• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Strike |OT| Lucy in the Sky with Divine Sharls

Noaloha

Been dabbling in this for a week, just to see if it grabs me.

From my free rolling, my box has

Lin Zi
Apollo X
Arthur
Eclipse
Harley X

Aiven
Dear Lotta (x2)
Shiva
Karin
Ishida Mitsunari
Masamune
Tristan
Tirtha Chorde

So, I can see I have some decent mons, but I'm not sure what to focus on as a team. Unless I'm missing some, I think my only Pierce-type is Dear Lotta. Best to just roll with all my good 5-star bouncers (Arthur + Apollo X + Harley X..?), or is it important to include a piercer?

Azusa

So, I can see I have some decent mons, but I'm not sure what to focus on as a team. Unless I'm missing some, I think my only Pierce-type is Dear Lotta. Best to just roll with all my good 5-star bouncers (Arthur + Apollo X + Harley X..?), or is it important to include a piercer?

My friend list is full of Zeus and I'm just using him as pierce monster.

Cbajd5

Yeah, the rate for Shadowgaff is way too high. Not rolling again until this is addressed in some way, it's ridiculous.

oqY5PUa.png

Although that makes a 25 luck monster that's kinda useful until I get my Red Drake done...

Faiz

These bad rolls mean I probably won't buy orbs for this event...

After about 500 orbs between three accounts, and seeing only 6 five stars total, I'm not sure I'm ever going to buy orbs. And most of those were used during the launch event. New event just made it worse. :(

Edit: I mean, in terms of real world money that would be about $300 at the most economic. Ouch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, it's nuts. I am enjoying this game, and the monsters in the current gacha are apparently incredible. But I wonder if they won't come around again with better rates later?

Also, I need 3 more Thunderbirds to ascend my Amaterasu. Is it worth it for her?

Is the co-op matchmaking in game broken? It seems like if you aren't using line or some other social media then you can't get a game. Whenever I try to join a game it gives me a "Try Again" message, and when I try to host a game I just wait forever and no one joins.

Is the co-op matchmaking in game broken? It seems like if you aren't using line or some other social media then you can't get a game. Whenever I try to join a game it gives me a "Try Again" message, and when I try to host a game I just wait forever and no one joins.

The co-op matchmaking without social media is location-based I think.

So, if no one else around you is opening or looking for lobbies, you're SOL

Damn, well it looks like no one is playing this in Youngstown, OH, then. Not too surprising.

Strangely enough, I live in a suburb on the edge of Portland and when me and the girl play we'll get a lot of random people. I wonder how far the reach of "location based" is, or what it's actually based off of, zip code, etc ..

That said, the pull results for this are abysmal. I spent $5 just for one last hurrah and got a 4* one I've seen 6 times. I can honestly say I will never spend any more money on this game. P&D at least gave me 'hope'.

Strangely enough, I live in a suburb on the edge of Portland and when me and the girl play we'll get a lot of random people. I wonder how far the reach of "location based" is, or what it's actually based off of, zip code, etc ..

That said, the pull results for this are abysmal. I spent $5 just for one last hurrah and got a 4* one I've seen 6 times. I can honestly say I will never spend any more money on this game. P&D at least gave me 'hope'.

You should never ever spend money on these games. Every bit of them, literally and figuratively, is designed to warp the player's sense of value and spend money in a completely irrational way:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Andr...eat_Game_Design_Drives_GungHos_Global_Hit.php

That said, these games can still be fun, if you can handle it.

If you cannot, run away.

garath

So seems like current pulls are pretty crap? I've got 3 saved up. Guess I'll hold off for now. Even with meeting 50 people in co-op I still never ended up with a Zeus or Arthur. I was never very lucky in PAD either lol.

You should never ever spend money on these games. Every bit of them, literally and figuratively, is designed to warp the player's sense of value and spend money in a completely irrational way:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Andr...eat_Game_Design_Drives_GungHos_Global_Hit.php

If you cannot, run away.

Ha, I know! Sometimes I just like seeing shiny things. I figure if they give me hours of enjoyment, a fiver won't kill me.

But yeah, I only do it if the 'payoff' is worth it. In P&D I spent about $15 I think over the course of a few months and you would see some good things. For how many times I've pulled on this one, holy shit, I don't even get excited about orbs anymore, I use them for expanding the box and continues if needed. The gacha is almost non-existent to me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So seems like current pulls are pretty crap? I've got 3 saved up. Guess I'll hold off for now. Even with meeting 50 people in co-op I still never ended up with a Zeus or Arthur. I was never very lucky in PAD either lol.

One of the monsters in the current rotation is considered one of the best in the game. However, most people are pulling 3+ chimera or that dark thing. One dude on Facebook pulled 5 or 6 in ONE 10-shot, which is broken beyond broken.

Ha, I know! Sometimes I just like seeing shiny things. I figure if they give me hours of enjoyment, a fiver won't kill me.

Yep. It's the same for me. For whatever reasons (I think I "stim" off of the pool-like geometry angling), I'm binging harder on this than I ever did with P&D. Maybe it's simply being able to play multiplayer non-stop.

Another part of it is that good old gold-rush effect that I used to experience with new MMOs. Simple as it is, I love the multiplayer in this game. Line complements it so well. I wish it had a 2v2 and 4v4 PVP mode.

I wish there was some AI, too.

If you cannot, run away.

I think it's ok to drop some money on the game if you are enjoying it. Nothing wrong with supporting the developers to keep making content.

StMeph

What are the bonus stone limits?

I know New Strikers co-op bonus is 5 stones each for first 10, then 1 stone each for the next 90 for 140 stones.

What about friend invites? Is there a limit there?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3 pulls probably wont help much anyway because now you can pull 3* out of the gatcha for solo shots.

Its all luck anyway - i mean just look at some of the 10 pull results. With 1 Pull you can at least stop if you are satisfied or got what you wanted before. At this point getting 4* instead of 3* doesnt mean much anyway since most people pulling the trigger want the Top Tiers anyway.

Edit:

But to be fair if i had the orbs i would 10 pull as well, but that doesnt mean too much i think.

Faiz

I think it's ok to drop some money on the game if you are enjoying it. Nothing wrong with supporting the developers to keep making content.

I agree with this in concept. It's just that the drop rates in MonStrike though have been beyond abysmal IMO. I got 5 Quiri (4star monster) in one 10 pull today, and a sixth in a second. That's NOT fun. If I'd spent money on that pull I'd be beyond furious. I'm still a little miffed as it is.

I have no problem putting a little money into a freemium game I enjoy. But I don't want to be kicked in the nuts for doing so, either.

Ducarmel

Its all luck anyway - i mean just look at some of the 10 pull results. With 1 Pull you can at least stop if you are satisfied or got what you wanted before. At this point getting 4* instead of 3* doesnt mean much anyway since most people pulling the trigger want the Top Tiers anyway.

Edit:

But to be fair if i had the orbs i would 10 pull as well, but that doesnt mean too much i think.

Yes it is random, but probabilities still play a role.

I cant do the math since I don't know how many monsters are in the game but with 3* added into the mix the chances of getting a 5* does decrease since now there are more cards in the pool to pull from.

Faiz

Yes it is random, but probabilities still play a role.

I cant do the math since I don't know how many monsters are in the game but with 3* added into the mix the chances of getting a 5* does decrease since now there are more cards in the pool to pull from.

Unfortunately even knowing how many monsters are in doesn't do much good. If there were a thousand monsters, and 100 were 5star, that wouldn't necessarily mean a 10% chance of getting 5 star monsters. It's certain that the odds are weighted beyond mere percentages of the selection pool. And there's literally no way for us to tell how it's weighted, as I'm sure it's all done server side.

I'm rolling with three fours stars:

Masamune
Amaterasu
Albacore

I'm trying to find a reason why I should bother trying to use my 23 orbs to get a 5 star.

Uthred

Whats the bonus stage abuse people are talking about?

Ended up with Harley X, Zeus and Arthur, is there any point to pulling?

Shouta

Got 50 orbs again but I'm scared to try this gatcha once more because of all the Shadowgaff. I already got Marge.Tequila so I've got the big one but Tini/Gimlet sounds good too. D=

Yeah, the rate for Shadowgaff is way too high. Not rolling again until this is addressed in some way, it's ridiculous.

Although that makes a 25 luck monster that's kinda useful until I get my Red Drake done...
Wow.
Unfortunately even knowing how many monsters are in doesn't do much good. If there were a thousand monsters, and 100 were 5star, that wouldn't necessarily mean a 10% chance of getting 5 star monsters. It's certain that the odds are weighted beyond mere percentages of the selection pool. And there's literally no way for us to tell how it's weighted, as I'm sure it's all done server side.
Yep, the algorithm isn't going to be so simple.

What's crazy is that unlike gambling there is probably zero regulation so they can do whatever they want.

I was thinking: we should keep track of all our pulls in a shared document. We won't be able to reverse engineer the algorithm but maybe have decent proof of unfair play.

StMeph

Does anyone know when the friend invite bonus is triggered? Is it when the person downloads the game, loads up the game for the first time, or completes the tutorial?

it is possible that the game places a different value on free orbs and paid orbs: pulls with free orbs may just be junk by design, or tuned to your existing collection to stop you getting too far ahead.

Does anyone know when the friend invite bonus is triggered? Is it when the person downloads the game, loads up the game for the first time, or completes the tutorial?

when they collect their award, which is when they do the tutorial. The friends award cannot be claimed twice, and their player number is unique to the device so if they wipe and reinstall they get the same player number and cannot reclaim their gift meaning you dont get two gifts in return.

it is possible that the game places a different value on free orbs and paid orbs: pulls with free orbs may just be junk by design, or tuned to your existing collection to stop you getting too far ahead.

no by design that's a bad idea, you want people to get the high of pulling with a decent reward rate hence starting with such good deals (4 stars or above only etc). they can always chuck more carrots at you to pull later if needs be.....

i pulled a few times and got a smopol. any good?

Yea it all depends on the algorithm. For example, maybe they do a tier roll firs to see how many stars, then do a second roll. Here it doesn't matter how many monsters are in, the rate of 5* remains constant. Or maybe they assign each monster a number, with higher numbers assigned to more common monsters. Lay the monsters out in a row, then Add up all the numbers to get the sum, say N. Then pick a number from 1-N, and pick whatever monster it falls on. This way adding a monster does change the odds of getting 5* or 4*

Possibilities are endless.

chrono01

I really love this game, I do. The gameplay is addictive, and playing with others is a lot of fun.

However, that Gatcha...

The rates for 5* are way too low, and the cost for purchasing Orbs too high. If I'm going to spend $38.99 on 60 Orbs so I can pull, it'd be nice if they would at least guarantee you at least one 5* monster. Maybe one of the ones from that specific event? That would encourage more people to spend the money, since they're at least guaranteed to get something out of it, and not a bunch of 4* dupes instead.

I spent around $10 last night on 12 Orbs, just to push me over 50 so I could do another 10-pull, and got nothing but dupes. The only 5* I got was a duplicate of Tini, which is useless to me. I would have liked Margarite, and would feel inclined to purchase more to try for her, but when the outcome is likely more dupes, I don't exactly feel enthusiastic about it.

As I said, the game is great fun. However, either the rate of 5* units dropping from the Gatcha [especially for 10-pull] need to increase, or the price of Orbs decrease. Until then, I can't see myself buying any more Orbs, since the potential for loss is too great.

I really love this game, I do. The gameplay is addictive, and playing with others is a lot of fun.

However, that Gatcha...

The rates for 5* are way too low, and the cost for purchasing Orbs too high. If I'm going to spend $38.99 on 60 Orbs so I can pull, it'd be nice if they would at least guarantee you at least one 5* monster. Maybe one of the ones from that specific event? That would encourage more people to spend the money, since they're at least guaranteed to get something out of it, and not a bunch of 4* dupes instead.

I spent around $10 last night on 12 Orbs, just to push me over 50 so I could do another 10-pull, and got nothing but dupes. The only 5* I got was a duplicate of Tini, which is useless to me. I would have liked Margarite, and would feel inclined to purchase more to try for her, but when the outcome is likely more dupes, I don't exactly feel enthusiastic about it.

As I said, the game is great fun. However, either the rate of 5* units dropping from the Gatcha [especially for 10-pull] need to increase, or the price of Orbs decrease. Until then, I can't see myself buying any more Orbs, since the potential for loss is too great.
They are making money hand over fist so they don't have a lot of incentive to change anything. :\

Draxal

Oh, I know why they do it, I just wish they wouldn't.

My feelings towards the game don't really change, though. Still having a great time with it.

Its not nearly as bad as Brave Frontier (typings/units get outdated every release) and Love Live (all though units really don't matter as much here).

Top Bottom