• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

Seraphis Cain said:
But yeah, finished Story Mode. Great stuff, sad to see it end, actually. Anyone else think
the way it ended points to DLC chapters rather than a full fledged sequel?

Honestly, I'm expecting that at this point. Part of what started to kill the appeal of Mortal Kombat for a lot of people in the last decade was how they continued to churn out games, try out new game play mechanics, but NEVER had the ability to actually fine-tune shit.

Now, they finally have something that works in this new game, and it should be more of a thing of just continuing to refine it and add more khars. If they do as such, NRS can save a "proper" MK10/MKX for the next generation, and let this be the only MK Vs. Fighter for this generation.

Frankly, if we don't start hearing whispers of more story mode Kontent on the way as DLC, right alongside the imminent Skarlet and Kenshi DLC, I'd be surprised.

NEO0MJ

sooperkool said:
I didnt realise that Reptile was so popular.

Most players will do anything to get rid of Lizard Reptile and get Klassic Reptile, on account he's the most deformed ninja compared to his previous design.

Yousefb

Why does Quan Chi get so much hate? There's nothing overly offensive about the character imo :p
And his fatality kicks ass

GuessWho said:
wait you can actually play this 2 vs 2? like 4 different controllers?

Yup :)

Having trouble unlocking finishing moves. I want to have no ??? in my moves lists!

How do I unlock stage fatalities? They're not in the Krypt. They're not working in the fatality tutorial. Same with classic fatalities and
babalities
. Please help!

Do I really have to do these on the spot in a real match in order to unlock them?

Another Krypt question. You can unlock the 2nd fatalities from performing them in the tutorial. You can get alts for finishing ladder. You can already input all kombat kodes if you know them.

So unless you care about background music and concept art, aren't koins and the krypt in general pretty worthless?

TreIII

Yousefb said:
Why does Quan Chi get so much hate? There's nothing overly offensive about the character imo :p
And his fatality kicks ass

I used to hate Quan Chi because it seemed like he was a guy who did a lot to come out of nowhere for MK4, and yet, we were made to believe that he was responsible for 90% of the bad stuff that happened to that point.

Since then, I've gotten to like the guy. This new game was able to convey that his involvement with the affairs of the MK-verse in a much more interesting way (not to mention makes more sense). Oh, and a fun moveset does help.

WTF? You get alternates by beating arcade ladder? So what happens to the graves that had them then? Did I just waste thousands of koins buying them then?

Finally started Arcade Ladder and did 3 characters. Starting from top left and working my way in order so I've done Scorpion, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao so far. Endings are actually pretty decent so far. Kung's is kinda lame but Liu's was surprisingly interesting, even if there's no way in hell that will be canon.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
Having trouble unlocking finishing moves. I want to have no ??? in my moves lists!

How do I unlock stage fatalities? They're not in the Krypt. They're not working in the fatality tutorial. Same with classic fatalities and
babalities
. Please help!

Do I really have to do these on the spot in a real match in order to unlock them?
Yes

Squall ASF said:
WTF? You get alternates by beating arcade ladder? So what happens to the graves that had them then? Did I just waste thousands of koins buying them then?

Finally started Arcade Ladder and did 3 characters. Starting from top left and working my way in order so I've done Scorpion, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao so far. Endings are actually pretty decent so far. Kung's is kinda lame but Liu's was surprisingly interesting, even if there's no way in hell that will be canon.
most krypt stuff is just there to get it early if you want it, you don't even need to buy the 2nd fatalities to use them. Very basic krypt.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Squall ASF said:

Yes. Though you would need to open those graves for 100% Krypt completion anyway, if you care about that stuff.

depths20XX

To the people who play Kung Lao:

Whats up with the combo that has the leg grab? The last hit you can either do BK or BP. However, it almost never seems to come out. I've found that it will come out sometimes if you just mash BP while he has their leg, but there seems to be no consistency to it. It definetly isn't chained like all other combos.

JdFoX187

Banned
Finally was able to redeem my Classic Reptile costume last night and it looks bloody awesome. Much better that terrible costume he has otherwise.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
depths20XX said:
To the people who play Kung Lao:

Whats up with the combo that has the leg grab? The last hit you can either do BK or BP. However, it almost never seems to come out. I've found that it will come out sometimes if you just mash BP while he has their leg, but there seems to be no consistency to it. It definetly isn't chained like all other combos.

You can do it based on timing. But to be safe, I mash it out.

djkimothy

This has probably been said a bunch of times but the shao Kahn fight with raiden is absolutely broken. I'm on medium difficulty, went all this way and could barely win a round.

There are barely any real pointers on the net just to get past this stupid level...

GuardianE said:
Yes. Though you would need to open those graves for 100% Krypt completion anyway, if you care about that stuff.

Thank you Guardian, I was sad panda until you mentioned the completion. I am OCD with that crap and want the achievement. For once, being an achievement whore has payed off.

Speaking of which, how the hell is anyone going to get the one for mastering every character? It would translate to up in the 600's in hours played to do that with every character... I'm wondering if you could just load up one of the modes and leave the game running for the 24 hr requirement.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
junkster said:
Salt in a wound

Challenge 172:
Defeat Retro Scorpion with Retro Sub Zero and perform his Fatality

WTF? So you can't complete all the challenges without the "DLC" unlock keys? LOL.

Fantasmo

Lyte Edge said:
WTF?
So you can't complete all the challenges without the "DLC" unlock keys?
LOL.

I'd spoiler that. There's only a few really cool challenges ;)

No. You can
play this match, but that's the point. What a tease if you don't have the preorder bonus!

Hey ProtoCents, can you spoiler yours too? Some people like surprises :)
Edit: Thanks ProtoCents.

Ahem! Lyte Edge! :p

Edit 2:
Looks like you can't do the classic Fatality in this Challenge. I tried 4 times and no luck. Bummer.

NEO0MJ

Lyte Edge said:
WTF? So you can't complete all the challenges without the "DLC" unlock keys? LOL.

No, they let you play with them in that specific mission, even if you don't have them.

djkimothy said:
This has probably been said a bunch of times but the shao Kahn fight with raiden is absolutely broken. I'm on medium difficulty, went all this way and could barely win a round.

There are barely any real pointers on the net just to get past this stupid level...

There are a ton of pointers in this thread within the last few pages.

The Lamonster said:

babalities
. Please help!

You have to select your classic skin for the classic fatality to work.
I did Reptile's classic in the trainer.

--

(1) Any tips on taking out Shao Kahn as Liu Kang in story mode?
(2) Does beating the game with someone or doing their secret fatality input actually count as a krypt unlock?

Edit: looks like you have to pay anyway, from the post above.
I know (1) has probably been answered somewhere in the 50 pages this thread has, but that's a lot to search through. :)

Deadstar

GuessWho said:
wait you can actually play this 2 vs 2? like 4 different controllers?

Of course you can my good sir! I played last week with three friends and it was the most fun I've had in any fighter. On the menu change 1 Player at the top to 4 and then you are off to the races. Make sure all four controllers are on first. Each person then controls one fighter in a 2 v 2 match. It's very very fun.

djkimothy

Absoludacrous said:
There are a ton of pointers in this thread within the last few pages.

The teleport + uppercut doesn't work. Either he's hit immune or raiden teleports just far enough to miss. I manage to win a round jumping plus uppercutting but then his hammer just uppercuts me and he goes on 3 hit combo taking a third or hp. His x ray then takes out 52% hp. Then he mixes up with shoulder charge. Gg. I've been at it for hours. Not to mention the dual shock occasionally registers raiden shock hold rather than the uppercut. Sigh. I should have gotten portal.

Atruvius

valentine71 said:
Can you change the difficulty anytime in story mode? Or do you have to start over? Don't know much about the story mode and I will be getting the game tomorrow so i would like to know which difficulty to pick when starting.
You can change it anytime from the main menu.

Barrage

This Japanese stream (even though its been strictly Noob/Scorpon) is hype. Really shows show much the Super Meter affects the Metagame.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What's that double teleport combo the Japanese player keeps doing with Scorpion?

"What's that double teleport combo the Japanese player keeps doing with Scorpion?"

Exactly what it looks like. Jump kick, teleport, jump kick teleport.

So today the game locked up on a loading screen, I was forced to shut off my Xbox and when I turned it back on all my save data was erased and my Kombat Pass, Ermac, and Reptile classic costumes were corrupted.

I can download the Kombat Pass again, and slog through the story mode (is there any way to skip cutscenes?) but I don't think I can do anything about the Ermac and Reptile costumes since they were one-use codes and come up as invalid when I try to re enter them. Any idea about what I can do here?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Lol, I totally just friend requested that guy. =P

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Teknopathetic said:
"What's that double teleport combo the Japanese player keeps doing with Scorpion?"

Exactly what it looks like. Jump kick, teleport, jump kick teleport.
Hey Tekno are you liking MK so far?

Chairhome

WyndhamPrice said:
So today the game locked up on a loading screen, I was forced to shut off my Xbox and when I turned it back on all my save data was erased and my Kombat Pass, Ermac, and Reptile classic costumes were corrupted.

I can download the Kombat Pass again, and slog through the story mode (is there any way to skip cutscenes?) but I don't think I can do anything about the Ermac and Reptile costumes since they were one-use codes and come up as invalid when I try to re enter them. Any idea about what I can do here?
Since it does it through xbl/psn, can you check account history and redownload they key for the costume?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
WyndhamPrice said:

You can re-download them through your download history (in account settings on the dashboard).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Teknopathetic said:
"Hey Tekno are you liking MK so far?"

I like it just fine, but I wish they'd de-shit the netcode.
So what do you use to record videos from the PS3?
(Im thinking on doing some videos when KOFXIII hits)

What is a wakeup attack?

Also, what does the (jump) mean in Scorpion's Toasty Fatality - D, U, U, 2 (Jump) ?

And do I have to hold block while pressing up or just let him jump while pressing up? Is that what the (jump) means?

A wakeup attack is when you do a move as you get knocked down, you'll pop up immediately and do a special move.

The (jump) means do it from jump range. About the max distance you can get and still jump in and hit them. Hold block while doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom