• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Man fuck this game. All I want to do is play online against my friend and I can't even do that because it refuses to connect us. At least Marvel didn't screw that up.

Teknoman

Lost Fragment said:
The bosses in this game are more like Mega Man bosses than fighting game bosses. Usually fighting game bosses just have a bunch of BS tools and the AI cranks up the difficulty and goes mad random. In MK however, the bosses are designed with certain patterns and holes that you're specifically supposed to take advantage of. If you attack when you're not supposed to, you're gonna get hit you with some super armor BS.

So man up and use your brain. It's people who just want to get to a boss, press a button, and watch them fall over that make it so hard for me to find games that are actually challenging these days.

This. Look at whats not working, then try to form a different pattern based strategy.

shadyspace said:
I don't get why
the elder gods up and decided to intervene and lend Raiden their power. He fucking kills Liu Kang to prevent Shao Kahn from being beaten (even though a mortal kombat wasn't taking place?) and then the elder gods make him super sayian and he beats Shao Kahn. What?

In the original timeline Liu Kang fought and defeated Shao Kahn. However Shao Kahn survived and eventually became the last man standing at the end of armaggedon. In order to prevent that from happening raiden stopped liu kang from confronting kahn and allowed Kahn to enter earthrealm. This was a violation of the rules agreed upon by Earth/outworld/elder gods so the elder gods gave their power to raiden to destroy Kahn forever.

The rule was that Kahn was not allowed to merge the realms (invasion is fair game) at the end of the story Kahn is arrogant enough to think he has become so powerful that he can now merge without the elder gods getting in the way.

d0c_zaius

Just beat it.

Pretty impressive story mode (especially for a fighter). MK nerds will have a field day with all the references and redone old stuff. I really REALLY hate the handicap and Khan fights. Seriously those are fucking stupid.

I also think the krypt is a really lame way to unlock stuff. Its drawn out, overly elaborate and a big time waster. Would it really have been so bad to scrap that whole concept and put the money towards net code development?

Considering I really didnt like the MK series after 3, this game has done a lot right besides what I previously complain about. The scope of content and the way they looked at doing some stuff differently really stands out, and I think the team did a pretty good job of returning the MK series to something focused and entertaining.

Anticitizen One said:
In the original timeline Liu Kang fought and defeated Shao Kahn. However Shao Kahn survived and eventually became the last man standing at the end of armaggedon. In order to prevent that from happening raiden stopped liu kang from confronting kahn and allowed Kahn to enter earthrealm. This was a violation of the tournament rules so the elder gods gave their power to raiden to destroy Kahn forever.

I get all that. But Shao Kahn was already in Earthrealm, he was right there on top of a skyscraper when Liu Kang tries to run up on him. Plus, there wasn't a mortal kombat taking place, it was an invasion because of the loophole Quan Chi engineered by resurrecting Sindel. They didn't make an apparent reason for why the elder gods intervened. Raiden just started getting his ass kicked, then begged, then got souped up. There was no gambit Raiden pulled off that he had to prevent Liu Kang from ruining. Shit just happened.

LowParry

Kusagari said:
Man fuck this game. All I want to do is play online against my friend and I can't even do that because it refuses to connect us. At least Marvel didn't screw that up.

I'd like to see you play Marvel right now ;) That is, if you're speaking of the PS3. If not, nooooo idea.

shadyspace said:
I get all that. But Shao Kahn was already in Earthrealm, he was right there on top of a skyscraper when Liu Kang tries to run up on him. Plus, there wasn't a mortal kombat taking place, it was an invasion because of the loophole Quan Chi engineered by resurrecting Sindel. They didn't make an apparent reason for why the elder gods intervened. Raiden just started getting his ass kicked, then begged, then got souped up. There was no gambit Raiden pulled off that he had to prevent Liu Kang from ruining. Shit just happened.

The only thing Qua Chi did was remove the barrier that prevented Shao Kahn from entering Earthrealm at all. Once it was removed Kahn was able to invade Earthrealm, but invasion is outright forbidden and that's why Raiden let Kahn enter to begin with. You can step into another realm at any time and do whatever, but you may suffer the wrath of the Elder Gods if you're a jerk about it. That's the entire point of the MK tournaments.

Kusagari

CcrooK said:
I'd like to see you play Marvel right now ;) That is, if you're speaking of the PS3. If not, nooooo idea.

I have both on 360 so I can play Mahvel whenever I want ;).

Me and my friend can find player matches, join lobbies, etc but whenever we try to connect to each other for a private match it says lobby no longer available.

LowParry

Kusagari said:
I have both on 360 so I can play Mahvel whenever I want ;).

Me and my friend can find player matches, join lobbies, etc but whenever we try to connect to each other for a private match it says lobby no longer available.

Psh, at least you can play.

hikarutilmitt said:
The only thing Qua Chi did was remove the barrier that prevented Shao Kahn from entering Earthrealm at all. Once it was removed Kahn was able to invade Earthrealm, but invasion is outright forbidden and that's why Raiden let Kahn enter to begin with. You can step into another realm at any time and do whatever, but you may suffer the wrath of the Elder Gods if you're a jerk about it. That's the entire point of the MK tournaments.

I thought the entire point of the invasion was that it was a loophole around the tournaments. Hmm, so basically Quan Chi convinced Shao Kahn to invade by assuring him the elder gods wouldn't intervene so he'd get busted and his plan with Shinnok could begin to take shape?

methos75

Banned
hikarutilmitt said:

Not true, remember that the Elder Gods specifically said that Mortal Kombat only kept the Realms balanced and that it was the merging of them that posed an issue, they stated that the invasion of Earthrealm was not forbidden and that they would not interfere. I really think they gave Raiden powers only because Khan taunted them and called them weak, provoking a response from them.

LowParry

Wait wait. Invasion.
I thought it was bypassed by having Sindel resurrected because of some pact she made after her death or what not. Am I missing something?

CcrooK said:
Wait wait. Invasion.
I thought it was bypassed by having Sindel resurrected because of some pact she made after her death or what not. Am I missing something?

Sindel somehow made it before her death that Shao Kahn could not invade Earthrealm. Quan Chi resurrects her under his control and has her do away with that. At least, that's how I understood it.

Kimosabae

Banned
Lost Fragment gets it. The amount of bitching regarding Kahn is bananas. I don't think either incarnation took me more than 10 tries or more than 12-15 minutes. I don't consider that an unreasonable investment in time or energy at all.

Once I realized I couldn't be as mindless regarding Kahn as every other CPU character: I held back the tears, shoved aside any sense of entitlement I'd developed up 'till that point, and simply put my brain to work.

That's hard for some to do, apparently.

Kahn was clearly designed to beaten - the fucking guy taunts you intermittently from full screen.

Funny thing is: were Kahn as beatable as the rest of the AI there'd be nothing but bitching regarding how insignificant/unsatisfactory he felt in the context of the Story Mode's gameplay.

Fighting game developers just can't win.

methos75

Banned
I personally do not see why people think Khan is hard, you can spam the hell out of him with cheap tactics like Jump punch into a Uppercut or X-Ray move, he is easily set up and trapped into projective spam traps, and if a character can teleport its game over with Teleport into combo spamming.

Aske

So has anyone mentioned the mystery -ality hinted at by the KE guide?

The reference cards list three Fatalities (2 regular and 1 stage) but beneath those there are two bLank spaces for the user to fill in with secret additional finishers. One space is obviously for the
Babality
, but the other is a mystery. It could be for the classic fatalities, if every character has one/will get one via DLC. Or the cards could be ignoring the three classic fatalities since they only apply to a few characters, and the spaces have been provided for a new kind of finisher that every character will get.

I hope Brutalities make a return at some point...

I just did the first 11 chapters of story mode in one sitting. GOD DAMN THIS IS GOOD SHIT.

Declaring it now, Mortal Kombat has more compelling single player than Portal 2.

Dreavus

I'm sure it's been asked, but how do saves work in this game? I'm assuming unlocking characters is just tied to your save, so you don't get to take anything with you if you play the game on another system? (barring psn plus cloud saves).

Shakala

Absoludacrous said:
Hard to do with lag. I can run 30-40% combos all day in training, but once you're online timing goes out the window.
Truth!

Does anyone love stryker like I do? He gets so nice that he's one of my mains

Aske said:
So has anyone mentioned the mystery -ality hinted at by the KE guide?

The reference cards list three Fatalities (2 regular and 1 stage) but beneath those there are two bLank spaces for the user to fill in with secret additional finishers. One space is obviously for the
Babality
, but the other is a mystery. It could be for the classic fatalities, if every character has one/will get one via DLC. Or the cards could be ignoring the three classic fatalities since they only apply to a few characters, and the spaces have been provided for a new kind of finisher that every character will get.

I hope Brutalities make a return at some point...
I read somewhere that the voice files announcing a brutality were found in the game

Kimosabae said:
Lost Fragment gets it. The amount of bitching regarding Kahn is bananas. I don't think either incarnation took me more than 10 tries or more than 12-15 minutes. I don't consider that an unreasonable investment in time or energy at all.

Once I realized I couldn't be as mindless regarding Kahn as every other CPU character: I held back the tears, shoved aside any sense of entitlement I'd developed up 'till that point, and simply put my brain to work.

That's hard for some to do, apparently.

Kahn was clearly designed to beaten - the fucking guy taunts you intermittently from full screen.

Funny thing is: were Kahn as beatable as the rest of the AI there'd be nothing but bitching regarding how insignificant/unsatisfactory he felt in the context of the Story Mode's gameplay.

Fighting game developers just can't win.

Oh, bullshit.

You can make a satisfactory boss battle, without forcing players to adopt cheesy fighting tactics.

Moofers

Finding it hard not to sell something in order to afford the TE of this game. Blood, sperm, plasma, sexual favors, whatever. I just have the game rented right now and its two days overdue because I don't want to take it back. Gotta come up with some way to buy it, dammit! Netherrealm needs mah monies and ah needs Mortal Kombats! Cuz I need MK in my life, just like the eagle needs to fly!

Kimosabae

Banned
The Antitype said:
Oh, bullshit.

You can make a satisfactory boss battle, without forcing players to adopt cheesy fighting tactics.

lol, WTF?

You realize you're referring to fighting an AI? You've clearly attached an emotional significance to beating it that it can't observe.

Terminator: "[pauses] Why do you cry?
John: "You mean people?
Terminator: Yes.
John: I don't know. We just cry. You know. When it hurts.
Terminator: Pain causes it?
John: Uh-unh, no, it's different… It's when there's nothing wrong with you but you hurt anyways. You get it?

Terminator: No.

cry-1.jpg

Kahn/Arnold don't play by your petty house-rules.

NewLib

Banned
The Antitype said:
Oh, bullshit.

I dont think there has ever been a satisfactory boss battle in the history of fighting games.

Then again, I dont disagree that MK9 bosses were pretty cheap even compared to other fighting games bosses.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Barakka's usually my dude in these games, but man.. Liu Kang is so much fun in this game. I swear he was never this much fun to play in previous games. Just wish his X-Ray was better

Fighting game bosses (AI in general) universally require "cheap" tactics to beat them. You're talking about an opponent that knows precisely when you're pressing a button, precisely when you're blocking, and precisely when you start jumping but never blocks your sweep.

Glass Joe

TommyManberg said:
I think it would be a better fight if they took away his invincible frames.

I'm not sure they're "invincible" frames, I think he's still getting hurt. You're just getting hit too instead of knocking him back like usual. It's like the game says he's gonna follow through on his attack no matter what. I noticed the same thing on Goro/Kintaro and I still seemed to be causing damage in those instances. With Kahn it's less obvious to tell because he takes so many hits. I could be wrong though, maybe someone can confirm/deny. Maybe just chip damage? Or maybe I'm crazy.

Kimosabae said:
lol, WTF?

You realize you're referring to fighting an AI? You've clearly attached an emotional significance to beating it that it can't observe.

No. I just like competent game design.

This game lacks it.

DRE Fei

For the people trying to unlock all the endings quickly, just play tag ladder to get 2 endings unlocked at a time. Beginner difficulty helps too.

LowParry

God's Beard said:
I just did the first 11 chapters of story mode in one sitting. GOD DAMN THIS IS GOOD SHIT.

Declaring it now, Mortal Kombat has more compelling single player than Portal 2.

The last couple of chapters are pretty damn good. And this is a fighting game. Fighting. Game!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Glass Joe said:
I'm not sure they're "invincible" frames, I think he's still getting hurt. You're just getting hit too instead of knocking him back like usual. It's like the game says he's gonna follow through on his attack no matter what. I noticed the same thing on Goro/Kintaro and I still seemed to be causing damage in those instances. With Kahn it's less obvious to tell because he takes so many hits. I could be wrong though, maybe someone can confirm/deny. Maybe just chip damage? Or maybe I'm crazy.

Yea it's like the "Rage" mode in MK vs. DC. They take the hit but there is no hitstun or reaction to it.

The Antitype said:

This game lacks it.

The game design is fine. The Shao Kahn boss fight isn't THAT bad. It's to be excpected actually. It's kind of a staple in MK. Should they have maybe tried to make it a more "fair" fight? Maybe but then again wouldn't that kind of defeat the idea that Kahn is this unstoppable force? I mean, I know it's cheap but it gets the point across. I think he's suppose to really piss you off at first. But when you figure him out he's very easy.

I think bosses in other fighting games are way cheaper.

george_us

Teknopathetic said:
Fighting game bosses (AI in general) universally require "cheap" tactics to beat them. You're talking about an opponent that knows precisely when you're pressing a button, precisely when you're blocking, and precisely when you start jumping but never blocks your sweep.
This is all true but it honestly wouldn't be a MK game without this kind of stuff. Kind of like SF not having an infuriatingly cheap boss that you have to jab to death to kill or some shit.

george_us said:
This is all true but it honestly wouldn't be a MK game without this kind of stuff. Kind of like SF not having an infuriatingly cheap boss that you have to jab to death to kill or some shit.

lulz. Yeah, dude should play Vanilla Seth and get back to us.

Glass Joe

The Antitype said:

This game lacks it.

Imagine an imposing dragon that a hero is of course no match for. That's Shao Kahn. But the observant hero finds a flaw, a missing scale on the dragon's belly. The hero's only chance to defeat it is to shoot that weak spot with an arrow. The final battle here is pretty much that.

Can't believe I'm defending it somewhat now (and I'm not sure I am, really), but it's a perspective thing. The developers obviously like that scenario and have been doing it for better or worse since the original MK1. The one thing a fan should not be is surprised. It *IS* pretty satisfying when you finally beat it though.

Okay, WTF is the deal with Challenge Tower 53?

How the fuck do they expect me to use Cyrax's fatality if I can't even fucking tag him in?!

Glass Joe

lazybones18 said:
Okay, WTF is the deal with Challenge Tower 53?

How the fuck do they expect me to use Cyrax's fatality if I can't even fucking tag him in?!

Hitting the enemy enough gives Cyrax body parts. Do the battle normally and Cyrax will eventually have a full bar of health, then tag him in.

Glass Joe said:
Hitting the enemy enough gives Cyrax body parts. Do the battle normally and Cyrax will eventually have a full bar of health, then tag him in.

Finished the challenge using Sektor's fatality instead. And I tried tagging Cyrax once he returned to normal. He was only there for a brief second before I was forced to use Sektor

EDIT: Holy shit, there's no way I'll ever pull these things off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrpyn7AWgkk
&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe-JJSz_5iE
&
http://www.justin.tv/cill42/b/284220390
Even as a baby, Shao Khan still insults you. What a dick :p

RedAssedApe

Banned
Was it just me or did the CPU get extremely easy during the Kung Lao portion of the game? Or is Kung Lao just that much of a beast? I feel like NRS trolled me. Making me feel like a badass for several matches in a row and then just like that
shao kahn kills me
LOL

Just got the game last night. I still can't believe how good the story mode is. I am actually having fun playing story mode in a fighting game haha. Online is strange I can play with some friends while others I can't connect to them or even see the lobbies they create.

S1kkZ

what the hell is going on with the fatalites on 360? since the patch there was a soundbug, now some fatalities have to load für 1-2 seconds?!

tried it on a different 360, same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom