• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

tuffy

Apparently capturing Gore after breaking horns gives more feelers. Just got 5 after one quest. Or am I just lucky?

Also what's the easiest way to get monster broth in mass quantities?
Feelers are either a break or capture reward, but you're pretty lucky to get 5 in a hunt.

And as for Monster Broth, the easiest way is to carve high rank Bnahabra which are often flying around places like the Misty Peaks in large quantities. But it's hard to kill them without smashing them to bits. So mix up some Poison Smoke Bombs, wait for the Bnahabra to get close, then poison them and carve them when they die.

taybul

Just started playing this last night and I was doing the training quest for GS (training quests are amazing, btw) but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do a super-charge. I was doing the same thing as in previous games but it would just revert to a normal charge. Just read this morning that the new styles change the moveset of all the weapons significantly. Not sure if I'm a huge fan as now it seems you have to master the styles in order to use moves you could normally do in the previous games.

I'm deciding between Adept+GS or Adept+CB. Is the evade timing for the "proc" really tight? I haven't really tried to nail it down quite yet (stupid early-game farming quests).

cheesekao

Apparently capturing Gore after breaking horns gives more feelers. Just got 5 after one quest. Or am I just lucky?

Also what's the easiest way to get monster broth in mass quantities?
Send your hunter for hires to HR marshlands to hunt the small insects and just do the kelbi horn quest for easy quest completes. Don't waste your time hunting them unless you REALLY need them.

Mupod

All hitzones being equal, pierce shots do more damage overall if you can get all the hits as it passes through a monster. But for small targets (like the dromes) or a monster with one glaring weak spot (like Zinogre's horn), normal lv. 2 shot is a better idea.

pretty much. You can generally eyeball a monster and figure out what kind of ammo to use on it, but the best way is just to look up hitzones. Plesioth is the classic example of something weak to pierce ammo - huge, with a massively weak shot hitzone along its body. Whenever I fight Plesioth with HBG the fight ends in 2-3 minutes with everyone standing around going 'wtf?'

I'm still not 100% sure on what to use for certain monsters. I'm always tempted to use Pierce on Rathalos wings because it shreds them and staggers him out of the sky quickly. But it's not actually optimal damage, you want to aim for the face (or the feet on Silver). Gunning Dreadking seems much more effective than melee and I'm still deciding what kind of gun to bring. The Daora gun seemed to work great.

And then there's the Normal 3 conundrum with its weird ricochet behaviour. At least they had the decency in this game to show you the bounced shot so you can figure out what you're doing wrong. But even after using it effectively in some situations I still can't explain 100% how it bounces.

Dak'kon

Is there a know best quest for farming Heavy Armor Spheres? Kiranico says they're only an 8% drop from (mostly) Hyper monster quests so I'm guessing just farm something quick like H.R.Ludroth?

Feelers are either a break or capture reward, but you're pretty lucky to get 5 in a hunt.

And as for Monster Broth, the easiest way is to carve high rank Bnahabra which are often flying around places like the Misty Peaks in large quantities. But it's hard to kill them without smashing them to bits. So mix up some Poison Smoke Bombs, wait for the Bnahabra to get close, then poison them and carve them when they die.
I may have to do that Slay 50 Bnahabra quest then. I need a Pellet gun haha.
Send your hunter for hires to HR marshlands to hunt the small insects. Don't waste your time hunting them unless you REALLY need them.
Yeah I really need them. About 15 of them for upgrading weapons.

cheesekao

Is there a know best quest for farming Heavy Armor Spheres? Kiranico says they're only an 8% drop from (mostly) Hyper monster quests so I'm guessing just farm something quick like H.R.Ludroth?
That's right but you can also do lvl 9,10 deviants as there a higher chance to get them there.

I may have to do that Slay 50 Bnahabra quest then. I need a Pellet gun haha.

Yeah I really need them. About 15 of them for upgrading weapons.
You need to poison them, not kill them. I recommend using a low lvl palico and make the low rank rathian sword for it.

In my experience, best way to kill bugs without smashing apart the body is to build a poison charge blade and then over charge it. That way, sword mode only does 1 damage, but still inflicts poison. Just don't bring cats.

Aerial switch axe feels broken to me. The jump allows me to be pretty aggressive, and even careless while rarely getting punished for it, and the damage is huge. Admittedly I'm still just going through the village quests, but so far, everything I've fraught has felt trivial. Just keep jump attacking a monster until I get a mount, and then sword mode it's face in. The energy recharge art recharges so fast that I basically have unlimited sword mode.

Hybris

I'm pretty sure people who think Aerial is crap actually just suck at it and don't know what they can do with it. They probably miss the vault off the monster, don't know they can control which direction to vault in and which direction to attack, and don't know when they get invincibility frames. They probably got hit a bunch of times, decided it was crap, and went right to ez babby mode adept like I did.

I want to see the styles and hunter arts stay as part of the series for the sake of even more playstyle variety. I suppose the average reviewer who rushes to the credits with nothing but adept charge blade might not care, though.

Not really the case for me. I don't play aerial simply because it results in slower kill times in solo play if you are skilled enough at the game for the weapons I play (GS, Hammer, CB, IG, LS). I don't know anything about other aerial styles and how they perform, but if this is any indication, not very well.

Dak'kon

That's right but you can also do lvl 9,10 deviants as there a higher chance to get them there.

Oh really? Kiranico says it's still only 1x 8% chance for level IX and X deviants and they'd take much longer (assuming the site is correct).

Takes <5 mins for a R.Ludroth but I still only got 1 sphere in nearly two hours of farming -.-

Just got to Village 5*. So 6 is the last thing then right? Gammoth and Astalos were total pushovers but I've fought them online with people no problem. Also I noticed that on some of the event missions (notably, the Metroid one) the monster has a bunch of yellow triangles glowing on it. What is that? Are those the "hyper" monsters I'm hearing about?

By the way, previously I asked about quick knives missions to get the combinations. If anyone else reading this comes across it, there's an Hub mission where the subquest is to kill 6 Kelbi (I think the mission has you deliver 3 White Livers; it was a 2 or 3* mission I think.

It's quite simple to kill the 6, then run or farcast back to base, and do the combinations. You should bring combo guides 1-3 with you too because I think the combo rates are pretty low on their own. Then you can just end via subquest.

I'm like 2 combos away from getting the achievement but all I have left to craft are the deviljho things and the slickaxe combos..

tuffy

Should I go for [Individual Element] Attack +2 or the general purpose Element Attack Up? Which one's better in this game?
Pretty sure Element Attack Up equals [Element] Atk +1 for all elements, but [Element] Atk +2 is stronger. Element Attack Up is too easy to get for it to be equal to a +2 boost, I think.

Pretty sure Element Attack Up equals [Element] Atk +1 for all elements, but [Element] Atk +2 is stronger. Element Attack Up is too easy to get for it to be equal to a +2 boost, I think.
The best I could find was Kiranico's guide saying both Atk +1 and Element Atk Up "increase" element while +2 "greatly increases" element, so maybe.

Shengar

We've been able to mount with a jump from a lance charge in MH4 and even if you don't have aerial style in MHG too, but yeah, I get what you're saying.
Lance charge in MH4U for mountin is REALLY HARD to pull. Plus, it's very situational as lance joust charge sends everyone flying everywhere.
And how can you guys not love the Adept whoooosh sound when you time a dodge perfectly?!? It's like crack.

Most of us who think that adept should be removed because it's too overpowered.

ohlawd

got about two hours to kill. didn't sleep for as long as I'd have liked ;_;

11-0424-3953-7209
2580, turns

edit: room closed. thanks for hunting!

Pejo

Is there any benefit to using blunt IG's other than the higher raw damage? Can they do KO damage to monster heads?

I've been sticking with cutting types since I like to always go for tails.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Lance charge in MH4U for mountin is REALLY HARD to pull. Plus, it's very situational as lance joust charge sends everyone flying everywhere.

I disagree! I felt it was about as reliable as the IG pole vault, which is to say, it's bad if you're not careful when using it.

I miss being the main guy getting the mounts online :(

As usual for Monster Hunter, the hours played have been building up. Just doing things here and there, both guild and village 6. Will do Fated Four later, mostly hub for now and generally solo as preferred. Only just started building some GS for fun and playing around with it after a game of 90% Gunlance, which remains my primary for now.

Armor-wise, Malfestio S amped up past 400 def and with useful innate skills plus Guard +1 and Capture Guru is a good overall armor at my current point. Plus Rhenoplos S/Type 62 Gunlance, Water Attack +2 and Artillery Expert for fun against water weak monsters.

Dak'kon

I didn't even realize this game had come out almost a month ago. MH turns time into a blur.

Oh damn, really? :S

So what's everyone's playtime? I'm up to 174 hours... Don't think I'll hit 4U's 258 hours or Tri's 300+ hours but we've still got Stories to come so I've still got plenty of MonHun to look forward to soon.
Please Capcom!

Cocaine_

Neo Member
it was way easier to mount in 4u then generations.

Yeah of course. All you needed was about 1 or 2 hits to get the first mount, and maybe 6-8 hits after that for the next. I miss that too, but I see why it was changed.

I more meant that IG and Lance were the only weapons with built-in jumping attacks, without having to rely on terrain.

redcrayon

Maybe I just got used to it as I used it all the time- mainly after blocking a radial/beam attack that everyone else had dodged away to
avoid, or typically blocking a charging wyvern, then turning and chasing it with a lance charge.

Dak'kon

I completed all Village quests only to find a blue tick for 6* so I'm guessing I need to complete some Guild villager requests to unlock something. So if anybody wants to take turns doing HR6&7 villager quests then I've made a room:

60-2541-7482-6350

I said this a page or two ago, but I cant believe how much I fucking love gunning now. I was at 190hours and done building most of what I wanted to build and running out of motivation fast, when I decided to take the plunge on the part of the series I ignored for 7 games.

The feed back of hitting in critical range is very satisfying and I love getting away from the CONSTANT sheathing and running of blademastering. Keeping up such constant dps and being able to hit annoying arts you had to wait specific opportunities for is great. I seriously devalued how much damage a good gunner could do if they weren't lazy bums just using normal shot 1 and 2. I can rip monsters apart that I don't mind 2 manning stuff at all anymore rather than waiting for the lobby to fill

I love going from rolling in my element set with the amatsu gun with 4 freaking elemental rapid fires to my seltas set and crah shot musket (thank you random stranger who had it and showed me it existed) and KOing like a fucking boxer.

Indeed, regarding gunning, HBG has long been a favorite of mine next to GS. While it has been a distant second to my GL resurgence this game, I have brought it out for some tough fights. Crag shot to the face, element shots, poison, full body-length pierce shots, etc all very potent and satisfying when targeted well. Adept plus Seregios gun seems absurd too, what with at least one shot reloaded with every evade.

Pejo

Any suggestions for the best way to get Glavenus tails? I'll even make a different wep to farm LR tails. -_-

I know you can only break it when it's in "heated" mode. That's my only advice. I think people said it could only be broken with blunt, but that was disproved.

Does Freedom United have enough unique, uncarried through content to be worth playing through even after spending tons of time with Tri, 4U, and Generations?

Does Freedom United have enough unique, uncarried through content to be worth playing through even after spending tons of time with Tri, 4U, and Generations?

Throwing away the lamer subspecies, you get stuff like lunestra and Diablo/monoblos back. There is also fatalis, Shen, and Lao but those would not be fun to solo.

I would find it hard to go back because of all the small quality of life improvements since 3u on

Comandr

I would never be able to go back to gen 2 and its silly hitboxes (among other things) after playing the latest versions.

Kandinsky

The upgrade system in this game sucks, why even change it?, I dont get it. That and the graphics downgrade from 4U are my only complains so far.

Ulthwe

The upgrade system in this game sucks, why even change it?, I dont get it. That and the graphics downgrade from 4U are my only complains so far.
People keep talking about graphics downgrade but I believe monsters didn't have as much bump mapping on 4U, if at all. I can understand the locked FPS though.

Okay it seems like I'm stuck on the village quests. I'm on village 5 and I beat mizutsune.

It seems the last two key quests are fighting astalos and gammoth but the quests aren't available, any idea how to unlock them?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Okay it seems like I'm stuck on the village quests. I'm on village 5 and I beat mizutsune.

It seems the last two key quests are fighting astalos and gammoth but the quests aren't available, any idea how to unlock them?
You have to do their respective village elders' request line starting from 2*

Kandinsky

People keep talking about graphics downgrade but I believe monsters didn't have as much bump mapping on 4U, if at all. I can understand the locked FPS though.
The texture resolution, specially on monsters took a huge hit for one, and yeah the framerate and overall look too, it's flashier tho :p

Eiolon

For my first foray into this series, should I start with 4U or Generations? I heard 4U is better for the beginner, though I am concerned about possible lack of players due to Generations being out.

Top Bottom