• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

As much as I liked MH4, I can't seem to get into MHG. I found Village 1 boring and somehow made it to Village 2. I failed my HR 1 as well. I understand struggle but IDK what's up. Maybe I'm weak.

I can say I can't figure out what weapons I want to use.
Try the aerial switch axe. So fun.

Watch gaijin hunter's tutorial videos to see if there's a weapon that interests you.

And early village is trash. It gets better. The hub is much better.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Early village is always a slog. For mh gen, they just decided to put all the gathering and small monsters in the beginning and stuff the hyper monsters in the back. Hyper monsters are basically the new apex monsters.

ChrisD

Nah livid is when you are doing a capture mission and one of your cats kills the target while you're laying the trap. :|

Edit: I always carry a few dung bombs for situations like you describe. Pop one on the bulldrome and he'll get out of there quick smart.

omg that Palico would be swapped out ASAP

I should start carrying Dung Bombs, but my Inventory is a preset with a lone empty slot. One I don't think to fill in with them. It's a goofy OCD-ish thing as well: Unless I can carry the maximum of any item into battle, none of the specific item will come along. Don't ask, because I don't have a good answer. :|

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
omg that Palico would be swapped out ASAP

I should start carrying Dung Bombs, but my Inventory is a preset with a lone empty slot. One I don't think to fill in with them. It's a goofy OCD-ish thing as well: Unless I can carry the maximum of any item into battle, none of the specific item will come along. Don't ask, because I don't have a good answer. :|
What do you carry? At most i fill out 13 item slots. It used to be 20 in tri.
Do you carry mixing ingredients?

ChrisD

I carry ALL THE THINGS

Don't have system on me to check, but off the top of my head:

Book of Combos 1 & 2
Power/Armor Charm
Potion/Mega/BlueMushroom/Herb/Honey
Mega Demondrug/Armorskin
Mega Pickaxe/BugNet
Whetstones
Might Seed
Lightning/Pitfall Trap
Tranqs
Lifepowder
Nulberries
Paintballs

ermmm.... Can't remember the other few things.

Don't even use most of the stuff, and I veeeeerry rarely have to make more potions, but I like the feeling of being prepared for most situations. Except, of course, those that involve Dung/Smoke Bombs!

I don't even have Bombs and extra Trap Tools + Nets like was always carried in FU, no idea where they'd fit now lol.

Wanderer5

FINALLY, a low rank Teostra room lol. Decided to plan on asking around here for him in the next day or two, but glad I was able to get a couple hunts tonight, cause I want his hunting horn. Still need a couple webbings.:x

redcrayon

I always like reading what other hunter's default kit is.

The stuff I'll carry if fighting a monster:
Potions
Mega Potions
Steaks
Whetstones
Paintballs
Psychoserum
Max potion (in case I cart)
Farcaster (for emergency escapes or delivery subquest items)
Traps/tranqs
Nulberries (almost all the time)
Dung bombs
Antidote/cleanser/deoderant(specifically vs relevant monsters)
Hot/cold drink (if needed)
Power/armour charm/talon
Mega pick axes/nets for opportunistic harvesting

If I'm playing online, I'll take lifepowder too.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
There are some skills in this game that you just can't get good charms for.

Spirit (Challenger) and Handicraft, you can only get +3, OOO, for skills that go up to to 15 that means you have to dedicate a lot of your set to getting them.

Dak'kon

FINALLY, a low rank Teostra room lol. Decided to plan on asking around here for him in the next day or two, but glad I was able to get a couple hunts tonight, cause I want his hunting horn. Still need a couple webbings.:x

Is there a reason you want the Teostra horn over Hellblade? I know it has a third extra Blast but Hellblade has white sharp, a bit of affinity and Attack Boost L song. I guess it's more of a pain to upgrade too :p

Shengar

There are some skills in this game that you just can't get good charms for.

Spirit (Challenger) and Handicraft, you can only get +3, OOO, for skills that go up to to 15 that means you have to dedicate a lot of your set to getting them.

I have handicraft +5, though without slot.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I have handicraft +5, though without slot.

Ah you're right, I misread the table. I actually noticed I too have a +5, and mine has no slots either.

A decent Handi charm eluded me my entire time playing 4U (I eventually just had a good honed mix set instead). +5, OOO Handi is now going to be my white whale in this game (tho it seems like there are a lot of good weapons that don't even use S+1/2...)

The stuff I'll carry if fighting a monster:
Steaks

Use Energy Drinks instead of Well-Done Steaks:
- you can obtain them in bulk from the farm
- they use the short drinking animation instead of the long meat-eating animation
- they allow you to top-up small Stamina decreases as they give +25 when Steaks give +50
- they get you out of the yawning status.

Also I haven't tried yet as I'm a blademaster but gunners should carry Gourmet Fish which heal the whole red HP bar, very useful after getting hit by a strong attack.

redcrayon

Use Energy Drinks instead of Well-Done Steaks:
- you can obtain them in bulk from the farm
- they use the short drinking animation instead of the long meat-eating animation
- they allow you to top-up small Stamina decreases as they give +25 when Steaks give +50
- they get you out of the yawning status.

Also I haven't tried yet as I'm a blademaster but gunners should carry Gourmet Fish which heal the whole red HP bar, very useful after getting hit by a strong attack.
Good tip! I still haven't got out of the habit from earlier games but it's worth doing with Malfestio around.

Syril

Is anyone else finding Prowler to be their favorite weapon in this one? I love how their playstyle has a totally different set of strengths and weaknesses than hunters. At first they felt kind of weak and awkward, but there's a lot a depth in how their weapon and boomerang attacks link into each other. I'm kind of torn on whether I feel that Boomerang Pro and Piercing Boomerangs should be innate abilities or not. On the one hand, maintaining Piercing Boomerangs does take a not insignificant meter investment, but both of those abilities enhance such a fundamental part of the moveset in such a fundamental way that I don't see the point in not using them unless I'm doing a gathering run. It's to the point where when I look at the lists of Palicoes to hire, I only look either for one that has those two along with Big Boomerangs or ones to unlock other abilities off of.

On a semi-related topic, I also really like how the games have been gradually portraying the felynes more and more as equals in society. The earlier games had a tendency to portray them as second-class citizens (the first game had them as either servants or as annoyances and thieves), so it's nice in Generations to have it where if you played as one all the NPCs treat you like any other hunter.

Ohnonono

Am i missing something or are the Plate items from the big monsters some insanity that has a horrible drop rate at low rank and does not get any better at high rank? I have been farming for plates to up grade weapons and I swear they are rarer than fucking unicorns.

Tom_Cody

Is anyone else finding Prowler to be their favorite weapon in this one? I love how their playstyle has a totally different set of strengths and weaknesses than hunters. At first they felt kind of weak and awkward, but there's a lot a depth in how their weapon and boomerang attacks link into each other. I'm kind of torn on whether I feel that Boomerang Pro and Piercing Boomerangs should be innate abilities or not. On the one hand, maintaining Piercing Boomerangs does take a not insignificant meter investment, but both of those abilities enhance such a fundamental part of the moveset in such a fundamental way that I don't see the point in not using them unless I'm doing a gathering run. It's to the point where when I look at the lists of Palicoes to hire, I only look either for one that has those two along with Big Boomerangs or ones to unlock other abilities off of.

On a semi-related topic, I also really like how the games have been gradually portraying the felynes more and more as equals in society. The earlier games had a tendency to portray them as second-class citizens (the first game had them as either servants or as annoyances and thieves), so it's nice in Generations to have it where if you played as one all the NPCs treat you like any other hunter.
Is there a good Prowler guide online somewhere? I really haven't explored the mode outside of doing Prowler missions to unlock stuff.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's always this talk about god cats. Does anyone have a link to what these cats might be and how to start making them?

tuffy

Am i missing something or are the Plate items from the big monsters some insanity that has a horrible drop rate at low rank and does not get any better at high rank? I have been farming for plates to up grade weapons and I swear they are rarer than fucking unicorns.
They can be annoyingly rare. But if you've been playing with the same people a lot, you can trade in VE Silver Tickets to the Veggie Elder for most of the Plates - depending on which area you choose.

Ohnonono

They can be annoyingly rare. But if you've been playing with the same people a lot, you can trade in VE Silver Tickets to the Veggie Elder for most of the Plates - depending on which area you choose.

Please tell me what a VE Silver Ticket and what a Veggie Elder is. I am HR6 and have a hand full of advanced quests unlocked in single player mode and I have no idea what a Veggie Elder is. I have played a good bit of ad hoc helping my brother get through some of the hub quests.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Are plates actually that useful in this game? I have obtained so many plates without actually looking for them but I don't recall ever using one.

The upgrade system has destroyed the joys/hate of having to track down a specific Monster part in this game.

EDIT

Please tell me what a VE Silver Ticket and what a Veggie Elder is. I am HR6 and have a hand full of advanced quests unlocked in single player mode and I have no idea what a Veggie Elder is. I have played a good bit of ad hoc helping my brother get through some of the hub quests.
When you exchange Guild Cards with some players and do quests together with those same players your Unity Level will go up. After obtaining a undetermined amount of Unity Lv the leader at the Hunter's Hub may sporadically give you a Bronze/Silver/Gold Veggie Elder Ticket item.

You take that Ticket to the old man in red skin while Questing and the item you receive in return is dependent on the map location and ticket you give the old man. Typically Silver/Gold Tickets can be exchanged for the very rate Monster Parts such as Plates,Orbs,Ruby etc.

Ohnonono

Are plates actually that useful in this game? I have obtained so many plates without actually looking for them but I don't recall ever using one.

The upgrade system has destroyed the joys/hate of having to track down a specific Monster part in this game.

To get the fated four weapons to level 3 I think most of them require a plate. So if you are trying to use them you need multiple plates.

tuffy

If you've exchanged guild cards with other people you're playing with, your unity level with them will go up as you play with them. As your unity level goes up, somebody in the Hub area will give you VE Tickets of various kinds (Deluxe, Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc.). They'll have the usual yellow speech bubble when the ticket is available. The Veggie Elder is a little hunched over NPC character who hangs around in various maps in the game, often in base camp. If you bring a VE Ticket with you to that map and talk to him, he'll offer to exchange that ticket for something (but he won't tell you what, it depends on the map you're in). Give him a VE Silver Ticket and most of the rewards are Plates. I'd have to look up which map gives out which Plate, though.

Boney

Banned
Actuslly, i'm amazed at how forgiving this game has been about rare items like plates and gems. They upped it from 1-2% from tail carves, shinies and rewards, and added the possibility of getting them through regular carves and breaking enemy parts gives you more chances to get them.

But honestly, Desire Sensor is real. Just yesterday Fand wanted some S Magala wings, he got just the one while I got 5. My advice is to never be stuck with just one weapon path and start diversifying early, in which rare materials will dictate how you upgrade stuff instead of hoping and grinding for that rare drop. Worst way to ruin MH for oneself if you ask me.

Wasn't aware that's what tickets gave you. I guess gold tickets give you gems? What about the town and cat tickets?

spiritfox

I feel like Plate and Gem drops have been much better this time round. Deviant monsters do seem to drop more of their respective rares too. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Wasn't aware that's what tickets gave you. I guess gold tickets give you gems? What about the town and cat tickets?

Kiranico has all the trades. Here is the base VE ticket for example. The other tickets are used for crafting, and are required materials for some equipment.

Ohnonono

If you've exchanged guild cards with other people you're playing with, your unity level with them will go up as you play with them. As your unity level goes up, somebody in the Hub area will give you VE Tickets of various kinds (Deluxe, Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc.). They'll have the usual yellow speech bubble when the ticket is available. The Veggie Elder is a little hunched over NPC character who hangs around in various maps in the game, often in base camp. If you bring a VE Ticket with you to that map and talk to him, he'll offer to exchange that ticket for something (but he won't tell you what, it depends on the map you're in). Give him a VE Silver Ticket and most of the rewards are Plates. I'd have to look up which map gives out which Plate, though.

Damn. We were playing ad hoc and thus never exchanged guild cards. All that hunting and no tickets! Sad state of affairs.

georly

I just got HR5 last night, but I'm still in low rank gear. Like really low rank (volvidon). It's not thaaaaaaaaaaaaat big a deal since I rarely get hit, but when I do get hit it's like 80% of my health on a good one.

I'm bow - what should I be aiming for? Only skill i seem to like is rapidcharge - what other skill should I be going for? Whats a good armor set I can farm w rank 4-5 HR stuff available to me? Volvidon again?

And I also wanna get into S+S when there's already a gunner in the group - any particular S+S skills I should look out for that differ from traditional blademaster fare?

Mupod

Assuming we finish our journey to Grimclaw 10, suggestions on what to make? The guns seem awful, the armor seems like it'd work for GS if you had a good fastcharge charm. Blademaster weapons all look ok...I'm sure there's a use for native white sharpness stuff considering the lack of slots on Deviant gear.

The yian garuga in the metroid mission is enormous. geez lol

Too big
for smash

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Ultrabum

Assuming we finish our journey to Grimclaw 10, suggestions on what to make? The guns seem awful, the armor seems like it'd work for GS if you had a good fastcharge charm. Blademaster weapons all look ok...I'm sure there's a use for native white sharpness stuff considering the lack of slots on Deviant gear.

Too big
for smash

I'm thinking about dropping partbreaker to get fast charge with a GS with 1 slot, with a 2 slot GS I can get partbreaker back... If only I had a better charm!

spiritfox

I just got HR5 last night, but I'm still in low rank gear. Like really low rank (volvidon). It's not thaaaaaaaaaaaaat big a deal since I rarely get hit, but when I do get hit it's like 80% of my health on a good one.

I'm bow - what should I be aiming for? Only skill i seem to like is rapidcharge - what other skill should I be going for? Whats a good armor set I can farm w rank 4-5 HR stuff available to me? Volvidon again?

And I also wanna get into S+S when there's already a gunner in the group - any particular S+S skills I should look out for that differ from traditional blademaster fare?

You can get FastCharge via Mosgharl S chest, arms and legs. The rest you can try Jaggi S to get Attack to +7 and then gem in the rest.

Wide Range is decent for a more support SnS role, since you can use items while drawn anyway. Also Status if you're running a status weapon. Dreadqueen set is pretty good for SnS in the long run.

georly

You can get FastCharge via Mosgharl S chest, arms and legs. The rest you can try Jaggi S to get Attack to +7 and then gem in the rest.

Wide Range is decent for a more support SnS role, since you can use items while drawn anyway. Also Status if you're running a status weapon. Dreadqueen set is pretty good for SnS in the long run.

Thanks for the tips! :) I'll look into this and work on it tonight, much appreciated.

Edit: Oh moshgarl is the pumpkin set. Bah where do i start to get that in this game?

Edit 2: Oh by farming seeds? I might already have some haha.

redcrayon

I feel like Plate and Gem drops have been much better this time round. Deviant monsters do seem to drop more of their respective rares too. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Definitely. The hyper/higher level monsters have good drop rates compared to previous games too, I picked up 5 Rathalos rubies in about ten hyper Rath/silver Rath hunts.

It's nice that they're releasing event quests more frequently, and with high rank content right off the bat in this game. 4U had the problem where you'd have nothing to do for a whole month, then suddenly you'd get a whole glut of content that you couldn't really handle all at once.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Are we doing the default loadout thing?

Mine is:

Potions
Mega Potions
Antidotes
Cleanser
Cold Drinks
Hot Drinks
Energy Drinks
Lifepowder
Mega Pickaxe
Iron Pickaxe (I keep forgetting to bring extra pickaxes for Sakura Charm Hunting...)
Mega Bugnet
Farcaster
Dung Bomb
Honey
Might Seed
Adamant Seed

I pretty much never use the items in bold. Maybe I should take them out...

tuffy

Trying to remember everything in my default item set isn't easy.
  • Potions
  • Mega Potions
  • Max Potions
  • Ancient Potion
  • Antidotes
  • Hot Drinks (put back before quest if not needed)
  • Cold Drinks (put back before quest if not needed)
  • Dung Bombs
  • Powercharm
  • Armorcharm
  • Well-Done Steaks (usually not needed)
  • Combo Book 1
  • Huskberries (for shot combines)
  • Needleberries (for shot combines)
  • various shots in gunner pouch
I'll take along Cleansers and Nullberries on a hunt-by-hunt basis, but often not.

Mupod

Are we doing the default loadout thing?

Mine is:

Potions
Mega Potions
Antidotes
Cleanser
Cold Drinks
Hot Drinks
Energy Drinks
Lifepowder
Mega Pickaxe
Iron Pickaxe (I keep forgetting to bring extra pickaxes for Sakura Charm Hunting...)
Mega Bugnet
Farcaster
Dung Bomb
Honey
Might Seed
Adamant Seed

I pretty much never use the items in bold. Maybe I should take them out...

I have about 6 loadouts due to various gunner sets but haven't really made a 'serious mode' one yet. I bring the basics like potions, drinks, traps, tranqs, lifepowder, farcasters, dung, flash bombs and max potions. Powercharms and talons take up 4 slots. Antidotes I bring situationally. Energy drinks are my primary food, I never bring steaks. I'm too lazy to ever remember cleansers and nulberries. Lifepowder is an absolute must online and it's easy to keep it stocked these days.

As a gunner I always bring at least one combo book and items to combine for ammo, even in quick hunts I tend to burn through 99 normal 2 very quickly due to siege mode abuse so that is standard equipment. Elemental ammo often needs a mid-fight combine as well, but it's not as bad these days with built-in ammo.

One thing I've learned is to bring whetstones in my gunner loadouts. Just in case I pick the wrong one when I go out as a blademaster. And both drinks all the time. If I need space I'll drop them back in the box manually, but I leave them in the item set.

My 'serious' loadouts I bring an ancient potion and 10 honey, and mats to make more max potions. Might seeds if I can fit em. I'll bring a mega armor skin to use at the start of a hunt sometimes. For tough arena quests I bring mats to make more farcasters and flash bombs, maybe even extra trap material. Immunizers can be helpful. Sometimes my bags are so packed I have to leave behind the armorcharms.

Thinking about it now, I used to bring jerky (recovers red health) religiously...is there an equivalent these days? Getting hit by a hyper monster as a gunner means you're gonna have about 2 mega pots worth of red hp.

Top Bottom