• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

I know your pain. After 20+ Bracchi's I finally got my jewel to upgrade my long sword. It sucks that I need about 4 more. :\

On a brighter note I have about 5 rathalos plates, 3 rubies and 2 rathian rubies. That's something. :p

Yep now that I'm in village rank 9 I'll have to resume Bracchi farming to upgrade my weapons, I've got 2 of his rubies but need some more.

An hour ago I defeated Barioth sub (he's really big but damn he was easy), Nargacuga (quite easy, almost the same as in P3rd so I knew the strategy) and Rathalos sub (a bit more aggressive than normal but easy nonetheless...though his tail is too hard for my green sharpness longsword. Got yet another ruby from him and another rare mat but still no luck for a second plate).
Interestingly enough, no more quests opened up, and I talked to everybody but one guy, so I'll need to wait until the boat captain comes back from his trip I guess?

edit : Yeah! Uragaan ruby get. I can now make my Uragaan S gunner set :) Now I guess I'll farm (Azure) Rathalos for a plate and materials for that sweet Riosoul blademaster set and upgrade my hammer.

Tenbatsu

Game's difficulty took a serious downturn after the introduction of Bracchi weapons :(

I guess the new element need some tweaking after all.

I've been wondering something regarding Bracchidios weapons.

Is the explosion element damaging the monster on every hit? Only when it splashes with color? Only when exploding?
Does the skill Bomber then only power up the explosions or does it also strengthen normal/splash hits?
How's the damage calculated? Added as raw power ? Follows the math for normal element damage?

Hope to get the answers to these questions soon when people are getting the info from Capcom's MH3G books.

Tenbatsu

I've been wondering something regarding Bracchidios weapons.

Is the explosion element damaging the monster on every hit? Only when it splashes with color? Only when exploding?
Does the skill Bomber then only power up the explosions or does it also strengthen normal/splash hits?
How's the damage calculated? Added as raw power ? Follows the math for normal element damage?

Hope to get the answers to these questions soon when people are getting the info from Capcom's MH3G books.
This is what I gathered from the net:

- The explosion value on the weapons works the same as Status value (poison, sleep, Stun)
- The damage for one explosion is 150
- Bomber and Neko skill does not power up the explosion, but rather the accumulated value
- The accumulated value wil not decrease over time unlike Status
- Element weapon does more damage on monster weak spot but explosion works better otherwise

I see, makes sense in a way.

How much damage does a Large Barrel G do then? I know the common strategy is to place two of them and detonate them with a little one or a weapon so it should be more powerful than one Bracchi explosion but it's for the sake of comparison.
Also, given how the slime is supposed to work, do we need to keep hitting the same body part to build up that part's "explosion gauge" or does hitting any part build up an overall gauge for the monster (I assume that's like other status effects work)?

Yesterday night I finally got to talk to the captain, and got the other quests unlocked. Defeated Uragaan sub and Agnaktor sub, easy ones.
Next on the kill list is female Diablos during mating season aka Black Diablos aka Diablos sub. Then it's gonna be farming time once again yay.

So Alatreon is a village quest only this time around? I'm itching for some elder draggy fun!

I'm in love with my bracchi long sword by the way. I took down a poor little Jho in 12 minutes which is a record for me. It was during that "Kill 10 jaggia quest" and the actual urgent to kill him took about 18 minutes I think.

G rank or bust now~ Heh

Tenbatsu

I see, makes sense in a way.

How much damage does a Large Barrel G do then? I know the common strategy is to place two of them and detonate them with a little one or a weapon so it should be more powerful than one Bracchi explosion but it's for the sake of comparison.
Also, given how the slime is supposed to work, do we need to keep hitting the same body part to build up that part's "explosion gauge" or does hitting any part build up an overall gauge for the monster (I assume that's like other status effects work)?
In MH3 the damage for a Large Barrel G is 150, with Bomber its X 1.5, still unsure about the calculation in MH3G thou.

I read that different monster parts will have different resistance to explosion. Eg. Head might explode in 3 hits, legs 20 etc etc This however is still unclear, need more details from Capcom.

I also just found out that with Bomber skill, 爆破属性(蓄積)値 = X 1.2 in MH3G. Cat food is 1.1

Kyon

Banned
xxXZY.jpg

Monster Hunter featured in latest ONM.

Nothing else to share at the moment.

lol sis you know it aint ever coming.
kLIcq.gif

In MH3 the damage for a Large Barrel G is 150, with Bomber its X 1.5, still unsure about the calculation in MH3G thou.

I read that different monster parts will have different resistance to explosion. Eg. Head might explode in 3 hits, legs 20 etc etc This however is still unclear, need more details from Capcom.

I also just found out that with Bomber skill, 爆破属性(蓄積)値 = X 1.2 in MH3G. Cat food is 1.1

Thanks for this ;) We'll get every detail when Capcom releases the 2 MH3G books but it's a good starting point.

I defeated Black Diablos yesterday on the first try with my bow, she killed me once in the run though, but I'm quite thrilled as it was my first "real" fight with a bow.

I also found out I stopped playing at 99:26 and that is the exact time it took me to platinum Demon's Souls in 2009 =D

fates

Magazine has ETA Summer on the first article page, but later says "we hope it comes sooner than later". I think ONM is just taking random guesses.

Well you got to take that as a "we played it, it's great, it's only in Japan for now so people, see what you're missing and begin to show interest in the hope Capcom realizes we want it"

Update on my progress, I captured Lagiacrus Sub in 9:52! It was also the first time I attempted the quest so I'm quite thrilled to have done sub-10. He surprised me with some of his new attacks. He's so great because he stays on land (area 6 and 7) so no need to move the camera up and down to follow him.
I carved his tail after cutting it...and got his rare Sapphire, rofl. Not that I really need it right now though ^^; In addition of this, we get two cool videos for beating him (
the True Opening
and
the MH3G theme song sung by the blue-ish diva
)
So...yeah, I'll first upgrade some of my other Bracchidios weapons for now and then I'll do the next urgent village rank 9 quest, Deviljho in the volcano ;_;

john tv

Well you got to take that as a "we played it, it's great, it's only in Japan for now so people, see what you're missing and begin to show interest in the hope Capcom realizes we want it"

Update on my progress, I captured Lagiacrus Sub in 9:52! It was also the first time I attempted the quest so I'm quite thrilled to have done sub-10. He surprised me with some of his new attacks. He's so great because he stays on land (area 6 and 7) so no need to move the camera up and down to follow him.
I carved his tail after cutting it...and got his rare Sapphire, rofl. Not that I really need it right now though ^^; In addition of this, we get two cool videos for beating him (
the True Opening
and
the MH3G theme song sung by the blue-ish diva
)
So...yeah, I'll first upgrade some of my other Bracchidios weapons for now and then I'll do the next urgent village rank 9 quest, Deviljho in the volcano ;_;
What do you mean by
the True Opening
? Just curious - haven't unlocked this yet.

Got a question re: new moves/attacks

I realize the subspecies have new attacks but I remember hearing that G rank monsters also have new attacks. So Pink Rathian has different attacks from regular Rathian but G Rank Rathian does as well? Or does Pink Rathian = G Rank Rathian?

What do you mean by
the True Opening
? Just curious - haven't unlocked this yet.

From what I read it's something that also happened in other MHs. At the beginning you get
the opening of the game, and, when you beat it you get another opening video with additional bits in it. In this case, we get to see what happened between ChaCha and Kayamba for them to be in such a pinch before you rescue them and why they hate each other so much at the start

It was pretty fun.

Got a question re: new moves/attacks

I realize the subspecies have new attacks but I remember hearing that G rank monsters also have new attacks. So Pink Rathian has different attacks from regular Rathian but G Rank Rathian does as well? Or does Pink Rathian = G Rank Rathian?

I haven't hit G rank until now so I'm only 99% sure, but indeed the 3 share most of their moves, and they also have additional attacks the harder they get in difficulty. In the same sense, G rank normal Rathian should have modified moves not present in low/high rank normal Rathian.

edit : I'm now HR4, and very soon HR5, once I defeat Lagiacrus Sub one more time.

Tenbatsu

Azure Rathalos was kind of easy, 15mins to take down first try. The difficulty for Village Rank 8 and 9 is.... I don't know, easy?

Yeah, it's been a while since I failed a quest o_O
Every quest I tried in Village 8* and 9* plus Port 3*, 4*, 5* were won first try, with one death max (rare but generally due to locking me in place without any chances to heal up) and crazy fast too.
I think it's the first time in a MH where I feel like I'm actually pretty strong. Of course I only played a bit of MHFU, almost all solo of MH3 plus some in the port, almost all solo of MHP3rd(HD) plus a bit of the guild and now MH3G so I'm hardly a veteran.

I was always scared of double (or more) monster quests, but I'm here in high rank thinking that a lot of this is easy. Pretty scary if you ask me. However I love to see that I'm getting way better at MH than before :)

Now I'm in HR5 and already did all key quests except one, Deviljho in the Tundra...if I can pull it off I'll be able to fight Ceadeus Sub for a chance to go G rank. This'll be the first time I'll get so high up the ladder.
Deviljho is really the next stop for me both in Village quests and Port quests the only variable in this is the location of the fight, volcano or tundra.

edit : Yeah, G rank GET! I defeated Ceadeus Sub on the first try, in 23:08 after breaking his tail, but only one of his horns...though on the first carve I got his (rare 9) jewel! Something like Emperor Dragon Ball of the Abyss I guess (深淵の皇龍玉), and that's a very very good news.

edit 2 : holy sh*t, G rank is hard >_< Pink Rathian blew 3/4 of my life bar in one breath (during bite) attack...among other things :( I managed to capture and kill the two Aoashira but I think they got some moves changed so they surprised me a little. One was extra large (100% gold crown) and could attack much farther than the other.
So yeah, the new rule in G rank : you can't get hit or your lifebar is almost already gone >< I think I'll try to craft Selene X or Selene Z armor depending on my luck on G rank charms.

edit 3, on 02/14 : well I'm still at the same point in G rank, but I did almost all village quests, I'm just stuck on the arena quest because they hit like G rank monsters and thus I bite the dust in minutes. I'm still nowhere near my ideal Selene X/Z armor set because I'm focusing on getting Bracchidios jewels to upgrade the two weapons I have left (bow and hammer, total of 3 jewels to get)...however I'm getting tired of fighting him over and over again... -_-;

edit 4, a bit later than the previous one : omg I defeated Pink Rathian in G rank with a light bowgun, with 4:27 left on the clock, 2 deaths, and with a horrible "light left/right" deviation added because of the food (bullets can go either way...so irritating). So considering it's my first real fight with a LBG and the bad effect on my gun, I'm pretty pleased.

edit 5, the next day : bah, Rathian G rank is a joke compared to the subspecies, it's really the fire bite attack that makes all the difference for me.

Yeah I know, couldn't multi-post so had to edit a lot during those 5/6 days ^^

I've beaten some more monsters in G rank, such as Rangurotora*2+G.Jaggi*2, that was a total joke. Also did Qurupeco and Great Froggi*2...Quru is mostly the same as before but the fire flint attacks are much more quick...and Great Froggi you really need to get out of his way when he's in rage mode >_< You'd think he's on steroids during that phase :D I learned the hard way not to mess with him unless he's calm.

I'm almost finished with my Selene X/Z set (high grade earplugs, sharpness+1, evade+1, 50% less dizziness, or, if I change some pieces I can get high grade earplugs, sharpness+1, awaken, and something like destruction pro that makes parts of monsters brake more easily)
I'm also doing an Agna U set 'cause I really want to challenge Green Plesioth and be done with him as fast as possible and the two guard skills on that set are priceless.

I though I was doing great while still on High Rank but G rank is not for the weak, it put me back in my place ;)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Well, that's pretty much that for MH3rdP - just some tidying up to get the full 100% clear and a particular armour set/skill combo based around a Diablos U/S mix i want to try and we're done.

mhdc.JPG

SO now i can get my finger out on this and work on getting the wife on board. Only at the *3 village stuff and moving sloooooowly on MH3G.

john tv

Well, that's pretty much that for MH3rdP - just some tidying up to get the full 100% clear and a particular armour set/skill combo based around a Diablos U/S mix i want to try and we're done.

mhdc.JPG

SO now i can get my finger out on this and work on getting the wife on board. Only at the *3 village stuff and moving sloooooowly on MH3G.
Nice, how many hours? I stopped around 120 or so I think, but planning to go back someday. I miss that big, beautiful screen.

john tv

Anyone know what the best/most efficient way to get a Rathian Ruby is in MH3G? Particularly among village quests.

I got one from a Pink Rathian capture, so I've been trying that, but I'm getting tired of farming her. I need one more to complete my Rathian Heart set.

EDIT: Nevermind! Got another one two Pink Rathian captures later. :D

Couldn't play yesterday but I think I've redeemed myself today by completing my Agna U armor set and take it in G rank to capture Plesioth Sub and Doboruberuku Sub. Both were not really fast (between 30 and 40 min I think) but at least I didn't die on Plesioth Sub and only one time on Doboruberuku Sub -due to a Rangurotora sneaking on the battlefield and stomping me when I was facing the other way blocking other attacks-. Both were also completed on the first try.

Now I need to capture Barroth, Ice Barroth, Hapurubokka, Gigginox and the combo Barioth/Gigginox Sub to unlock the urgent. It really depends on how they all move in G rank but I guess I'll have the most trouble with the combo.
I see that I can survive at least now that I've done some quests so it's cool but it's also a real test for the nerves ^^

Tenbatsu

OMG at the design of the successor of Sigmund, &#12524;&#12483;&#12489;&#12494;&#12540;&#12488;(Red Note?)! Now that's a beauty.

Now I cannot decide which path to take, &#12506;&#12452;&#12523;&#12459;&#12452;&#12470;&#12540; or &#12524;&#12483;&#12489;&#12494;&#12540;&#12488; :/

It's a tough choice but if I used greatswords and went that path, I'd take &#12524;&#12483;&#12489;&#12494;&#12540;&#12488;. There's a little less raw damage but I think it's balanced with 10% more affinity, and if you can awaken it, you get a nice 500+ in fire. Now if only it was Dragon damage it would be even more awesome I guess.

Barroth, Ice Barroth, Gigginox are down, got only two quests left until urgent, Hapurubokka and Barioth/Gigginox Sub.

edit : well, they're down too so urgent unlocked, dual bracchidios in the tundra

edit 2 : &#12495;&#12531;&#12479;&#12540;&#12521;&#12531;&#12463;&#12364;7&#12395;&#12394;&#12426;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383; yay!

DCharlie

johntv said:
Nice, how many hours? I stopped around 120 or so I think, but planning to go back someday. I miss that big, beautiful screen.

about 240 hours or so in the end? Somewhat tardy i guess.

We've got our multiplayer strategy down to such a fine art over the years that we're a pretty well oiled machine lol. Bomb strategy is great and Elly has her sound-light-sound-light stunning and environment abuse+lightbomb stuff down to a fine art, plus she's a walking encyclopedia as far as the game goes.

We've not done the last bosses as a trio yet, only as either solo or duos. :)

I can see the Vita version being just 3rdPHD now which will be entirely pointless for me beyond partying with other people lol. I'm cursed that way :)

But yes - now onto MH3G in a bigger/better way - much better experience with the Nkyo power skin to give x3 battery life. No more "Whut?!" face when the battery light goes red. May even buy a second one for some upcoming long distance travel :D

john tv

Yikes at the bug that got reported/confirmed yesterday: http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/5896766.html
http://jin115.com/archives/51850168.html

Apparently if you trade rare commodities with the Argosy Captain to upgrade any of the hunting ships, the game bugs out and you can't get the Sword Saint or Barrage earrings after beating the hardest Arena quests. :eek:

I might be slightly misinterpreting that, but I think that's the gist of it.

Pretty horrible bug... Wonder if they can fix it somehow via DLC?

Well considering I've upgraded every boat a long time ago, I guess I'm screwed ?
It's not cool at all but at least I didn't plan on getting them so it won't make a difference I guess. Still, I hope it'll get fixed someday.

DCharlie

Yikes at the bug that got reported/confirmed yesterday: http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/5896766.html
http://jin115.com/archives/51850168.html

Apparently if you trade rare commodities with the Argosy Captain to upgrade any of the hunting ships, the game bugs out and you can't get the Sword Saint or Barrage earrings after beating the hardest Arena quests. :eek:

I might be slightly misinterpreting that, but I think that's the gist of it.

Pretty horrible bug... Wonder if they can fix it somehow via DLC?

Wife mentioned a lot of complaints about bugs from the hardcore japanese boards too. Disappearing corpses and some other oddities about drops and damage formulas (though quite how they can complain about the latter .... )

Though interestingly the main complaint seems to be the difficulty (funnily that it's too easy) but specifically the last boss which is apparently a push over (?).

I think hardcore fans though want the pain of earlier games which simply isn't going to happen. Hope that they can strike a good balance in MH4 or whatever comes next - i can't comment on MH3G, not played enough, so far it's straight forward but way too early to tell.

If the next game is the US/EU 3DS version , then if the iron out the bugs i'm guessing we'll see MH3G Append for japan with bug fixes and online added. Budget Price + MH4 demo nearer the end of the year.

I'm pretty sure Capcom will make damned sure, year on year, to have some sort of MH game in that year end slot seeing as it's an easy cash drop for Japan.

Tenbatsu

I feel the game's difficulty went down after the introduction of the new element. It was ok before that. And those multiple monsters quests (3 or more) from the PSP series are, I don't know, to let the player earn some quick bucks?

No comment on online yet, maybe InternHertz can shed some light.

No comment on online yet, maybe InternHertz can shed some light.

Low rank and High rank online are as easy as the village quests, the real difficulty comes with G rank, mostly because the monsters hit HARD so you can't get hit a lot without dying. I can be reckless as much as I want in LR/HR but once in a GR quest you need to step up your game.
Of course if you're good enough to not get hit, monsters still go down quite fast with upgraded (explosion) weapons.

edit 02/22 : two more G rank down, Barioth Sub and Uragaan. Next are Rathalos and Diablos to unlock the next new monster (I think it's Narga Sub)

edit 02/23 : diablos down, and I'm almost done with the blademaster armor sets (except [gun]lance) I want, I only need to craft a Selene X Mail that requires 5 (!) &#22823;&#22320;&#12398;&#40845;&#29577; from Jhen Mohran and I'll have 3 sets ready. After that I'll also need to upgrade a specific bow, upgrade my other Bracchi weapons -tedious because of the jewels or heavenly shells-, make a bow set (maybe bowgun too unless I go for the same bonuses), and a [gun]lance set.

edit 2 hours later : rathalos down and the rathalos/uragaan sub combo too, so just unlocked Nargacurga Sub. Excited to see what he's got.

edit somewhere between 02/24 and 02/25 : planned to do more but I only played for less than an hour and so I captured Narga Sub, thus unlocking all but one of the remaining key quests...the most notable being Jinouga Sub :)

Tenbatsu

Ok finally finished the village quest at 110hrs. Moving on to the port now.

Credits shows that this game is developed by 8ing @_@

john tv

Yap something like that. I seriously never expect MH3G to be an outsourced project.
Well, hopefully it means MH4 is further along than we all thought!

Every now and then I watch that MH4 concept video again in the gallery and maaaaaan I cannot wait to see more on that game. Gonna have to take a week off from work when it comes out, I think. :p

Yap something like that. I seriously never expect MH3G to be an outsourced project.

Well I assume that it was made in collaboration with someone from the Capcom MH team. Much like Nintendo uses external dev teams nowadays to do the grunt work on games but have a Nintendo dev overseeing the project e.g. the Zelda Ocarina 3DS game.

That would be my assumption anyway. Besides, they seem to have done a good job of it from what I read in this thread so I'm looking forward to its release in Yurop :).

Well, hopefully it means MH4 is further along than we all thought!

Every now and then I watch that MH4 concept video again in the gallery and maaaaaan I cannot wait to see more on that game. Gonna have to take a week off from work when it comes out, I think. :p

Am I right in thinking that it is coming this year? Or did I dream that?

john tv

Well I assume that it was made in collaboration with someone from the Capcom MH team. Much like Nintendo uses external dev teams nowadays to do the grunt work on games but have a Nintendo dev overseeing the project e.g. the Zelda Ocarina 3DS game.

That would be my assumption anyway. Besides, they seem to have done a good job of it from what I read in this thread so I'm looking forward to its release in Yurop :).

Am I right in thinking that it is coming this year? Or did I dream that?
They haven't said, but I'd guess 2013 myself.

ShinNL

MH3G being outsourced can either be bad or good. That could mean that Capcom is taking the 3DS seriously and putting the main focus on MH4, or it could mean that Capcom is not taking the 3DS seriously and rather focus their main work on something else.

I hope it's not the latter, because MH4's reveal trailer looked pretty bad IMO.

They haven't said, but I'd guess 2013 myself.

Well from a point of pure self interest I hope that you are right. It will take me many months to have my fill of MHTG once it is localised and released for Yurop. So I would rather cleanse my gaming palate before launching into MH4.

Oh and this time I will finish the game. I just hope that they use the same localisation team for this iteration of Tri because they did some very fine work on the Wii release.

=P

MH3G being outsourced can either be bad or good. That could mean that Capcom is taking the 3DS seriously and putting the main focus on MH4, or it could mean that Capcom is not taking the 3DS seriously and rather focus their main work on something else.

I hope it's not the latter, because MH4's reveal trailer looked pretty bad IMO.

What did you think was bad about the reveal trailer? Not challenging you; just curious.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've just played the demo and "wow" is all I have to say about the graphics. The 3D effect also looks great. Probably won't buy it, because I don't really like hunting games all that much, but wow, it's impressive.

fates

Well from a point of pure self interest I hope that you are right. It will take me many months to have my fill of MHTG once it is localised and released for Yurop. So I would rather cleanse my gaming palate before launching into MH4.

Don't see why they wouldn't since I'm sure a lot of the content will be reused.

On that note has there been any news on the localization front at all? ONM (Europe) seems to think it's going to come out in Europe, at least.

Don't see why they wouldn't since I'm sure a lot of the content will be reused.

On that note has there been any news on the localization front at all? ONM (Europe) seems to think it's going to come out in Europe, at least.

I believe it was posted that Edge stated that it would come out in the summer but I may be mistaken on the exact timing. I am not vexed about it as I have always been confident that it would be localised and released by NOE and NOA.

It's been a week since I last played the game...I was absorbed in some novels. Hoping to find the time to resume killing monsters soon.

I saw on a Japanese blog, quoting a 2ch thread, that a new bug/glitch has been found, enabling the use of other types of bullets using a Heavy Bowgun in Siege mode while in water. Normally you can't use Siege mode without water-use bullets but from what I gathered, if you change the type of bullets during the Siege mode animation while in water, you can actually choose another type (changing bullets doesn't work on land it seems but then again you don't need it).

I didn't dig out a lot in the thread cause I read quickly through it but if I find anything worthwhile I'll report it here too. It doesn't seem to be gamebreaking at all but expert hunters may now kill some monsters even quicker than before I guess.

fates

A Nintendo centered blog is reporting some European retailers having the game listed for release from mid-summer to September (similar to what ONM reported). That's... promising?

Tenbatsu

Finally made it to G quest, things are starting to get interesting. Before that it was very easy, might be the fact that I am using high rank offline weapons.

Top Bottom