• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More bad behavior at Yellowstone - man walks off boardwalk and dies in hot spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral Dog

I think animals usually stay away from boiling acid. Humans usually do to, especially since there are fences and signs saying not to go near them. Willfully going off the path in a clearly dangerous area and then dying is hard to have much sympathy for, especially when going off the path is probably breaking up natural formations that have taken ages to build up over time. I feel sorry for his friends and family for the loss, but the dude made a very dumb decision to go into a obviously dangerous area, and died. Nature's a bitch, disrespect it at your own peril.

Did you follow that?
i think its also more of the cruel and unusual death that has to be drowning in an acid pool.

, but yes it was very poor decision making.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm actually headed to Yellowstone next week. Hope I don't encounter any idiots heading off the trail ignoring signs, because that shit pisses me off.
Nice, enjoy. It's a wonderful place.

Why are people being so disrespectful to the guy?
Because he was a blithering idiot whose death was entirely caused by his own blithering idiocy. Not hard to see why people wouldn't feel much sympathy.

The Beard

This is why we can't have nice things. People can't be trusted to act like semi-intelligent adults when they're unsupervised. They're going to end up installing ugly fences/barriers because of these dumb assholes.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
He certainly didn't deserve such an awful death, but its hard for me to feel that bad for him. I went to Yellowstone when i was 12, and I remember all the signs that warn you about the danger at every turn. The signs are so frequent I don't believe for a second that he didn't see any of them, so its doubtful he was unaware of the danger. Hopefully it serves as a deterrent to people who would wander off the path in the future. Its one of the most beautiful and interesting parks in the world, but its also an incredibly dangerous area if you don't follow the rules. The number of things that can kill you at Yellowstone is immense.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Reminds me of the selfie deaths from people falling over cliffs.

Just such a dumb way to go. And for what? A closer look?

I went to Yellowstone last year and I can't even begin to tell you how much stupid shit I saw all for a selfie or video. I was shaking my head almost the entire time I was around other people.

MogCakes

Dogs don't have any awareness of danger from acid I don't think. It thought it was a lake probably....big mistake to bring a pet there without a very short leash, or at all.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I don't know why you keep arguing something about which you are so obviously factually wrong. It's almost fascinating to watch. Just admit you don't know what you're talking about and move on...

Valuable contribution to the thread, well done.

Your loss. You do realize that all you need to do is not be a complete fucking dumbass and you'll be fine, though, right?

No one's gonna call me a fucking dumbass when the sun is shining on my eyes and a gust of wind tips me off balance and off to boiling hell i go, just like that level of Doom where you fall in the green goo with no way out.

Actually, it probably depends on whether there will be a gaf thread. Gaf would definitely call me a fucking dumbass that deserved to die.

The Beard

No one's gonna call me a fucking dumbass when the sun is shining on my eyes and a gust of wind tips me off balance and off to boiling hell i go, just like that level of Doom where you fall in the green goo with no way out.

Actually, it probably depends on whether there will be a gaf thread. Gaf would definitely call me a fucking dumbass that deserved to die.

To be fair, I would probably call you a dumb ass.

I mean, who gets blinded by the sun and then thrown 100 yards by a gust of wind? That's some Mr.Bean shit right there. Lol

There's been an update and probably not surprising: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38018209

The remains of a man who died in a hot spring accident in Yellowstone National Park were dissolved before they could be recovered, it has emerged. Colin Scott, 23, died in June in an illegal attempt to soak, or "hot pot", in the US park's thermal pools.The accident was recorded by the victim's sister on her mobile phone, the incident report says.

The grisly details came to light following a freedom-of-information request by local television news.

_92491697_reportexcerpt.jpg

norm9

There's been an update and probably not surprising: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38018209

The remains of a man who died in a hot spring accident in Yellowstone National Park were dissolved before they could be recovered, it has emerged. Colin Scott, 23, died in June in an illegal attempt to soak, or "hot pot", in the US park's thermal pools.The accident was recorded by the victim's sister on her mobile phone, the incident report says.

The grisly details came to light following a freedom-of-information request by local television news.

_92491697_reportexcerpt.jpg

That's science for ya.

Gravidee

Wow. How could you be so stupid to think that you could just bathe in these pools like it's some hotub?

Risible

...? He probably died within minutes, if not seconds. The remains dissolved overnight.

Ya know, I said to myself after I posted "Maybe I should put those on two different lines so that it was obvious that I was referring to two different things, the dissolving of his remains and then his death. Then I thought "Nah, no one will read it that way, and if they did they wouldn't assume I was that stupid."

I stand corrected.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I found a nice hot spring in between the Yellowstone and Grand Teton areas and went in it. Part of it was REALLY FUCKING HOT, so you kinda had to find the spot where the cold water mixed with the lava water.

The stuff over by Norris Basin is superheated though, so you wouldn't even be able to get near it without getting your skin melted off.

commedieu

Banned
Burning is supposed to be a good way to go because you burn off all your nerves quickly then drown/asphyxiate.

The original report made it sound like he was doing a lol walk. I guess I missed the details he was trying to 'hot pot' r whatever. Thats just stupid.

I wouldn't be filming my brother doing that, I'd be kicking him in the groin and filming that for the mere suggestion.

This guy was stupid of course, but seriously ... if he wants to walk into a superheated cauldron of water thats probably about 285 degrees and will boil his guts in seconds, that's his own thing.

He obviously disregarded the warning signs ...

It's no nobody's fault but his own.

Let him get a 1st place darwinism award.

Demoskinos

Natural Selection at work. Horrific death but if you directly go against the safety regulations in place I'm not really sure you can be shocked by the results of your actions.

The water is 200 degrees Fahrenheit, so just below boiling. I guess the pain was excruciating so he wasn't able to think clearly enough to climb out. This is very sad, but also strange that common sense didn't prevail here.

M3d10n

Burning is supposed to be a good way to go because you burn off all your nerves quickly then drown/asphyxiate.

Yeah, from that story of the dude who dived head first into a boiling pool to try to save his dog, when he came out (he actually managed to crawl back out of it) he was asking others how bad it was (he was blind), so I guess his nerves were mostly gone on the first seconds so he couldn't feel the pain anymore (he died of shock in the hospital).

What the fuck is "hot pot"? is it a thing?

Also the sister has a video of the guy falling into the spring but the park confiscated the video and will not release it.

Zelias

Banned
The guy was stupid... but damn, what a high price to pay. I just hope this senseless, horrible death serves as a warning.

MogCakes

Yeah, from that story of the dude who dived head first into a boiling pool to try to save his dog, when he came out (he actually managed to crawl back out of it) he was asking others how bad it was (he was blind), so I guess his nerves were mostly gone on the first seconds so he couldn't feel the pain anymore (he died of shock in the hospital).

He also didn't realize his eyeballs likely dissolved the instant they touched the acid, which is telling as well. Yellowstone is no joke.

What the fuck is "hot pot"? is it a thing?

Also the sister has a video of the guy falling into the spring but the park confiscated the video and will not release it.

Some of the springs there are comfortably warm, but those are heavily marked, I think. This guy picked one blind.

What? Link?

commedieu

Banned

Just a heap of melted dude asking how bad is it..that's awful.

:/

Strimei

So wait, it wasn't that he simply wandered where he shouldn't have, he went there purposefully with the intention of finding a place to soak?

God what an idiot.

mjc

What the fuck....damn.

Okay enough internet for me today.

Okay, I never been to YSNP, but if they don't already have a sign up there that says "We highly discourage bringing your dog or any other pets for that matter to Yellowstone. If you do bring your pet dog with you. Please, please have them on a leash in your control and as far away from the boiling pools at all times" looks like dogs jumping in the boiling water, and their owners badly burning or killing themselves after jumping in to save them, is a lot more common occurance than it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom