• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More bad behavior at Yellowstone - man walks off boardwalk and dies in hot spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

I've already said that we've seen elderly men live for many minutes after being covered in a gasoline fire, which is over 900 degrees Celsius, and not have evidence of internal organ physical damage.

That's interesting. Do you think that immersion in boiling water might restrict heat dissipation? Also, what was their level of consciousness, heart rate, and blood pressure? Do you know what they were prestabilization by EMT?

This is just for my edification. Thanks.

acids lead to rapid coagulative protein denaturation that actually slows the rate of burn depth/penetration due to the thick eschar formation. Alkalis lead to liquefaction necrosis, which is worse.

Edit: Potassium and magnesium release into the circulation is not a typical priority in burn resuscitation for thermal injuries. This becomes evident as lactated Ringer's is the first line fluid therapy for resuscitation, a fluid which contains potassium. The arrhythmias you mention become more of an issue with electrical burns (e.g., lightning strike, or a power line worker who touches a live wire).

Nice. Good info.

Anyway, my original post was simply attempting to say that shock responses would shut down consciousness such that the person wouldn't have to experience every moment of their body being melted away, whether that loss of consciousness was vasovagal (which I agree would be the faster cause), respiratory, or circulatory.

On the subject of supporting material and burn shock due to boiling, I couldn't find many (any) studies examining boiling animals and studying the physiologic responses. I'm assuming it's near impossible to fund such a project, given its limited medical application and arguably unethical procedure requirements.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is awful. What a horrible way to die.

But fuck if it's not god damned stupid to leave the boardwalk. I can't express how flabbergasted I am that anyone would think it was a good idea.

I was a silly, sometimes foolish kid. Keyword being "kid." He was 23. An adult. Old enough to smoke, drink alcohol, and vote. Why would you willingly put your life in danger? It's one thing to go skydiving, or climbing a dangerous mountain, but nothing about "walking among an active volcano/geysers" screams "this is totally going on the bucket list!"

I feel sorry for the sister who witnessed this, and the family who now have to live their lives without him. I've lost family and friends, young and old, so I know the toll loss takes on you mentally and emotionally, and honestly, you never really recover.

What a senseless tragedy. I'm simultaneously sad and angry.

This awful. What a horrible way to die.

But fuck if it's not god damned stupid to leave the boardwalk. I can't express how flabbergasted I am that anyone would think it wa a good idea.

I was a silly, sometimes foolish kid. Keyword being "kid." He was 23. An adult. Old enough to smoke, drink alcohol, and vote. Why would you willingly put your life in danger? It's one thing to go skydiving, or climbing a dangerous mountain, but nothing about "walking among an active volcano/geysers" screams "this is totally going on the bucket list!"

I feel sorry for the sister who witnessed this, and the family who now have to love their life without him. I've lost family and friends, young and old, so I know the toll loss takes on you mentally and emotionally, and honestly, you never really recover.

What a senseless tragedy. I'm simultaneously sad and angry.

You really summed up my feelings, exactly.

You can bet he felt a good bit of that..
Just below boiling? Nothing instantaneous about that. Probably attempted to swim out but ended up drowning as he inhaled the water

I don't understand the discussion on how long he lived how much he felt when on page 1 we have a case where some1 was smart enough to jump in and live to die a day later and apparently talk when they pulled him out.

jblank83

I don't understand the discussion on how long he lived how much he felt when on page 1 we have a case where some1 was smart enough to jump in and live to die a day later and apparently talk when they pulled him out.

Different springs, different depths, different temperatures, different conditions. That would be my guess. Or maybe he did suffer every moment of the experience.

I dunno. That's why I'm interested in the subject.

Saya

That's a hell of a way to go.

Warning signs just don't work for some people. This is a warning sign posted underwater in front of a cave system and people still ignore it and went it (and sometimes died).

7Vr7F1r.jpg

jstripes

Banned

Warning signs just don't work for some people. This is a warning sign posted underwater in front of a cave system and people still ignore it and went it (and sometimes died).

Ya, some people view that as an invitation. Others think they're more skilled than the average person, and it doesn't apply to them.

Dai101

Banned

It would be great if that Grim Reaper were giving the finger to those shmucks.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Considering how dumb society is and the way everything works with lawsuits and everything I'm surprised that entire boardwalk isn't littered with signs "Do NOT exit the path"
Horrible way to go, but the guy was an idiot too.

Does the park need a "don't step off this path or else you will be boiled alive in acid" sign or something?
There are such signs everywhere. Some examples were posted a bit earlier.

*reads thread*

*scratches "visit Yellowstone" off of vacation to do list*
I am never visiting Yellowstone in my life, that shit is too dangerous. How can people even take their kids there? I'd die of heart attack just thinking about it.
Your loss. You do realize that all you need to do is not be a complete fucking dumbass and you'll be fine, though, right?

Why are you talking about this like it's an accident that he wandered off the platform? The lack of railings has nothing to do with this. There are no rails on streets either, but we know not to wander out into traffic because cars can hit you and it will not be good if they do.

The hot springs of Yellowstone literally have big signs all over telling you what they are, how hot and acidic they are, and warning that they can kill you if you get near them, and imploring people to stay on the boardwalks for their own safety. You CANNOT miss them. They're everywhere. Most people heed them, he did not.
This.

ITT we see who has actually been to Yellowstone and who hasn't. xD

That's Yellowstone if you didn't notice the steaming clouds in the background. Doesn't that left side look sorta kinda mistakably safe? Almost like you couldn't even tell it was Yellowstone. I need to see exactly where this happened before I say I can't understand why it happened.

I'm not trying to absolve the dude of any wrongdoing. I'm saying I see how the mistake could be made. Even with those signs.

EDIT: I see your edit now, but the fact that you mistook it in the first place shows my point.

What you've said is stepping on that grass for 200 yards on the left side of that path is the same as playing in traffic. If I'm analyzing the information correctly.
I don't know why you keep arguing something about which you are so obviously factually wrong. It's almost fascinating to watch. Just admit you don't know what you're talking about and move on...

Maybe change the signs to be far more blunt:

4ridiculousroadsign.jpg

Danger_sign.png

6693132-Danger-You-will-DIE-0.jpg
Living in a prime skiing country I can attest the uppermost doesn't work whatsoever, ever.
LOL, well then, there is no hope.

It's like the old saying about trying to make something (like software or in this case, a warning signpost) fool proof; you can't ever do it, because the universe will always eventually invent a bigger fool.

They really need to get rid of or clean up these parks. Lakes of boiling acid just lying around ruining people's lives. Disgusting. Get a grip Yellowstone!

.JayZii

Banned
Please don't shit up our beautiful, rare national park with your awful behavior and dumbass corpses.

Regards,

Yellowstone Park

Kuroyume

Banned
Photos of the guy (before he died obviously) here: http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2016/06/colin-nathaniel-scott-yellowstone-national-park-hot-spring/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottcolin

A report via cbsnews describes Colin Nathaniel Scott graduating from Pacific University and ironically previously working at the Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve in Oregon, as a nature guide according to Mary Loftin, a manager at the Hillsboro, Oregon, parks and recreation department. Scott worked there for about 20 months fielding questions from visitors, and his stint ended last year, she said.

‘A very nice young man; a bright spirit,’ Loftin said.

Read more at http://scallywagandvagabond.com/201...national-park-hot-spring/#qYmTDGjku4GCGf0W.99

Scott and his sister had traveled about 225 yards off the boardwalk on Tuesday when he slipped and fell into the hot spring in the Norris Geyser Basin. Officials said the two had left the boardwalk to get closer to some of the basin's thermal features.

"This tragic event must remind all of us to follow the regulations and stay on boardwalks," Wenk said.

After Scott's sister reported the fall, rangers navigated over the highly fragile crust of the geyser basin to try to recover his body. They halted the effort "due to the extreme nature and futility of it all," said park spokeswoman Charissa Reid, referring to the high temperature and acidic nature of the spring.

"It's sort of dumb, if I could be so blunt, to walk off the boardwalks not knowing what you're doing," said Kenneth Sims, a University of Wyoming geology professor and member of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory.

"They're scofflaws, essentially, who look around and then head off the boardwalk," he added. Sims said he was speaking generally and had no direct knowledge of the circumstances of Scott's death.

Other recent tourist incidents at Yellowstone include a 13-year-old boy who was scalded Saturday when his father, who had been carrying him, slipped into a different hot spring.

Hollleeee crap.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-yellowstone-death-20160609-snap-story.html

Video interview with Yellowstone official: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzcYZ4ZwH10

It's a bad idea to wander off even if you are familiar with the area. The book "Death in Yellowstone" covers a bit of the hot springs and there are multiple instances of park employees going out to a pond for a good time only to have someone wander back home the wrong way, step into some boiling acid, and never be heard from again.

Too bad the guy died. I have done my share of dumb shit, a lot of which could've killed me. That said, he was a 23-year-old with a fully formed brain, so there's no excuse for his poor decision making.

Roc

Neo Member
I'm actually headed to Yellowstone next week. Hope I don't encounter any idiots heading off the trail ignoring signs, because that shit pisses me off.

Patapwn

some people have no empathy. All these natural selection/darwin award comments are gross as fuck
My only guess for the contempt is that people think he was hurting the park. I dont think he was but regardless is it really appropriate to give the business to the guy that died in liquid death?

.JayZii

Banned
I don't follow your logic, since nature is full of animal corpses.
I think animals usually stay away from boiling acid. Humans usually do to, especially since there are fences and signs saying not to go near them. Willfully going off the path in a clearly dangerous area and then dying is hard to have much sympathy for, especially when going off the path is probably breaking up natural formations that have taken ages to build up over time. I feel sorry for his friends and family for the loss, but the dude made a very dumb decision to go into a obviously dangerous area, and died. Nature's a bitch, disrespect it at your own peril.

Did you follow that?

bill0527

That sign is a magnet for the don't-tell-me-I-can't-do-something contrarians among us.

Also a magnet for stupid people.

dabig2

Poor guy. Had to be an excruciating death. The punishment just doesn't match the mistake of simple but misguided curiosity. At least he's at rest now
as long as he accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior

I felt sympathy for another human being once...

It was horrible.

I have plenty of sympathy for people; just not those who enter highly dangerous areas despite copious warnings against doing so, and as a result of their foolish actions end up dying. Plenty of people in the world who are hurt or who lose their lives through no fault of their own who are far more deserving of compassion IMO. Yes, I know I'm being a cold-hearted bastard.

This is one thing I like about the national parks. Basically, if you're stupid you can fucking die. If you stay on the paths and follow the guidelines regarding how to deal with wild animals you should be fine, however there's not going to be anyone to stop you if you decide to do otherwise. This is how it should be. If you want to break the rules, go ahead...you probably can get away with it, but realize that this isn't Disneyland...it's Earth in it's purest state and it will fuck you up if you don't respect it.

some people have no empathy. All these natural selection/darwin award comments are gross as fuck

I think you might have meant sympathy and even that's asking too much.

If anyone deserves, it's his sister. She had no choice but to helplessly watch her brother melt away. To hear his screams, I wonder if she'll ever be able to get over it.

ColdPizza

Banned
I think you might have meant sympathy and even that's asking too much.

If anyone deserves, it's his sister. She had no choice but to helplessly watch her brother melt away. To hear his screams, I wonder if she'll ever be able to get over it.

He might have only screamed if he fell in half way. I have a feeling he was just completely submerged instantly so hoping she was spared that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll say it again because every page it gets stated but I have sympathy for the guy, its a terrible horrible way to go, I have sympathy for his family and everyone who had to watch that, I have sympathy for the park rangers who have to deal with the situation. I'm also going to call it a bone head, foolish, stupid move on the guys part. I believe we can still be critical even while feeling for the deceased and those about him.

Mupod

Nice try, Death. I know you're hiding your treasure back there.

jstripes

Banned
I think animals usually stay away from boiling acid. Humans usually do to, especially since there are fences and signs saying not to go near them. Willfully going off the path in a clearly dangerous area and then dying is hard to have much sympathy for, especially when going off the path is probably breaking up natural formations that have taken ages to build up over time. I feel sorry for his friends and family for the loss, but the dude made a very dumb decision to go into a obviously dangerous area, and died. Nature's a bitch, disrespect it at your own peril.

Did you follow that?

I was telling someone last week that humans are the only animals that run towards fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom