• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

tuffy

At what point am I safe to start grinding Deviants? I'm HR50 and got a few maxed out weapons, but all of the really good stuff seems to be behind the deviants. I really want that Silverwind armor set and the Hellblade weapon, for instance.

Is there a defense number I should aspire to before beginning to farm them? I have them all unlocked, but never fought one yet. My latest playtime has been spent going through hyper variants, which I don't find to be that much harder.
I'm in the same boat in that Silverwind gear looks pretty nice and I wouldn't mind farming some myself. After tagging along on a few hunts against him yesterday, I can say that my ~320 defense (gunner armor, blademaster helm, no hyper parts added) was sufficient to keep from getting one-shotted by any of his attacks at least up to the level 5 quest. It seems like the general progression is meant to be: low rank -> high rank -> hyper -> deviants, with deviants meant to be the endgame farming like Guild Quests were in 4U.

Pejo

I'm in the same boat in that Silverwind gear looks pretty nice and I wouldn't mind farming some myself. After tagging along on a few hunts against him yesterday, I can say that my ~320 defense (gunner armor, blademaster helm, no hyper parts added) was sufficient to keep from getting one-shotted by any of his attacks at least up to the level 5 quest. It seems like the general progression is meant to be: low rank -> high rank -> hyper -> deviants, with deviants meant to be the endgame farming like Guild Quests were in 4U.

Awesome, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm going to finish grinding out the EX Gore set and max it out on defense, then I'll slide right in to Deviants.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Awesome, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm going to finish grinding out the EX Gore set and max it out on defense, then I'll slide right in to Deviants.

I'll just throw in my two cents here and say: armor values and gear don't seem to matter as much in a Deviant fight compared to how good and coordinated your group is.

I'll easily trade 3 guys decked out in the best gear for 3 other guys who can mount, paralyze, KO, or trap the monsters in succession.

Especially against something like HB Glav, who has that almost one-shot kill move in his tail attack, bringing down the monster through repeated stuns and lockdowns is the much safer approach.

Fistwell

Is there a good armor for HR for a LBG user? I was reading about the Moofah stuff and started working towards it but I'm not sure if it's still good since the game came out and people have had more time to explore combinations.

Anything would be great for me since I mained Tetsu armor all the way into G Rank the last game lmao
Oh there are many good HR armors for LBG, depending what you're into. Shaggy set has normal up, and peak condition+light-eater, which works out pretty well (lots of slots too, was able to get artillery expert to go with a musquet for example). It's fairly easy to craft as well. If you're into pierce, akantor R gloves and boots give you pierce up (and I think 1 + 2 slots), leaving you head, chest and waist to work out extra stuff. On the head you can for example go with hayabusa feather (crit eye+2) or barrage earing (load up), and for chest and waist I've used los R which (combined with a talisman) gave me AuL. For chest and waist, I know others have gone narga to pursue some evade skills.

There are many, many combinations. One thing I haven't found though is a good combination working in rapid fire with other useful stuff.

Pejo

I'll just throw in my two cents here and say: armor values and gear don't seem to matter as much in a Deviant fight compared to how good and coordinated your group is.

I'll easily trade 3 guys decked out in the best gear for 3 other guys who can mount, paralyze, KO, or trap the monsters in succession.

Especially against something like HB Glav, who has that almost one-shot kill move in his tail attack, bringing down the monster through repeated stuns and lockdowns is the much safer approach.

Totally makes sense, but since I haven't seen any of these new moves yet, I want to make sure I don't insta-cart three times in a row until I learn the fights. Maxing my defense and eating for Felyne Defender (Hi) is just a concession to whichever poor suckers join my room later until I learn the fights.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Totally makes sense, but since I haven't seen any of these new moves yet, I want to make sure I don't insta-cart three times in a row until I learn the fights. Maxing my defense and eating for Felyne Defender (Hi) is just a concession to whichever poor suckers join my room later until I learn the fights.
If you're already in HR gear you should be able to handle the first level of any of the deviants solo if you want to practice. The deviants are low rank versions for levels 1-4 of the quest and become high rank aftewards.

If you're already in HR gear you should be able to handle the first level of any of the deviants solo if you want to practice. The deviants are low rank versions for levels 1-4 of the quest and become high rank aftewards.

This. Make sure you go into deviants with at least 400 defense and you should be fine for the first few levels

Just made my first High Rank set and its pretty great

Kecha Wacha. Super easy to kill, easy to make armor

gives Constitution and Stam Recovery up. Only need to gems to get Constitution +2 but I opted to gem in Bhena Skill for Hunger Reduction

SO awesome for bow to be so free to shoot/charge/powershot more often with aggressive frequency

Thanks a bunch monkey squirrel

Boney

Banned
Do the types of Pallicos matter for the hunter mini-game? I haven't looked into it at all so I have no idea, but would, say, gathering Pallicos get more gather-able drops while fighters would get monster mats?
I just bought a bunch of Palicoes at level 20 once they showed up and have them for meowster hunter. For monsters, they have a specific color circle/area that are the same as Palicoes. The color usually matches the look or style of the mobster.

There's red, blue, green, yellow, purple, white and brown. Rathalos is red, lagiacruz is white and brachydios is blue for example. If the cat matches the color you get 2 materials instead of one. You can get an extra 10k between quests by selling the more expensive materials or they might help to pad out upgrade materiaks, so it's handy

PKrockin

This. Make sure you go into deviants with at least 400 defense and you should be fine for the first few levels
The first few levels? I've been killing level 10 deviants with 450 defense, no one shots yet. I haven't even used any heavy armor spheres yet. You can upgrade armor to have defense way better than what you actually need even in the end game.

If there was ever a franchise I'd abuse the PS4 Share button for, it'd be MH. I've gotten some insane kills, interrupts, and once in a lifetime evades and no way to show them.

At what point am I safe to start grinding Deviants? I'm HR50 and got a few maxed out weapons, but all of the really good stuff seems to be behind the deviants. I really want that Silverwind armor set and the Hellblade weapon, for instance.

Is there a defense number I should aspire to before beginning to farm them? I have them all unlocked, but never fought one yet. My latest playtime has been spent going through hyper variants, which I don't find to be that much harder.
You allergic to challenge, bro? :^) I'd say fight them once as soon as you unlock them.

Fight them solo the first time if you're afraid of frustrating other players or something. No need to be afraid of dying, all you waste is a few thousand wycademy points and some items.

Mupod

I've only encountered two one-shots so far as a gunner. Akantor's breath and Nakarkos' super laser. Even high level deviant Tigrex couldn't one shot me, but his boulder would bring me down to a sliver. With ~600 defense as a blademaster, it's quite forgiving. If you're not quite there bring an armorskin (still eat for attack though).

Cocaine_

Neo Member
I've only encountered two one-shots so far as a gunner. Akantor's breath and Nakarkos' super laser. Even high level deviant Tigrex couldn't one shot me, but his boulder would bring me down to a sliver. With ~600 defense as a blademaster, it's quite forgiving. If you're not quite there bring an armorskin (still eat for attack though).

I've been screwing around with Blademaster weapons doing Deviant hunts, and actually been having a lot of success. However when I switched to Bow for a Hellblade Glavenus run, that tail spin when he's enraged brought me from full to 0. Yikes.

Other one shots were Nakarkos as well, and Rajang laser.

Moondrop

Banned
The best system advancement isn't Hunter Arts but Palicoes. I love the customization of abilities and fashion. I love how it really feels like I have a squad when soloing as a cat (attacker, healer, trapper). I love that they're not Shakalakas.

There are still issues to be worked out- making melee on par with ranged, AI going lazy, bombs seem worthless, etc. But I hope the devs just continue to improve upon the system.

Pejo

The first few levels? I've been killing level 10 deviants with 450 defense, no one shots yet. I haven't even used any heavy armor spheres yet. You can upgrade armor to have defense way better than what you actually need even in the end game.

You allergic to challenge, bro? :^) I'd say fight them once as soon as you unlock them.

Fight them solo the first time if you're afraid of frustrating other players or something. No need to be afraid of dying, all you waste is a few thousand wycademy points and some items.

I was unaware until the guy above explained that they're effectively low rank at first until you level them up. I was expecting endgame from the first fight, and I remember getting kicked from rooms for being low defense in past games after just joining.

The best system advancement isn't Hunter Arts but Palicoes. I love the customization of abilities and fashion. I love how it really feels like I have a squad when soloing as a cat (attacker, healer, trapper). I love that they're not Shakalakas.

There are still issues to be worked out- making melee on par with ranged, AI going lazy, bombs seem worthless, etc. But I hope the devs just continue to improve upon the system.

The only thing I don't like about Palicos are the damn cat sound effects. Why do they have to happen so often....

Mupod

I've been screwing around with Blademaster weapons doing Deviant hunts, and actually been having a lot of success. However when I switched to Bow for a Hellblade Glavenus run, that tail spin when he's enraged brought me from full to 0. Yikes.

Other one shots were Nakarkos as well, and Rajang laser.

one trick as a gunner that I've used in every MH is to seek out sets where the blademaster helm can be substituted for the gunner helm, Narga is a classic example. The Rathalos sets in this game seem to fit the bill too. That can be a HUGE amount of defense gained, like 50+. There's a few guns with defense as well. Also don't forget armorcharm/armortalon. All these can easily be the difference between a one shot and coming out with a little health.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
one trick as a gunner that I've used in every MH is to seek out sets where the blademaster helm can be substituted for the gunner helm, Narga is a classic example. The Rathalos sets in this game seem to fit the bill too. That can be a HUGE amount of defense gained, like 50+. There's a few guns with defense as well. Also don't forget armorcharm/armortalon. All these can easily be the difference between a one shot and coming out with a little health.

That's what I'm doing now! Rolling the Black Head S instead of Black Face S because that shit's triggering.

Did the same with the Sailor cap, too. I find the loss in elemental damage is always worth the extra defence. I'll only consider it if the gunner version has a cute helmet.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
That's what I'm doing now! Rolling the Black Head S instead of Black Face S because that shit's triggering.

Did the same with the Sailor cap, too. I find the loss in elemental damage is always worth the extra defence. I'll only consider it if the gunner version has a cute helmet.
Sometimes you do the oppisite as a blademaster to get those extra skill points and get more slots for razor sharp.

I too can believe it like naruto now.

I certainly hope hunter arts come back in the next game, but you're absolutely right, the Palicos/Prowlers have been a great addition. In 3U, the Shakas were good as bait, and in 4U they occasionally were life savers with their heals, but it became useless when you got to higher levels.

The cats in this game have been very good, but yeah the AI needs some bumping up. I have one with the trampoliner ability which is a game changer for a gunner like me who has trouble getting monsters near ledges. I thought it was something they had to charge up, but then I played as that cat and it's there all the time. Some sort of system where you can change the frequency of them using certain abilities would be great, maybe a sliding scale thing (so you can devote more frequency to say healing over say playing the cheer horn

jorgejjvr

I think prowler and Arts should definitely stay!

That being said, what they need to work on is - balance.

Hunters are more versatile and stronger than ever, and somehow the monsters feel weaker than ever.

I understand that you can hunt by yourself, or only with one more hunter, but I would argue that this game is at its best with 4 players online. At the very least, that is what I enjoy the most.

The problem there, is that doing so, feels like animal abuse. The monster die way too quickly and nothing is a challenge - not deviants, not hyper.

I started with MH4U, and I felt monster lasted way longer there, and G rank made the game last much longer as well.

Problems I see -

1) Monster's health.
2) 4 player hunter balance
3) No G rank, longevity- for some reason I felt I reached end game way faster than 4UH
4) Getting necessary items seems way more easier with the trader, like with armor spheres. Feels like it takes no effort.

Simple things that I think are easy to solve.

The new arts are awesome, and I love the changes to the glaive upgrade system!

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I think prowler and Arts should definitely stay!

That being said, what they need to work on is - balance.

Hunters are more versatile and stronger than ever, and somehow the monsters feel weaker than ever.

I understand that you can hunt by yourself, or only with one more hunter, but I would argue that this game is at its best with 4 players online. At the very least, that is what I enjoy the most.

The problem there, is that doing so, feels like animal abuse. The monster die way too quickly and nothing is a challenge - not deviants, not hyper.

I started with MH4U, and I felt monster lasted way longer there, and G rank made the game last much longer as well.

Problems I see -

1) Monster's health.
2) 4 player hunter balance
3) No G rank, longevity- for some reason I felt I reached end game way faster than 4UH
4) Getting necessary items seems way more easier with the trader, like with armor spheres. Feels like it takes no effort.

Simple things that I think are easy to solve.

The new arts are awesome, and I love the changes to the glaive upgrade system!
Well now monster health has to be adjusted to true damage values so its3X and not 4X.

brau

Questions for you smart guys.

Currently i am plowing through village quests. Already on Star 5 i think? Generally in previous games i defeat a monster and once i do i get a new looking armor i could get, or a weapon. This time around i don't see many weapons in all of the categories. Specially on the Charge Blade. I did notice earlier today that i could get way more options of CB if i upgraded the weapon. IT opened actually to several different ones depending on the one i wanted to upgrade. IS this one different where i need to upgrade to get new weapons? or maybe i just need to go to HR to see all the weapons start to spring up?

Beats

Does Kushala Daora need to be poisoned to get stunned? Hit the head with a bunch of explosive shots but wasn't able to get one.

NewGame

Banned
Does Kushala Daora need to be poisoned to get stunned? Hit the head with a bunch of explosive shots but wasn't able to get one.

Elder dragons typically have higher thresholds against status effects, you're going to have to work harder to shut them down.

Pejo

I think the poison only prevents the "dark" wind effect that blows you back, don't think it's a requirement of stunning him.

CTLance

Uuuugh. I'm not enjoying the post-"The Fated Four" string of Arena quests in 6* LR village. It just feels so unimaginative. If I wanted to battle monsters in an Arena, I'd go to the Hub area and speak with the Arena guy. :-/ Plus, four of them in a row? What a slog.

Oh well.

Darvan

Monster Gaf,

I need some help Great Sword user HR6. I'm not sure what armor set I should be working towards as for the (GS) I plan on using am going with the Tiger Blade I'm on the second upgrade need to fight HR tigerex so I could get the 3rd going. If anyone can assist and tell me what armor I should be going for next that would be great. I tried taking on one of the hyper's by myself man the length of the fight was too much Thanks again guys.

cheesekao

Monster Gaf,

I need some help Great Sword user HR6. I'm not sure what armor set I should be working towards as for the (GS) I plan on using am going with the Tiger Blade I'm on the second upgrade need to fight HR tigerex so I could get the 3rd going. If anyone can assist and tell me what armor I should be going for next that would be great. I tried taking on one of the hyper's by myself man the length of the fight was too much Thanks again guys.
I suggest getting a clownsuit with at least Focus and Crit Draw as those are the essentials for a GS. The Black S set has those two but you need to mine the big sword at Pokke with elder dragon bones to get the pieces.

Fistwell

I suggest getting a clownsuit with at least Focus and Crit Draw as those are the essentials for a GS. The Black S set has those two but you need to mine the big sword at Pokke with elder dragon bones to get the pieces.
Yeah the black set is easy (although can be tedious) to get and has great skills. I know Boney has a snazzy mixed GS set as well, dont remember what it's built on.

Darvan

Blackset is that the standard version or is it an S version ?

cheesekao

Blackset is that the standard version or is it an S version ?
S version is the high rank version. Also, if you have a Fastcharge +5 OOO slot talisman and a 1 slot weapon like your tigrex GS, you can ideally wear the Grimclaw Tigrex Set which comes with HG earplugs, Speed Eating+2, Destroyer and Crit Draw and you can gem in Fastcharge/Focus.

Sane_Man

Monster Gaf,

Yeah I'd go with Black S armor set. I'm using it with the Tigrex Blade and it's really good. You get Focus, Crit Draw and Blight Resistance and I've used a +4 Sheath talisman with 3 slots to add quick sheath.

If you don't have a good Sheath talisman you can use the Vespoid Tassets instead of the Black Armor spine to give you +5 Sheathing, but then you need to add in jewels to make up the rest (and you'll lose Blight resistance but it isn't as important).

Fistwell

Yeah I'd go with Black S armor set. I'm using it with the Tigrex Blade and it's really good. You get Focus, Crit Draw and Blight Resistance and I've used a +4 Sheath talisman with 3 slots to add quick sheath.
Yeah I'm using it with a punish draw (+5, 000), it's great fun.

Boney

Banned
I have a weird ass set with Tigrex Helmet, Dark Armor, black belt gloves, chrome metal failed and dark boots and a fast charge + 5 with 3 slots for Focus, Crit Draw and Punish Draw.

Just recently made a GS aerial set with vault mount sheathing and Stamina recovery, it's pretty fun

Cerity

Moved to Aerial Dual Blades, think I'll be sitting on these for the rest of the game. Ridiculously fun and the amount of hits you can pull off is satisfying.

DrArchon

The fashion hunter in me wants to make a full set of Gammoth Armor now that I've finally beaten it. Same with all the Gammoth weapons, but I'm not going to deal with -20% affinity just for a little power boost, and I'm not going to give up on my full set of Rathalos armor now that I've got a charm to give me Atk Up L.

Also, what are the requirements for allowing you to use more than 1 cat for trading? I know in 4U I was rocking 3 at once so I had that constant stream of honey and other stuff coming in, but with just 1 it's a hassle to try to decide which items I should focus on getting. I'm guessing it's some Prowler quests that I haven't unlocked?

Leiru

The fashion hunter in me wants to make a full set of Gammoth Armor now that I've finally beaten it. Same with all the Gammoth weapons, but I'm not going to deal with -20% affinity just for a little power boost, and I'm not going to give up on my full set of Rathalos armor now that I've got a charm to give me Atk Up L.

Also, what are the requirements for allowing you to use more than 1 cat for trading? I know in 4U I was rocking 3 at once so I had that constant stream of honey and other stuff coming in, but with just 1 it's a hassle to try to decide which items I should focus on getting. I'm guessing it's some Prowler quests that I haven't unlocked?

do village prowler quests.

Top Bottom