• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - August 31st Release |OT| (almost) Sega Saturn'd

how does anyone finish this game? even playing on easy levels of UMK3 the AI is just so terrible...i dont see how to get these achievements at all. im not sure i want to play this anymore its just ruined my memory of what i thought were great games..

has anyone used Sub zero in MKII - his freeze sound happens twice every time you do it? also, i cant believe how unresponsive the controls are even in 1P offline mode.

im doing inputs that just arent recognised, like literally nothing is happening when i do them with my arcade stick.

the terrible AI is another thing i wish they fixed...being thrown halfway through an uppercut or a sweep even on very easy is just rubbish.

robot

I was gonna grab this to get more use out of my MK stick, sounds like I should just play MK9 more instead.

Apoc87 said:
Damnit.

Is it really that fucked up?

its terrible in every way. online, offline - everything. the sounds are out, the inputs are out. sometimes they just dont register. also, i KNOW the original game had some dodgy Ai, but ive considered myself to be quite decent at MK games, ive now continued about 15x on "very easy" on MK2 and i just cant finish the game. no matter what you do, the computer pre-empts your move then does something thats impossible.

i.e. - u jump and kick, after you jump, they will jump and kick vertically.
you uppercut, they throw
u sweep, they throw
u block, they punch u a few times then when u let go of block they uppercut or throw

im used to playing 2 player in the arcade so never REALLY realised this too much - i could finish the games in the arcade on 1CC but as i said...after 15 continues im not even up to Motaro/Kintaro or whatever.

This is supposed to be very easy..i dont see ANY difference between this and very hard...its the same bullshit cheap AI - i know there are supposed to be ways around this, but if the inputs and controls are fucked then reallym theres nothing to do.

the furthest ive gotten is using baraka and spamming his blade slice (BBB LP) non stop but it only registers about 1 in 3 times i do it...

Phat Michael said:
its terrible in every way. online, offline - everything. the sounds are out, the inputs are out. sometimes they just dont register. also, i KNOW the original game had some dodgy Ai, but ive considered myself to be quite decent at MK games, ive now continued about 15x on "very easy" on MK2 and i just cant finish the game. no matter what you do, the computer pre-empts your move then does something thats impossible.

you uppercut, they throw
u sweep, they throw
u block, they punch u a few times then when u let go of block they uppercut or throw

im used to playing 2 player in the arcade so never REALLY realised this too much - i could finish the games in the arcade on 1CC but as i said...after 15 continues im not even up to Motaro/Kintaro or whatever.

This is supposed to be very easy..i dont see ANY difference between this and very hard...its the same bullshit cheap AI - i know there are supposed to be ways around this, but if the inputs and controls are fucked then reallym theres nothing to do.

the furthest ive gotten is using baraka and spamming his blade slice (BBB LP) non stop but it only registers about 1 in 3 times i do it...

I won't complain about the AI too much, thats how its always been. 16-bit home versions had softened AI but the arcade was hard as hell. MK2 on PC was also hard as hell. I never was able to beat that game. Getting past Kintaro was a rarity and I never took more than a round off of Shao Kahn. That was also when the home versions had a limited credit system.

I just want them to get these games to a passable state, I'm not even worrying about enhancing them. Remember the heady days when we thought we were going to get a kick ass HD version? I think now we know why they weren't able to pull that off-- they can't even pull off the SD versions.

Apoc87

Banned
Phat Michael said:
its terrible in every way. online, offline - everything. QUOTE]

Jesus. Thank you for your explanation.

I've been waiting a long time for these damn ports. Hopefully they patch it up...

OSHAN

The inputs being fucked is what's annoying me most. My friend and I tried playing this last night, and it is a real shit-show. Pad, TE stick ... doesn't matter. The game doesn't control very well, and I don't recall MK controlling like this.

The input delay after pausing the game is mad annoying as well. I didn't even bother with impressions before buying this -- it's 10 bucks for three MK games -- but man, I really wish I did.

Save your money. It's a slap in the face.

infinityBCRT said:
I won't complain about the AI too much, thats how its always been. 16-bit home versions had softened AI but the arcade was hard as hell. MK2 on PC was also hard as hell. I never was able to beat that game. Getting past Kintaro was a rarity and I never took more than a round off of Shao Kahn. That was also when the home versions had a limited credit system.

I just want them to get these games to a passable state, I'm not even worrying about enhancing them. Remember the heady days when we throught we were going to get a kick ass HD version? I think now we know why they weren't able to pull that off-- they can't even pull off the SD versions.

i dont remember the AI being this bad. i had MK1, 2 etc on SNES and MK3 as well. the problem is we have come to "accept" this as MK AI and we shouldnt. the computer doenst even play by the same rules and its just so frustrating. no matter what i do, i now cant get past shang tsung right now. no matter who i use...its ok if the hard difficulty did this i GUESS but to be "very easy" and still have the same BS tactics? i can only usually beat 2-3 guys before i lose over and over and have to resort to cheap tactics to try and win.

they could have made this so much better - arcade perfect ports with less cheap AI. anyone who has played against Jade in UMK3 knows what i am talking about for sure.

i dont mind boss characters being a bit more difficult but when the 4th person u fight reads your EVERY move and can throw/uppercut you in the middle of a move then i think it realy needs to be addressed.

this game is so frustrating because i remember loving MK so much...i wish this was fun to play but honestly..its probably one of the worst games i own which saddens me as an MK fan.

OSHAN said:
The inputs being fucked is what's annoying me most. My friend and I tried playing this last night, and it is a real shit-show. Pad, TE stick ... doesn't matter. The game doesn't control very well, and I don't recall MK controlling like this.

The input delay after pausing the game is mad annoying as well. I didn't even bother with impressions before buying this -- it's 10 bucks for three MK games -- but man, I really wish I did.

Save your money. It's a slap in the face.
OMG! u get this too? i paused, held block, unpaused, doesnt register and i died.

to me, i cant do ANY of the double tap or triple tap moves on a stick..and the qcf/b moves work 1/3 times for me. im no retard either, im decent at MVC3, SFIV, MK9 etc..

im with u, i didnt even get the demo, i just bought it on blind faith thinking= how can they POSSIBLY fucking up 3 arcade games made in the 90's on this hardware?

MK never controlled like this btw...this version does...i could pull off moves in the arcade and fatalities all the time...ive pulled off 2 fatalities...thats it so far. and i havent been able to finish ANY of the games, not once.

Fantasmo

Try starting as second player. That always made the difficulty easier in the arcades. I don't know why, but it definitely did. Still hard but doable.

OSHAN

Phat Michael said:
OMG! u get this too? i paused, held block, unpaused, doesnt register and i died.

Yep. This game screams "Eh, good enough."

I swear the window for inputting a fatality is even less when you pause the game as well. The FATALITY message will pop, pause game, look at fatality, start game, stand there like an idiot because my dude can't move, he moves, fatality window ends.

What a crock of shit.

yeah and with that - im going to stop complaining. ive unplugged my arcade stick and ill never touch this piece of shit again. there is no point getting this frustrated or trying to do cheap maneuvers when i can play:

- Blazblue
- MK9
- SFIII
- SFIV
- MVC3

which are all fantastic games. well i guess they got their money out of me so thats what matters...there are so many other games to play and im not going to waste my short free time on this.

Phat Michael said:
yeah and with that - im going to stop complaining. ive unplugged my arcade stick and ill never touch this piece of shit again. there is no point getting this frustrated or trying to do cheap maneuvers when i can play:

- Blazblue
- MK9
- SFIII
- SFIV
- MVC3

which are all fantastic games. well i guess they got their money out of me so thats what matters...there are so many other games to play and im not going to waste my short free time on this.

Yeah... but that's besides the point. I'm sure there are people like me out there who aren't really into fighting games but love Mortal Kombat. Unfortunate situation. Can't believe they canned the HD remake FOR THIS.

Cmagus said:
curious to see what Giant bomb thinks they will have a quick look up in an hour and a half.
Live?

I'd love to see an MK1 scrub league, I think it would be entertaining because its probably one of the most accessible fighting games ever made.

Phonomezer said:
Yeah... but that's besides the point. I'm sure there are people like me out there who aren't really into fighting games but love Mortal Kombat. Unfortunate situation. Can't believe they canned the HD remake FOR THIS.

the sad thing is i AM into fighting games and i love MK...and thats why this is such a let down. was so amped for this really and its such a let down. i guess the only time to play it would be 2 player offline coop...but with the inputs being fucked it really DOES make the game totally unplayable.

i liked MK9 but had a soft spot for the older MKs...its a shame i wont be able to play them now, unless i get the PCBs for my supergun..

Xena

Wow, I was going to buy it today, but after reading all this... thanks for the heads up. Will wait to see if it gets patched or something...

Cmagus

infinityBCRT said:
Live?

I'd love to see an MK1 scrub league, I think it would be entertaining because its probably one of the most accessible fighting games ever made.

Probably not aren't they still at PAX? it'll just be a normal quick look

TimeKillr

So does anybody know which MK1 version the game is based on?

There's so many revisions of that game... For example, can you crash the game by doing the Scorpion teleport glitch on Shang Tsung? Can you do infinites in the corner with the fast punch jumpers? (Cage, Kano, Raiden)?

There's SOO much there. I'm guessing it'll probably be based off MK1 1.4, which is just boring as fuck. :)

diffusionx

Gold Member
infinityBCRT said:
Capcom should just re-release STHDR with GGPO and have original sprites as an option. Would that be enough to make ST fans happy?

Am I insane here, or is this a joke post? HDR does have the original sprites as an option... and while it doesn't use GGPO I think, it does use a GGPO-like system... and it's very good. Of all the complaints about HDR, I don't think the multiplayer was one of them (though it was a bit spotty).

Cmagus said:
Probably not aren't they still at PAX? it'll just be a normal quick look
No, its definitely live. That "Coming up on giantbomb" box is for live stuff. They aren't at PAX anymore. They did the Panel there on Friday, were there until Sunday. And then recorded the Bombcast either Monday night or Tuesday morning from their offices.

diffusionx said:
Am I insane here, or is this a joke post? HDR does have the original sprites as an option... and while it doesn't use GGPO I think, it does use a GGPO-like system... and it's very good. Of all the complaints about HDR, I don't think the multiplayer was one of them (though it was a bit spotty).
HDR's original sprites options are shitty from what I remember. Theres no original backgrounds (which is a sticking point) and I don't think there are any filter options for the original sprites either so if you want original sprites you get blurry original sprites on the new backgrounds. I don't think theres an option to filter them or to pixel double them. Been a while since I messed around with that but I do remember they didn't include the original backgrounds because that was back when XBLA had ridiculous size limits.

diffusionx

Gold Member
infinityBCRT said:
HDR's original sprites options are shitty from what I remember. Theres no original backgrounds (which is a sticking point) and I don't think there are any filter options for the original sprites either so if you want original sprites you get blurry original sprites on the new backgrounds. I don't think theres an option to filter them or to pixel double them. Been a while since I messed around with that but I do remember they didn't include the original backgrounds because that was back when XBLA had ridiculous size limits.

Yea, this all sounds right. Fair enough.

Oh wow, even the tips are wrong (giantbomb points one out in their quick look)

Cmagus said:
giant bomb's quick look is up
You were right. I just noticed that when you roll over an item on their calendar it will say LIVE if it is live. I never knew they put up pre-recorded stuff in the calendar too until now.

Cmagus

infinityBCRT said:
Oh wow, even the tips are wrong (giantbomb points one out in their quick look)

You were right. I just noticed that when you roll over an item on their calendar it will say LIVE if it is live. I never knew they put up pre-recorded stuff in the calendar too until now.

Quick looks are always video but they are doing a live thing at 7:00 they are doing MKAK and Street Fighter

Cmagus said:
Quick looks are always video but they are doing a live thing at 7:00 they are doing MKAK and Street Fighter
No, they've done live quick looks before. The day that MK9 came out I think they also Quick looked Socom and Portal 2 and that was all live. Theres been other live Quick looks too. I follow these guys on twitter so I see them post about live QL's once in a while.

GrayFoxPL

I just watched giantbomb gameplay. I couldn't believe when I saw on my own eyes screen tearing on mk1. Online with green bars was such a sad sight.

I wanted mk1 but I wont buy this rushed shit until they fix it.

Screen tear on fucking MK1...Fuck...

For the record, last night I got on UMK3 XBLA (2006 release) and played two games and they ran flawlessly. It brought tears to my eyes.

Phat Michael said:

you uppercut, they throw
u sweep, they throw

What? The enemy AI is cheap as hell in MK II but they have one BIG flaw. All you have to is wait till they get near you and just jump away from them. Most of the times the AI will wait a second and jump towards you. By the time they jump you'll have landed and can pretty much do what you want. High kicks, roundhouse kicks, special moves etc.

The big flaw in MK one AI is that they can't defend jump kicks. At all.

krae_man

Phat Michael said:

Oh god, I remember that happening to me on that Midway Arcade classics game on the PS2. The CPU would duck every projectile with their lightning quick reflexes. I remember being able to beat it by spamming Shiva's Down-Up teleport stomp somehow but playing my normal Sub Zero or Reptile I had no chance.

krae_man said:
Oh god, I remember that happening to me on that Midway Arcade classics game on the PS2. The CPU would duck every projectile with their lightning quick reflexes. I remember being able to beat it by spamming Shiva's Down-Up teleport stomp somehow but playing my normal Sub Zero or Reptile I had no chance.
With UMK3 (which wasn't in MAT) its a little easier to attack due to the jump in with punch combos that you can do.

Emperor Bohe said:
how much people are playing these games online? how hard is it to find a lobby?

longest i had to wait was about 2 minutes, and that was on mk1. there's alot of people playing this online.

Struct09

Thanks to all of our fans who purchased the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection and your continued support. We are aware of the issues with the game and are currently working on a patch to address them for all systems. Our goal is ensure the best gaming experience possible for everyone playing a Mortal Kombat game. Please stay tuned for updates on when a patch will be released.

https://www.facebook.com/MortalKombat/posts/258440340854037

We are aware of issues with the Arcade Kollection and are working to fix them asap. Stay tuned for updates and thanks for your support.

https://twitter.com/MK_MortalKombat/status/109700601239191552

Apoc87

Banned
GAF, I just bought this at midnight central time (against my better judgement and your impressions), ps3, and as soon as i booted up the game for the first time i got an update (1.01 i think , but dont quote me on that), has anyone else got this since they booted the game on last? Or did the kollection update as soon as you guys bought it also?

I played a couple games of mk1 and mk2 on very easy with scorpion. I actually got a little far in mk1, and in both games my spear came out every time. I also couldn't notice any latency or basic inputs misfiring. I didn't try the pause lag thing.

I am using a TE stick that came with mk9.

EDIT: didnt try online either. Sorry, too tired to go back and try either.

Top Bottom