• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

john tv

Plesioth was more annoying than hard - his running animation on land is laughable, and he took one of my lives with a turning water beam (didn't expect that one). He keeps changing areas for nothing (from 10 to 11 then ten seconds later he was back in 10...I wonder why he went there in the first place...) or he keeps alternating between land and water.
He won't make it in my most loved monsters list that's for sure.

Pink Rathian, at first I was surprised of her breath attack during the bite, the wide range of her aerial tail swipe and her hovering+ instant tail swipe. Once I learned those new moves, it was sort of alright. Seeing her limping made me sigh in relief though ^^

Electric Qurupeco as I like to call him wasn't hard at all alone, I only saw him blind me a few times, which was annoying. The real problem comes from Eviljho barging in the fight (didn't have dungbombs). He scares me =(
Had the exact same experience with Plesioth. Dude needs to chill out and stay put.

Pink Rathian was awesome - love the new moves, love the fact that she attacks while limping... That lateral version of the poison tail swipe is pretty lethal.

E/C Peco was a bit of a pain in the ass until I broke his wing...tip...conductor...things (green sharpness 780 atk hammer was still bouncing off). But whenever he calls Jho, I set the target cam to Jho and then just constantly position Peco between us. Deviljho often takes care of a lot of the Peco damage for me. :p

Ultratech

Had the exact same experience with Plesioth. Dude needs to chill out and stay put.

E/C Peco was a bit of a pain in the ass until I broke his wing...tip...conductor...things (green sharpness 780 atk hammer was still bouncing off). But whenever he calls Jho, I set the target cam to Jho and then just constantly position Peco between us. Deviljho often takes care of a lot of the Peco damage for me. :p

I guess Plesi's just as annoying as ever, huh?

Electric Peco sounds similar to Gypceros in how it has some of its moves. (Flashing, Spit)

I was fixing to say, Jho probably goes after Peco after a while (getting hungry).
Speaking of Jho...Hungry Jho (The "G-Rank" Jho) looks scary as hell.

Tenbatsu

Plesioth most annoying move is the tail spin, I so hate that move.

My weapons are all upgraded and ready to upgrade to Bracchidios's. I am collecting them all :3

john tv

Plesioth most annoying move is the tail spin, I so hate that move.

My weapons are all upgraded and ready to upgrade to Bracchidios's. I am collecting them all :3

Ten - do you have a favorite 攻略 site or wiki that you use? I want to put some effort into weapons, but I want to be efficient about it.

Using the same wiki myself, plus this one too when somehow I can't find the info I want.

Tried Ice Barroth last night to see his moves, and definitely, his most annoying/cheap move is the homing U-turn charge >_< damn you Barroth, tonight you're going down! (hopefully)

john tv

Cool, thanks for the wiki links.

Using the same wiki myself, plus this one too when somehow I can't find the info I want.

Tried Ice Barroth last night to see his moves, and definitely, his most annoying/cheap move is the homing U-turn charge >_< damn you Barroth, tonight you're going down! (hopefully)
I took him out earlier today, along with dual Urukususu and Great Baggi. Next up is Gigginox subspecies, I guess. Even tho I can't stand fighting Gigginox...

MH3G's my first Monster Hunter game. 37 hours in and I'm really loving it! I think playing a lot of Dark Souls set me in good stead for the battle system.

I started out with the greatswords, but didn't like how slow they were. Switched to the longsword and haven't looked back. Right now I'm rocking a chainsaw which does electric damage and I've been wrecking shit left, right and centre with it all weekend. Today I focussed on port quests and got through the following:
Gobul X
Royal Ludroth X
Dosufurogi XXXX (getting the armour set)
Rathian X
...and I chased off Lagiacrus for the village.

Hardest monster so far was Rathian. That was pretty rough until I made the Furogi armour set, and then once I had the set, I managed to capture it first time.

So far I'm towards the end of village &#9733;4 and I just need to do the urgent quest to get to the &#9733;2 port quests. It's incredible how much depth there is to this game - I'm never going to have time to check out all the different weapons.

^That's awesome! I just got my 3DS yesterday so I'm still fairly early in the game. Right now I'm rocking a jaggi set for the attack up buff and am trying to make a better long sword.

Rathian is pretty tough at first and she is rather intimidating too when you first see her. My first Rathian in Freedom Unite scared and killed me pretty fast. I killed her maybe once before I stopped playing FU but eventually got used to her in Tri. Once you get her attack pattern down she'll be cake ( you can say that about any monster though ). I love using a hammer on her. Sounds cruel I know. :p

Is anyone buying the official guide? I'm guessing it's not worth it since you can eventually get all the info online for free. It looks pretty nice though.

I took him out earlier today, along with dual Urukususu and Great Baggi. Next up is Gigginox subspecies, I guess. Even tho I can't stand fighting Gigginox...

I took him out earlier too! When I went back to Moga Village, the music was gone, and when I saved on the bed...nothing happened...my character was sleeping but no save dialog and impossible to wake up. And because I don't save directly after a quest, I thought I lost my Ice Barroth kill :(
I was really really upset, but after a restart, I found out that the game saved after all...damn that was close -_-

I'm going after Electric Gigginox too, just need to craft a suitable water lance, and for that I need funds first. I don't like him either, and from what I gathered, his subspecies seems to borrow from Khezu...and I loathe that guy >_<

fr4nz

Ceadeus repelled (with a nice CG movie as reward) :)
50 hours in until now, almost only village quests (I'm HR2). I've played about 15hrs with the frankenstick and came to the same conclusions as DCharlie ... Second analog is not mandatory for this game. I think I'll keep playing without it, with a good touch screen configuration and the digital pad, it makes the job.

I've payed the mountain stream and encounter a lot of bad frame drop :/ and another thing that bugs me, it's the shadow that "appears"/pop-up on the monsters as you approach them ... I find that really disturbing .

Heh, didn't get framerate drops so far I must say.

I've just completed the Naval Horn lance from Ceadeus and wanted to gauge Electric Gigginox plus see his moves...
GOD PLEASE HELP ME ;_; He's just so damn ANNOYING! His poison version is much more manageable. He's got an electric field attack (like Lagiacrus) and it goes right through my guard, dealing lots of damage + paralyzing me. The range isn't that great but because I'm turtling right next to him, I've got no time to pull back before he unleashes it. I spent a lot in that lance and I'm thinking that it was a bit wasted, my previous Gigginox strategy doesn't work at all anymore =( I'll need to find another weapon to fight him I guess.

And so I suffered a terrible defeat, it made me angry and so I'm done for the day ^^; 49:08 in.

I've payed the mountain stream and encounter a lot of bad frame drop :/ and another thing that bugs me, it's the shadow that "appears"/pop-up on the monsters as you approach them ... I find that really disturbing .

I've had framerate drops in some areas of Island but I was happy that it's not bad enough to ruin the flow of the game.

john tv

Electric Giggi is a major league pain in the ass. Ugh. Had him almost gone with less than 5 mins left when he finally finished me off.

Electric Gigginox down, at my second try and in 25m55 (first was yesterday), now the most annoying thing he has, is the yelling...he's using it too much.
I find him really easy with a longsword (using the one given to us by the fisherman)

Urgent quest unlocked, Rathalos on the Island area (Take back the best mask!). The quest has a unique condition, you must bring chacha and kayamba with you.

edit : and Rathalos dead, 8* quests unlocked and most importantly, Bracchidios!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PQ4d6caC4

I've been watching the fight with Dark Jinouga at the Tundra and HOLY FUCK!

This thing is mad crazy, and wow at the shadowing on the models and the dynamic shadows underneath really add to the visuals, and is it just me, or is the snow blowing effect better than in Tri?

I cannot believe that we have graphics like this in the palm of our hand!

I mean, going by Nintendo's history, I always assumed that the DS' successor would be GC in power. But nope, Nintendo nearly went one gen further, this to me is the Wii plus PS360 shaders, with some compromises with the textures (and poly counts?).

If people say the 3DS is weak in power, I say shove this game in their face. I now honestly say this is better looking than Revelations, as when I played the demo, it didn't impress me as much as I thought it would, I'm not too sure why. Maybe the look and feel didn't jive with me, plus perhaps I didn't see the best the game had to offer visually?

Tenbatsu

Electric Giggi is a major league pain in the ass. Ugh. Had him almost gone with less than 5 mins left when he finally finished me off.
The normal high rank Giggi is more deadly IMO with its super poison. The rate that your life is depleting is scary.

Woohoo, I killed Bracchidios at my second attempt. I was pleasantly surprised that, even though he's a Brute Wyvern like Barroth or Uragaan, I could slice him with my green sharpness longsword almost everywhere...that is, if it's not the tip of his tail (from behind or the side) or the very center of his face (in front of him).

So yeah, now I got to get better and faster at fighting him so I can craft cool weapons ^^ At least the materials seem easy to obtain.

Tenbatsu

Just got myself a Bracchidios Axe and OMG the weapon is brutal! The new element kicks ass with the Bomber Skill! Now I really have to collect em all!

I'm up to high rank village quests now, mainly using long sword and hammer once in awhile. Bracchi looks like fun but am also excited for Pink Ian and Azure Los.

Just got myself a Bracchidios Axe and OMG the weapon is brutal! The new element kicks ass with the Bomber Skill! Now I really have to collect em all!

Yeah almost all (the faster the better I guess) Bracchidios weapons seem to be awesome for taking down most monsters. I definitely want to make 6-8 different types, for different strategies. I'll have to farm this guy like there's no tomorrow. I'm beginning to get his attack pattern but it's still far from perfect (2 kills only for now), most problems come up with his rage mode...and he's easily angered.

And I got myself to HR3 in the Port, I wanted to try a certain DL quest that was said to be bugged (at least up until January 4th it was still bugged, Kouli states the quest was fixed sometime after that so new downloads make this bug impossible to reproduce).
The basic thing about this is that in less than 70 seconds (1 minute waiting time and 10 seconds of "real" questing) you can finish the quest without doing anything, get the rewards and the money (21k).
I just wanted to see if it worked and I won't use it anymore I guess - I don't even like the weapons I can craft with it, they are Great Swords and I suck at them anyway.

Tenbatsu

Yeah almost all (the faster the better I guess) Bracchidios weapons seem to be awesome for taking down most monsters. I definitely want to make 6-8 different types, for different strategies. I'll have to farm this guy like there's no tomorrow. I'm beginning to get his attack pattern but it's still far from perfect (2 kills only for now), most problems come up with his rage mode...and he's easily angered.
Bracchidios is easier to take down with faster weapons like the Long Sword or S&S imo. Defeated it 3 times and got 2 rubies :3

Bracchidios is easier to take down with faster weapons like the Long Sword or S&S imo. Defeated it 3 times and got 2 rubies :3

I'm using a longsword when fighting him yeah.
I got 2 rubies in my third fight 2 hours ago, one from carving, and another from rewards :) What I really need now are the rewards for breaking his fists and face (&#21083;&#25331;), only got one of those so far even though I break them every time. I have materials for crafting one weapon so far that is not GS, SnS, Lance or Gunlance 'cause they need 2 &#21083;&#25331;.

But I'll first try to see if it's easier to upgrade to his weapons, or craft them directly. I know the Longsword and Hunting Horn can't be obtained from upgrading, but all 10 other types can.

john tv

And I got myself to HR3 in the Port, I wanted to try a certain DL quest that was said to be bugged (at least up until January 4th it was still bugged, Kouli states the quest was fixed sometime after that so new downloads make this bug impossible to reproduce).
The basic thing about this is that in less than 70 seconds (1 minute waiting time and 10 seconds of "real" questing) you can finish the quest without doing anything, get the rewards and the money (21k).
Which quest is it, exactly? Curious to check this out.

Which quest is it, exactly? Curious to check this out.

It's the HR3 event quest &#12493;&#12462;&#12414;&#65281;&#12539;&#20941;&#12427;&#19990;&#30028;&#12398;&#21560;&#34880;&#39740;
You need to 1) go to the ONLINE port, 2) pay a meal made from wine and fish and hope the &#12493;&#12467;&#12398;&#25163;&#37197;&#19978;&#25163; skill procs and 3) take a Farcaster to teleport to base when you begin the quest.
Look into the box and the ticket is there for you to turn in.
Done. It's not really pretty to win this way though ;)

john tv

It's the HR3 event quest &#12493;&#12462;&#12414;&#65281;&#12539;&#20941;&#12427;&#19990;&#30028;&#12398;&#21560;&#34880;&#39740;
You need to 1) go to the ONLINE port, 2) pay a meal made from wine and fish and hope the &#12493;&#12467;&#12398;&#25163;&#37197;&#19978;&#25163; skill procs and 3) take a Farcaster to teleport to base when you begin the quest.
Hah, nice!

Tenbatsu

That's cool! Let me go try. Ho wait, am not even HR3 Zzzzz....

90 hrs and still stuck in the village.

Got 4 types of Bracchi weapons for now (Longsword, Switch Axe, S&S, Lance) and 2 more soon completed (Bow, Hammer). I guess I'll still do a gunlance after that but I still don't know if dual swords are worth it or not, I don't use them that much although you look cool when using them.

I don't like the greatsword -I suck at using them- so I'll pass on this one (a higher raw power GS is probably better anyway). As for light and heavy bowguns, I prefer mastering the bow instead so I don't think I'll craft them.

Right now I'm testing all those magnificent weapons in Low Rank quests, I'm going back to every quest I skipped to advance in ranks or stars. Village done for now, so turning to the Port quests. I'll earn a bunch of zenny in the process too.

Almost 74 hours playtime.

28 hours in so far, almost done with 6 star village quests but have not touched any port quests yet. I love how you can do a high rank version of Moga Woods and fight subspecies with no worry.

I'm doing that 5 Qurupeco + Jho quest at the moment, Jho is the best partner you can have!

Tenbatsu

I made around 100k or so today doing this a few times. :p
Ain't You Got No Shame? :p

Got 4 types of Bracchi weapons for now (Longsword, Switch Axe, S&S, Lance) and 2 more soon completed (Bow, Hammer). I guess I'll still do a gunlance after that but I still don't know if dual swords are worth it or not, I don't use them that much although you look cool when using them.

I don't like the greatsword -I suck at using them- so I'll pass on this one (a higher raw power GS is probably better anyway). As for light and heavy bowguns, I prefer mastering the bow instead so I don't think I'll craft them.

Right now I'm testing all those magnificent weapons in Low Rank quests, I'm going back to every quest I skipped to advance in ranks or stars. Village done for now, so turning to the Port quests. I'll earn a bunch of zenny in the process too.

Almost 74 hours playtime.
Got myself the Axe and the Lance and frankly speaking, I think Bracchi weapons are way overpowered at the current stage. Took down high rank Barioth in under 10mins with Bracchi Axe. Overall, monsters take down time is now cut down by almost 10mins~.

The explosion is overpowered too, breaking almost any part with just one explosion. Hope this is not the case for online port quests.

Got stuck on Lagiacrus, so I haven't been able to start the &#9733;5 village quests yet. Decided to cool off by farming other monsters for equipment. 11 dead Rathians later, and I'm now rocking the Rathian armour set. It's weak to lightning, so I'll still need something else to fight Lagiacrus, but it does look pretty awesome:
RQAGq.png

Only thing I have that's strong against lightning is the Bnahabra set, so I guess I'll be fighting Lagi as a goth. Need something else to farm though, Rathians fit perfectly into my commute to/from work.

Got myself the Axe and the Lance and frankly speaking, I think Bracchi weapons are way overpowered at the current stage. Took down high rank Barioth in under 10mins with Bracchi Axe. Overall, monsters take down time is now cut down by almost 10mins~.

The explosion is overpowered too, breaking almost any part with just one explosion. Hope this is not the case for online port quests.

I don't care at all frankly, the faster I kill them the less chances there will be for me to die while fighting them ;)

As for the event quest bug...I don't know, in a sense it's not as if you actually cheat or do something "illegal" to earn very easy cash and rewards, but it was clearly not intended to happen. So my stance on this is not very clear, not totally against it and not totally for it either.

slight edit some time after : 5th Bracchidios weapon crafted, and thinking about farming Uragaan to make at least the gunner armor set

Tenbatsu

Haha, farm all you want guys, am only joking.

Not sure if my game is bugged as I am unable to capture any monsters now. Failed both my capture with Bracchi and Barioth. What the hell.

Up to 9* village quests just farming Azure Rathalos a bit. I need one more ruby to complete my Azure Rath suit but it'll probably take me awhile.

Bracchi was a lot of fun and managed to get his LS and hammer. I'm having a ton of fun with 3g. :)

I'm farming Uragaan and Rathalos to get the rare Uragaan ruby I need to finish my Uragaan S gunner set. Rathalos I only need 1 more of his rare scale thing to be able to upgrade my Hammer to the step before Bracchi's hammer. I need to break both heads, cut both tails and capture both of them too to maximize my chances to get what I want but of course when you actually want something, it doesn't drop ^^

But what I decided also, was to try and see how Deviljho is in a real fight, and fought him during the quest he is introduced in. I managed to capture him, trying to kill him would have been difficult considering my potion supplies were running low :x The funny thing is that I laid down a shock trap to immobilize him and weaken him, and after only one hit while trapped, he went into capture-ready state so I hurried up because I was scared he would free himself, and I succeeded.
It was hard, he's scary and keeps biting me or launching me in the air :( But I got his tail haha! Of course the quest rewards had some of his loot in it but not that much as he was only an extra.

I really would like Azure Rathalos' blademaster armor set next (already got the two rubies I need in one quest as I said in an earlier post)...but only after I first finish my Uragaan/Rathalos farming and kill/capture Village 8* Agnaktor, Doboruberuku, Lagiacrus and urgent Jinouga of course ^^;

john tv

As someone who has almost exclusively played hammers my entire MH run (plus a little switch axe), what would be a good second choice weapon for tail cutting? Is there a "best" weapon for cutting tails?

I think it depends on the armor of the monster and the sharpness of your weapon.
Should you have purple sharpness for example, anything with cutting damage works I guess.

I'll assume you don't though (G rank skill) so it depends on the monster. The longsword is really easy to use with a great upper arc but may bounce too much when low sharpness level meets hard armor (not during soul attacks but the tail has to be more or less low in order to be effective).
If you can use it well, I think the greatsword is the best choice...it isn't for me - I can't use the charge attack well enough.
Otherwise the sword mode of the switch axe is quite nice as it won't bounce but you still have to be careful with quick enemies.

I'm not an expert but for the monsters I managed to fight against, there are only a couple I'd say for which I didn't cut the tail once yet. And I'm using the longsword most of the time.

Tenbatsu

As someone who has almost exclusively played hammers my entire MH run (plus a little switch axe), what would be a good second choice weapon for tail cutting? Is there a "best" weapon for cutting tails?
Axe, due to the long reach of the upwards slash in axe mode and as per what InternHertz mentioned above.

The other will be the G.Sword, you can't go wrong with a weapon since the original MH. :3

P.S. Is this thread bugged or something? It doesn't get push to the first page.

Man, I really hate how you have to turn the Circle Pad Pro on/off from the title screen. I got a session going with some friends to beat Lagiacrus and get to HR2, only to realise once we'd started the quest that it wasn't connected. It was painful fighting underwater without it, and I'd already removed the pseudo-dpad from the touch screen. Plus, I didn't want to hold everyone up by restarting the game and starting the whole procedure all over again... orz

Still managed to capture the bugger though. Now I can get materials for fire-element weapons and stand a better chance against him in the village quests. My last attempt, I ran out of time and I'm sure I was really close, so maybe my damage output is part of the problem.

Edit: Holy shit. Just managed to beat him solo, finally - using the Hunting Horn for the very first time. (I always use longswords.)
Didn't see that coming. I didn't really prepare much as I was only giving the Hunting Horn a demo!

Well today after 2 Uragaan and no luck on the ruby front, I was a little bored of this so I killed Lagiacrus, Agnaktor, Doboruberuku and Jinouga and advanced to Village Rank 9.
And as always, when you don't want something it drops, got Jinouga's jewel on my first try :s Why can't Uragaan give his one up :(

So yeah tomorrow back to Uragaan farming.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Electric Giggi is a major league pain in the ass. Ugh

Seriously, I hate Giggi in any form but i am not looking forward to fighting it again in 3G.

such a pain in the arse to solo when you first get to it.

Tenbatsu

Well today after 2 Uragaan and no luck on the ruby front, I was a little bored of this so I killed Lagiacrus, Agnaktor, Doboruberuku and Jinouga and advanced to Village Rank 9.
And as always, when you don't want something it drops, got Jinouga's jewel on my first try :s Why can't Uragaan give his one up :(

Actually the drops/rewards are pretty generous this time round as compared to Tri.

What the, Bracchi S&S is dam powerful! It's been a while since a S&S that's this deadly.

Also I hate those PSP multiple monsters quest, they are way too easy and am not sure why they include them in MH3G.

I know your pain. After 20+ Bracchi's I finally got my jewel to upgrade my long sword. It sucks that I need about 4 more. :\

On a brighter note I have about 5 rathalos plates, 3 rubies and 2 rathian rubies. That's something. :p

Top Bottom