• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Comandr

Sorry I had to leave out of blue like that (I was Jobber), my friend came over.

Thanks for the hunts tho.

Oh no, thank you for joining. Your horn skills are wonderful. We really nailed down the fight after you left. Kill bulldrome and then everyone just trap the hell out of him. Haha.

brau

I was watching the Charge Blade tutorial for the Adept Style. It sounds interesting, but hard to grasp.

Any breakdowns of this that are easy to go over?

That is what i was using at first, but i didn't really get the moves that you would get from each style.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
I was watching the Charge Blade tutorial for the Adept Style. It sounds interesting, but hard to grasp.

That is what i was using at first, but i didn't really get the moves that you would get from each style.

If the Gaijin guides are too in-depth, you can always try checking the Hunter's Notes in the pause menu for barebones tutorials for each weapon. Things like "Basic Adept Combo" would be in there.

Mupod

do you need high grade earplugs for Dreadking's roars? Debating whether to farm him with hammer or HBG, I hear he flies a lot but I am an old hand at hammering Raths.

Like every weapon, it's easier to explain how the other styles deviate from Guild style than treating each of them individually. CB is one of the most technically complex weapon types in the game, do you at least understand how Guild CB works?

Moondrop

Banned
I just can't get away from guild hammer. I want the golf swing AND the uppercut AND the superpound. And personally I prefer spinning meteor to typhoon trigger, but perhaps I haven't given the latter a fair shot.

Oh no, thank you for joining. Your horn skills are wonderful. We really nailed down the fight after you left. Kill bulldrome and then everyone just trap the hell out of him. Haha.
No problem! Yeah bulldrome is super annoying, but I'm glad you guys used some strats to make the quest easier.

Mupod

I just can't get away from guild hammer. I want the golf swing AND the uppercut AND the superpound. And personally I prefer spinning meteor to typhoon trigger, but perhaps I haven't given the latter a fair shot.

I use both. Typhoon seems MUCH better for KOing, spinning meteor for damage (it's just fast enough to take advantage of a KO). If I had to drop one it would be Typhoon, which I might in favor of Absolute Readiness. But I still really like having that spin and super golfswing on demand.

CTLance

If the Gaijin guides are too in-depth, you can always try checking the Hunter's Notes in the pause menu for barebones tutorials for each weapon. Things like "Basic Adept Combo" would be in there.
It would be so awesome if we could just get a training room with a stuffed monster where we could quickly switch through Palicos, hunting styles, techniques, skills and weapons, test out a bunch of combos or whatever and exit again without lengthy loading screens and quest restrictions.

Putting that on my MHXU wish list. Just like with Tri and 4/4U. ;_;

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
It would be so awesome if we could just get a training room with a stuffed monster where we could quickly switch through Palicos, hunting styles, techniques, skills and weapons, test out a bunch of combos or whatever and exit again without lengthy loading screens and quest restrictions.

Putting that on my MHXU wish list. Just like with Tri and 4/4U. ;_;
I mean, they have tutorial option for that in quest selection. Took me awhile to actually see it tho.

brau

I'll try the notes in here, maybe they'll shed some light. I like it when GH goes and does every move frame by frame and explains when to use it best and how it works. I just thought he went through the styles a bit fast.

Like every weapon, it's easier to explain how the other styles deviate from Guild style than treating each of them individually. CB is one of the most technically complex weapon types in the game, do you at least understand how Guild CB works?

Yea. i get the Guild CB. I get when he explains what changes, and the moves. But when it comes to Adept Style the moves seem to be a bit vague in what they do and how to execute them. I just feel like i am missing something.

Fandangox

Upgrading and forging tons of weapons. Just getting worn stuff to actual weapons will net you almost a hundred depending on the path.
I have like15 fully upgraded GS. It's a little excessive

I've been relying on harvesting God Bugs to sell and trade when offered as a discount Inmunizers and Ice Crystals when offered as a discount for some extra cash flow.

Oh. I really haven't been making that many weapons that ask for Earth Crystals. The rusty/worn ones ask me for Monster Broths from what I've seen.

CTLance

I mean, they have tutorial option for that in quest selection. Took me awhile to actually see it tho.
Yeah, the menu is weird like that.

The tutorials are full blown quests with related loading screens, and restricted to very specific gear. I'd prefer an added room at the player house where you can literally beat the stuffing out of a plush Deviljho with any gear you'd like so you can train a few combos or check whether gemming in evade dist+1 is really worth the slots, for example. Maybe even a damage counter and stats on crits and such. That'd be neat.

Also an armor/weapon view that groups entire sets together. I just recently accidentally auto sorted my inventory. *sob*

brau

Yeah, the menu is weird like that.

The tutorials are full blown quests with related loading screens, and restricted to very specific gear. I'd prefer an added room at the player house where you can literally beat the stuffing out of a plush Deviljho with any gear you'd like so you can train a few combos or check whether gemming in evade dist+1 is really worth the slots, for example. Maybe even a damage counter and stats on crits and such. That'd be neat.

Also an armor/weapon view that groups entire sets together. I just recently accidentally auto sorted my inventory. *sob*

This would be great. Just an area in the HUB where you can take out your weapon to practice and see input.

PKrockin

Is there a particular quest in Village or Guild that has knives when you start (or ones I could get when the subquest is complete)

I want to get those last few combos and I thought one of the quests I did had them...maybe a capture one? But I can't remember and don't want to try 30,000 different quests to see lol
I think most quests give you throwing knives in the subquest supplies. I've been bringing parashrooms with me so if I do end up carting or passing through the base camp I can combine that shit and come back with with a free paralysis for everyone to enjoy.

georly

Its crazy to think that i miss the story details and cutscenes from MH4U. I hope they do something better with that on MH5 on the NX. Also, overhaul of the art.
BELIEVE!
LOL

MH 5 not being on nx would be way bigger news than it not being on nx. If nx is basically the only next gen dedicated handheld on the market, where else are they going to put it? On 3DS still?

Unreal 4 MH5 plz. New models. Mostly all new monsters. Obv you have to keep ian/os. I don't care if it means less monsters for the first couple nx versions. An engine update would be sweet.

brau

MH 5 not being on nx would be way bigger news than it not being on nx. If nx is basically the only next gen dedicated handheld on the market, where else are they going to put it? On 3DS still?

Unreal 4 MH5 plz. New models. Mostly all new monsters. Obv you have to keep ian/os. I don't care if it means less monsters for the first couple nx versions. An engine update would be sweet.

tbh. i'm surprised at how good the models of armors and weapons hold up in this entry. specially when you can zoom in now. Waaaaaaaaay better. It just needs those sweet cutscenes with your character to show case them better.

I really enjoyed MH3U on the wiiU. it was really great, apart from some really low res textures here and there. But it was all good. Also the online play with the mic made it really enjoyable.

Unreal 4 for MH5 would be nuts. They do have all the high res work but it would be a big effort to translate everything to have revisited art. It would be worth it tho. Also.. it would be nice to see ragdoll hahaha

Got to HR5 in one day to catch up with my friends and chilled out the last day or so just making my first real armor set in Gen(was just using the purchasable armors until HR5). Now I've got HG Earplugs and Wind Res which is one of the better combos in the old games which I expect to be just as good here.

Today's goal is to max out my Eager Cleaver so I have at least one good weapon. Currently level 4.

Finishing up the village quests might be interesting when I go back lol

Fistwell

MH 5 not being on nx would be way bigger news than it not being on nx.
o7x1oEZ.gif

TheGrue

Anyone have some tips on some good LR hammer armor? Right now I basically have all Maccao with Jaggi Faulds and it gives me Attack +15 and Vault +10 with the gems I have slotted. Currently doing 4 Star Village and working on getting HR3. I have the armor upgraded to the point where you need Adv Armor Spheres.

CTLance

This is probably not a popular opinion, but fuck the graphics.

I want them to do a rebalancing/tweaking run because Hunting Styles, Mounting, and current HP/Attack values don't really mesh all that well together in many areas, and if they have some time after that they should fuck around with better animations first and foremost. For example, the two legged chicken mounting dance gotta go, or at least no longer apply to like 90% of flying wyverns. Or the terrible mounting sequence. Not the battling, the actual mounting, from the down-strike hit to the Hunter sitting on the Monster. Also, more shortcuts and area connections, preferably randomised per quest so not every quest restart plays out mostly the same, facilitated by means of a weather mechanic. Maybe a river that drags you away when it's raining, etc.

Better pathing so you don't get to wail on a limping Monster that suddenly decides to stop everything, hobble to a clearly defined point in the room, then lay down one last attack or "looking around" animation, finished by limping/flying towards the exit. Needs to be more organic, even if the underlying mechanic stays the same.

More Deviljho like Monster on monster action would be neat as well. Hot Rathalos-on-Rathian action! Just kidding. Or am I.

Vengal

Can adept guard block things that normally require guard up? Been trying it on the agnaktor laser and thus far the timing has been poor.

CTLance

Anyone have some tips on some good LR hammer armor? Right now I basically have all Maccao with Jaggi Faulds and it gives me Attack +15 and Vault +10 with the gems I have slotted. Currently doing 4 Star Village and working on getting HR3. I have the armor upgraded to the point where you need Adv Armor Spheres.
Gotta confess, I'm running around without mixing and matching still.

I really love my Rathalos set right now (Attack up Medium/Large + Weakness exploit makes head bashing fun).

Maybe look at the Ceanataur and the Nargacuga set, both are quite nice as well. Those give you some Crit Eye (+2 easily, more possible), plus sharpness or evade dist respectively, on top of nice defense. Depends on your play style. Less sharpening, or flat out ridiculous aerial style evade rolls. Both fun.

Doombear

If anyone is interested in helping with the last quest in the Bath line... I could use a hand.

46-2998-2579-0657

Hyper Ludroth, Duramboros, and Zinogre

ChrisD

I am never fighting Rathalos without Flash Bombs ever again. Just wasted five minutes in a quest watching as this freaking monster did nothing but fly. He'd touch down then fly right back up. No charges. No fireballs. Just the sky. Always the sky.

Then when he finally DID land, he used the Tail Spin six times in a row and flew right back up.

I Abandoned immediately after that (was Offline Hub), I'm about to go back in fully kitted with Flash Bombs, three Pitfall Traps, and LBB+'s, just for a nice "Screw you" run.

Wish they'd overhaul this guy. Feels like they imported Azure's love of the sky into regular Los. And is it me, or is he way worse than Ian? She honestly doesn't feel anywhere near as annoying!

ohlawd

Nibelsnarf is easy as fuck. what's wrong with that thing? stay idle most of the time, plenty of opportunities to wail with a bomb and fishing it up, love that sand fish.

ChrisD

Nibelsnarf is easy as fuck. what's wrong with that thing? stay idle most of the time, plenty of opportunities to wail with a bomb and fishing it up, love that sand fish.

You basically just explained why I dislike him.

He's like Gammoth 1.0

Stands there, falls quickly to a gimmick (but not really that quickly since they both have p high health pools). Doesn't offer up a real fight.

I like the "boring" Elder Dragons like Lao Shan, The Giant Crab I always forget the name of, and Jhen; I like bashing mindlessly on things that are larger than a skyscraper. They also feel like events with the music and arenas that accompany them.

Nibelsnarf doesn't achieve that he's a dumb sand fish
Gammoth doesn't achieve it because he's just a big mammoth

Boney

Banned
I don't understand why this game has so many 2 chicken leg wyverns in it. They look terrible. Nostalgia pandering in this game is the worst

do the bomb, fish out thing. it'll open its mouth so you can hit its tonsils or whatever that red thing is . capture it too
Was gonna ask how did we got him completely out of the sad.

How do you fish it

Boney

Banned
When he is stunned with his mouth open, there'll be a fishing prompt if you stand next to him.
Oh my lord!

Well speaking of that, you can mine Duramboros tail case once you break it once when he lands on the ground with it in mobile.

You can also mine the Crystal Uragaan's Crystal rocks he throws.

And you can get a carve out of gypceros fake deaths without getting hit as well.

Not sure if I'm missing something else.

redcrayon

Oh my lord!

Well speaking of that, you can mine Duramboros tail case once you break it once when he lands on the ground with it in mobile.

You can also mine the Crystal Uragaan's Crystal rocks he throws.

And you can get a carve out of gypceros fake deaths without getting hit as well.

Not sure if I'm missing something else.
You can catch fulgarbugs with a net from a stunned Zinogre.

Top Bottom