• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Ulthwe

Am I the only one NOT understanding at all the charts on the online MH manual?

Here's the guild lance one:
10721_1.jpg

jahasaja

People who use adept, how disappointed will you be if the next MH does not allow you to play this style?

I think everything in this game pacing, story, too easy village quest line, etc is worse than MH4U. However, because of the Adept hunter style it is my favourite MH game to date. it is just plain fun...

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
People who use adept, how disappointed will you be if the next MH does not allow you to play this style?

I think everything in this game pacing, story, too easy village quest line, etc is worse than MH4U. However, because of the Adept hunter style it is my favourite MH game to date. it is just plain fun...
I use Adept Bow and while I would miss Adept Style it won't be a huge loss for me because I would still have Evade+ 1/2 and Evade Extender.

In fact I completely predict that Monster Hunter 5 won't have all 4 Style anymore. At most I predict we keep Guild and Aerial Style along with Hunter Arts but Adept and Striker will be gone.

spiritfox

I feel that Adept breaks a lot of monsters since you can dodge pretty much everything. If it does return, which I highly doubt, it'll probably be nerfed significantly.

Mupod

It's been a huge gamechanger for my use of HBG, the power reload mechanic is fun but the big thing is how it affects my use of siege mode. I was always a 'limiter off' HBG user but this has changed how I use the weapon completely. It's much safer to sit in siege mode close to a monster since you can dodge roll out of it with a huge amount of invulnerability, and on top of that you can use dodges to reposition and instantly go back into siege. It took some practice to deal with certain awkward aspects such as reorienting myself during a power reload, but it feels great now. If Adept is taken out I really hope they retain some of its mechanics moving forward with HBG.

Adept in general I feel is super OP in early game, but I still don't think it's as good as evade+2 (or 3). The purpose of evade skills is to allow you to attack from positions that might otherwise be unsafe. Now you can roll through a tail swipe or something and just keep attacking. That's why I always ran evade+2 - but while Adept's invulnerability is powerful, the counterattacks or roadie runs it forces on you don't allow that same dynamic.

It works for bowguns very well because it actually saves you time and gives you a power boost you can use however you want. It's sometimes detrimental - for example if you 'adept' dodge Zinogre's first paw slam you HAVE to go into the run to save yourself which wastes a lot of time and screws up positioning. But overall it is a huge benefit. SA or DB on the other hand I feel would be better off running guild style and evasion+2. If I dodge an attack or a roar I want to just quickly sidestep it and keep smacking the part I was hitting.

Voror

For weapons, is it better to buy the initial forms and eventually build them into the later forms? Like I want to get an Aksa Switch. Can I, and should I, buy one when it is available or go through the family tree starting with the Iron Axe and move up from there?

tuffy

For weapons, is it better to buy the initial forms and eventually build them into the later forms? Like I want to get an Aksa Switch. Can I, and should I, buy one when it is available or go through the family tree starting with the Iron Axe and move up from there?
In general, upgrading takes more parts overall but those parts are more common. Like the Iron Axe tree is full of common ores and the Aksa Switch upgrade takes fewer, more common Seregios parts. But crafting the Aksa Switch outright requires more Seregios parts along with more rare parts like Seregios Impalers from tail carves.

Mupod

it's a case by case basis but as a general rule you end up spending a bit more zenny and a lot fewer rare materials by upgrading it from the base version.

In this case, you need 2 Seregios Impalers to make it from nothing. Those aren't TOO bad to get but that's at least two Seregios tails to cut off. You might not just have those lying around whereas the Elite Switch Axe is pretty easy to create. I made this weapon myself and went the Elite Switch Axe route.

Finally got HR6 last night. Slowly making my way up. Slower than usual ranking up since I now have a family, but I still feel it's easier than MH4U.

Working on building up a big LS collection as well.

Voror

In general, upgrading takes more parts overall but those parts are more common. Like the Iron Axe tree is full of common ores and the Aksa Switch upgrade takes fewer, more common Seregios parts. But crafting the Aksa Switch outright requires more Seregios parts along with more rare parts like Seregios Impalers from tail carves.

it's a case by case basis but as a general rule you end up spending a bit more zenny and a lot fewer rare materials by upgrading it from the base version.

In this case, you need 2 Seregios Impalers to make it from nothing. Those aren't TOO bad to get but that's at least two Seregios tails to cut off. You might not just have those lying around whereas the Elite Switch Axe is pretty easy to create. I made this weapon myself and went the Elite Switch Axe route.

And there are easy ways to get Zenny aren't there? In that case I'll probably go about the upgrade route and maybe start from the Elite then. Thank you.

Although I admit I don't think I've managed to cut or break anything thus far. As a bladed weapon, I'd imagine I have the ability for both to some degree. Battles still feel super chaotic right now and I'm still really early on. I'm only up to the Tetsucabra mission for the village to get into rank 3 and haven't done anything with the guild yet.

DrArchon

Started going all in on the 4 star village quests. It's good to know that my muscle memory is still working for Rathian and Narajala. It feels like monsters have less health in this game or something. Maybe the 20% red axe bonus for Striker CB is a bigger bonus than I previously thought, because I'm tearing through these monsters. Shogun Ceanataur actually gave me some problems though. At least now I have the full Ceanataur armor so I won't have to fight another one for a while.

Which Palico skills get the monster to pay attention to the Pallico? I'm finding myself getting combo'd by monsters sometimes when I have Pallicos around and the monster just refuses to pay attention to them. Right now I'm running double gathering Pallicos just to save time and get extra monster parts, but I'm more than willing to switch to something else to make fights easier.

I keep running out of ammo doing the Fated Four with my LBG. Using the Tigrex Tank. I need to get more materials so I can combine mid-quest...

Or I can switch to Bow. Haven't done Bow since MH3U. Looks fun with Adept.

tuffy

I keep running out of ammo doing the Fated Four with my LBG. Using the Tigrex Tank. I need to get more materials so I can combine mid-quest...

Or I can switch to Bow. Haven't done Bow since MH3U. Looks fun with Adept.
The Huskberries and Needleberries to combine Normal S lv. 2 can be bought outright from the shop very cheaply, and carrying Combination Book 1 brings the success rate to 100%. You'll be able to carry enough of them to make hundreds of shots.

Pejo

So I was looking for a good fencing set last night because farming Silver Rathian is absolutely BRUTAL without it, and I really liked the Akantor set.

...Unfortunately I need 12 more HR levels to be able to get the quest.

Fuck.

Anyone able to host a few rounds of him later tonight for a poor helpless guy? I also need a few drops from him to max out my Narga weapon too. Won't be for about 8 hours yet.

Zoon

Climbed my way from HR 2 to HR 5 solo. Feels great. Although, the plesioth took me around 25 mins to kill since I forgot to bring traps. Just finished my Rhopessa S set as well. I'll probably stick to ranking up solo till I hit a wall.

jahasaja

I use Adept Bow and while I would miss Adept Style it won't be a huge loss for me because I would still have Evade+ 1/2 and Evade Extender.

In fact I completely predict that Monster Hunter 5 won't have all 4 Style anymore. At most I predict we keep Guild and Aerial Style along with Hunter Arts but Adept and Striker will be gone.

Evade+ is nice but I think it is the different animation as well as sound when you hit a perfect evade in adept style that makes it so fun that it becomes addictive. On top of that if you manage to land the subsequent hit it is just pure joy.

As for them not having adept in MH5 I think is up in the air. I guess they are monitoring player response before they will decide.

I feel that Adept breaks a lot of monsters since you can dodge pretty much everything. If it does return, which I highly doubt, it'll probably be nerfed significantly.

While I do agree that adept makes the game easier I am not sure that difficulty is very important for Capcom. I started with Tri and the games have become progressively easier IMO.

Yup, it is in the early game that it is OP. Village Quests was too easy for sure..

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
From my point of view:

-Striker Style has no point in existing because having a 3rd active Hunter Art is not very useful and you can emulate the usefulness of Striker Style if you drink Hunter's Drink.

-Adept Style is straight up too OP/Broken in my opinion.

-Guild Style will forever stay since it's a classic.

-Ariel Style can be considered OP with certain weapons but they just need to change some motion values or increase mounting resistance to balance it out.

I don't kniw what Capcom will do in Monster Hunter 5 but they way I would do it is either:

A-Keep Guild Style,Ariel Style and Hunter Arts

B-ONLY keep Guild Style but it can equip 3 Hunters Arts and a players has the ability to Equip ONE Hunter Art that would allow them to switch to Ariel,Striker or Adept Style that lasts just as long as the Hunter Art named Fortress Walls does or a 3rd Hunter Art of their choice that doesn't involve a style change.

DrArchon

I'm not sure that the style system as a whole has much of a reason to stick around for future games. Half the value of the Aerial Style to me at least comes from the fact that so many of the environments are from older games and don't have nearly as many ledges and jumping points as the environments from MH4, so for a MH5 with no or few returning regions it should be much easier to get to mounting monsters without a dedicated style. Striker seems superfluous for the most part, I mean, having 3 arts seems like overkill and that's the main draw of the style. Adapt is easily the most popular from what I've gathered but you could easily have a skill in the game that gives you that last-second super dodge ability. Plus it would need some kind of nerf.

How I would handle styles in MH5.

-Get rid of all of them except Guild for obvious reasons. Guild gets 2 Hunter Arts.

-Add an armor skill that allows you to equip a 3rd Hunter Art (for the guys that really need it).

-Have more environments with more ledges and stuff to jump off of. Less stuff like the Marshlands. Make mounting more difficult as a result.

-Add an armor skill that imitates the Adapt dodge.

tuffy

I can see additions like internal shots and SnS oils being carried forward into MH5, but I'm really not expecting the styles and arts to be brought into the mainline series in their current form. They're entertaining as an experiment but all the different combinations aren't balanced particularly well. Like the aforementioned Adept HBG is quite useful. But because they took the ability to roll out of siege mode away from Guild HBG (unlike in 4U), there's little reason to pick that style. And Aerial HBG is a gimmicky combination that's hardly useful in practice. Maybe offering a couple of weapon-specific styles would be better, or just add some new moves to all the weapons and let players sort of which ones they'd like to use.

jahasaja

I really did not want to make it into a "is adept OP or not?" discussion. Rather just to say that it is really fun to play adept style. I guess what I am trying to say is that now when the cat is out of the bag it would be really hard to go back at least from a pure enjoyment perspective.

Xion_Stellar

I really did not want to make it into a "is adept OP or not?" discussion. Rather just to say that it is really fun to play adept style. I guess what I am trying to say is that now when the cat is out of the bag it would be really hard to go back at least from a pure enjoyment perspective.
This is why I don't put much stock in new game mechanics (Swimming,Mounting,Styles,Hunter Arts etc) because yo never know if anything is going to carry to the next game.

Just as long as the series doesn't morph into some bizarre form that barely resembles it former self and I'm able to still play any of the Generation 2 games that doesn't have any additional mechanics than Capcom can keep experimenting with the series as much as it wants.

Pejo

styles need to go. das all

I'm ok with that. The only one I would really miss is Adept Hammer, because it causes me to have fun with the hammer for the first time ever.

I really do hope that Hunter Arts stay in, even if redesigned. It's really satisfying to have a nice finishing move or a utility move.

Also, SnS oils need to stay, they add a ton of versatility to the weapon.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Am I the only one NOT understanding at all the charts on the online MH manual?

Here's the guild lance one:

Don't use those. They take what is easily demonstrable by Gaijin Hunter or Arekks, and what is easily picked up thru practice of using a weapon and turn it into mess of a flowchart.

I like styles a lot in theory, but the implementation is poor. Just for starters I like that every weapon has a style that makes them capable of jumping/mounting, because it was too big a benefit of IGs. So aerial makes styles worthwhile by itself IMO. Adept and Striker and the entire Hunter Art systems need work tho. I don't have enough experience with all weapons/styles yet to judge definitively, but hunter arts ruined switch axe.

Xion_Stellar

I rather they expand oils to all blademaster weapons. Make them know how it's like to play gunner :p
The only way I would be OK with this if the actual oiling animation takes longer to pull off in accordance to the size of the blade because other Bladed weapons really don't need those Oil boosts.

Beats

Personally I'd be fine if they at least keep the Hunter Arts system and refine ones that aren't that great/adjust ones that are too good. It would feel like a waste to dump those new attack animations.

I like styles a lot in theory, but the implementation is poor. Just for starters I like that every weapon has a style that makes them capable of jumping/mounting, because it was too big a benefit of IGs. So aerial makes styles worthwhile by itself IMO. Adept and Striker and the entire Hunter Art systems need work tho. I don't have enough experience with all weapons/styles yet to judge definitively, but hunter arts ruined switch axe.
Agreed. Mounting access for all weapons is the one major thing I'd miss if they entirely got rid of styles. If they just managed to fit in a single jump attack into each weapon's kit, I think that'd be enough to satisfy me over the loss of styles.

And you're right about arts just dismantling the switch axe. With the quick charge art, the axe form just turns into an annoying speedbump in getting to sword form. It's just too good not to use sword full time now.

Is Akantor R armor + Akantor Shadow Claws a worthwhile combination?

EDIT: Now I'm planning to make a mixed set.

Mind's Eye
Blunt
Super Crit
Speed Sharpening

I'm concerned the green sharpness will wear off too quickly without Razor Sharp. Any thoughts?

DrArchon

hunter arts ruined switch axe.

I was wondering what you were talking about and then I checked out what the arts for the SA are. Jesus Christ! I already never used axe mode when I used SA in 4U, but recharging your guage, giving you unlimited sword attacks, and giving you big boosts to affinity and attack seems dirty. I actually like the axe mode a lot, so the idea that the SA loses its main gimmick seems really odd to me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was wondering what you were talking about and then I checked out what the arts for the SA are. Jesus Christ! I already never used axe mode when I used SA in 4U, but recharging your guage, giving you unlimited sword attacks, and giving you big boosts to affinity and attack seems dirty. I actually like the axe mode a lot, so the idea that the SA loses its main gimmick seems really odd to me.

If anything they needed to use an art to buff axe-mode.

DrArchon

If anything they needed to use an art to buff axe-mode.

My love for axe-mode is what got me to play CB more and more. I guess Capcom just wants SA to be all about the sword mode.

I think it would take more than 1 art that buffs axe mode to get people to play around with it though. For example every time I ran out of sword gauge in 4U I just ran off and manually recharged it. They'd have to get rid of the manual recharge and give the axe-mode big buffs to get people to pay attention to it I feel.

Pejo

Yep the hunter arts made me not want to play Swaxe at all in this iteration, and it has been my main weapon since 3U. I've been a huge fan of axe mode for mobility and then transitioning seamlessly into sword mode at the right time to get in some big damage. Now it's just sword mode and evade extender all day. Couple it with the fact that Sword Mode Aerial style is the best one for mounting with the two powerful hits, and Swaxe became babby mode and lost any sort of intricacy. Really hope they revisit the arts for the next game, but I definitely still want hunter arts in as a whole.

ohlawd

Mind's Eye
Blunt
Super Crit
Speed Sharpening

I'm concerned the green sharpness will wear off too quickly without Razor Sharp. Any thoughts?

what's the actual set up?

The Huskberries and Needleberries to combine Normal S lv. 2 can be bought outright from the shop very cheaply, and carrying Combination Book 1 brings the success rate to 100%. You'll be able to carry enough of them to make hundreds of shots.

Whoa, seriously? I don't know how I haven't noticed you could buy them from the shops.
Pro tips from tuffy.

georly

IF THEY TAKE BLAST DASH AWAY FROM ME

7341189.jpg

It's gonna really be hard to go back after this. I enjoy the meter so much. I think adept style is super broken once you get good though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that go. I'd really hate to see aerial stuff go away as well, but maybe spreading aerial moves to different weapons is a good solution? Give it to like 1/3 of the weapons?

brau

It's gonna really be hard to go back after this. I enjoy the meter so much. I think adept style is super broken once you get good though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that go. I'd really hate to see aerial stuff go away as well, but maybe spreading aerial moves to different weapons is a good solution? Give it to like 1/3 of the weapons?

i wouldn't be surprised if they remove all of it entirely. Tho i think that these really do change the way you play the game, which is part of the fun of playing MH initially with all the different weapons.

Hybris

Mind's Eye
Blunt
Super Crit
Speed Sharpening

Honestly sounds like you are trading in the strengths of dual blades for it's weaknesses. Dual blades lose sharpness faster than any other weapon. Yellow sharpness suffers from LSM (Low Sharpness Modifier) which is a huge damage loss. DB gets a huge amount of damage from exploiting elemental weaknesses due to the high attack rate.

Mind's eye is generally a pretty terrible skill. I am not a fan of blunt at all since blunt weapons usually have high raw. The higher the raw, the more you should be scaling % modifiers like crit. I guarantee you will get significantly more damage by getting crit eye skills over blunt to pair with super crit. Example: even though the best hunting horn (Akantor's horn) would be a candidate for the blunt skill, everyone forgoes that for more crit and crit boost because it simply results in more damage.

what's the actual set up?
Akantor Mask R
Silver Solhelm
Akantor Claws R
Silver Sol Coil
Akantor Hessian R

+3 Critical Up OO

5x Grinder Jewel
1x Fencer Jewel

Akantor Shadow Claws have no gem slots.

Honestly sounds like you are trading in the strengths of dual blades for it's weaknesses. Dual blades lose sharpness faster than any other weapon. Yellow sharpness suffers from LSM (Low Sharpness Modifier) which is a huge damage loss. DB gets a huge amount of damage from exploiting elemental weaknesses due to the high attack rate.

Mind's eye is generally a pretty terrible skill. I am not a fan of blunt at all since blunt weapons usually have high raw. The higher the raw, the more you should be scaling % modifiers like crit. I guarantee you will get significantly more damage by getting crit eye skills over blunt to pair with super crit. Example: even though the best hunting horn (Akantor's horn) would be a candidate for the blunt skill, everyone forgoes that for more crit and crit boost because it simply results in more damage.
Okay, I might stick with what I already have, then.

CTLance

Anyone have some tips on some good LR hammer armor? Right now I basically have all Maccao with Jaggi Faulds and it gives me Attack +15 and Vault +10 with the gems I have slotted. Currently doing 4 Star Village and working on getting HR3. I have the armor upgraded to the point where you need Adv Armor Spheres.
I know I already kinda sorta answered this, but I just ran across my first Hammer user in a while, and they had a curious mishmash of gear that gave them

Attack up M
Razor sharp
Weakness exploit

at 170-180 defense. Didn't look that bad either.

Mostly Rathalos gear (cap, mail, faulds) plus Ceanataur braces and Bnahabra boots. An attack+4 charm, a two-slot attack gem in the hammer and Faulds each. One Tenderizer gem and one Sharpness gem.

I immediately copied that, but forgot to write down the nick, so, sorry to whomever racked their brains to build this. I am a bad person and I feel bad.

Anyway, yoink. Ran around with it for a bit and quite like it. Wish I had an attack+5 charm or a three-slot hammer so I could switch to the Rathalos Helm for an additional 20 defense, but whatever. A Lv1 Graceful Death gives 10 defense and has enough green that sharpening is virtually unneeded now. Works out for the best.

javadoze

Pretty much. At this point for me most of the styles are:

Striker: Useless

Aerial: Fun at first, but kinda gimmicky after awhile

Adept: Hilariously broken when you know how to use it

Though unlike underwater battles in MH3U, I feel like Styles can have a place in the main series if they properly refine them down the line.

What about them don't you like?

I think it would be two steps back if they don't come back for MH5--or a MHGen2 if this is where they'll be relegated to.

Aerial is my go-to and it's cool that all weapons can have that vertical advantage now without having to rely on opportune timing between ledges and monster positioning. So far I use Aerial exclusively for HH and GL.

Adept is so cool on LBG. The reload and dash you can do after is amazing. I tried it first on GL but that was before I realized you could dodge for an effect, too (I usually tried to shield at the perfect time only. Will try Adept GL again soon to see what I missed).

I haven't used Guild for anything because it's regular ol' MH.

Striker is whatever. I've rarely felt like I ever need two Arts, let alone three.

Even if Adept and Aerial get nerfed, I'd like them back because they add a new dimension to combat without breaking the MH feel. Plus, it just makes the game that much more fun to play/control.

CTLance

I think it'd be maybe possibly under certain circumstances not game breaking if they pushed Hunting styles into a per-weapon niche.

Like, flying wyverns would mainly give you weapons that enable access to aerial style, particularly hard hitting monsters would drop mats for weapons that would come with striker style, etc. - and each weapon could come with their own specific arts setup. Could be used to add a bit of personality to weapons. A Monoblos/Diablos GS would obviously come with a charge move, Velocidrome Dual Blades would allow the use of a leap attack, Qurupeco Hunting Horns would obviously give access to the move that applies all buffs to yourself, etc pp.

I wouldn't want to balance the resulting chaos though. Still, by linking arts and styles to specific weapons, it would at least be more feasible than the current mess. 2000 weapons would be as many considerations per monster encounter, not 2000 x (amount of styles) x (amount of arts per style) or whatever.

KdylanR92

I really love the oils on S&S, hope they stay.

Is anyone doing HR2? i'm at the end of the village 5 star quests and it's getting boring playing by myself

OVDRobo

I honestly wouldn't complain if a less brokenly lenient version of the adept style was adapted into the series as a permanent change to dodging mechanics. Maybe Dark Souls has spoiled me, but I really prefer the style of dodging allowed through adept style to what Monster Hunter has considered a dodge up until this point.

They could even include a 'dodge setting' option to allow people that think it makes things to easy to switch to a 'master mode' that follows traditional timing windows.

As for the rest of the style stuff, I can take it or leave it. If it's gone in the next game I can still use my weapons. I'll just miss stuff like the incredibly invincible SnS and Gunlance having some actual mobility when I need to actually avoid monsters and keep re-sheathing or back-hopping.

This is all more just because of my stance on Monster Hunter's mechanics compared to a lot of fans though.

Anteo

I tried adept style yesterday. first I ended up in a worse position most of the time but when I got used to the distance the hunter runs it felt super broken, the window to activate it is too big, I dont see any reason to do a evade+2 set with that.

Top Bottom