• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Antitype said:
No. I just like competent game design.

This game lacks it.

You constantly harp on this yet talk about playing other games like SFIV. Seth is the same bullshit, he reads your inputs and teleport 360s all day. Cheesy tactics are always needed.

Sblargh

Banned
Also MvC3 on the hardest difficulty where characters reads everything you throw at them... except random captain america super; then hardest AI becomes unable to block. But Seth is actually a better example, where boss go from impossible to easiest just by getting the hang of him. I'll admit that Shao Kahn takes more practice.

Tower Challenges complete. Had to buy 4 of them, including the last one. The last one and one where
you have to defeat three Shao Kahns with one health bar using Stryker
were too much to me. The other ones were just annoying and I skipped just because didn't had patience to retry a couple of times.

But even the two that were too difficulty, I think I'll be able to do them once I have a bit more practice with the game, all I do are simple dial combos and stuff, when I'm able to dish out more damage with one combo, these will become doable.

Dreavus

Dreavus said:
I'm sure it's been asked, but how do saves work in this game? I'm assuming unlocking characters is just tied to your save, so you don't get to take anything with you if you play the game on another system? (barring psn plus cloud saves).

Anybody? Just wondering if I'll be able to have characters unlocked at my buddies house. For example, in AC:B I was able to just sign in to PSN (lol) and have access to my unlocks that way. How does it work in this game?

Ilive1up said:
Where do you think I would be able to find the MK fight stick? You think Best Buy would have any randoms laying around?

That's where I bought mine. I called ahead and the guy said they had one left, so I immediately went over and picked it up.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I have a PAL PS3 Scorpion code to trade. Anything other than Sub Zero is good, but I'd prefer Reptile.
Sorry if this isn't welcome here, if so I'll edit it out.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I must be blind; is there no option to install the PS3-Version?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
ArachosiA 78 said:
I'm pretty sure it automatically stealth installs in the background when you first play it.
Mkay. Weird.

Dreavus said:
Anybody? Just wondering if I'll be able to have characters unlocked at my buddies house. For example, in AC:B I was able to just sign in to PSN (lol) and have access to my unlocks that way. How does it work in this game?

I guess it depends on whether or not the MK Save game is locked. If you can copy the save you should be okay. If you can't copy it that way, you might be able to use the cloud save feature. Otherwise you're boned. Also, you'll probably have to go to your download history and redownload stuff (online pass, klassic costume(s)).

On Xbox I can keep my saved game on a usb stick and I can play it on both systems with all my unlocks. I just had to redownload the DLC on my second system and I was good to go.

So I can't restart the story mode? So lame. I wanted to make it one round... fuck the two round 1 on 2 battles.

Xevren said:
What are you needing help with? I've been putting time into her.
Have a spare Jade retro kostume but want to give it to a Jade fan. PSN is down so I've got time to decide. =P

Xevren

Oh, lol. She plays great and trying to really make her work. Would love it unless someone who is really infatuated speaks up or something.

Xater

If someone still has a Sub-Zero code that he wants to give a way I'd take that one. ;)

I have watched a video of all the Babalities earlier and some of those are pretty awesome. My favorites are probably Sub-Zero and Kratos.

TEJ

I am having trouble with challenge 160 here. What's the best way to get an 8 hit combo with liu kang? By best, I mean easiest. I tried most of the combos in the combo list, but they were no help.

TEJ said:
I am having trouble with challenge 160 here. What's the best way to get an 8 hit combo with liu kang? By best, I mean easiest. I tried most of the combos in the combo list, but they were no help.
does bike kick not work?

I'm not sure what string it is, but one of liu kang's strings is like two punches then an overhead kick that bounces the opponent off the ground and you can continue comboing. You can repeat that like 3 times for 9 hits, IIRC, so try starting with a jump in punch, then just do that string over and over.

Xevren

If you get 6 from that you could do his chain that's forward+bp,bk xx bike kick. He has a bunch of long chains but that might be the easiest.

Feindflug

OK guys I'm a little late to the party as I got the game yesterday (PAL Kollector's Edition) but after playing almost 6hrs straight the game with friends the nostalgia and the serotonin levels on my brain were reaching ecstasy levels...I love love love this game!

Mortal Kombat is back bitches!!!! ^__^

eshwaaz

Sblargh said:
Tower Challenges complete. Had to buy 4 of them, including the last one. The last one and one where
you have to defeat three Shao Kahns with one health bar using Stryker
were too much to me. The other ones were just annoying and I skipped just because didn't had patience to retry a couple of times.
I didn't know you could buy your way past the final challenge - how much does it cost? Did you still get the final reward?

TEJ

Xevren said:
If you get 6 from that you could do his chain that's forward+bp,bk xx bike kick. He has a bunch of long chains but that might be the easiest.

I can try this, but how does bp and bk translate to the playstation 3 pad?

orion434

Loving this game, really brings me back to the Old MK games. Not having too hard a time on Story mode, some cheeze, but nothing a 2nd try hasn't fixed. Many of the Achievements are insane and just how I like it! Can't wait to get some MOAR time in it later when I get home from work.

Xevren

The chain would be forward+triangle,circle canceled into bike kick. Tested and it won't work do to start up. You can do triangle, square, x, then juggle with forward+triangle, circle then bike kick which is 11 hits.

Sblargh

Banned
Yousefb said:
Just completed ladder mode with Smoke, anyone want to explain what happened in his ending exactly? I'm confused

It is revealed that he is not really a ninja, but a reincarnated demon, like Scorpion and Noob... after that I don't really remember. :p

Irish

Man, 95% of those arcade endings were badass. The art included in the cutscenes was fantastic as well. Whoever did those should have done Vs. Portraits in the same style.

Overall, I think I enjoyed the combined story of all the endings more than the stuff that happened in the actual story mode. I think the badass motion comics have quite a bit to do with that. The next main story should be told entirely in that method. Additionally, they are taking the story in cool new directions. A lot of the stuff that gets detailed matches up across multiple endings, so I'm guessing this stuff will soon be canon. Those new costumes they showed for certain characters are also quite nice.

Sheeva's ending
gave us the real reason as to why MK is banned in Australia. Their government is just mad that the rest of the world leaders decided to give their island over to the Shokan.

Anyone else finish everyone's arcade mode yet? If so, what are your thoughts on them?

Man, Raiden dominates. Was playing on Live all night, and I steam rolled everyone.

Looking at the tier list in the strategy guide, it indicates he's one of the best characters in the game in general.

Sblargh

Banned
Irish said:
Man, 95% of those arcade endings were badass. The art included in the cutscenes was fantastic as well. Whoever did those should have done Vs. Portraits in the same style.

Overall, I think I enjoyed the combined story of all the endings more than the stuff that happened in the actual story mode. I think the badass motion comics have quite a bit to do with that. The next main story should be told entirely in that method. Additionally, they are taking the story in cool new directions. A lot of the stuff that gets detailed matches up across multiple endings, so I'm guessing this stuff will soon be canon. Those new costumes they showed for certain characters are also quite nice.

Sheeva's ending
gave us the real reason as to why MK is banned in Australia. Their government is just mad that the rest of the world leaders decided to give their island over to the Shokan.

Anyone else finish everyone's arcade mode yet? If so, what are your thoughts on them?

I done about a 3rd of the cast and have to agree on the quality of the endings. Especially the ones that end on a darker note or are all-out bad endings. But I do like to think of them as alternate realities; a sort of "what if" on an alternate MK2, where these characters are there for the tournment.
I like a lot when an ending gives insight into some character hidden past, but overall, all of them are great in explaining the character, making them seem more fleshed out.

Xater

Criminal Upper said:
Man, Raiden dominates. Was playing on Live all night, and I steam rolled everyone.

Looking at the tier list in the strategy guide, it indicates he's one of the best characters in the game in general.

So what does this tier list look like? I would be very interested to see their ranking.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Picked this up from Target last night for $37 (OOS substitution for Tiger Woods 12, which was originally on sale for that price), and immediately started in on Story Mode. I was skeptical about Jeff Gerstmann's classification of this mode being "the best example in the genre ever", but after 6 chapters and 2 hours straight play last night, I'm sold.

Definitely benefits from my nostalgia for MK2 and MK3/UMK3.

Irish

Sblargh said:
I like a lot when an ending gives insight into some character hidden past, but overall, all of them are great in explaining the character, making them seem more fleshed out.

That's definitely true.

On an unrelated not, I can't believe that my favorite two chapters in the story mode were the ones where you controlled
Stryker and Nightwolf.

did anyone preorder from amazon.co.uk? how did the codes for the extra stuff (outfits/fatalities) come? i've never preorderd from them * received no card or anything like that in with the game.

RS4-

For those crazy enough to do the "all characters mastered" achievement, I wonder if you could just leave it in 2v2 practice mode and have it count for all 4 chars.

I can't imagine anyone really playing 24 hours each char lol.

edit - and leave both of them on record to get the xray and blood stuff mastered too.

RS4- said:
For those crazy enough to do the "all characters mastered" achievement, I wonder if you could just leave it in 2v2 practice mode and have it count for all 4 chars.

I can't imagine anyone really playing 24 hours each char lol.

edit - and leave both of them on record to get the xray and blood stuff mastered too.

I don't see why not. Doing tag ladder gets you two endings instead of one, so I would imagine at least the x-ray and blood one wouldn't take too long. The blood one seems a bit arbitrary, though, because I got the trophy pretty quickly into story mode since it used various characters, but no one character that I've used has anywhere near it.

Heck, do fatalities count for blood spilled? :p

GuessWho

so i got the stick, and that was out of pure nostalgia as i am nowhere near tournament player level status. I am a pretty good player with the controller, but a terrible player with the arcade stick. I fucking suck lol. Weird going from above-average player to novice. My main problem is jumping. I can't get it when I want too. This has nothing to do with the stick, it's always been like that since going to the arcades. I have trouble pushing diagonal- up lol.

Anyways the stick is BEAUTIFUL. True piece of art, which is part of the reason I got it. The bat top is nice and stiff, the buttons are very well made and I have a nice feel to them, although some of the buttons do emit a springing sound, which I believe will fade away in time.
Basically it's exactly like playing at the arcade. Oh and it's very playable on your lap for those wondering. Doesn't move and feels very comfortable with the foam on the bottom.

All in all a great piece of hardware.

xbulletholes said:
did anyone preorder from amazon.co.uk? how did the codes for the extra stuff (outfits/fatalities) come? i've never preorderd from them * received no card or anything like that in with the game.

codes from US amazon.com come in an email, usually shortly after your game ships. I don't see why amazon.co.uk would be any different.

depths20XX

Finally went online after learning some pretty nice Kung Lao BnB's.

It was like KoF12 bad...

After 3 matches I just quit. Didn't help that it took ages to even find a match. I really hope this gets fixed or this game will just sit on the shelf for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom