• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Just grabbed this last night, have not played a MH game religiously since Freedom on the PSP so have a few questions. I just started out, picked the Guild Art and went to my home and looks like this can be changed on the whim, so far all I'm seeing is that one offers more slots than the other with the same abilities, do these eventually change?

I was looking into weapon/art specs and it's confusing me a bit, I see a lot of things like "SnS Bushido" and i have no idea what that means. Is that the long sword? What is SnS? I was thinking of going the samurai blade route (if I remember correctly this is the fast swinger long sword).

Sorry for being a noob, I read up as much as I could but just couldn't figure some things out.

Just grabbed this last night, have not played a MH game religiously since Freedom on the PSP so have a few questions. I just started out, picked the Guild Art and went to my home and looks like this can be changed on the whim, so far all I'm seeing is that one offers more slots than the other with the same abilities, do these eventually change?

I was looking into weapon/art specs and it's confusing me a bit, I see a lot of things like "SnS Bushido" and i have no idea what that means. Is that the long sword? What is SnS? I was thinking of going the samurai blade route (if I remember correctly this is the fast swinger long sword).

Sorry for being a noob, I read up as much as I could but just couldn't figure some things out.

SnS is sword and shield, which is a small and fast sword. You are referring to the Long Sword (LS) weapon (which is a great weapon class!). Bushido is the Japanese name for the Adept style. I think you get the hunter arts pretty early on. The later levels of those arts are a bit later in the game, though.

Third is on HR unlock.

Ugh that is late in the game. Thanks for the correction, though.

spiritfox

Wait, are farming carts 2 and 3 unlocked in the Village quests or Guild quests?

And so far this game feels so much easier than MH4U - I think I'm on LR5 and I haven't needed to improve my armour yet.

There are 2 ways to unlock them. Via prowler quests before the HR thresholds, and automatically when you reach the thresholds.

redcrayon

In addition to your weapon choice, you have a style choice and art slots depending on the style. You won't recieve more art slots, but you will get a far wider choice of arts as you progress. The styles are guild (two slots, standard monster hunter), adept (aka bushido in Japan, has one art slot, evade and counter-attacks ), striker (three slots) and aerial (one slot but gains the ability to jump off of monsters and hunters, and easier to mount monsters).

You have access to a small number of arts (the special moves) at the start, and gain more as you progress through the game and clear quests. Guild style is pretty much standard monster hunter, but the other styles replace or lose various basic moves depending on the weapon in exchange for their new abilities. For example, Striker style loses some basic moves per weapon in exchange for the extra art slot.

If there's a move/combo you rely on a lot with guild style, it's worth checking the tutorials to see if you can still do it if you change style.

Edit: only one art slot for adept

Mupod

You unlock more Arts as you do quests and progress. There are Arts that work on every weapon (absolute evasion for example) but each weapon has 3 individual Arts that are typically big flashy power moves or self-buffs.

Each style adds, removes, or tweaks parts of the weapon's movesets. If you haven't played in that long then you've missed some of the major moveset overhauls in 3rd and 4th gen so some of it might be lost on you. But Gaijin Hunter's youtube tutorials go over entire movesets in-depth as well as the changes in each style. I've put tons of hours into every game since Freedom 2 and his tutorials were extremely valuable to me. The damage values for individual moves are VERY useful.

Example of a weapon I'm familiar with, Hammer:

Guild style: Plays like it did in MH3U/4U, and you get two Arts slots. The importance of this style is that it retains the 'uppercut' charge move it gained in Tri, which is fast/has huge range/does a lot of KO.

Striker style: Removes the golf swing from the third hit of the main combo (a huge part of Hammer's damage output) and powers up the super pound (charge move) instead. You get 3 Arts slots, which is no joke as Hammer arts are great.

Aerial style: Adds the ability to jump instead of dodge (as with all aerial styles) and removes the super pound. Instead you get a 'super uppercut'. Only gets one Art.

Adept style: Also known as Bushido style. Adds huge amounts of invulnerability to your dodges, and after a dodge you can go straight into charging up an even more powerful set of charge moves (that actually work very differently). In exchange, you lose the uppercut and only have 1 Art slot. You also can't combo off of partial charges. It pretty much plays exactly like MHFU hammer plus the special dodge and super charge.

Wrote a bit more than I was expecting there but I hope it gives you an idea of how styles change things up.

DrArchon

But Gaijin Hunter's youtube tutorials go over entire movesets in-depth as well as the changes in each style. I've put tons of hours into every game since Freedom 2 and his tutorials were extremely valuable to me. The damage values for individual moves are VERY useful.

I'd like to second this point here. Gaijin Hunter's videos were super helpful in showing off what each style does for each weapon. I didn't follow the game prior to the western launch much, so I came into it assuming that the only changes from the styles would be the stuff like different dodges and number of allowed arts. Without those videos I would probably still be trying out weapon movesets and getting unpleasantly surprised by finding missing moves.

SnS is sword and shield, which is a small and fast sword. You are referring to the Long Sword (LS) weapon (which is a great weapon class!). Bushido is the Japanese name for the Adept style. I think you get the hunter arts pretty early on. The later levels of those arts are a bit later in the game, though.

In addition to your weapon choice, you have a style choice and art slots depending on the style. You won't recieve more art slots, but you will get a far wider choice of arts as you progress. The styles are guild (two slots, standard monster hunter), adept (aka bushido in Japan, has one art slot, evade and counter-attacks ), striker (three slots) and aerial (one slot but gains the ability to jump off of monsters and hunters, and easier to mount monsters).

You have access to a small number of arts (the special moves) at the start, and gain more as you progress through the game and clear quests. Guild style is pretty much standard monster hunter, but the other styles replace or lose various basic moves depending on the weapon in exchange for their new abilities. For example, Striker style loses some basic moves per weapon in exchange for the extra art slot.

If there's a move/combo you rely on a lot with guild style, it's worth checking the tutorials to see if you can still do it if you change style.

Edit: only one art slot for adept
You unlock more Arts as you do quests and progress. There are Arts that work on every weapon (absolute evasion for example) but each weapon has 3 individual Arts that are typically big flashy power moves or self-buffs.

Each style adds, removes, or tweaks parts of the weapon's movesets. If you haven't played in that long then you've missed some of the major moveset overhauls in 3rd and 4th gen so some of it might be lost on you. But Gaijin Hunter's youtube tutorials go over entire movesets in-depth as well as the changes in each style. I've put tons of hours into every game since Freedom 2 and his tutorials were extremely valuable to me. The damage values for individual moves are VERY useful.

Example of a weapon I'm familiar with, Hammer:

Guild style: Plays like it did in MH3U/4U, and you get two Arts slots. The importance of this style is that it retains the 'uppercut' charge move it gained in Tri, which is fast/has huge range/does a lot of KO.

Striker style: Removes the golf swing from the third hit of the main combo (a huge part of Hammer's damage output) and powers up the super pound (charge move) instead. You get 3 Arts slots, which is no joke as Hammer arts are great.

Aerial style: Adds the ability to jump instead of dodge (as with all aerial styles) and removes the super pound. Instead you get a 'super uppercut'. Only gets one Art.

Adept style: Also known as Bushido style. Adds huge amounts of invulnerability to your dodges, and after a dodge you can go straight into charging up an even more powerful set of charge moves (that actually work very differently). In exchange, you lose the uppercut and only have 1 Art slot. You also can't combo off of partial charges. It pretty much plays exactly like MHFU hammer plus the special dodge and super charge.

Wrote a bit more than I was expecting there but I hope it gives you an idea of how styles change things up.

Woah...thanks so much guys this really clears things up for. I guess my main takeaway is that by switching weapons and styles I'm able to do anything that I want really, and I'm never locked down to one style/weapon.

redcrayon

Woah...thanks so much guys this really clears things up for. I guess my main takeaway is that by switching weapons and styles I'm able to do anything that I want really, and I'm never locked down to one style/weapon.
Quite right, you can change your style and arts whenever you can change your equipment at your house/prep area.

The arts seem to count as equipment if you are registering item sets too- I have three sets I swap between, and initially registered them with the lance art 'corkscrew II'. Upon upgrading to 'corkscrew III', I had to update the other registered sets too, otherwise it would go back to the art I had registered at the time.

DrArchon

I'm probably going to jump on this soon. How hard is the game in terms of solo play?

There's a fairly lengthy single player mode and you can do missions meant for multiplayer by yourself without too much difficulty up to a point. I wouldn't say it's too hard at all, but I put tons of hours into Tri and 4U so it may be different for you. Is this your first MonHun game?

ohlawd

There's a fairly lengthy single player mode and you can do missions meant for multiplayer by yourself without too much difficulty up to a point. I wouldn't say it's too hard at all, but I put tons of hours into Tri and 4U so it may be different for you. Is this your first MonHun game?
nah, Meph's been playing MH for a while

MHG is easy af.

Pejo

Made some really good progress last night.

Finished building my EX Gore set, combined it with a pretty decent charm I had to get Sharpness + 10, Challenger + 15, and Biology + 15. Need some more Hyper Gore parts to fully max out the defense still.

Also made a Crimson Fury IG from scratch. I was reading about the effectiveness of Poison weapons cutting time out of hunts yesterday, so I wanted one. It definitely makes a noticeable difference. Plus it's got Blue sharpness by default and 210 raw, which is the highest I have at the moment.

Damn though, killing all of those Ioprey and Iodromes was painful.

I also finally settled on which elemental glaives I'm going for. I don't like Blunt glaives, so I'll be making:

Ice - Névé Rod
Fire - Heaven's Rath Glaive
Thunder - Bolt Chamber
Water - Fox Halberd
Dragon - Leumundslist

All decent raw, decent element, and blue sharp without Handicraft. Gonna be a lot of grinding ahead.

Does anyone who has more experience with IG from 4U know, what is the purpose of blunt glaives other than higher raw damage? Can you actually KO with them? I'm a tail cutter by nature since I always ran Swaxe in past games, so I really like cutting glaives.

Mupod

I'm finding it harder to find good rooms to play online in this game. MH4U was bad, but this is insane. I'm still HR2 ferchristssake!

I haven't played with randoms in a while. I just use the GAF discord.

Granted if you're HR2 you probably don't want some HR150 guy coming in and instagibbing everything.

Tarps

Fuck me long swords and their tripping are the worst. Maybe I should go back to playing as a gunner.

I want to get into Long Swords, but this is putting me offe. Might save LS for village quests until I have a better understanding of how not to trip.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
I want to get into Long Swords, but this is putting me offe. Might save LS for village quests until I have a better understanding of how not to trip.

It's really just the spirit combos that trip. Switch to Aerial LS and do all your spirits in the air! (easier that way, too)

I just got to High Rank in the Hub and I'm in serious need of better armor, I'm playing Bow, can anyone give me some tips as to what to go for this time around? I do have friends who can help me out, so I'm not really limited by difficulty.

Mephala

No its not my first MH. I'm pretty comfortable with solo even in G-Rank but I was wondering how comparable the difficulty is compared to older games. Given the new movesets and all the flashiness I thought maybe hunt times might be shorter or maybe they made the monsters tougher to compensate. I really don't have as much time as I used to so I'll likely be trying to cut corners in terms of armour and stuff.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
No its not my first MH. I'm pretty comfortable with solo even in G-Rank but I was wondering how comparable the difficulty is compared to older games. Given the new movesets and all the flashiness I thought maybe hunt times might be shorter or maybe they made the monsters tougher to compensate. I really don't have as much time as I used to so I'll likely be trying to cut corners in terms of armour and stuff.
If you're accustomed to the series then this is the easiest MH game yet

spiritfox

I just got to High Rank in the Hub and I'm in serious need of better armor, I'm playing Bow, can anyone give me some tips as to what to go for this time around? I do have friends who can help me out, so I'm not really limited by difficulty.

Mosgharl S parts with Fastcharge plus other stuff is generally the way to go for early high rank.

tamminen

Can I just keep playing online with others or do I have to play single player for, say, unlocking something crucial? I didnt enjoy soloing that much in 3U and this seems no different.

thefil

Can I just keep playing online with others or do I have to play single player for, say, unlocking something crucial? I didnt enjoy soloing that much in 3U and this seems no different.

Some food ingredients and materials for unique armours (Guild Blue Armour, for example) only come from village as far as I know. But both these things are somewhat optional.

jackal27

Banned
Man I am just having so much trouble picking a Style. I'm Charge Blade, but I can't choose between Aerial and Adept. With Aerial I get to play more aggressively which is kind of my jam, but it also feels a little simplistic and clumsy. Adept is a lot of fun, but also feels clumsy since I can't Adept Dodge while in SnS mode. Also when I'm fighting a monster that's not super aggressive, Adept can be boring.

What do you guys think?

DrArchon

Man I am just having so much trouble picking a Style. I'm Charge Blade, but I can't choose between Aerial and Adept. With Aerial I get to play more aggressively which is kind of my jam, but it also feels a little simplistic and clumsy. Adept is a lot of fun, but also feels clumsy since I can't Adept Dodge while in SnS mode. Also when I'm fighting a monster that's not super aggressive, Adept can be boring.

What do you guys think?

Between the two I'd go Aerial just for the aerial discharge for easy mounting, but I'm not good enough at timing dodges for Adept. It's not like either one really sticks out as being more busted than the other, so I'd just go with whichever is more fun more often than not.

For CB I'm running Striker for the 3 arts and the extra damage on red charged axe.

taybul

Between the two I'd go Aerial just for the aerial discharge for easy mounting, but I'm not good enough at timing dodges for Adept. It's not like either one really sticks out as being more busted than the other, so I'd just go with whichever is more fun more often than not.

For CB I'm running Striker for the 3 arts and the extra damage on red charged axe.

Doesn't Adept+CB get the nice long guard point on the A-button charge?

Its quite long yes. Its a nice one too. Also the X+A move that steps forward gets a guard point.

The step forward that gets a guard point is the Striker Style one.

In Adept the step forward has no guard point, however, as mentioned before, the A charge attack has one, and if you hit X after, you perform the round slash which has a guardpoint too.

Edit: you can basically do a 4hit all guardpoint infinite combo. A>X>XR>R (Repeat)

Hybris

Made some really good progress last night.

Finished building my EX Gore set, combined it with a pretty decent charm I had to get Sharpness + 10, Challenger + 15, and Biology + 15. Need some more Hyper Gore parts to fully max out the defense still.

Also made a Crimson Fury IG from scratch. I was reading about the effectiveness of Poison weapons cutting time out of hunts yesterday, so I wanted one. It definitely makes a noticeable difference. Plus it's got Blue sharpness by default and 210 raw, which is the highest I have at the moment.

Damn though, killing all of those Ioprey and Iodromes was painful.

I also finally settled on which elemental glaives I'm going for. I don't like Blunt glaives, so I'll be making:

Ice - Névé Rod
Fire - Heaven's Rath Glaive
Thunder - Bolt Chamber
Water - Fox Halberd
Dragon - Leumundslist

All decent raw, decent element, and blue sharp without Handicraft. Gonna be a lot of grinding ahead.

Does anyone who has more experience with IG from 4U know, what is the purpose of blunt glaives other than higher raw damage? Can you actually KO with them? I'm a tail cutter by nature since I always ran Swaxe in past games, so I really like cutting glaives.

Blunt actually refers to the damage type of the kinsect, not the glaive. The glaive is always cutting.

My choices for glaives here were:

Ice - Giant's Cudgel
Fire - Flaming Teuza (be careful with your choice, it can't be fully upgraded until hyper silverlos and goldian are released, gog knows when)
Thunder - Demonlord Cudgel (This thing is insane with Sharpness +1, probably my favorite glaive in the game)
Water - Sand Anchor
Dragon - Didn't bother, none seem all that good
Blast - Ashen Teuza

Pejo

Blunt actually refers to the damage type of the kinsect, not the glaive. The glaive is always cutting.

My choices for glaives here were:

Ice - Giant's Cudgel
Fire - Flaming Teuza (be careful with your choice, it can't be fully upgraded until hyper silverlos and goldian are released, gog knows when)
Thunder - Demonlord Cudgel (This thing is insane with Sharpness +1, probably my favorite glaive in the game)
Water - Sand Anchor
Dragon - Didn't bother, none seem all that good
Blast - Ashen Teuza

Bah, I wish I had realized this long, long ago. Well, time to go back to the drawing board on my glaives. Thanks for the clarification and suggestions!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone else feel like there's not as much ferver surrounding this game as there was 4U? I'm having a much harder time getting groups to run keys online. And the discussion groups seem to be less...active?

Beats

Ohlawd's room is full so I'm making another HR7+ turns room if anyone wants to do anything:

28-9052-0886-7799
Pass is 1234

edit: full.

Top Bottom