• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Infinite

Anyone recommend some SnS sets for HR? They don't all have to be the best, as I'm interesting in picking the most "OK" sets I can find that look fabulous. I'm primarily playing with elemental weapons and am willing to build a set per element if that's still a thing.

Also, after ignoring guard for the first 40 hours, started mixing it into my SnS play. I always loved the feeling of guarding an attack as lance in monhun but thought I would take tons of damage with SnS. Turns out it's almost just as good and just as satisfying! Actually considering Guard +2... (I know evading is way better than guarding, and I've played evade styles, but I L O V E the feeling of guarding a giant monster attack).

Guarding with the sns is more of a last resort than anything. You mainly want to roll out of the way or round force shit when you have it.
For HR sets its looks like the HR glavenus is pretty good and you get a decent amount of slot to work with as well

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Whew, just finished all village quests. The hardest quest was silver and gold in the arena but the biggest pain in the ass by far was MHGen's "The field's a stage" quest. Gammoth, mizu, astalos, and glav in the arena with 2 monsters at once always (as soon as one dies another appears).

And all I got was this crappy health +50 headpiece as a reward. They probably should've made the barrage piercing or hayabusa feather the reward instead because those are way more useful.

WVW69jeYDkMfD7ys3X

And all I got was this crappy health +50 headpiece as a reward. They probably should've made the barrage piercing or hayabusa feather the reward instead because those are way more useful.
It took me 3 days of near non-stop playing to unlock that thing. The excessive number of gathering quests was punishment enough.

How does this custom set sound?

Nargacuga Dual Blades

Critical Eye+3
Super Critical
Razor Sharp

I end up with 70% affinity and criticals do 40% extra damage as opposed to the usual 25%, if GameFAQs is to be believed. It also looks really nice because it's mostly Rhopessa armor.

Would the insane critical chance and critical boost make up for lack of element? I already made the set but haven't fully upgraded any of my weapons yet, although my kill times so far look promising.

On that note, would the Silverwind Nargacuga DBs be worth making?

I have a similar set in the silverwind nargacuga armor with the regular narga weapon. Its dope as fuck. And it's use is far more varied because the element is only really useful on monster weak to it. Until you are bored and building vary specific sets for certain monsters, don't worry about no element.

DrArchon

Fought Mizutsune for the first time in the 3-star quest where it shows up while you're hunting a Bulldrome. Are you able to kill it early? Because I decided to try and kill one early and whacked away at it with my new Khezu IG for something like 25 minutes and didn't manage to get it to low health, even though I mounted it 3+ times and saw it get exhausted 3+ times. Checked on Kiranico and it doesn't look like it has that much HP, so I guess it's just unkillable? That seems pretty cheap if that's the case.

tuffy

Fought Mizutsune for the first time in the 3-star quest where it shows up while you're hunting a Bulldrome. Are you able to kill it early? Because I decided to try and kill one early and whacked away at it with my new Khezu IG for something like 25 minutes and didn't manage to get it to low health, even though I mounted it 3+ times and saw it get exhausted 3+ times. Checked on Kiranico and it doesn't look like it has that much HP, so I guess it's just unkillable? That seems pretty cheap if that's the case.
All four flagship monsters show up early as intruder monsters with 3x normal health. It is possible to beat them early given enough effort, but it's not really advisable unless you just want to see if you can do it. They only show up in quests the first time so it's not really possible to farm them early either.

tm24

The introduction to those monsters have inflated hp pools

Voidguts

I have the weirdest desyncing problems in local multi sometimes. Like, me and my friend fighting the same monster in two different locations on the same map. So incredibly weird to get tripped by a hit from a Hunter on the other end of the map. I don't remember this being a problem in MH4U...

unfortunately AFAIK non-boss monsters have never been synced up.

sonny4p

Finally figured how to go online questing. Gosh this game is so much fun with other people. I've been missing out on so much!!
I have a question and that is I am currently HR 5* but the party was clearing 6* quests. Will I get credit for it when I reach 6* in my game?

tuffy

Finally figured how to go online questing. Gosh this game is so much fun with other people. I've been missing out on so much!!
I have a question and that is I am currently HR 5* but the party was clearing 6* quests. Will I get credit for it when I reach 6* in my game?
You will. They'll be checked-off when you get to 6*.

DrArchon

All four flagship monsters show up early as intruder monsters with 3x normal health. It is possible to beat them early given enough effort, but it's not really advisable unless you just want to see if you can do it. They only show up in quests the first time so it's not really possible to farm them early either.

Wish I had known that before I wasted all that time. Guess I'll keep that in mind for when the others pop up.

And I was doing so well too, but with 3x HP there's no way I would've had enough items to beat it and the fucking Bulldrome that was the actual target.

ChrisD

Wish I had known that before I wasted all that time. Guess I'll keep that in mind for when the others pop up.

And I was doing so well too, but with 3x HP there's no way I would've had enough items to beat it and the fucking Bulldrome that was the actual target.

SCREW
THAT
BULLDROME

If it wasn't the main target I could have just killed him then took to Mizu.
That's still the only quest I've failed and all because that freaking Bull kept interfering with the fight. I haven't been angry at MH in a long while, but him ramming me right into Mizu's super slam to take my last life (he also was the root cause for the other two) had me pretty livid.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Anyone interested in helping me clear out some of the leftover quest in Low Rank Hunters Hub? Of course I'm referring to the Delivery Quest,Killing non Key Quest Monsters, Killing an X amount of small monsters and some Prowler Quests.

If anyone is interested in joining me the Hunter Hub ID is 63 - 5612 - 9852 - 5313

ChrisD

Dear Random Group: How in the name of Ukanlos did all three of you cart to Gammoth? You're HR6. You don't do that what the *.

I usually bring my Wide range+2 set (talisman + weapon slots on my S Narg set) and butt chug potions if I'm playing with randoms for the first time. So many people refuse to heal when they get to 1shot territory.

ChrisD

I usually bring my Wide range+2 set (talisman + weapon slots on my S Narg set) and butt chug potions if I'm playing with randoms for the first time. So many people refuse to heal when they get to 1shot territory.

That's a good idea, but I'm a serious item pincher. :c

I may only use an Herb therefore leaving a chunk of damage on my health bar, but I make certain I'm (almost) always out of one-shot. If the monster's big move is highly telegraphed I'll just go with the risk though. But yeah these guys wouldn't heal at all. Wasted all three of my Lifepowders on them man.

I left them immediately after quest ended and ran into a different, far better and funner to play with group. So it all worked out in the end. Spent the last hour and a half with 'em. =)

spiritfox

As a gunner everything below half health is a one shot, so I always pop potions even though it's just a minor scratch. Even when I'm not playing a gunner.

sonny4p

Damn randoms lied to me..tells me my turn to pick a quest is "next" and "after" but they all bolt after I help kill 3 gammoth event quest.
Ahhhhhh BURNED

CTLance

So I watched the credits roll yesterday. That pre-credits cutscene sure came out of the blue. Like, one moment I'm battling a spinning top of fire and rage, next I'm like wtf did I just watch. Never change, Japan. :D
That said, finally some more interesting monsters. With the exception of the cover ones the selection so far has been rather meh.

Do we get anything for completing all tutorials? I have completed all village quests (up to there), so that missing check mark is kinda bugging me, but after so many games my brain would surely liquefy if I were to slog through all of them.

Ohnonono

Tried HR6 Glavenous last night. I need to learn his patterns a lot better. Everything I have is at the point where it needs hyper monster parts to upgrade and I am getting whomped by him. May craft some Mizitsune DS or something to maybe help kill him a bit faster. Having a hard time getting the timing of his big tail swipe down.

Mupod

Gunner vs hyper monsters is always in 1shot territory. I actually really like the Shagaru gunner set as it has Peak Performance/Rationer. So I keep myself topped off and half the time don't use up my healing items. Lifepowder is real easy to farm/keep stocked in this game too.

Closing in on finally getting a decent Pierce set, just need some HR Narga parts and 3 Rath Gleam. I really want evade extender, dead eye, pierce up and recoil+1 but I'll need a much better charm for that to happen so I'll settle for less for now.

Hugstable

Banned
So I've been doing multiplayer hunts with my bro and we needed some more potions right now, saw the DLC item pack that gives like 50 Mega Potions and 50 honey to make more Mega Potions. I went to download it from DLC list thing and then went to Chamberlyne in my house to claim items. After hitting claim on that, I can't seem to find the items anywhere! Checked my box and inventory and can't find it all. Did I mess something up and my items from DLC are gone forever, or where am I supposed to find that stuff?

EDIT: NVM I'm dumb.

Beats

Been mostly using the EX Rathalos S set late game. It has 11 points in attack so with a decent attack talisman you can get:
Attack Up (L)
Tropic Hunter
Weakness Exploit
Enough slots to get some 5 slot skill.

It's pretty nice for fighting monsters in hot areas. I went with TrueShot Up for my 5 slot skill to power up the built in water shots on the Mizutsune HBG. I'm having a hard time making something similar with Polar Hunter instead of Tropic Hunter though. `-`

DrArchon

Which regions are the best for farming Kinsect Jelly? I feel like almost every time I gather Kinsect stuff I just end up with a whole bunch of Ambrosia that I don't care about. It seems like each region just has one element of ambrosia that it hands out for free and I get none of the stuff that actually matters, like that precious speed jelly.

Alternatively, what does it take to get the trader to start offering new stuff? I'm assuming I need to clear a certain mission first, will that only pop up when I get enough points for Bherna?

Fandangox

Which regions are the best for farming Kinsect Jelly? I feel like almost every time I gather Kinsect stuff I just end up with a whole bunch of Ambrosia that I don't care about. It seems like each region just has one element of ambrosia that it hands out for free and I get none of the stuff that actually matters, like that precious speed jelly.

Alternatively, what does it take to get the trader to start offering new stuff? I'm assuming I need to clear a certain mission first, will that only pop up when I get enough points for Bherna?

Kiranico or the MHGen DB android app are your best bet if you want a very specific item.

For example I just looked up where to find "speed jelly" and it lists the chances of getting it in each numbered area in each map, with High Rank Marshlands Area 7 having a 70% of giving you one.

Pejo

Here's what I found about bare minumum to unlock bee yard:

"You need to first complete enough Nyanta quests in Village 2*. Once you do the Nyanta Village 3* quests will show up. Complete these quests until the one where you need to hunt Vespoids shows up. Once you complete that quest you unlock the ability to multiply Bugs which gives you the honey/nectar farm."

Nyanta are the prowler quests, btw.

I think i just unlocked it by progressing through guild ranks though. It's way better to spend time to unlock the bee yard than gather them individually.

I was not expecting that cinematic after completing the village 5 urgent quest lol.

How come I cannot get fish cart from the cat? I thought I did all the key missions in the village.

spiritfox

I am so over monsters whose main attack is moving really fast. And being sent flying 100 feet because I happen to clip a leg or something while the moving really fast animation is playing. Ugh, the worst.

Pejo

The guest on the latest Kinda Funny episode said this is the best jumping in point for those wanting to learn MH. T/F?

There's a great selection of weapons and playstyles, huge Quality of Life improvements, and no G-Rank so it's overall easier until the high rank deviant stuff. So I say True.

Mupod

The guest on the latest Kinda Funny episode said this is the best jumping in point for those wanting to learn MH. T/F?

I'd still say 4U, but everyone is playing this now. 4U just has a way better presentation for newcomers. In terms of pure gameplay this has many improvements but it has no story and the early game sucks. Obviously to me that doesn't matter much but Generations has more fan pandering and not as much of its own identity.

Nothing wrong with 3U on Wii U either if you want better controls and graphics, but I'd imagine online is sparse now.

tuffy

I also think 4U would make a better starting point for new players. Its story hooks, one-time event fights, and town unlocks provides a more balanced motivation to continue beyond just unlocking better gear/hunter arts/etc. Generations has a number of gameplay improvements, but it's more targeted at longtime players since it features a lot of returning villages, NPC cameos and monsters from previous games and isn't as much of its own thing.

Juraash

So despite my resistance to the psp stick mod, I broke down and ordered some the other day. After seeing tons of videos where people were mentioning my exact issue (down and right no longer registering consistently) I couldn't justify not trying it. They should be at the house when I get home from work and I can get back to playing hopefully.

I think I have Lavasioth up next for my keys in 5*. So maybe not the best welcome back but I'll just be glad to be progressing again.

Reknoc

Do the prowler quests until you unlock the bee yard, that's a great source of Jellys and the items to boost them.

I'd say 4 does a much better job of easing a newcomer in due to the higher emphasis on story.

otoh though newcomers should be introduced to the moga sweetheart asap and Gen is probably better for that.

Top Bottom