• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

Luigiv

But is that not the same case as when mhtri came out in the west.. it was Pay to play online in Japan and because of the "lack of popularity" became free to play for the west? It doesn't seem like it has harmed the series in japanese gamers minds because of that...

Uh, they did the exact same shit with MH1 back on the PS2. From what I can tell, it didn't seem to affect the series popularity with subsequent releases.

Anyway, trolling aside, if Capcom were smart they'd not only add online to the Western release, they'd also patch it into the Japanese version and use international servers.

Personally I think they should use just use Nintendo's severs just like they do with all their other 3DS games. That way they can use the system's inbuilt friends list too (though I figure they may need to have a separate hunters list that lets you import hunters from registered system friends as well as the ability to add randoms). The only thing that could be an issue with that would be Nintendo's policy on chatting with randoms but I think Capcom has enough political power to twist Nintendo's arm a bit and get the policy revised.

Uh, they did the exact same shit with MH1 back on the PS2. From what I can tell, it didn't seem to affect the series popularity with subsequent releases.

Anyway, trolling aside, if Capcom were smart they'd not only add online to the Western release, they'd also patch it into the Japanese version and use international servers.

Personally I think they should use just use Nintendo's severs just like they do with all their other 3DS games. That way they can use the system's inbuilt friends list too (though I figure they may need to have a separate hunters list that lets you import hunters from registered system friends as well as the ability to add randoms). The only thing that could be an issue with that would be Nintendo's policy on chatting with randoms but I think Capcom has enough political power to twist Nintendo's arm a bit and get the policy revised.

I think every fan of the series wants some form of internet connectivity in the west. I think maybe because most of the games come out on handhelds gave capcom an excuse in holding off implementing a genuine online structure.

Even if it meant using the same system for mh3g as what we have for tri it would be a welcome addition

Tenbatsu

nfgQn.jpg

Avenged. Proceeding to Village Star 7.

For those who have no friends to play this game with, Offline is ample to keep you busy. 60 hours in and I have yet to finish the village quests.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I think that all the good luck I had in Portable 3rd has not transferred over to Tri G at all. lol

I was able to get a complete Jinogre armor set after only 3 hunts, but now in Tri G I'm trying to get high rank Aoashira armor and I'm having the hardest time getting anything that I need to complete it. :/

john tv

I think that all the good luck I had in Portable 3rd has not transferred over to Tri G at all. lol

I was able to get a complete Jinogre armor set after only 3 hunts, but now in Tri G I'm trying to get high rank Aoashira armor and I'm having the hardest time getting anything that I need to complete it. :/
I'm almost done with a high-rank Jaggi set. Jaggi is kinda ghetto, but I realized I had to start with some sort of high-rank set to even survive this shit, so Jaggi it is. From there I'll probably move to Peco again (Wide-Range FTW) and then keep moving on up the ladder (Silver Rathalos definitely next in my sights!).

Was there criticism from the MH fraternity that Portable 3rd was too easy? If so then perhaps they tweaked the relevant programming to make this harder?

I'm really looking forward to the inevitable PAL release :D. I put a ridiculous amount of hours into Tri purely in single player [it was my first MH] so I am really looking forward to putting that experience into play with a fresh start on this game.

I learnt so much of what to do/what not to do by trial and error so I am really anticipating making good use of that and starting off on the right foot this time. For example, get used to all the different weapon types early on and not after you have too much muscle memory to easily switch :/.

Yes I could have used an online guide but I much prefer now to find things out for myself than use a guide to rush through a game to get on to the next one in my backlog. It just makes it more enjoyable :).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Was there criticism from the MH fraternity that Portable 3rd was too easy? If so then perhaps they tweaked the relevant programming to make this harder?

According to the wife (i've not read any of the MH boards) the main complaint against MH3G -from japanese players- is it is.... too easy. I guess a lot of the die hard MH fans want to see MH1 smackdowns come back lol.

I'm not too far in so i can't really comment on MH3G, so far i'm finding it just feels like MH3rD/Tri in that it was more of a grind at the start. It's not MH1 levels of pain.

I learnt so much of what to do/what not to do by trial and error

the most fun you'll have in any game ever basically. Monster Hunter is built for experimentation and yout fun goes through the roof when you are in this mindset. Hats off to you.

According to the wife (i've not read any of the MH boards) the main complaint against MH3G is it is.... too easy. I guess a lot of the die hard MH fans want to see MH1 smackdowns come back lol

I'm not too far in so i can't really comment on MH3G, so far i'm finding it just feels like MH3rD/Tri in that it was more of a grind at the start. It's not MH1 levels of pain.

Hm, well I think you will find that that is irrefutable proof for my theory then! :p

Good luck/enjoy the rest of the game :).

the most fun you'll have in any game ever basically. Monster Hunter is built for experimentation and yout fun goes through the roof when you are in this mindset. Hats off to you.

Well thank you and I agree :). I knew very little about MH games before playing Tri. From what I did know though it all sounded a bit too much like hard work for my tastes. However, I suddenly got the urge to play it not long after its PAL release so I decided to trust my instincts and give it a shot. Over 200 hours later purely in single player in pretty much constant play every evening for weeks, I think you could say that I was right to do so :). I never even finished the game but in my mind it's now one of my 'regular' game series that I will automatically pick up a new release of, like a mainline Mario or Zelda already is for me.

DCharlie

well, a lot of us have moaned that the game has gotten significantly easier since it started and i'm hoping MH3G is a step in the right direction. I personally found Tri everybit the same experience as MH3rdG in terms of when it was hard and when it wasn't (though i haven't completed (all monsters including ancients) either though MH3rdG were down to two monsters to kill)

the game -had- to be rebalanced though - the market they were looking for was literally a BRING EVERYONE IN approach. Give those people MH1 and they'd be quickly frustrated at getting their arse handed to them on a platter over and over and over.

And glad to hear MH is going to be a regular series for you :D Welcome aboard. I sort of "fell off" MH with Tri and i got about 140 hours into MH2G but was just left a bit MH'ed out after MH1,MHG,MHDos,MHP, MHP2.... but MH3rdP really brought me back into it and now it's definitely one of my "series" possibly my most favourite one and in hours played easily out in front :D

Excited for MH4 too - can't wait to get myself into something truly new. :)

well, a lot of us have moaned that the game has gotten significantly easier since it started and i'm hoping MH3G is a step in the right direction. I personally found Tri everybit the same experience as MH3rdG in terms of when it was hard and when it wasn't (though i haven't completed (all monsters including ancients) either though MH3rdG were down to two monsters to kill)

Well I can understand that. I generally find recent Mario and Zelda games to be set at a difficulty level that is lower than I would wish for and I am by no means great at them; I've just played a lot of them. They do seem to be being made deliberately easier so as not to put off newcomers. I am not sure how they equate that with how the original games were hardly a cakewalk and frankly would be considered bloody hard by many people nowadays. Perhaps Nintendo should play some of their older games and remind themselves that even mainstream people i.e. not obsessive game nerds :p, do like a certain degree of challenge.

So I understand your frustration and hope both our gaming challenge needs may be met somehow. I certainly do not envy game developers with their conundrum of how best to satisfy all players with respect to difficulty level.

the game -had- to be rebalanced though - the market they were looking for was literally a BRING EVERYONE IN approach. Give those people MH1 and they'd be quickly frustrated at getting their arse handed to them on a platter over and over and over.

Indeed; I am not sure I would have made it very far in the original MH if it was as merciless as you are hinting at :). Tri got it just about right for me. I found it very tough to start with but once I started to get my head around how the game worked it sunk its claws into me and I really started to enjoy the challenge. Given how I am not generally someone who needs a punishing difficulty level in order to enjoy the game, I think it is a testament to how well the game was crafted to so successfully hook me into playing a game with a difficulty level and requirement for time and effort that I would not normally consider going anywhere near.

And glad to hear MH is going to be a regular series for you :D Welcome aboard. I sort of "fell off" MH with Tri and i got about 140 hours into MH2G but was just left a bit MH'ed out after MH1,MHG,MHDos,MHP, MHP2.... but MH3rdP really brought me back into it and now it's definitely one of my "series" possibly my most favourite one and in hours played easily out in front :D

Excited for MH4 too - can't wait to get myself into something truly new. :)

I can imagine :). I am looking forward to replaying Tri on 3DS and hopefully completing it this time. I hope there is a reasonable gap between that and MH4 as I don't think I would want to go straight from the former to the latter. My gaming palate needs cleansing after all :).

Tenbatsu

For those interested, this is my digital dpad setup without using the slide pad. I narrow it so that I am able to reach the left of the dpad with minimum effort.
Aq05j.jpg

DCharlie: Yap, no Monster Hunter game is harder than MH or MHG or even MH2 Dos. That's why the first two remained my favorite in the series :)

Tri was the most balanced thou and the amount of time I spent on Tri was insane, over 1800 hours :O

DCharlie

Tri was the most balanced thou and the amount of time I spent on Tri was insane, over 1800 hours :O

lol - jesus. Did you bother eating?! ;)

Even crazier is that by Japanese crazy standards, that's the low end. Some of these people seriously can't be doing anything but playing MH.

For those interested, this is my digital dpad setup without using the slide pad. I narrow it so that I am able to reach the left of the dpad with minimum effort.
Aq05j.jpg

DCharlie: Yap, no Monster Hunter game is harder than MH or MHG or even MH2 Dos. That's why the first two remained my favorite in the series :)

Yeah, this d-pad is the way to do it. I've transitioned away from the frankenstick recently, and it hasn't been too bad.

ShinNL

I've only played MHF1 (MHP), MHF2 (MHP2), MHFU (MHP2G) and MHTri. I don't know about the PS2 console versions, but MHF2 and MHF2G were way easier than MHF1 and MHTri. Tri is well balanced and returns to giving players some challenge, MHF1 was often times unfairly hard. When I heard that MHP3rd was easy, I assumed it was comparable to MHP2G so my interest was lost (I played the heck out of them but it just lacked the challenge aspect, it was a lot more grindy). When people like Tenbatsu and John TV say it's Tri difficulty in Tri G, I was glad that there was no dumb down report.

Maybe for you DCharlie the difference isn't noticeable since you played the PS2 versions (and I've heard those versions have cruel difficulties), so everything else already seems 'kinda easy' for you. But for me, I generally had more fun with MHF1 (less monsters) than MHF2 or MHFU: I spend the same amount of time playing those games (500+ hours each game). Without the difficulty I didn't play for the challenge but for the gear.

DCharlie

Maybe for you DCharlie the difference isn't noticeable since you played the PS2 versions (and I've heard those versions have cruel difficulties), so everything else already seems 'kinda easy' for you. But for me, I generally had more fun with MHF1 (less monsters) than MHF2 or MHFU: I spend the same amount of time playing those games (500+ hours each game). Without the difficulty I didn't play for the challenge but for the gear.

it's hard to guage really - i didn't think Tri was that difficult but i get the feeling people go back in to MH and forget what the early stages are like.

Again - i'm nowhere near qualified to talk on TriG yet becuase i simply haven't played enough to even comment. Hope to remedy that soon!

ONM also said Autumn for Europe a couple of months ago. Guessing we'll have to wait for either GDC or E3 for official word from the mothership (if it even ends up coming out).

fates

I thought the ONM piece was declared to be nothing but speculation on their part. Guessing it's the same for Edge. I guess they can't think that Capcom could be so stupid as to pass this up.

... little do they know....

DCharlie

Hold on - 951 hours?!

Game has been out 42 days

That's 22.5 hours of play a day from now until today.

lol - Japanese people.

That pic is crazy but awesome too.

I told myself I wouldn't do it but I'll be playing some 3g this week! Pretty excited for it to be honest. :)

Zenaku

The person that posted that pic claimed to have left the game on the entire time, seemingly without using sleep mode (At least, not often).

I could never do that; I like having game time clocks reflect the actual amount of time I've played. I think I'm at about 47 hours for 3G at the moment.

Damn, I only got 2 of them (Lagiacrus and Ceadeus repelled).
Then again I'm only just beginning High Rank in ~27 hours.

It's a shame there's no online though. There isn't anyone with MH3G around me so I can't play locally :(
If only there was some kind of community in my city where hunters gather daily/weekly, that would make me happy. At one time I should get to G-rank gear that I won't be able to acquire because of the lack of online. Makes me sad :'(

Ultratech

Someone in Japan got every award in MH3G. Took them 951 hours. :D

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/6/2/62a6666d.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I guess that makes them the King of MH3G?

I mean...damn. That means they did pretty much everything you could do in 3G.
That's just ridiculous.

I'm curious if anyone can tell me how the game controls compared to PSP claw method? How is it with the Circle Pad attachment?

Thanks and sorry for the bump!

Tenbatsu

I'm curious if anyone can tell me how the game controls compared to PSP claw method? How is it with the Circle Pad attachment?

Thanks and sorry for the bump!
Touch screen camera is much more comfortable than the claw after getting used to it. You are able to customize the size and shape of the touch screen dpad too.

With the circle pad, the right slide pad will be use for camera panning. You are also able to set ZL and ZR to pan the camera, or for dashing.

Touch screen camera is much more comfortable than the claw after getting used to it. You are able to customize the size and shape of the touch screen dpad too.

With the circle pad, the right slide pad will be use for camera panning. You are also able to set ZL and ZR to pan the camera, or for dashing.

Thanks. I have the game and slide pad now but waiting on my 3DS to ship.

Tenbatsu

Failed another mission: Jhen Moran, god dam it that dude is dam fast now and some of its attack pattern seems to differ. It destroyed my ship in 22 mins.

^Doh! Is Jhen a Village Quest in this game like P3rd?

The more videos I watch of 3G the more hyped I get. Will have my 3DS tomorrow though. :)

Tenbatsu

^Doh! Is Jhen a Village Quest in this game like P3rd?

The more videos I watch of 3G the more hyped I get. Will have my 3DS tomorrow though. :)
High rank village quest. Jhen in MHP3rd is shit seriously....

Anw there are plenty of bugs in MH3G unlike Tri. A few bugs that I encountered:
- Unable to rest at base camp during one of the mission
- Lagi getting stuck underwater

High rank village quest. Jhen in MHP3rd is shit seriously....

Anw there are plenty of bugs in MH3G unlike Tri. A few bugs that I encountered:
- Unable to rest at base camp during one of the mission
- Lagi getting stuck underwater

I remember my first Jhen fight in P3rd and was shocked how my cats and I raped him. Even in High Rank quests he is gimped. It sounds like he returns to his former glory in 3G and I can only imagine what his subspecies is like.

Ack @ bugs though. I'm guessing a stuck lagi is not as funny as it sounds? Poor thing..

john tv

I remember my first Jhen fight in P3rd and was shocked how my cats and I raped him. Even in High Rank quests he is gimped. It sounds like he returns to his former glory in 3G and I can only imagine what his subspecies is like.

Ack @ bugs though. I'm guessing a stuck lagi is not as funny as it sounds? Poor thing..
Jhen is a joke in MHP3. I really don't get it - I'd love to ask the director what the thinking was behind the mass gimping that game got. Wider audience? Complaints about MHFU? Or maybe just trying to differentiate portable difficulty from console difficulty? (Tho that no longer really applies with 3G.) Cause otherwise the game was pretty great IMO.

Jhen is a joke in MHP3. I really don't get it - I'd love to ask the director what the thinking was behind the mass gimping that game got. Wider audience? Complaints about MHFU? Or maybe just trying to differentiate portable difficulty from console difficulty? (Tho that no longer really applies with 3G.) Cause otherwise the game was pretty great IMO.

You're totally right about Jhen, in fact, this conversation sparked a little Jhen hunt in P3rd. Did the high rank event quest and killed him with my little kitties. I know in Tri, doing my best, I could only repel Jhen, not kill. I'm not sure if it was low rank Jhen or high rank but yeah, only a repel. I'm sure people have soloed high rank Jhen in Tri, I'm just not one of them lol.

I'm not sure why they lowered the difficulty so much in P3rd but I still enjoy it very much. With my 3DS coming tomorrow I'm not sure how much of P3rd I will play though.

Instead of sleeping, I defeated Pink Rathian, Electric Qurupeco and Plesioth.
On to Village Rank 7 then. And it seems the chief's son needs something to allow me to go to the great desert and try to take on Jhen Moran.

I agree that in P3rd he was a real joke, I was even surprised the first time he fell even though I wasn't particularly that aggressive. Should indeed be a lot more difficult this time around ^^;

I would kill him and take the prize even if he bugged heh, it's his own fault for trying something funny.

On another note, I feel sorry for Rangurotora...even in High Rank and with 2 of them at the same time, he didn't put much of a fight. The only annoying move he has is the sealing of items if you don't have the anti-sealing smoke.

Now I need to forge some kind of fire hammer to take on Ice Barroth, next one on my kill list.

john tv

I would kill him and take the prize even if he bugged heh, it's his own fault for trying something funny.

On another note, I feel sorry for Rangurotora...even in High Rank and with 2 of them at the same time, he didn't put much of a fight. The only annoying move he has is the sealing of items if you don't have the anti-sealing smoke.

Now I need to forge some kind of fire hammer to take on Ice Barroth, next one on my kill list.
Sounds like we're around the same spot. Plesioth was a bit of a letdown IMO (just not that fearsome underwater), but Pink Rathian and Crimson Qurupeco def. delivered. Looking forward to Ice Barroth next...

Plesioth was more annoying than hard - his running animation on land is laughable, and he took one of my lives with a turning water beam (didn't expect that one). He keeps changing areas for nothing (from 10 to 11 then ten seconds later he was back in 10...I wonder why he went there in the first place...) or he keeps alternating between land and water.
He won't make it in my most loved monsters list that's for sure.

Pink Rathian, at first I was surprised of her breath attack during the bite, the wide range of her aerial tail swipe and her hovering+ instant tail swipe. Once I learned those new moves, it was sort of alright. Seeing her limping made me sigh in relief though ^^

Electric Qurupeco as I like to call him wasn't hard at all alone, I only saw him blind me a few times, which was annoying. The real problem comes from Eviljho barging in the fight (didn't have dungbombs). He scares me =(

Top Bottom