• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - August 31st Release |OT| (almost) Sega Saturn'd

CoryCubed

Is warner bros/netherealm/whoever really being pushed to shove these out before they are done? MK9 had online issues at first to, the iOS UMK3 was missing half the characters, and now the mess of the Kollection. Granted i am sure it will be fixed but what is going on?

arit said:
Filters in action

Hyzj9.jpg

and "cabinet"

0WiJF.jpg

UMK3 secret characters are not playable from the beginning and since new game release and germany is not that good combination to test online performance, I sadly cannot deliver experience. But you can choose between friendly and ranked matches, and private/public, but there seems to be a 2player limit.

UMK3 movelist even lists chaincombos and is usable(at least offline) during finishing phase.
The Cabinet filter really sucks. The scan lines aren't really even and they don't curve the scanlines along with the screen. Not to mention the right side of the screen is clearly cut off.

I was reading up on HLSL and I found one setup of it over at the mameworld forums which looked incredible with MK2:
MK2_HLSL.jpg

it's just a ton of little fixes that could of been done to make it a lot better. From the demo alone the pause delay and the sounds.
I also don't understand why SNK's Fatal Fury Special port on XBLA was the only fighting game to get it right: LET US PUT THE MOVELIST IN THE WIDESCREEN SPACE WHILE PLAYING!!! MK could definitely use this with fatalities.

Eurocult

Been playing this over the last few days. Trying REALLY hard to enjoy it. I used to play 1 & 2 back in the arcade days & I consider myself an above average player. Couple of things I noticed:

*The AI is very close to how it was back in the day, it really is that difficult, but like any AI, there are patterns & can be easily beaten when figured out.

*the online lag makes the game almost unplayable, hopefully that patch will fix it

*Why is there no 'rematch' option? Even after I hit 'continue' It literally goes back to the 'find an online game' screen. What if I want to keep playing the same person over and over? Am I missing something?

*Find a way to punish people who leave a match right before they lose. This keeps happening to me. So fucking frustrating!

Eurocult

Persona7 said:
I bought this game the day it came out but have not had time to play it yet.

It plays fine offline, right?

offline seems to play fine to me, but I've only spent time with 1 & 2.

Eurocult said:
Been playing this over the last few days. Trying REALLY hard to enjoy it. I used to play 1 & 2 back in the arcade days & I consider myself an above average player. Couple of things I noticed:

*Why is there no 'rematch' option? Even after I hit 'continue' It literally goes back to the 'find an online game' screen. What if I want to keep playing the same person over and over? Am I missing something?
I know ranked games don't have rematch because thats how ranked games are supposed to work. Dunno about player matches (haven't paid attention)

Persona7 said:
I bought this game the day it came out but have not had time to play it yet.

It plays fine offline, right?
Theres some frame drop issues. You probably won't notice if you're a casual player but tournament level players are noticing that some of the stuff that they do is whiffing due to a little bit of input lag. Theres also screen tearing and a bunch of audio issues.

----

On another note I was playing the DS version of UMK3 by Other Ocean last night. Some people praise that version as being very good but I found that it had one big issue-- the AI Sheeva can literally do an infinite stomp combo on you. I don't know if you can do that as well, but I definitely don't remember that happening in any other version of MK3 or UMK3 that I've ever played.

SkylineRKR

I like this collection for what its worth, UMK3 (the one I care most about) seems to be reasonably faithful to the original arcade version. The AI is really the same as it was in the arcade, and it will eventually enter sitting duck mode after about 10 losses on your side. The best news is that the ultimate kombat kodes do get saved this time. I didn't have to redo them yet.

GrayFoxPL

You guys lied to me.

I was so afraid to buy this based on comments but couldn't help myself and got it anyway.

Games look great. Loadings are short. MK2 is way better version then old psn one, controls are way more responsive.
"Heavy" mk1 controls are also like there were. Lol at ai whine, these are arcade games. Should they change the legendary robotic ai because you guys pussy out?
So happy there's no screen tear in psn version, I'm sensitive about this and I saw it in giantbomb that played 360 version.

So far I only had bugs in ultimatemk3 where the game freezed on shao khan fight.

Online mode is so bugged I couldn't count all the glitches. But even performance isn't that bad. Little better then kofXII. MK1 matches run pretty good for me, it's very playable. MK2 is worse and Ultimate is the bottom, probably because of speed of those games.
Still one good thing is that I prefer slow motion to input lag, so I still have some fun.

So, I'm not disappointed generally.

MK fucking One!

Edit: Number of fucking ragequitters! Fuck those cowards!

ArjanN

GrayFoxPL said:
You guys lied to me.

I was so afraid to buy this based on comments but couldn't help myself and got it anyway.

Games look great. Loadings are short. MK2 is way better version then old psn one, controls are way more responsive.
"Heavy" mk1 controls are also like there were. Lol at ai whine, these are arcade games. Should they change the legendary robotic ai because you guys pussy out?
So happy there's no screen tear in psn version, I'm sensitive about this and I saw it in giantbomb that played 360 version.

So far I only had bugs in ultimatemk3 where the game freezed on shao khan fight.

Online mode is so bugged I couldn't count all the glitches. But even performance isn't that bad. Little better then kofXII. MK1 matches run pretty good for me, it's very playable. MK2 is worse and Ultimate is the bottom, probably because of speed of those games.
Still one good thing is that I prefer slow motion to input lag, so I still have some fun.

So, I'm not disappointed generally.

MK fucking One!

I feel like this collection could still be really good after a couple of patches.

GrayFoxPL

infinityBCRT said:
I was reading up on HLSL and I found one setup of it over at the mameworld forums which looked incredible with MK2:
MK2_HLSL.jpg

This is monitor dot matrix filter + really low brightness +ridiculously high saturation.

I wish all dlc arcade games had monitor dot matrix filter.

GrayFoxPL said:
This is monitor dot matrix filter + really low brightness +ridiculously high saturation.

I wish all dlc arcade games had monitor dot matrix filter.
The filter itself has tons of customization options. Its a little more complicated than you're making it sound. Theres also an NTSC colour filter going on which is why it looks darker and more saturated. Maybe the saturation is a bit extreme there but thats closer to how the game should look. More on the brightness in just a bit...

As far as the Kollection goes...
Games look great.
Except for the screen tearing (at least on the 360 version)... and the fact that you can't change the dimensions of the screen (which is an option in literally every other version of MK1-2-3 released in the last decade along with most emulated games in general).

Also they don't compensate for the way the brightness/contrast/gamma is on a real Arcade monitor (something which the 2006 UMK3 release did). The blacks are actually crushed on a real arcade monitor. So you get some sprites look more washed out than they should here. The UMK3 cavern stage has dark grey sprites that smoothly blend into the background when displayed correctly but in this Kollection the sprites just look like cutouts. MK3 characters look washed out compared to UMK3 characters here too, another difference that wouldn't be seen on a real arcade monitor or the 2006 UMK3 release. When MK1 ninjas crouch block that sprite also looks super washed out.

MK2 is way better version then old psn one, controls are way more responsive.
I'm by no means a tourny player but I think a lot of people from testyourmight and classicmk would not agree that the controls are responsive here. They have been reporting slight input lag or dropped inputs and weird framerates at the very least on the PS3 version.

The big issues with MK2 on PSN were that the online was super basic (and here the online is just as basic) and you couldn't use the start button at all because it was tied to the menu.

"Heavy" mk1 controls are also like there were.
I don't think anyone is complaining about MK1-- it probably fares the best in this collection because it is the slowest paced game. That being said, apparently the game speed is faster here than it should be. Its been described as "MK1 Turbo" by some.

Lol at ai whine, these are arcade games. Should they change the legendary robotic ai because you guys pussy out?
People who want an arcade accurate port aren't complaining about this.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was an original bug from the arcade game. The biggest problem with the offline game is all of the sound bugs though. Music stops in some places (like the goro attract screen), sometimes sound effects keep looping, sub-zero's mk2 freeze sound effect is glitched, some sound effects have been changed and stand out because they are way higher fidelity than others, the MK1 clapping sound sucks now, etc. Sometimes it also sounds like theres a slight break between parts of music that loop like the MK2 select screen (could be like that in the original game though-- haven't checked). In UMK3 Scorpion/Smoke's Get Over Here/Come Here get cut off. Its something that happened in the original arcade version, but something that they fixed in the 2006 XBLA release and something that should've been fixed here.

Performance is playable for MK1, but its absolute garbage for MK2 and MK3. I mean, sometimes I'd get in bad MK2 PSN or bad UMK3 XBLA games, but in general those games run way better than even MK1 does in this package.

You can let some of the glitches and oversights slide if you're not a hardcore fan, but man, imagine if Bungie treated Halo CE like this or if Capcom treated Third Strike Online like this. Those are hallowed franchises that get treated with the respect they deserve by their own developers. NRS needs to do the same.

GrayFoxPL

You should try psn version. Played hours online and offline and 99% of glitches happened online. Didn't encounter audio glitches/stutter in offline in mk1/2. Ultimate, like I said is little glitchy in current state.

I'm telling you this mame setup is messed up, real arcade mk's were dark but not that dark and definitely not that saturnated, it's crazy. You got to fiddle a little with screen settings to make this kollektion look right, but is worth it and doesn't take long. So I fixed the overdone brightness in minutes. I see no problem.

Edit: Third Strike Online glitches, less then desirable ggpo performance and clusterfuck matchmaking is nothing for Capcom to be proud about either. Here at least I can get mk1 matches going every minute or two, not 10 like in 3S

GrayFoxPL said:
You should try psn version. Played hours online and offline and 99% of glitches happened online. Didn't encounter audio glitches/stutter in offline in mk1/2. Ultimate, like I said is little glitchy in current state.
Now you're just trolling, lol. MK2 sub-zero freeze. Every freaking time it glitches. MK2 kung lao hat effect is different and stands out because of the fidelity. Same with MK1 clapping. MK2 credits are screwed up. In MK1 sometimes the announcer voice gets cut off. I believe theres an issue with the knock down sound effect sounding like a block sound effect or vice versa. Again, issues that might not bother someone who is coming to this casually but if you are someone who loves these games and played the shit out of them its annoying and its a sloppy job on the part of Other Ocean and NRS in general. Theres something wrong with what they are doing when, after a decade of having hardware out there which is fully capable of emulating these games perfectly, they still can't get the games to be perfect. Forget about even enhancing them, just get the games right.

I'm telling you this mame setup is messed up, real arcade mk's were dark but not that dark and definitely not that saturnated, it's crazy.
That was just an example. Like I said, it can be tweaked and I don't really expect anyone to have this in their emulation just yet because its so new to Mame. This was really just a tangent. But I'll flip my lid when someone does finally implement that style of filter correctly into an emulated game. (btw this post illustrates some of the differences with the way a CRT displays an image. As you can tell it is darker and more saturated, not to the extent as the image I posted but it is nonetheless)

You got to fiddle a little with screen settings to make this kollektion look right, but is worth it and doesn't take long. So I fixed the overdone brightness in minutes. I see no problem.
Thats fine but you're cutting some major slack to them. The game should look fine on an isf calibrated TV. You shouldn't have to tinker with your brightness/contrast settings AT ALL.

Edit: Third Strike Online glitches, less then desirable ggpo performance and clusterfuck matchmaking is nothing for Capcom to be proud about either. Here at least I can get mk1 matches going every minute or two, not 10 like in 3S
Online is fine, the matchmaking is an issue (and something which I also took issue with in my review) but once you get into a game the experience is great, and I'd rather have that than have what MKAK does. I used to play MK all the time with my brother, but I just cannot recommend him to buy MKAK because the online experience is shit. Unfortunately hes not a big SF guy, but if he was we'd have absolutely no issue playing online despite him being across the continent from me.

GrayFoxPL

infinityBCRT said:
Now you're just trolling, lol. MK2 sub-zero freeze. Every freaking time it glitches. MK2 kung lao hat effect is different and stands out because of the fidelity. Same with MK1 clapping. MK2 credits are screwed up. In MK1 sometimes the announcer voice gets cut off. I believe theres an issue with the knock down sound effect sounding like a block sound effect or vice versa. Again, issues that might not bother someone who is coming to this casually but if you are someone who loves these games and played the shit out of them its annoying and its a sloppy job on the part of Other Ocean and NRS in general. Theres something wrong with what they are doing when, after a decade of having hardware out there which is fully capable of emulating these games perfectly, they still can't get the games to be perfect. Forget about even enhancing them, just get the games right.
Stop with the elitist tone, will ya? I don't need to prove my devotion to games to anyone nor I demand it it from anyone else. I'm a mk fan, just not anal about a ports anymore.
I was a game purist before until I realized I can never be happy like that. Always finding imperfections, never satisfied. That's why I quit the emulation scene many years ago. Spent hours and hours tunning every little thing, dibbling in every little shit in emulators per game, trying to get maximum performance and "arcade/console/computer perfect quality. Then I played the game for 20 minutes, found another thing that bugged me and back to the drawing board. I finally realized I'm wasting my time. I just wanted to play games and turned into obsessive engineer.
MKKollection wise I never said these are arcade perfect ports, just better then some people made them sound. While playing mk2 offline I was seeking gameplay, framerate maybe gfx glitches, not that Sub-Zero does: "Wooosh-oosh!" instead of just "Woooosh!". The horror. From my playtime I found the most important thing is in it's place-game runs smooth and gameplay is slick like always. What I find interesting is that the sound glitch seems to bug you more then screen tearing. There are few things I can't forgive thats screen tear in a fg. I almost gave up on buying this because I was positive both versions are the same, or ps3 version is worse like it usually went with ports. Alas it's not the case. It may sound like I'm bashing Live version of mkk but ffs it has screen tearing in early nineties game! Too sad to be even funny. So maybe before throwing about "trolling" and "casuals" you should first play the better port of the two. Who knows maybe even you'll be surprised how well runs?

Thats fine but you're cutting some major slack to them. The game should look fine on an isf calibrated TV. You shouldn't have to tinker with your brightness/contrast settings AT ALL.
You're right, I shouldn't have to, yet there are no two games with the same gamma, brightness, contrast settings and those funny "not visible,barely visible, visible" screens differ from game to game. You've not caught yourself adjusting this thing on game to game basis?
Mkk sin is not having these options in game. I had to do them with remote.(It broke my soul...not really.)

Online is fine, the matchmaking is an issue (and something which I also took issue with in my review) but once you get into a game the experience is great, and I'd rather have that than have what MKAK does. I used to play MK all the time with my brother, but I just cannot recommend him to buy MKAK because the online experience is shit. Unfortunately hes not a big SF guy, but if he was we'd have absolutely no issue playing online despite him being across the continent from me.

Not everyone is happy with 3rdstrike online, check the official thread. Not only matchmaking but rollback, instances when you can't be certain of hit confirms because Ryu recovers in the middle of hitstun and fucks you up, or when sound effects lie - where block sfx should be there's hit sfx or vice versa. Mindfuck. I'm not saying gppo is bad, but it's implementation in this port is not that great. Not saying mkonline is any rival, it's only little better then kofxii, and only good for mk1. Online aside OE is not a perfect port: when I pointed out that 3strike EX inputs are messed up not only many gaffers confirmed it but also outside sources.
Now tell honestly what is worse glitch for the game/gameplay: Unreliable EX move input or Sub-Zero making "Wooosh-oosh"?

Anyway. Just bought neogeo station Kof95 - now that's how you do arcade ports. It shits on everything else "big boys" did. My impressions in kofxiii thread.

AnEternalEnigma said:
UMK3 was easy mode compared to MKII.

really? I can still destroy mk2, but i die instantly in umk3. At that point, I was more interested in Tekken/Soul Calibur/VF etc. so I probably didn't play much UMK3.

I spent years playing MK1 and MK2 though (from beta tests in chicago through to the next sequel for each game), so I had those memorized. MK3 I played for a little, UMK3 barely ever, MK4 maybe 5 times in the arcade.

GrayFoxPL

Smision said:
really? I can still destroy mk2, but i die instantly in umk3. At that point, I was more interested in Tekken/Soul Calibur/VF etc. so I probably didn't play much UMK3.

I spent years playing MK1 and MK2 though (from beta tests in chicago through to the next sequel for each game), so I had those memorized. MK3 I played for a little, UMK3 barely ever, MK4 maybe 5 times in the arcade.

I remember back in the day some people played mk2 from the get go like they were programed to beat it. I was definitely not, lol.

SkylineRKR

Phonomezer said:
I die continuously EVERY time I hit Jade in UMK3. That AI is a complete bitch to work around.

The CPU will ultimately stop harrassing you and basically give you a free win. But it just wants a lot of your coins first.

Also read about quite some love for MK4 here and am pleased. I greatly enjoyed that game. I played it in the arcade quite a lot of times, ours had version 1.0 which was a fucking train wreck without a proper boss, no Reiko among others and lot of fatalities missing. But it was still fun, mashy but fun. Gameplay was responsive and fatalities were pretty brutal also. Also had a great time on someones N64 later on, which likely held the best port of MK4. DC version didn't cut it somehow.

GrayFoxPL said:
I don't need to prove my devotion to games to anyone nor I demand it it from anyone else. I'm a mk fan, just not anal about a ports anymore.
You don't need to. I wasn't talking down to you. I just think its a shitty job and they should take more care of their older games. If someone in the chain of command for the MKAK actually was passionate about that project, these problems wouldn't have been there. And its not like I'm asking for them to do something expensive, like enhance the game. These problems would have been easy to fix.

I was a game purist before until I realized I can never be happy like that. Always finding imperfections, never satisfied. That's why I quit the emulation scene many years ago. Spent hours and hours tunning every little thing, dibbling in every little shit in emulators per game, trying to get maximum performance and "arcade/console/computer perfect quality. Then I played the game for 20 minutes, found another thing that bugged me and back to the drawing board. I finally realized I'm wasting my time. I just wanted to play games and turned into obsessive engineer.
I am an engineer, so maybe thats my problem. :p

MKKollection wise I never said these are arcade perfect ports, just better then some people made them sound.
Right, but they sold them as Arcade perfect ports.

While playing mk2 offline I was seeking gameplay, framerate maybe gfx glitches, not that Sub-Zero does: "Wooosh-oosh!" instead of just "Woooosh!". The horror.
Would you feel the same way if MGSHD Collection had the same issue? What if some codec dialog had this problem? To me, its just not the definitive version of these games when it should be. I just know these games so well and I know its wrong and it stands out. And thats just one of the issues.

From my playtime I found the most important thing is in it's place-game runs smooth and gameplay is slick like always. What I find interesting is that the sound glitch seems to bug you more then screen tearing. There are few things I can't forgive thats screen tear in a fg.
I don't like the screen tearing either. Its absolutely stupid that these games which are almost 20 years old have screen tearing. But the fact that theres screen tearing could also mean that theres some form of input lag likely happening which is even worse.

So maybe before throwing about "trolling" and "casuals" you should first play the better port of the two. Who knows maybe even you'll be surprised how well runs?
I was just joking about the trolling part. I totally believe that you're fine with this.

I'm not, and a lot of the guys who are even more serious about MK than me (TRMK, TYM, UMK, ClassicMK, etc) are even more pissed.

You're right, I shouldn't have to, yet there are no two games with the same gamma, brightness, contrast settings and those funny "not visible,barely visible, visible" screens differ from game to game. You've not caught yourself adjusting this thing on game to game basis?
Actually I don't. If the people responsible behind art direction are doing their job on a game they should be testing the game on calibrated screens and making sure it looks good on calibrated screens. I seriously have not touched a single brightness or contrast dial since I've done proper calibration. I guess you could call me a videophile which may also be my problem, heh.

The only problems I've ever had is playing PS2 games on a PS3. The gamma is a lot higher on PS2 for some reason. But between TV, Movies, PS3 and 360 everything looks pretty much spot on after the calibration. I think 360 games can sometimes be slightly more saturated, but thats because the 360 does some post-processing to the image. I think game developers have keyed into that in recent years and adjust the image to negate effect that if possible.
Not everyone is happy with 3rdstrike online, check the official thread. Not only matchmaking but rollback, instances when you can't be certain of hit confirms because Ryu recovers in the middle of hitstun and fucks you up, or when sound effects lie - where block sfx should be there's hit sfx or vice versa. Mindfuck. I'm not saying gppo is bad, but it's implementation in this port is not that great. Not saying mkonline is any rival, it's only little better then kofxii, and only good for mk1. Online aside OE is not a perfect port: when I pointed out that 3strike EX inputs are messed up not only many gaffers confirmed it but also outside sources.
Is this the PS3 version? I've heard PS3 versions of all Capcom games have input problems. Its true you can't be certain of hit confirms at times, part of the problem is SF is such a fast game. MK wouldn't have the same issue at all because its a lot slower.

Now tell honestly what is worse glitch for the game/gameplay: Unreliable EX move input or Sub-Zero making "Wooosh-oosh"?
They are both bad. I like the look and feel of MK just as much as I like playing it. MK is a little special to me because I've always liked the lore and the music and sounds. So if anything is wrong it bothers me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
any word on the PC release date?

Phonomezer said:
I die continuously EVERY time I hit Jade in UMK3. That AI is a complete bitch to work around.

let me guess - u throw fireball, she pre-empts, flashes white, runs through it. then kicks you lots or jumps and kicks when u jump. Jade Wins.

You guys do know that UMK3 has some seriously easy to exploit AI, right? It's literally so rigid that you can force it to play right into your hands.

There are still some characters that have a hard time with other certain ones, but Jade is a piece of cake against, say, Sindel, Sonya, Kung Lao, Jax, Sheeva, or any of the Lin Kuei cyborgs.

so I finally took the plunge and purchased this game on the 360. I beat the first Mortal Kombat on arcade mode and when I was on the "Congratulations you beat Shang Tsung" screen I accidentally pushed the start button. The game brought me to the character select screen and I didn't get the achievement. what the fuck?!??!? very dissapointed

Emperor Bohe said:
so I finally took the plunge and purchased this game on the 360. I beat the first Mortal Kombat on arcade mode and when I was on the "Congratulations you beat Shang Tsung" screen I accidentally pushed the start button. The game brought me to the character select screen and I didn't get the achievement. what the fuck?!??!? very dissapointed

You have to watch the credits.

MoFuzz

So.... no patch, no PC version and not even so much as an update. I hate to say it, but...

LOLOLOL, Netherealm

Nabs

Strider2K99 said:
Just thought about this, it's already mid-October and no PC version in sight. What ever happened to that?

They did me a huge favor. I was set to buy it on day 1 (along with a few others), but now that'll never happen. I'm going to stick with the superior Dong Dong Never Die.

Top Bottom