• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

Again, I didn't need the claw in MHFU, recentering alone, sometimes using the d-pad while in other animations, and learning how the monsters move even if off screen, worked fine.

So "the crab" is basically playing as normal? If you wanted a dual analog style (not one of the modes that actually mapped attacks on the right stick or whatever) setup - in this case one analog and one touch d-pad - you always had to leave the attack buttons and such to move the camera... You'd do that if you got the slide pad pro too even.

I was about to say the same thing. I don't see how the camera on the touch screen can't get the job done as well as a second circle pad for this kind of game. Let's face it, you're moving the camera left and right and rarely up and down. If we were talking about a FPS, then I can see why a second circle pad would be good.

Alrus

I was about to say the same thing. I don't see how the camera on the touch screen can't get the job done as well as a second circle pad for this kind of game. Let's face it, you're moving the camera left and right and rarely up and down. If we were talking about a FPS, then I can see why a second circle pad would be good.

On top of that, the camera control in the MH games isn't even analog. So a d-pad can do the exact same job as an analog. Unless the touch screen d-pad is very awkward to use due to its position or something.

Is it just me or are the loads way faster than Tri?

It should do. It is running off a 3DS game card, vs a DVD after all!

BTW: If you can't reposition objects on the touch screen/reshape the d-pad, then this demo isn't really very representative of the final version's controls. I'd imagine it to work perfectly if you can reshape the d-pad (personally, I'd make it it taller and skinnier than the default and I'd move it over towards the right of the screen)

On top of that, the camera control in the MH games isn't even analog. So a d-pad can do the exact same job as an analog. Unless the touch screen d-pad is very awkward to use due to its position or something.

Well, you can set up the touch screen however you want. Want the camera in the top left, you can. Want it on the bottom right, you can. It's 100% customizable(maybe even sizes of buttons). So I don't see the camera on the touch screen being an issue at all. I tested it on RE Mercs just fine.

Ridley327

Wow, 60 fps in 2D and 3D is a massive visual improvement over the other games in the series. Capcom is really making the 3DS its bitch.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Definitely makes the few graphics reductions more than just acceptable as they were before if it's really consistent.

Definitely makes the few graphics reductions more than just acceptable as they were before if it's really consistent.

What graphical reductions? As far as we have seen in screenshots and videos, it uses the same assets as the Wii version! (in fact, it's graphically enhanced thanks to proper HDR lighting and real shadows/self shadowing)

All that at (effectively) 4x the FPS of the Wii version (60 FPS x 2 VS 30FPS x 1). Insanity!

Alexios

What graphical reductions? As far as we have seen in screenshots and videos, it uses the same assets as the Wii version! (in fact, it's graphically enhanced thanks to proper HDR lighting and real shadows/self shadowing)

All that at (effectively) 4x the FPS of the Wii version (60 FPS x 2 VS 30FPS x 1). Insanity!
Textures and geometry, more obvious in some areas than others, as described here, unless, again, I remember Tri wrong. Though it's not been that long.

In previous media you could also see reduced quality on the minion Jaggi models iirc (but not the Great Jaggi).

Here's a Tundra video in Tri. I think the ground texture does look considerably better than it does in the TriG demo video so I'll trust my gut in the other issue too.

Just watch the first minute, not exactly a worthwhile video, just a random's playthrough, with weird colors too, so ignore that aspect.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
yeah, i don't see graphical reductions - if anything things have been boosted. DEM SHADERS, thought it might be clever art or something.

going to put a video up flicking to 3D mode - even if you can't (obviously) see it you should be able to see the relative frame rate

Akainu

I can see a lot of MH vets being turned off at first, since they're used to playing in an awkward way already and this game doesn't allow that same control method. It's not like they learned and mastered the claw control method from the start.
The claw method isn't rocket science. It's just murder on your hands.

Textures and geometry, more obvious in some areas than others, as described here, unless, again, I remember Tri wrong. Though it's not been that long.

In previous media you could also see reduced quality on the minion Jaggi models iirc (but not the Great Jaggi).

Mind you though, you also have to remember that Tri Wii has a stronger bloom effect than Tri G (which was probably toned down both for visibility reasons and because the 3DS supports native HDR), which hid the blurriness of the Wii game's textures moreso; plus the 3DS is rendering the game at a lower resolution, meaning that the mip mapping will be harsher on the 3DS than on the Wii, even if the actual texture assets are the same (since the 3DS screen cannot resolve the full size of the texture at the same distance as the Wii)

We did a test back in an older thread with the Wii emulator emulating MH3 at the 3DS resolution and it was established that the "Un-compelling" textures were caused by the lower resolution rendering (the 3DS and Wii screenshots looked identical)

Orayn

Holy shit, 60 FPS too?

wselc.png

I really hope a US/EU version with online play gets announced soon.

Alexios

That was a far shot however, I would think the closer the object is to the camera the closer to Wii quality it should look since a lot of the available resolution is dedicated into showing just that, and textures aren't likely to often be of much larger resolution than all of the Wii's display resolution... It's obvious that the further away something is the more information the limited resolution can't display but the ground is pretty close to the camera as he walks along. It's like fences or similarly small detail objects become a mess or even disappear when further away when running games in low res, but they look fine up close (just using this as an example since it was the first striking difference I saw from going into higher resolution settings back in the day, with Project IGI at that, lol, I thought it was the shit back then)...

DCharlie

http://www.dcharlie.com/mh3g4.avi

really hard to tell - but when the screen brightness pops up, it's in 2D, when screen is at it's darkest or less than that brightness it's at various degrees of 3D-ness.

short version : no frame rate change. It might be we are all deceived and it's 30fps all the time but.... certainly doesn't look like it.

So, MH3g is 60FPS, with 2D AND 3D, and no body noticed that ?
Lulz at videogame "journalists"

played it first time and didn't notice it.

As i've said, my brain isn't quite sure what it's seeing - it's probably a very variable rate but it certainly has the -impression- it's 60fps. I still have a hard time believing it is even though i can see it. It's ... weird.

That was a far shot however, I would think the closer the object the closer to Wii quality it should look... It's obvious that the further away something is the more information the limited resolution can't show. The ground is pretty close to the camera as he walks along. It's like fences or similarly small detail objects become a mess or even disappear when further away when running games in low res, but they look fine up close (just using this as an example since it was the first striking difference I saw from going higher resolution back in the day)...

Exactly. It's probably a screen resolution limitation, rather than it using lower res textures (which would make no sense since the 3DS has more RAM than the Wii and more VRAM too!)

As for the minion polygon models. We never did get a good comparison shot of the two Jaggies next to each other, so it was kinda hard to tell. If it was sacrificed for the sake of 60FPS though, who cares?! I guess it's also possible that it might not have as many enemies on screen as well, but they probably saved quite a bit of processing power from the fact that they didn't need to fake the HDR lighting (since the 3DS does it natively) so that no doubt helped too.

Alexios

You're saying exactly but you seem to disagree with me still...

Like I said, this comparison isn't the same as that one far shot since the ground is so close to the camera and you can see it looks considerably worse clearly... imo...

Comparing mh3g2.avi 8-10 seconds in or so with the youtube video I linked 45 seconds and on. It's not the bloom differences, I'm not blind.

You're saying exactly but you seem to disagree with me still...

Like I said, this comparison isn't the same as that one far shot since the ground is so close to the camera and you can see it looks considerably worse clearly...

Sorry, misread it. Having a brain fart obviously.

Edit: actually, comparing those vids, it does seem that the Wii ground texture has a bit more detail. It's kinda hard to tell when it's a blurry video though.

I can't see why they'd do that though. Card size limitations maybe? (a quick Google search puts the Wii ISO at around 2.9GB. Would the added content in G push the game over 4GB perhaps?)

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Comments on some japanese blogs seem to be saying the same things you guys are. I have a hard time believing it runs at 60 in 3d mode. Really something i'd need to see in person.
if true though, then you know, wow.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Title needs to be changed:

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures, 60 FPS powered by Witchcraft and Pikmin Juice

Rhod

Hyperbole time! I am a total outsider when it comes to MH - I bought MH3 because all my colleagues were playing it (portable 2nd) and I had an OK time, but I never joined the every-lunch-break-for-a-year on my PSP like most of my friends.

Just downloaded the 3G demo because of the 60fps talk, and not only are the load-times between sections down to just around one second, but the game is silky smooth running, the environments (I'm on the snow part of the demo) lend themselves beautifully to 3D. This a a very pretty game, and I have a gigantic bow which seems to fire five shots at once.

So I have gone from 'no interest' to 'just ordered it, I hope they make enough copies!' on the back of this thread getting me to try it. Basically, seeing a game running at 60 in 3D with nice big monsters and environments* (even though it's not exactly high-poly) is impressive. It appeals to the long-dormant PC/tech nerd gamer in my soul. Capcom's priorities seemingly are in the right place on this one (so happy about the load times, I hope they hold up through the whole game).

*EDIT admittedly most of the geometry is in the distance most of the time so efficient LOD-ing is going on all over the place, but that too is smart. It suggests 3DS will be capable of more than I was expecting in the right hands, with the right design.

ShinNL

People thought Zelda 3DS was 60 fps at first too. Are you guys sure on this?

More importantly: does anyone know if the frankenadd-on enables CC2-style controls (aka PS2 style)? Otherwise I see no reason to get the add-on. (I'm just assuming it will come to West >_>)

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

Haha, I remember that.

"wow it's so smooth, it's probably 60fps?"
"it's a youtube video guys"
"you can tell it's 60 because the smoothness transcends video encoding and time itself'
"ok"

good times.

ShinNL

Haha, I remember that.

"wow it's so smooth, it's probably 60fps?"
"it's a youtube video guys"
"you can tell it's 60 because the smoothness transcends video encoding and time itself'
"ok"

good times.
I was one of those guys :(

More importantly: does anyone know if the frankenadd-on enables CC2-style controls (aka PS2 style)? Otherwise I see no reason to get the add-on. (I'm just assuming it will come to West >_>)

Anyone who's ever seen my past post history can back me up on this. I can tell 60FPS games from a mile off. That is definitely 60FPS (if somewhat variable)

DCharlie

Are you guys sure on this?

frankly no!

i can tell 60 from 30 pretty much all the time - or at least i think i can.

But looking at this my brain seems to scramble. I'm almost inclined to just say it IS 30fps and there's some other techniques fooling my brain into thinking it's 60fps

Or more likely the frame rate is super variable and my brain is filling in the gaps and giving the illusion of a higher frame rate.

Wazzim

Banned
Of course they just add 2X SSAA when in 2D mode. That makes sense (that's what all the other MT Framework games do on 3DS)

Even so, it just blows my mind! It blows the Wii version out of the water! My eyes tell me 60FPS but my brain refuses to believe! Black magic at work here (who needs "compelling textures"? We have 60FPS S3D!)

MT Framework? It looks like the usual 'legacy' MH engine to me..

Here's a Tundra video in Tri. I think the ground texture does look considerably better than it does in the TriG demo video so I'll trust my gut in the other issue too.

Just watch the first minute, not exactly a worthwhile video, just a random's playthrough, with weird colors too, so ignore that aspect.

It just was a hyperbole from Nuclear Muffin, I think he understands it doesn't work like that.

DCharlie

it pops up with MT Framework Mobile logo on launch - so it's definitely MT Framework. Don't think there's much debate on that one

Top Bottom