• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
djkimothy said:
The teleport + uppercut doesn't work. Either he's hit immune or raiden teleports just far enough to miss. I manage to win a round jumping plus uppercutting but then his hammer just uppercuts me and he goes on 3 hit combo taking a third or hp. His x ray then takes out 52% hp. Then he mixes up with shoulder charge. Gg. I've been at it for hours. Not to mention the dual shock occasionally registers raiden shock hold rather than the uppercut. Sigh. I should have gotten portal.

Don't just randomly teleport around. Wait for him to start an animation, like his hammer or spear throw. Then teleport. He doesn't have any armor on those moves. A lot of his other moves don't have hit stun, so if you just teleport around at random you're going to run up against those.

So stay at ranged, watch for the spear toss, teleport, uppercut, repeat.

Unicorn

The Lamonster said:
What is a wakeup attack?

Also, what does the (jump) mean in Scorpion's Toasty Fatality - D, U, U, 2 (Jump) ?

And do I have to hold block while pressing up or just let him jump while pressing up? Is that what the (jump) means?
Wakeup, is inputting the special move while on the ground, so you get up and instantly do it.

Jump refers to the distance you need to be. It's a little bit further away than 'sweep' distance.

Has anyone beaten Goro and Shao Kahn using Reptile? I'm up to Goro right now and it feels impossible to beat him because Reptile has no teleportation moves.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
bangladesh said:
Has anyone beaten Goro and Shao Kahn using Reptile? I'm up to Goro right now and it feels impossible to beat him because Reptile has no teleportation moves.

Spam acid spit at him. Goro has a real hard time dealing with projectiles.

So for those wondering about the official xbox transformable dpad controller, I can officially say it's much better. My roommate got stuck at a fight in story mode and I ended up having to do it for him and my goodness was it annoying not having certain commands read properly or it was too easy to hit an extra direction in. Teleports wouldn't work sometimes (would just jump straight up) or it was too easy to accidentally hit forward when trying to an uppercut so it would trigger a special move instead. Was vastly easier to imploy the strat I used with my controller. So, I'd say the controller is definitely worth it if you plan on investing a good amount of time into this game or any other fighter.

So when you guys talk about a character being good at zoning, you mean that he/she is good at keeping the opponent away from them? Controlling where the opponent is? Good with ranged attacks? What exactly does it mean?

Lamonster, an easy way to get to jump distance is to walk all the way up to your opponent and then do a single hop back. Definitely hold block for the fatality. Actually, I like to use block for all the fatalities and if one has block in the combination, you just let go and hit it again realy quick.

Barrage

Back to that Japanese stream...How do you deal with that Noob Cheese Tactic (constantly sending Saibot to Shoulder Tackle, then doing the Anti-Air Kick move if they come in close) if you don't have a character that can teleport (which is beginning to look neccessary)?

Chairhome

bangladesh said:
Against Goro/Kintaro, I try to jump in when he's open with a jump punch into a small combo, then jump out and repeat. Spamming his spit will probably work, too. Shao Khan we were able to beat by standing on the other side of the screen, doing and acid ball then jump kicking him in the air. Repeat.

Spoo

G-Fex said:
Anyone run into some real good Kabal or Kung Lao players?

I played Kabal a lot in KITH -- got a 13 win streak against some tough Smoke/Noob/Cyrax players (about 600+ rep points)

G-Fex

shagg_187 said:
Cyrax is so fucking awesome!

He really is. I can probably play him better than Sektor. I don't do much with Sektor's moves.

Spoo said:
I played Kabal a lot in KITH -- got a 13 win streak against some tough Smoke/Noob/Cyrax players (about 600+ rep points)

Fighting off Mileena and Noob has given me a lot of practice with him, they were hell to beat for me but I came up with some awesome combos, usually ending with him doing the tornado hook move or even his dash.

Sinatar said:
Spam acid spit at him. Goro has a real hard time dealing with projectiles.

Chairhome said:
Against Goro/Kintaro, I try to jump in when he's open with a jump punch into a small combo, then jump out and repeat. Spamming his spit will probably work, too. Shao Khan we were able to beat by standing on the other side of the screen, doing and acid ball then jump kicking him in the air. Repeat.

I just managed to beat Goro by staying far and sending him acid spits/balls. Here I come Kahn. I'll try doing the acid ball/jump kick thing.

Edit: Just beat Kahn.. In a really simple way, too. Stay far and acid spit spam, making Kahn hold up his block. Did little damage but added up in no time. Used x-rays when they came up and that's all it took.

Sblargh

Banned
So, with lack of Syndel combos online, I decided, for the first time, to "hit the lab" as you kids say it.
Gone to training mode, saw what everything on the move list does, tried some links, some juggles and it felt preety cool.
Syndel is good because she can zone at any distance and on the air. Her jump + fireballs are both awesome and you can control where it hits very nicely by how far you jump before shooting. She has a nice 20%ish easy combos that can be linked into Xray to form 36%ish combos.
She is fun to play, with no PSN I had to hit expert arcade and it went very smoothly, except against Jade, she trading projectiles with her failed where it didn't with others for some reason.

Xevren

GuardianE said:
I'm maining Jade. I'm not all that good, but I'm working on getting solid combos down... not that it does me any good with the terribad netcode. There's no way in hell I'm going to be executing anything with precise timing on this sludge. Hope a fix gets released.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time getting in aside from Shadow Kicks and jumps. Her standing normals seems sluggish, too, compared to the rest of the cast, though her command normals are awesome. If anyone has any tips or links to sweet combo-age, please let me know. I want to level her up.

In terms of what combo's I use with her, my main bnb would be:
Any jump punch,FK xx QCB+Bp, dash, b+bp, u+fk. Nice damage and looks pretty awesome. The overhead is pretty safe on block too, so easy to hit confirm into. You can use her fk,bk,bp combo as a mixup if they start blocking your overhead since the second hit is a low and you can start doing juggles with it in the corner.

Her forward+bp,fp,bp is a great combo to move and I think it's safe on block too. You shouldn't have issues getting in with Jade for the most part since her Shadow kick is safe on block, and if you're getting zoned you can use her little glimmer to just run through projectiles.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Diablohead said:
so many teleporters in this game, eurgh giving me a headache. I do wish boon would slow them down a tad instead of being so instant.
Yeah, it's the only flaw I find with Baraka really. He has pretty much nothing to get in close except down forward back punch and that can get stopped by a projectile

G-Fex

Diablohead said:
so many teleporters in this game, eurgh giving me a headache. I do wish boon would slow them down a tad instead of being so instant.

Noob's stupid teleportation grab move annoying the fucking life out of me.

Blocking it though is the key

Tokubetsu

Kung Lao's teleport isn't as great as everyone elses to me. It feels a LOT more telgraphed and slower than pretty much everyone else's

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Tokubetsu said:
Kung Lao's teleport isn't as great as everyone elses to me. It feels a LOT more telgraphed and slower than pretty much everyone else's
Quan Chi's is probably worse. I can literally uppercut him as he starts doing it, every time

Fantasmo

Tokubetsu said:
Yeah but you can throw or attack. Can't block a throw. Nasty!

with lag online kung lao's teleport is safe to most uppercut efforts too, he will drop before the uppercut takes effect and yeah, might be less prone to pissing me off online then on :p

I love ermac and subby, slow as shit but deals out 30+ combos like drinking water.

Jax is BEAST, his projectiles also seem to hit crouching foes.

Diablohead said:
with lag online kung lao's teleport is safe to most uppercut efforts too, he will drop before the uppercut takes effect and yeah, might be less prone to pissing me off online then on :p

I love ermac and subby, slow as shit but deals out 30+ combos like drinking water.

I haven't had much trouble with Kung Lao online at all. Teleport has been super easy to punish.

Went up against an insane teleporting Sektor in ranked though.

Tokubetsu

Diablohead said:

I both hate and love what they've done to modern sub zero (from DA on). One the one hand it's cool they're trying to differentiate characters but on the other, it sucks they kinda turned him into a bit of a hulk and less of ninja-esque nimble fighter. Scorpion seems to have taken that role on completely.

Absoludacrous said:
I haven't had much trouble with Kung Lao online at all. Teleport has been super easy to punish.

Went up against an insane teleporting Sektor in ranked though.
My mind is still set in SF mode half the time, muscle memory and all that. I still find teleports too fast though.

Tokubetsu said:
I both hate and love what they've done to modern sub zero (from DA on). One the one hand it's cool they're trying to differentiate characters but on the other, it sucks they kinda turned him into a bit of a hulk and less of ninja-esque nimble fighter. Scorpion seems to have taken that role on completely.
Scorpion is actually a ninja in the story and Sub-Zero technically isn't, so there's that.

Diablohead said:
My mind is still set in SF mode half the time, muscle memory and all that. I still find teleports too fast though.

With Kung Lao, as long as you aren't in the middle of a move, you can duck as soon as you see the teleport coming. Unlike Sektor you don't get hit until after Lao gets to the top of his teleport, so at the very least you can just uppercut as he's on the way up.

derFeef

shagg_187 said:
Cyrax is so fucking awesome!
Make me like Cyrax! Before the game came out I was like "hell yeah, cyrax is fucking great!" But after playing him... he just does not click with me :( I can't do his moves or combos at all.

Mortal Kombat is now my favorite fighting game ever.

The Story mode is nothing short of amazing.

Everytime I move on to a character it takes me a match or two to learn their moves. By the time I switch characters, I already become attached to the old one.

So far Smoke has been the most fun to fight with.

The best part of this is that I haven't even scratched the surface or gone online.

NEO0MJ

-Pyromaniac- said:
Sorry boys it's all about that Kitana and Sektor.

More like Sektor and Kabal. But I have yet to really dig deep so that's up for debate. Only reason I'm going with those two right now is nostalgia for Kabal and badass cyborg with teleportation, rockets and flamethrowers for Sektor.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Even though he looks like John Cena and is just an awful character to look at, I love playing as Stryker. The sound of the baton in the xray and his gun are so fun to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom