• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xater said:
So what does this tier list look like? I would be very interested to see their ranking.

I don't have the guide on me cuz I'm at work, but off the top of my head...the top couple of kombatants in the list were:

Shang Tsung
Raiden
Kung Lao
Nightwolf

The lowest are:

Kratos
Baraka
Sheeva

JimiNutz

Banned
xbulletholes said:
did anyone preorder from amazon.co.uk? how did the codes for the extra stuff (outfits/fatalities) come? i've never preorderd from them * received no card or anything like that in with the game.

They email you the codes.
I got mine on release date.

Yousefb

depths20XX said:
Finally went online after learning some pretty nice Kung Lao BnB's.

It was like KoF12 bad...

After 3 matches I just quit. Didn't help that it took ages to even find a match. I really hope this gets fixed or this game will just sit on the shelf for me.

I dunno about online since PSN has been down, but playing this game 4 players locally 2vs2 is a blast!

W Hudson

Criminal Upper said:
I don't have the guide on me cuz I'm at work, but off the top of my head...the top couple of kombatants in the list were:

Shang Tsung
Raiden
Kung Lao
Nightwolf

The lowest are:

Kratos
Baraka
Sheeva

Spent yesterday playing mainly with Kung Lao and Nightwolf, and they certainly seemed to be very high tier. Kung Lao's spin move is amazing. Nightwolf has really nice juggle ability with his hatchet. Gonna probably spend some time with Raiden today. So far my personal favorites are Kabal and Ermac.

Myomoto

xbulletholes said:
did anyone preorder from amazon.co.uk? how did the codes for the extra stuff (outfits/fatalities) come? i've never preorderd from them * received no card or anything like that in with the game.

They sent me an email after they mailed my game, so I've got 3 codes sitting and taunting me in my inbox, while my game is stuck in the other end of country because of Easter holidays ;_;

Khezu said:
Reptile is awesome, a great zoner and can do some silly juggles with his force balls.
The people you were fighting were just bad.
I can't get any good combos down with reptile. And having to hit square + triangle on some of them is the most awkward shit I've ever seen. Does anyone have a link to the inputs for some good reptile juggling force ball combos?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I played the demo and was really impressed. Reminded me of MK2, though everyone felt a little heavier.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
depths20XX said:
Finally went online after learning some pretty nice Kung Lao BnB's.

It was like KoF12 bad...

After 3 matches I just quit. Didn't help that it took ages to even find a match. I really hope this gets fixed or this game will just sit on the shelf for me.

It's definitely not KOF XII bad. No way, no how.

But the ranking/player match options seem to be "broken." I takes forever to get matched up. You pretty much have to play in the player rooms to get matches going.

The game may offer some nice modes/options online, but in its current state, I'd place it at the bottom of the online fighting game connection quality tier list. MvC3 may be lacking options and has a shitacular lobby system, but playing in actual matches online annihilates MK.

GuessWho said:
so i got the stick, and that was out of pure nostalgia as i am nowhere near tournament player level status. I am a pretty good player with the controller, but a terrible player with the arcade stick. I fucking suck lol. Weird going from above-average player to novice. My main problem is jumping. I can't get it when I want too. This has nothing to do with the stick, it's always been like that since going to the arcades. I have trouble pushing diagonal- up lol.

I'm just like you. I'm ok with a controller but this is the first time I've ever used a stick and I'm about as noob as you can get. But the stick is so finely made that I want to keep at it and improve.

Atruvius

I completed story mode today. I completed 50% on normal and then changed to beginner. Some of the fights against non-boss-characters felt a bit too hard sometimes which hampered my enjoyment. When playing on beginner the game felt much much more fun and I could play for longer stretches.

The last fight felt hard even though the game was on beginner.
My strategy was to get as far away as you can from Shao Khan and spam Raiden lighting ball. Khan couldn't even hit one time during the last round and I got a flawles victory.

I have now completed about 10% of the Challenge Tower, have probably unlocked 60% of the krypt and completed the ladder as 5 characters. So I still have much to do.

depths20XX

Lyte Edge said:
It's definitely not KOF XII bad. No way, no how.

Maybe I just need to try more matches then. The three I played were really bad and one of them was pretty much a slideshow.

At least MvC3 was playable when you did finally find a match.

Playing on 360 and I have 20mbps internet

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You really do have to approach the final battle in Story Mode like a puzzle game, as opposed to a traditional fighting game. I think this is what people complaining about it's difficulty are failing to see. I had FAR more trouble with some of the 2-on-1 fights than I did with the last fight.

But yeah, finished Story Mode. Great stuff, sad to see it end, actually. Anyone else think
the way it ended points to DLC chapters rather than a full fledged sequel?

EDIT: Taking the Ermac avatar from the OP. Haven't seen anyone else using it, so I hope it hasn't been taken yet.

Seraphis Cain said:
You really do have to approach the final battle in Story Mode like a puzzle game, as opposed to a traditional fighting game. I think this is what people complaining about it's difficulty are failing to see. I had FAR more trouble with some of the 2-on-1 fights than I did with the last fight.

But yeah, finished Story Mode. Great stuff, sad to see it end, actually. Anyone else think
Yeah, I think I'd prefer that over a sequel.

Anyone on 360 get random disconnections online? like say once every few fights the game will just pause and say lobby no longer available?

Struct09

I had some really smooth matches on XBL last night, playing my friends who are across the country. Now if I could just get a ranked match...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Any Jade mainers? I need help.

I'm maining Jade. I'm not all that good, but I'm working on getting solid combos down... not that it does me any good with the terribad netcode. There's no way in hell I'm going to be executing anything with precise timing on this sludge. Hope a fix gets released.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time getting in aside from Shadow Kicks and jumps. Her standing normals seems sluggish, too, compared to the rest of the cast, though her command normals are awesome. If anyone has any tips or links to sweet combo-age, please let me know. I want to level her up.

Atruvius said:
I completed story mode today. I completed 50% on normal and then changed to beginner. Some of the fights against non-boss-characters felt a bit too hard sometimes which hampered my enjoyment. When playing on beginner the game felt much much more fun and I could play for longer stretches.

The last fight felt hard even though the game was on beginner.
My strategy was to get as far away as you can from Shao Khan and spam Raiden lighting ball. Khan couldn't even hit one time during the last round and I got a flawles victory.

I have now completed about 10% of the Challenge Tower, have probably unlocked 60% of the krypt and completed the ladder as 5 characters. So I still have much to do.

Can you change the difficulty anytime in story mode? Or do you have to start over? Don't know much about the story mode and I will be getting the game tomorrow so i would like to know which difficulty to pick when starting.

zlatko

Banned
Rented the game yesterday and fiddled around with it today for a couple hours too.

Super impressed with the offline content, presentation, and the amount of things to get lost in. This game is anything but bare bones like MvC3.

I played one match online just to see how the online was set up. The options there are fantastic and my one match was silky smooth, but I ended up getting bodied pretty hard.

So far my favorite character was Smoke. He's fast, fairly safe, great mix ups, great health, great damage, and just all around bad ass. I don't like his main outfit though so if anyone finds his alternate in the krypt let me know where it is so I can go unlock it.

Sonya was also impressing me. Dive kicks, great punishes for projectile spam, air throws, etc. She seems like a top tier character in my book as well as Smoke.

Oh and before I forget, the story mode is fanfuckingtanstic. It's not AAA story line of the year, but after having played so many fighting game story modes that were don't be a drunk monkey it's refreshing to see a well laid out plot to lose hours into.

Well done NetherRealm. Looks like losing Midway was just the kick you needed to get back in the game. :)

Fixed1979

I'm I missing something regarding training and the move list? Do I really need to go through the menu to check the moves come back out try it and then go back in to the menu to see if I did it right or to check another move? If so I guess I need a book or something, I can't learn shit that way.

Fixed1979 said:
I'm I missing something regarding training and the move list? Do I really need to go through the menu to check the moves come back out try it and then go back in to the menu to see if I did it right or to check another move? If so I guess I need a book or something, I can't learn shit that way.

Get the KE Guide. Comes with reference cards.

I was watching the GB TNT last night and some guy with reptile was doing 35% combos, he was fucking sick.

Fixed1979 said:

Print out a move list or put it up on your computer.

Xater

FallingEdge said:
Dear ebay scrubs,

Thank you so much for buying my Reptile skin for $50.

Thanks.

- FallingEdge

Looks like I should have bought a slightly more expensive MK copy to sell a code....

Unicorn

zlatko said:
Rented the game yesterday and fiddled around with it today for a couple hours too.

Super impressed with the offline content, presentation, and the amount of things to get lost in. This game is anything but bare bones like MvC3.

I played one match online just to see how the online was set up. The options there are fantastic and my one match was silky smooth, but I ended up getting bodied pretty hard.

So far my favorite character was Smoke. He's fast, fairly safe, great mix ups, great health, great damage, and just all around bad ass. I don't like his main outfit though so if anyone finds his alternate in the krypt let me know where it is so I can go unlock it.

Sonya was also impressing me. Dive kicks, great punishes for projectile spam, air throws, etc. She seems like a top tier character in my book as well as Smoke.

Oh and before I forget, the story mode is fanfuckingtanstic. It's not AAA story line of the year, but after having played so many fighting game story modes that were don't be a drunk monkey it's refreshing to see a well laid out plot to lose hours into.

Well done NetherRealm. Looks like losing Midway was just the kick you needed to get back in the game. :)
just go through the easiest difficulty of the arcade ladder with Smoke and you'll unlock it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
YAY!! Just beat story mode. The last fight was easy as fuck, simply
teleport right as he's doing a move, uppercut, repeat.
Beat it on my second try.

The AI in this game is retarded as hell, but the gameplay is otherwise solid.

Now... Who wants to play online? (PS3)

Xater

Dacvak said:

I have some bad news for you...

Dacvak said:

Ooooh I do I do...pick me! Oh wait. Nevermind. PSN is still down.

Had a much better round of KotH today, joined the ENGLAND room and there was 22 people there, much better then going into ranked fingers crossed since everyone had much better ping, but still not perfect.

Scorpion is a bit OP in my books, he can teleport, hell fire which is unblockable unless jumped but if you do jump his teleport can punish it, he has a bit too much going on compared to a lot of the cast.

Kung lao and sektor teleports need either a cool down like sub-zero's ice clone spam prevention or be slightly slower, right now they can beast every open attack from any range due to their speed, it's not 100% garenteed to hit but they don't recieve enough punish for spamming it.

Most other characters feel great and solid, i'm waking up to jax more and more, he really is fun to play in this mk.

RedAssedApe

Banned
FallingEdge said:
Dear ebay scrubs,

Thank you so much for buying my Reptile skin for $50.

Thanks.

- FallingEdge

I sold my Sub-Zero one for $15 because I'm impatient (via Buy it now)...I guess I should have paid more attention to all of the other auctions and charged more LOL.

Anyanka

Diablohead said:
Kung lao and sektor teleports need either a cool down like sub-zero's ice clone spam prevention or be slightly slower, right now they can beast every open attack from any range due to their speed, it's not 100% garenteed to hit but they don't recieve enough punish for spamming it.

Sektor's teleport is horribly punishable on block and Kung Lao can be hit out his.

Ribbon

I am really, really loving this game. I went back and watched the behind the scenes stuff from Midway Arcade Treasures 2 and all of the bonuses on the MK Deception Kollectors Edition extra disc, really gets you into the MK mood and really shows how much the old staff enjoyed making the games.

Sblargh

Banned
Test your might needs some tips from haunts on web designing, still, it is great to see a site active and hyping this game. Now, where's my Sindel guide?

Bleepey

Slamtastic said:
Just some Japanese players.

Which is surprising enough in itself.

Imagine if it takes of in Japan. Imagine if there's an Arcade release. To those that speak japanese what are the players saying about the game?

parasight

Seraphis Cain said:

EDIT: Taking the Ermac avatar from the OP. Haven't seen anyone else using it, so I hope it hasn't been taken yet.

Already taken, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom