• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Kebiinu

Banned
For my first foray into this series, should I start with 4U or Generations? I heard 4U is better for the beginner, though I am concerned about possible lack of players due to Generations being out.

Start with Generations. The community is thriving, the tutorial missions are fine, and no one knows if the added gimmicks are here to stay or not, so might as well learn now!

DrArchon

Quick question as I'm confused about how to get Wyvern Scalps. I checked on Kiranico and it says you get them from wounding the shell on Shogun Ceanataurs. Do I have to wound the Gravios Skull that the Ceanataur gets after you break the first shell? Or can I get away with just breaking the first shell and then killing it?

Quick question as I'm confused about how to get Wyvern Scalps. I checked on Kiranico and it says you get them from wounding the shell on Shogun Ceanataurs. Do I have to wound the Gravios Skull that the Ceanataur gets after you break the first shell? Or can I get away with just breaking the first shell and then killing it?
I'm sure you can get them from fighting the Shogun, but I think I've gotten every one of mine from sending the Meownster Hunters after it.

Kinsei

Banned

There are three different shells a Ceanataur can have. The Gravios skull gives the best chance at getting scalps (50% chance of getting 2 and a 30% chance at getting 1) and the other skull-ish one has a 50% chance at getting you 1 scalp. The regular shell can't get you any.

DrArchon

I'm sure you can get them from fighting the Shogun, but I think I've gotten every one of mine from sending the Meownster Hunters after it.

I haven't tried the Meownster Hunters at all, so I'll keep checking for Ceanataurs there because I hate fighting them. I only need two to get that fucking bone CB leveled up to unlock the Lagiacrus CB, but I haven't gotten a single one even though I managed to make a full Ceanataur set.

There are three different shells a Ceanataur can have. The Gravios skull gives the best chance at getting scalps (50% chance of getting 2 and a 30% chance at getting 1) and the other skull-ish one has a 50% chance at getting you 1 scalp. The regular shell can't get you any.

Shit. Figures as much. I can't deal with the Gravios skull because my attacks always bounce and I don't have mind's eye (and I'd rather not make a new set just for two scalps). Guess I'll just keep resetting missions until I see one with the other skull.

Beats

Meownster Hunters is really good to do after every quest. It's practically free extra mats and other assorted items.

Kinsei

Banned
I haven't tried the Meownster Hunters at all, so I'll keep checking for Ceanataurs there because I hate fighting them. I only need two to get that fucking bone CB leveled up to unlock the Lagiacrus CB, but I haven't gotten a single one even though I managed to make a full Ceanataur set.

Shit. Figures as much. I can't deal with the Gravios skull because my attacks always bounce and I don't have mind's eye (and I'd rather not make a new set just for two scalps). Guess I'll just keep resetting missions until I see one with the other skull.

You don't bounce in aerial style and it give you openings to bomb it after every successful mount.

DrArchon

You don't bounce in aerial style and it give you openings to bomb it after every successful mount.

That's a good idea. I hardly ever use bombs and I really should get in the habit of bringing some along on hunts. Once my 3DS charges back up I'll try that out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Aerial switch axe feels broken to me. The jump allows me to be pretty aggressive, and even careless while rarely getting punished for it, and the damage is huge. Admittedly I'm still just going through the village quests, but so far, everything I've fraught has felt trivial. Just keep jump attacking a monster until I get a mount, and then sword mode it's face in. The energy recharge art recharges so fast that I basically have unlimited sword mode.

It is broken, which is why I primarily stopped using it. I've never really enjoyed the fastest time / min-max hunts though. I like a bit of a challenge and a little more technical skill involved in a weapon.

SnS for instance is incredible in this game, but it's not a mashing sort of weapon. That's my feeling anyways. There's always something broken in a Monhan game, that's just the way of things. Everyone is free to experience the game how they like though, that's the beauty of it.

DrArchon

Finally got two Wyvern Scalps. Christ that was way harder than it should've been for a basic upgrade item. I can't believe you can't get any from quest rewards up until something like 5-star guild quests, and there's no guarantee that a Ceanataur will ever get the shells that actually drop scalps.

On the plus side I got really good at breaking Ceanataur shells.

Now at least I'll be able to craft that sick Lagia CB tomorrow.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I been mindlessly farming Coal Hearted on my own for a couple of hours now to find a Normal Up+5 with 3 Slots but so far the closest I have gotten is finding a Normal Up+5 with 2 Slots instead unfortunately. I got over a Million Zenny now and I'm going to be very upset if I manage to hit the Money cap before I find that charm I want.

Edit:Just found a Normal Up+4 with 3 slots...this game is definitely messing with me now.

Ulthwe

The texture resolution, specially on monsters took a huge hit for one, and yeah the framerate and overall look too, it's flashier tho :p
You're right on the texture resolution. I have to admit that my first time entering the Arena in the demo was a rude awakening, as it looks quite muddy compared to 4U. Completely forgot about that.

Voror

Are Special Permits really expensive to obtain? I'm just looking ahead for weapons and such and noticed Silverwind Nargacuga and Hellblade Glavenus are both in that tier so I know I'll probably be farming them quite a bit to get their respective SAs as well as anything else I might want to make from them.

Fistwell

Are Special Permits really expensive to obtain? I'm just looking ahead for weapons and such and noticed Silverwind Nargacuga and Hellblade Glavenus are both in that tier so I know I'll probably be farming them quite a bit to get their respective SAs as well as anything else I might want to make from them.
Not rly expensive at all. Granted, I've only farmed one deviant, but it's been fine. Each permit is 500 wycademy point thingies. I have over a million, even after splurging on bomb casings and what nots when I get a chance.

Mupod

They are 500 each, but I could probably buy 99 of each of them and have points left over. I also spend my points willy nilly (700 lifecrystals? Sure why not) and don't do anything to farm them other than charm mining. I think I'm around 130-140 hours and HR92-ish.

On top of that, people need to post their own quests to level up - there are 10 levels of each deviant monster, and you can only get the next level of quest by posting and clearing the previous one (like an urgent). So in any farming room, you'll have others posting the quests. I've been moving my Dreadking level along but I'll still need 1-2 kills at each level to make the full armor set. In order to do that I will likely just help someone else level their quests. I should be ready to do that by the weekend if anyone is interested.

Voror

Not rly expensive at all. Granted, I've only farmed one deviant, but it's been fine. Each permit is 500 wycademy point thingies. I have over a million, even after splurging on bomb casings and what nots when I get a chance.

They are 500 each, but I could probably buy 99 of each of them and have points left over. I also spend my points willy nilly (700 lifecrystals? Sure why not) and don't do anything to farm them other than charm mining. I think I'm around 130-140 hours and HR92-ish.

On top of that, people need to post their own quests to level up - there are 10 levels of each deviant monster, and you can only get the next level of quest by posting and clearing the previous one (like an urgent). So in any farming room, you'll have others posting the quests. I've been moving my Dreadking level along but I'll still need 1-2 kills at each level to make the full armor set. In order to do that I will likely just help someone else level their quests. I should be ready to do that by the weekend if anyone is interested.

Okay that's good.

When you say rooms do you mean these can only be done in multiplayer? I haven't touched that yet so I don't really understand it too well. Was just planning to go solo until it became impossible.

tuffy

Okay that's good.

When you say rooms do you mean these can only be done in multiplayer? I haven't touched that yet so I don't really understand it too well. Was just planning to go solo until it became impossible.
No quest in the game requires multiplayer; all the Hub stuff can be done solo if you like.

Hybris

On the topic of meownster hunters, I have some tips on how to maximize your returns. Two of the most sought after mats are Dash extract and Pale extract for Mega Dash Juice and Mega Demondrug. (Note: Mega Demondrug stacks with kitchen attack buff in this game). Get yourself 8-12 trapping cats (purple color) and check the 4th area for gypceros (dash extract) and khezu (pale extract). The trapping cats always grant 3 items each from the monster. Each extract reward will have 2 (low rank) or 4 (high rank). I've easily been able to maintain enough extracts to sustain using Mega Dash Juice and Mega Demondrug on every hunt. I think the most extra I've gotten in a single run is 24, it's pretty awesome.

Fistwell

Like Tuffy said, you can technically do these quests solo. They get progressively tougher on your way from version I to version X, though. Later ones become difficult to do on your own.

Mupod

Okay that's good.

Depending on the monster I would not recommend some deviants solo. The level 1 Dreadking Rathalos was my first timeout - although I went in somewhat unprepared, wrong kind of earplugs, no cats, missed a trap and didn't understand how to flashbomb him. I feel confident that I could easily solo others like Crystalbeard Uragaan to 10, if I had the time or inclination.

In particular you're looking at 20-30 monster clears for the armor set, and minimum 10 for a weapon. I only had to do 10 Grimclaw Tigrexes for my hammer (did 5 or so extras to help out) and that was a significant time investment. I'm not afraid to solo anything in this game but I don't have the patience to farm that long, so multiplayer is convenient.

You can enter random rooms specifically for that monster or join one of our GAF rooms and take turns. I've got Dreadking up to 7 by doing the latter and I've helped others plenty.

edit: to be clear, deviants are grindy but optional. There are weapons and armor on par with their stuff from Hyper monsters, and those don't really take more than the usual number of clears. I use the Grimclaw Tigrex hammer but many use the regular Tigrex hammer over it. I just like the faster Arts building and think it looks cool. And I've liked fighting most of the deviant monsters so far, even if Rathalos is a gigantic jackass.

Voror

No quest in the game requires multiplayer; all the Hub stuff can be done solo if you like.

Like Tuffy said, you can technically do these quests solo. They get progressively tougher on your way from version I to version X, though. Later ones become difficult to do on your own.

Depending on the monster I would not recommend some deviants solo. The level 1 Dreadking Rathalos was my first timeout - although I went in somewhat unprepared, wrong kind of earplugs, no cats, missed a trap and didn't understand how to flashbomb him. I feel confident that I could easily solo others like Crystalbeard Uragaan to 10, if I had the time or inclination.

In particular you're looking at 20-30 monster clears for the armor set, and minimum 10 for a weapon. I only had to do 10 Grimclaw Tigrexes for my hammer (did 5 or so extras to help out) and that was a significant time investment. I'm not afraid to solo anything in this game but I don't have the patience to farm that long, so multiplayer is convenient.

You can enter random rooms specifically for that monster or join one of our GAF rooms and take turns. I've got Dreadking up to 7 by doing the latter and I've helped others plenty.

edit: to be clear, deviants are grindy but optional. There are weapons and armor on par with their stuff from Hyper monsters, and those don't really take more than the usual number of clears. I use the Grimclaw Tigrex hammer but many use the regular Tigrex hammer over it. I just like the faster Arts building and think it looks cool. And I've liked fighting most of the deviant monsters so far, even if Rathalos is a gigantic jackass.

Ah understood. Yeah, I imagine in that case I'll try multiplayer to make that go faster, especially as they get tougher as they become more powerful as well as the fact I don't know how much I need since while I have something of a good idea on weapons (at least for SA such as the Hellblade and Silverwind Axe), armor sets and such are an entirely different matter.

I'm still super early. Just finished building a set of Tetsucabra armor since I figured the defense would be useful, though I'll need to branch out as it goes along. Trying to figure out what sort of skills are good for SA still. And that's without exploring some of the other weapons I want to dive into more like CB and HH.

Boney

Banned
Finally got two Wyvern Scalps. Christ that was way harder than it should've been for a basic upgrade item. I can't believe you can't get any from quest rewards up until something like 5-star guild quests, and there's no guarantee that a Ceanataur will ever get the shells that actually drop scalps.

On the plus side I got really good at breaking Ceanataur shells.

Now at least I'll be able to craft that sick Lagia CB tomorrow.
PSA
Sending your cats on Meister hunter to hunt the crab will give you tons of wyvern scalps each go. A little late on this but might still help.

Infinite

Trying to get 2 rembora head and it ain't happening
mjcry1.png

DrArchon

PSA
Sending your cats on Meister hunter to hunt the crab will give you tons of wyvern scalps each go. A little late on this but might still help.

Is there a way to guarantee certain monsters popping up in Meownster Hunter quests? Because otherwise I wouldn't call that a reliable source of specific mats, more of a way to get general mats as a bonus. I went on something like 4 hunts yesterday to get the two scalps and never saw a Ceanataur pop up in the list for the Meownster Hunters.

Mupod

Ah understood. Yeah, I imagine in that case I'll try multiplayer to make that go faster, especially as they get tougher as they become more powerful as well as the fact I don't know how much I need since while I have something of a good idea on weapons (at least for SA such as the Hellblade and Silverwind Axe), armor sets and such are an entirely different matter.

I'm still super early. Just finished building a set of Tetsucabra armor since I figured the defense would be useful, though I'll need to branch out as it goes along. Trying to figure out what sort of skills are good for SA still. And that's without exploring some of the other weapons I want to dive into more like CB and HH.

I had never used SA before this game and decided to use it to clear the offline stuff. Ceanataur armor lasted me quite a while - Adept SA is quite independent of defensive skills but Razor Sharp was extremely useful. Combined with the Seregios axe I never had to sharpen again.

Fandangox

I played yesterday with some randoms before going to sleep, they were really good, two of them had pierce shot HBG and everything was dying in seconds pretty much.

I just realized how underused the Frozen Seaway battle theme is in this game. I'm pretty sure the only time it actually plays is when fighting Zamtrios. Cause otherwise a specific monster theme plays instead.

It's kinda sad, I really like the Frozen Seaway battle theme. :(

DrArchon

I just realized how underused the Frozen Seaway battle theme is in this game. I'm pretty sure the only time it actually plays is when fighting Zamtrios. Cause otherwise a specific monster theme plays instead.

It's kinda sad, I really like the Frozen Seaway battle theme. :(

It was the same in MH4U for the most part. I think you only heard that theme for Zamtrios and Lagombi there. For whatever reason Khezu had no music (I thought it was a bug at first but then I fight Khezu in MHG and low and behold no music).

RedFury

It was the same in MH4U for the most part. I think you only heard that theme for Zamtrios and Lagombi there. For whatever reason Khezu had no music (I thought it was a bug at first but then I fight Khezu in MHG and low and behold no music).
Ha, is that what it is? Just yesterday I was fighting him for E.sacs with my brother and was saying for some reason he seems so plain/boring to fight. Like there is no tension what so ever, no music huh?

Boney

Banned
No music cause he's blind. It's stupid as heck because it's not like he can't notice you and know where you are.

Erase this shit monster from existence and bring back giggi

Is there a way to guarantee certain monsters popping up in Meownster Hunter quests? Because otherwise I wouldn't call that a reliable source of specific mats, more of a way to get general mats as a bonus. I went on something like 4 hunts yesterday to get the two scalps and never saw a Ceanataur pop up in the list for the Meownster Hunters.
They randomly pop in the different areas but one run will get you 10 wyvern scalps or more. And it's probably gonna show up at least once in 4 hunts so it's not a huge issue. Most of the materials you get are scales or carapaces but with this guy it's rather handy.

So last night I finally unlocked the HR limit and was mildly disappointed that I only bumped up to HR30 even though I only have a handful of 6* village quests left to complete.

What kind of jump did other folks see?

Yeah in MH4U it was Zamtrios, Tetsucabra (once) and Tidal Najarala. That was it.

Since Khezu can't physically "see" you, no music plays as a result.
Which is weird cause back in Tri/3U Gigginox had no eyes and could not physically see, yet the Tundra battle theme played.

DrArchon

No music cause he's blind. It's stupid as heck because it's not like he can't notice you and know where you are.

Erase this shit monster from existence and bring back giggi
That's awful. What a terrible reason to leave out something as critical to the experience as music. When a player can confuse a facet of your game for a bug, you've fucked up.

Giggi was way better too. Looked way better as well.

They randomly pop in the different areas but one run will get you 10 wyvern scalps or more. And it's probably gonna show up at least once in 4 hunts so it's not a huge issue. Most of the materials you get are scales or carapaces but with this guy it's rather handy.

Do the types of Pallicos matter for the hunter mini-game? I haven't looked into it at all so I have no idea, but would, say, gathering Pallicos get more gather-able drops while fighters would get monster mats?

spiritfox

Been fighting a bunch of Dreadqueen Rathian, and I must say I really liked what they did to change up her moveset. She is hard hitting but all the dangerous moves are telegraphed properly, and her poison gimmick makes her actually dangerous compared to her normal form. It's a really interesting fight. Too bad I can't say the same for Dreadking Rathalos, who's just annoying to fight.

Also I'm sick of this deviant theme.

DrArchon

Lagombi has his own theme, shared with Arzuros & Volvidon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsaVClEo0uI

In MH4U, the Frozen Seaway background music was effectively used for Zamtrios, Tigrex, Seregios, Tetsucabra and Tidal Najarala.

Oh, shit, I never noticed. That's cool. I never payed any attention to Lagombi's music because I never grinded them (same with Volvidon and Arzuros so far). Must've been brought over from Portable 3rd.

Wouldn't Tigrex and Seregios have used their own themes as well though?

Voror

I had never used SA before this game and decided to use it to clear the offline stuff. Ceanataur armor lasted me quite a while - Adept SA is quite independent of defensive skills but Razor Sharp was extremely useful. Combined with the Seregios axe I never had to sharpen again.

I've pretty much been using Aerial SA only thus far, which I actually find a lot of fun once you get going with it and it makes it easy to mount. The Seregios axe is the Akso Switch one, yes? I had that recommended to me and was planning to eventually work towards it. Right now using a Bone Axe. Looking at skills though Razer Sharp would be incredibly useful since next to healing it's sharpening that slows me down the most, so I'll see about working to that armor.

That's awful. What a terrible reason to leave out something as critical to the experience as music. When a player can confuse a facet of your game for a bug, you've fucked up.
I actually like Khezu without music. Makes fighting it way creepier.

Do the types of Pallicos matter for the hunter mini-game? I haven't looked into it at all so I have no idea, but would, say, gathering Pallicos get more gather-able drops while fighters would get monster mats?
You get extra drops if your palico color matches the color of the zone. Fighting for red, trapping for purple, healing for green, etc.

DrArchon

You get extra drops if your palico color matches the color of the zone. Fighting for red, trapping for purple, healing for green, etc.

Got it. Looks like I'll have to recruit a diverse selection of cats. I haven't payed any attention to palicos except for grabbing a defense one to taunt monsters and forging some armor/weapons, so I guess I better start boning up on what's changed from 4U.

PKrockin

Wow why have I never abused the swaxe discharge before? I'm spamming it with the hornetaur switch axe and getting about as many paralysis procs as the gendrome sword and shield.

Wish there was an instant replay function you could post online too, I had an amazing kill against Dreadqueen when I blasted her out of the air with it.

Ha, is that what it is? Just yesterday I was fighting him for E.sacs with my brother and was saying for some reason he seems so plain/boring to fight. Like there is no tension what so ever, no music huh?
It's bad enough that there's no music, but in Freedom Unite you couldn't even panic dive when fighting him for the same "logic". Gen 1 and 2 monsters are garbage.

Pejo

Wow why have I never abused the swaxe discharge before? I'm spamming it with the hornetaur switch axe and getting about as many paralysis procs as the gendrome sword and shield.

Wish there was an instant replay function you could post online too, I had an amazing kill against Dreadqueen when I blasted her out of the air with it.

It's bad enough that there's no music, but in Freedom Unite you couldn't even panic dive when fighting him for the same "logic". Gen 1 and 2 monsters are garbage.

If there was ever a franchise I'd abuse the PS4 Share button for, it'd be MH. I've gotten some insane kills, interrupts, and once in a lifetime evades and no way to show them.

At what point am I safe to start grinding Deviants? I'm HR50 and got a few maxed out weapons, but all of the really good stuff seems to be behind the deviants. I really want that Silverwind armor set and the Hellblade weapon, for instance.

Is there a defense number I should aspire to before beginning to farm them? I have them all unlocked, but never fought one yet. My latest playtime has been spent going through hyper variants, which I don't find to be that much harder.

Is there a good armor for HR for a LBG user? I was reading about the Moofah stuff and started working towards it but I'm not sure if it's still good since the game came out and people have had more time to explore combinations.

Anything would be great for me since I mained Tetsu armor all the way into G Rank the last game lmao

Top Bottom