• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Dragoshi1

Gah hah hah, finally beat Village Glavenus, and that cutscene afterwards was the best.

So catchy~

Also, of the 4, Astalos and Galvenus were the most fun and hype to fight, Gammoth was meh, and Mizutsune can die in a fire(which it did, blew it up).

Now it's a matter of what to wear.

Best armor suggestions for village quests and HR1-2 for a SA Aerial style user?

El Odio

Banned
I've got 25hrs logged now and after finishing up most of the level 2 quests, less there's more requests I'm missing, and a few of the hub level 1 hunts by myself I feel like I'm ready to start really getting into the online aspect of the game without acting like a complete scrub. Been using the Switch Axe with aerial style and trance slash I which comes in handy after toppling most monsters.

Tom_Cody

15 hours in and I finally beat the Tetsucabra, I think I finally get Monster Hunter now. The excitement and fist pumping moment of taking down a big beast, man what an awesome feeling.
Congrats. I remember the same feeling from when I was introduced to the series with 4U.

ChrisD

Gah hah hah, finally beat Village Glavenus, and that cutscene afterwards was the best.

So catchy~

Also, of the 4, Astalos and Galvenus were the most fun and hype to fight, Gammoth was meh, and Mizutsune can die in a fire(which it did, blew it up).

Now it's a matter of what to wear.

Best armor suggestions for village quests and HR1-2 for a SA Aerial style user?

Dang, I've seen three people now claim that they hate Mizutsune and I feel like I'm a bit nuts for it taking the top spot in "Funnest fight in Generations".

I think you all just need to try Guild Hammer on 'em! :D

ChrisD

All them weeaboos with their long swords and shouting their moves when activating hunter arts.

Oh yeah, I love those guys. I mean I hate them because they keep tripping me at the head where they don't belong, but their HA's always get me to crack a smile. It's so goofy.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is it worth upgrading the initial Petrified Weapons or would it be better to save and go for the better ones? I guess that's one aspect I'm unclear about since I'm early on. I've got enough to upgrade several of them but not sure if it's worth doing.

Upgrade the weapons you're using. No reason not to. The parts and zenny required to level them up is negligible. You can always branch them into a different upgrade path later if one look good.

Condom

Finally got the game 2 days ago and it's better than I expected, regret not hopping on at launch now. Reminds me of portable third for some reason.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
All them weeaboos with their long swords and shouting their moves when activating hunter arts.

It's hilarious that this is already a thing that I recognize and I've barely done any rooms with pubs.

Dang, I've seen three people now claim that they hate Mizutsune and I feel like I'm a bit nuts for it taking the top spot in "Funnest fight in Generations".
I wasn't too thrilled with Mizutsune my first time, but I began to dig him after farming him for my Mizu weapons. I think Gammoth is the worst, but only because he feels very straightforward and his moves are all a little boring.

I also wasn't feeling Mizu's theme the first time around, either. I eventually realized how crazy I was. The Fated Four all have great themes, though.

Themes: Astalos >>> Mizu > Glavenus > Gammoth

Fights: Mizu > Astalos > Glavenus > Gammoth.

redcrayon

For the most part I see a good mix now as aerial style lets anyone get in on toppling monsters, whereas MH4 had loads of insect glaives. If I see two of the same weapon in a party now it's almost always multiple long swords turning a downed monster into a trip-fest. I always go for the end of the tail, the wings or jumping strikes in order to avoid being constantly interrupted by them, but I can't fault their enthusiasm! :D

Seeing a few prowlers now too which just looks really cool when you're all chasing a monster as a mix of hunters and felynes. Them not carting as often is good for the lengthier endgame hunts- I had one yesterday which was Hypers Ludroth, Plesioth, Nibbelsnarf then finally Lagi in the water arena. We failed on the final hurdle as a wounded, enraged Lagi took out two wounded hunters afflicted by lightning-blight with an electric pulse. We'd been fighting for over 25 mins. Both of them quit immediately. I'm always surprised how many people are angry/ashamed and ragequit without a word when a hunt fails, it's a learning experience. Maybe they do it because they would rather quit than get booted? I'd never do that, everyone was fighting well and the battle was fun, it was avoidable but entirely understandable what happened. It's not like it was the same guy carting three times in ten minutes.

redcrayon

Is it worth upgrading the initial Petrified Weapons or would it be better to save and go for the better ones? I guess that's one aspect I'm unclear about since I'm early on. I've got enough to upgrade several of them but not sure if it's worth doing.
It's worth upgrading stuff at least to see what any paths that unlock at a higher level are, particularly those that are rarer (they will be a different colour) than the initial path. Even fully upgraded rarity 1 weapons are still good weapons while you're waiting for better stuff, the materials used are pretty common compared to later stuff.

A fully upgraded lower rarity weapon will also often be stronger than a level 1 weapon of a higher rarity. That rarer weapon will eventually outclass it, but it will take lots of money and rarer drops to do so, so spending a little on upgrading the initial rarity 1 weapons will at least get you something to help you hunt more easily in the mean time for little cost.

What I do is buy/forge one of everything available for the weapons I use (and buy/forge a fresh one if I switch paths). It's easier to use the best weapons you've been able to buy/upgrade than suck all the fun out of the game by grinding for one specific drop because you've got your heart set on one specific weapon, and even then you might change your weapon when you change your armour set. I'm often in the blacksmiths, flicking through my 20+ lances, seeing which ones I can continue/afford to upgrade with the spare parts I've got lying around!

People should really disable the auto message for receiving heals. When I'm using a Hunting Horn that has a healing song, the chat may get clogged up like

David: Thanks for the heal!
Pierre: Merci pour le soin!
Stefano: Grazie per l'aiuto!
XxKINGxX: SUPER HEAL RECEIVED!
Pierre: Monster is capturable

Which may even lead to problems such as in this example.

redcrayon

People should really disable the auto message for receiving heals. When I'm using a Hunting Horn that has a healing song, the chat may get clogged up like

Pierre: Monster is capturable

Which may even lead to problems such as in this example.
Agree that seems very annoying, but I think that's quite a hunting horn specific thing though, and I'd disable it on an ad-hoc basis if I was hunting with such a player (or one with wide-range) after the first quest. I do quite like it, when I'm burning through lifepowder, If other hunters have it set to acknowledge that I'm spending resources to keep the team alive.

One monhun constant I always find a bit unnecessary is 'sorry!' upon carting. No need to apologise, it happens. Get back in there and get even with the monster! :D I find the rage quitting more tedious, as if the idea of being in a room with people who have seen them act as anything less than the optimum in a computer game is something they can't handle.

What seems to happen often is someone carts once, then goes back in without the food boosts and carts again. I always pack a max or ancient potion to max my health gauge if the worst happens, on the basis that if I've carted once, going in with less health is going to be harder. Just the act of burning a resource tends to make me calm down and go back in with a clear head, setting up my buffs and acting with caution as if I'm starting all over again. Maybe that sounds silly. :D

CTLance

Man, fuck Lightcrystals. Again. I have like three dozen upgrades that require several of them each, and that means I have to farm the ice areas in the Marshlands until I drown in other ores and kill a fuckton of Gypceros. Hoo fucking ray. I just cannot wait to do this.

And I fully know that it's just the first of these "rare upgrade gate materials".

But still, fuck lightcrystals. They're the first, and most annoying.

In other news, I finally got off my fat arse and started dabbling in some Hub quests. HR2 now, yay. Blagongo was a surprise, I didn't have any problems with him during the Village quests, but the HR1 Urgent was actually a bit of work. So much running around and evading because the fucker just cannot sit still for a second.

Hammer still best weapon. <3

Man, fuck Lightcrystals. Again. I have like three dozen upgrades that require several of them each, and that means I have to farm the ice areas in the Marshlands until I drown in other ores and kill a fuckton of Gypceros. Hoo fucking ray. I just cannot wait to do this.

And I fully know that it's just the first of these "rare upgrade gate materials".

But still, fuck lightcrystals. They're the first, and most annoying.

In other news, I finally got off my fat arse and started dabbling in some Hub quests. HR2 now, yay. Blagongo was a surprise, I didn't have any problems with him during the Village quests, but the HR1 Urgent was actually a bit of work. So much running around and evading because the fucker just cannot sit still for a second.

Hammer still best weapon. <3

Wait till you get to high rank before bothering to farming those. They are purposefully rare in LR.

CTLance

Wait till you get to high rank before bothering to farming those. They are purposefully rare in LR.
Yep, like I said, rare-ish gate material.

But I cannot wait. This is Monster Hunter. What else is there to do except craft and then upgrade gear? :D
Especially in Generations with its slow startup.

I'm trying to decide on a weapon to use in a group. So far lance is my favorite, but does it lose too much damage online? Is it still viable without countering as much?

redcrayon

I'm trying to decide on a weapon to use in a group. So far lance is my favorite, but does it lose too much damage online? Is it still viable without countering as much?

It's not just about raw damage. Lance users can bunker down as they only take minimal shielding damage, and stay in close to keep notching up damage (and status effects) immediately after when everyone else is still standing up from evading radial attacks. Aerial style combined with the range of a lance means that you can still get hits on fast monsters that won't stand still and are moving away, I'm regularly winning aerial jousts with fliers that way! You also won't be tripping the others.

If I'm in a team with several GS/Hammer/SA/LS users (and it's not an experienced team that's killing everything in five minutes regardless), I'll eat for the skill to get monsters to focus on me, take my Seregios armour with constitution+2 (reduces stamina loss from blocking etc) and tank while they butcher it. Particularly on arena battles that give less time for people to heal. Otherwise I focus on staying in close and just notching up damage slowly but surely.

It's not in the top tier for raw damage inflicted, but rounds out a team nicely. I'm totally biased though :D I think everything is viable if the hunter explores the possibilities and the range of its uses.

I've had more issues with soloing lance, as it doesn't quite feel aggressive enough to end guild fights in good time. On the other hand, I love being able to block the worst that brute wyverns can throw at me. My reactions aren't good enough for adept style these days! Offensive skills like Tropic Hunter and Tenderiser (Rath EX armour) and Critical Eye all help me make the most out of every single jab though. Poke. poke. Pokey-poke-poke. That's how we roll.

co1onel

Lance can kill faster than any other melee weapon in solo. With striker style, the charge finisher has a motion value of 70, can be combo'd into after the 3rd poke, and has a small cool down window. You can do more damage than a full GS charge in half the time.

I don't think its as good online because you can't just spam the charge move without running over your teammates all the time. It also has no armor lock on the pokes, so you'll get tripped constantly. That said, every weapon is perfectly viable online. I don't think it's something you should even worry about. Just use whatever you find most fun, the monster will still die plenty fast.

redcrayon

Lance can kill faster than any other melee weapon in solo. With striker style, the charge finisher has a motion value of 70, can be combo'd into after the 3rd poke, and has a small cool down window. You can do more damage than a full GS charge in half the time.

I don't think its as good online because you can't just spam the charge move without running over your teammates all the time. It also has no armor lock on the pokes, so you'll get tripped constantly. That said, every weapon is perfectly viable online. I don't think it's something you should even worry about. Just use whatever you find most fun, the monster will still die plenty fast.

Whenever everyone is bashing a monster online, I jump out of the crowd and off the monster for the triple aerial hit, and then combo into the triple finisher somewhere else. Getting constantly tripped is annoying but I don't really blame the others for that- the monster is down and people want to lay the hurt on, it's the mechanics that's the issue rather than etiquette. I try to stay clear of the crowd, aiming for wings and tails.

Agree on the charge move- I use it a lot offline but only sparingly online. Usually when I've blocked a charging monster then I turn around and follow its charge.

Beats

The metroid set doesn't seem that bad. It doesn't have a waist piece so you can throw in a Chakra Waistlet to get 3 more slots and still maintain the look. It has some good defensive properties too with the 20 resistance to everything except Dragon and it has Blightproof. Ended up throwing in TrueShot Up and Thunder Atk+2 on top of the other skills since it has has built in P. Thunder S Lv2 and rapid fires Dazzling S.

Needs a bunch of Samus coins to fully upgrade the armor and Arm Cannon though plus a Rajang Nerve and Ukanlos Gem for the final upgrade on the Arm Cannon. `-`

Everythhing about the samus armor and gun is shit

Shiiiiiiiiiiit
At least you didn't choose a girl character so you could get the Samus Armor and gun only to find out they were G rank and then proceed to spend 300 hours playing the game and getting uo there only to find the armor and gun were shit.

Heh
Heh heh heh
Hehehehe

;___________;

RedFury

Anyone know any good mixed sets for horn? Looking for evade+1, razor sharp, maestro, ear plug. Gaijin hunter had a mixed set in his horn tutorial with a mixed set but can't tell what it is.

So I'm still low rank, using the stupid armor that gives me Attack L, but I just want to look cool now and was thinking of farming for Nargacuga low rank set. Think it is worth it? I'm Aerial SwitchAxe

Just finished Shaggy in the village with my Adept LS. The narga LS with Ratholos armor was just too powerful. Shaggy hit me kind of hard, but Gore and most of the mosnters before him just went down so fast.

I switched to a set with WE and Razor Sharp (I need a new tali for AuS) and built the Obsidian dual blades to start over in the Hub. Looking forward to finally trying my second weapon in MonHun (I was exclusively LS in 4U).

Boney

Banned
The metroid set doesn't seem that bad. It doesn't have a waist piece so you can throw in a Chakra Waistlet to get 3 more slots and still maintain the look. It has some good defensive properties too with the 20 resistance to everything except Dragon and it has Blightproof. Ended up throwing in TrueShot Up and Thunder Atk+2 on top of the other skills since it has has built in P. Thunder S Lv2 and rapid fires Dazzling S.

Needs a bunch of Samus coins to fully upgrade the armor and Arm Cannon though plus a Rajang Nerve and Ukanlos Gem for the final upgrade on the Arm Cannon. `-`
Cannon is terribad with the ammo distribution and the average recoil. I'm not sure how much dazzling shot does but it seems powerful enough but you can only load it one at a time. The load art doesn't load rapid fire so you don't get to load the shots that matter that way (unless level 3 does).
I have my samus with elemental and and fire resistance added but it doesnt really work and gonna have to change into something else.

Is dazzling electric? You'd figure that they'd make a bigger deal about ice shots too since metroid and everything but if it's thunder, you get a nice boost from those two and rapid fire lightning lvl 1.

At least you didn't choose a girl character so you could get the Samus Armor and gun only to find out they were G rank and then proceed to spend 300 hours playing the game and getting uo there only to find the armor and gun were shit.

Heh
Heh heh heh
Hehehehe

;___________;
Rip

That's Desire Sensor in it's ultimate form

Shengar

Heh
Heh heh heh
Hehehehe

;___________;

Hey, some female G Rank armor in 4U is pretty good.

redcrayon

Just fought Amatsu, the storm dragon for the first time. (Needs HR70 to unlock, apparently). The OHKO move took out the whole team (including me). Dodge, people! Dodge! :D

Top Bottom