• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

methos75

Banned
The Antitype said:
Yay. Got some poor sap on craigslist to buy this game off me for full price. Maybe it's sold out in his area.

Man, what a disappointing pile of fail.

God's speed, those of you who are enjoying yourself. I wish I had your patience.

What????? How can anyone not love this amazing piece of fanfare?

derFeef

The Antitype said:
Yay. Got some poor sap on craigslist to buy this game off me for full price. Maybe it's sold out in his area.

God's speed, those of you who are enjoying yourself. I wish I had your patience.
Not at all. Have fun though!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The Antitype said:

Good. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Why does Kitana teleport during her x-ray? That's the only time she can teleport ever. You'd think if you can teleport, the last time you'd want to do it is when you've already stabbed a motherfucker in the eyes.

The Antitype said:

You were complaining earlier in the thread you couldn't get the controls down, of course it's the game's fault and not yours.

And it looks like the Giant Bomb stream sold a few more copies of MK...

RedAssedApe

Banned
zoner said:
I think you mean Kabal

I wasn't taking into account the character's origin. I was just thinking that the Noob character design sort of looked Vader-ish to me. But I suppose Kabal would work too :)

The Antitype said:

39HkR.gif

robot

Got the MK stick today and wow what an amazing stick. Really impressed, ranks a notch below the Hori Vewlix stick. The thing is a monster. Highly recommended if your loving MK as much as I am.

Dre3001

Just got this game this morning and have been playing all day which is rare for me and fighting games lately.

Usually Fighting games hold my interest for a little but dont really draw me in and have me wanting to play all day, the last fighting game that did that was Tekken 3. However MK9 has brought back the fun in fighting games for me.

This game is seriously amazing. I read the reviews and people were saying it was good but I definitely wasnt ready for this.

Story mode is fantastic and im only about halfway through. Tried Test your Luck mode a few times and that was fun and then spent the rest of the time playing versus against my 2 roommates.

Unlike previous 3d MK games this game feels polished and not as clunky. Im glad that they finally fixed the fighting system in this game. No longer is this series in the bottom tier of fighting games, it finally feels like a serious fighter and is headed in the right direction.

Criminal Upper said:
Well, with PSN being down for a few days...

It's pretty clear where this proposed tourney should be taking place.

Yeah but isn't the online garbage? Someone give me a god damn concrete answer before I get this game.

Xevren

Snapshot King said:
Yeah but isn't the online garbage? Someone give me a god damn concrete answer before I get this game.

It's just really inconsistent. It can be pretty good to incredibly shitty, but when it works it's great.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Xevren said:
It's just really inconsistent. It can be pretty good to incredibly shitty, but when it works it's great.

Emphasis on the incredibly shitty.

Don't buy this game for online play. That's all I will say.

Snapshot King said:
How's your experience been? Super mad shits or what?

Only played 3 matches last night, seemed fine to me. No disconnects, and I didn't notice any huge lag.

Well, at least enough lag to fuck with MK inputs.

Criminal Upper said:
Only played 3 matches last night, seemed fine to me. No disconnects, and I didn't notice any huge lag.

Well, at least enough lag to fuck with MK inputs.

Cool, maybe I'll find out someday what it's like. MAYBE.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Cerrius said:
Emphasis on the incredibly shitty.

Don't buy this game for online play. That's all I will say.

That's funny. Because the few matches I was able to get in online before PSN took a shit were smooth as hell. And I have shit internet and my PS3 is connected to my router wirelessly.

Pretty sure the netcode is fine. It all comes down to your connection and how far away your opponent is.

ptown

Bleepey said:
How do you consistently do Noobs's ex teleport grab. Shit's random.

Try tapping down, going to neutral, holding block, then pressing up. After the initial down input, you have a short amount of time to complete the rest of the inputs.

I found holding block like a millisecond before the other final inputs of EX moves (not just Noob EX teleport) helps prevent myself from doing the normal versions of the special moves.

Seraphis Cain said:
That's funny. Because the few matches I was able to get in online before PSN took a shit were smooth as hell. And I have shit internet and my PS3 is connected to my router wirelessly.

Pretty sure the netcode is fine. It all comes down to your connection and how far away your opponent is.

If it's dependent on your connection then are you some sort of miracle with having shit internet?

Maybe your version of 'fine' is another's view of 'terrible'.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I haven't been able to get a stick setup that feels comfortable to me yet on my SF4 TE. I wish they'd let you either map block to multiple buttons or allow you to map a button to have no input. Prefer to have the block in the middle like the old MK arcade setup.

I don't play tag mode so I don't need that button at all. Throw and stance change buttons also seem unnecessary since there are alternate commands for throwing and x-ray that are harder for you to hit accidentally.

I'm really not liking how king of the hill is set up. It's really annoying that the default set to theatre mode when you're playing given everybody's going to be playing in full screen, also I'm guessing registering the other players inputs for avatar emotes might contribute to lag?

Other than that online seems to be pretty mixed, though I think a large deal might be due to people not having their routers set up correctly as I've played some super smooth matches against people across the Atlantic. From early impressions I'd put it on a level with MVC3 where you'll find some good and some bad matches yet there's no way to figure out what you'll end up with in ranked. Things might get smoother after a little while though.

Mdk7

CoachKevin said:
The Story mode is nothing short of amazing.

Everytime I move on to a character it takes me a match or two to learn their moves. By the
SOOOO TRUE.
This kind of story mode has to become like a standard for the genre, it's really terrific.

Kuroudu

junkster said:
Still doing Challenge Tower. At level 251 or so. Bad news for all you guys who hate Shao Kahn. I've fought at least 10 of him and while it's somewhat easier early on, he eventually gets harder and harder.

I'm at the point where an Uppercut or Jumping punch into Uppercut hurts him only 5% and he frequently uses the overhead hammer.

Oh yeah, there are 2 enemies before him in this particular challenge and they only give you 50% health back per kill and the character I'm forced to use has no teleport.

Enjoy ;)

This fight is really frustating, I could beat the first two fighters but Shao Kahn is hard to beat with
Shang Tsung, his projectile is slow (also his other special attacks sucks) and he doesn't have a teleport
. I just skipped this fight and moved on with level 252.

LiK

Irish said:
Now do all the arcade ladders. To make it go quickly, do beginner and 1 round. The endings are all great. Really visually appealing. :D
Will do, heard they're great too. :D

Pimpbaa

LiK said:
Story mode done. Great story.

Plus it has pretty cool endings for the characters in arcade mode as well. They really raised the bar for single player content in a fighting game.

Played for like an hour today again online. Every match was various states of playing underwater.

Stealth patch this NRS!!

O yea, Kung Lau is awesome!!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
DryEyeRelief said:
If it's dependent on your connection then are you some sort of miracle with having shit internet?

Maybe your version of 'fine' is another's view of 'terrible'.

Well, I WAS playing at like 3AM, and usually during those hours (non-peak), my internet is great. Guess I should have thought about that first.

But really, the online matches I had played EXACTLY like local versus matches. The very first one had some input lag, but the rest were great.

zlatko

Banned
Got to dive deep into it today on day 2 of the rental. I stopped trying to play on my TE arcade stick lol. I switched to controller and the game plays much better on it for me.

I beat the entire single player and got over 50% of the Krypt done. I can't believe I actually like a story in fighting game and I'll be there for the next MK game to follow this one up to see how it plays out in the story aspect.

As far as training goes I spent about an hour fiddling with the characters that at first looked like they'd be fun. Smoke, Striker, Ermac, Noob, and Kabal are the ones I played around with. I just couldn't get over how fucking amazing Smoke is. He can do so much damage and has such an awesome fast way to play. The others all were fun to play too, and I'm not sure who I'll throw in as my 2nd for tag team play, but I feel it'll be Striker since his combos are fairly easy to do.

Great game, but I need more time with the online in the next few days to really stress test it on where the money investment should go if I were to purchase it.

gray_fox224

The Antitype said:

Can I lick your anus?

Anyways, this game is great. A wonderful story mode that makes every fight relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom