• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
zlatko said:
This thread officially confirmed to no longer be safe for noobie fighting game players on Gaf. :p <3 you.
D: I'm not that good. Working on kabal right now though, Already found some 45% life combos with ermac... After this gonna mess with sonya and maybe jade

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
mariachi507 said:
Less coins the second time through, hit up the Challenge Tower.
Ugh, how annoying. I don't mind that they're making me work for unlockables, but I'd rather not be forced to play parts of the game I don't want to.

Do you earn koins from regular versus battles?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dacvak said:
Ugh, how annoying. I don't mind that they're making me work for unlockables, but I'd rather not be forced to play parts of the game I don't want to.

Do you earn koins from regular versus battles?

You earn *far more* koins then is necessary to unlock every costume and fatality in a playthrough of story mode. Just use a guide, unlock everything useful and then stop stressing about it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Sinatar said:
You earn *far more* koins then is necessary to unlock every costume and fatality in a playthrough of story mode. Just use a guide, unlock everything useful and then stop stressing about it.
Already blasted through story mode and spent all of my koins. I don't like being spoiled by what's in the krypt, so I just go through and try to unlock everything.

Well, this wouldn't be a Mortal Kombat without something terrible to complain about. At least the gameplay and most everything else is good.

ferr

Is the Shao Khan fight (in chapter 11 i think) bugged or something? All I did was jump over his spears and hit him with fireball until time ended up running out on him both rounds. He would just keep taunting and get fire ball'd constantly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Awesome, every time I scroll down the list to try and find this GAF room my Xbox freezes partway down the list.

DjangoReinhardt said:
I'm convinced this game was designed for pads. None of the motion inputs "take advantage" of the stick and the B, B, F or F, F sort of inputs are easier on a d-pad. Also, the block button feels far less awkward as a trigger.

You'll have to pry my stick from my hands for Marvel or Street Fighter, but I much prefer a pad for Mortal Kombat.

You can't possibly be telling me that it plays better on a 360 pad than on a stick. That's just nonsense.

Teknoman

Gary Whitta said:
Having now played on both systems (the Whiskey Media tournament was on PS3) I think I can safely say that the PS3 controller is better suited to this game. You're much more likely to hit the correct direction sequences required for combos on the D-pad when the pad is made up of the PS3's four discrete buttons rather than the all-in-one rocker on the 360. And I'm playing on the new improved 360 pad with the dialable d-pad that separates out the cardinal directions. Too often I'll find myself trying to do a down-left type move and the game has me JUMPING UP. Something ain't right.

EDIT: why is combo with a k banned?

Its some website that posts alot of krappy rumors.

Snapshot King said:
You can't possibly be telling me that it plays better on a 360 pad than on a stick. That's just nonsense.
You can't possibly be telling me that sticks are superior to pads or vice-versa. That's just nonsense.

Sinatar said:
Awesome, every time I scroll down the list to try and find this GAF room my Xbox freezes partway down the list.

I ran into that problem yesterday trying to get in the giant bomb room. froze at the f's a couple times. Finally got it though.

GAF room is still up if anyone wants to play. Still by myself at the moment, probably give it 10 more minutes before I move on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL kabals combos scale so badly, I gotta find something basic to use x.x

edit: ah they just made the scaling on the spin super bad. Problem fixed :D

Absoludacrous said:
I ran into that problem yesterday trying to get in the giant bomb room. froze at the f's a couple times. Finally got it though.

GAF room is still up if anyone wants to play. Still by myself at the moment, probably give it 10 more minutes before I move on.

give me a few minutes and I'll join

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ferr said:
Is the Shao Khan fight (in chapter 11 i think) bugged or something? All I did was jump over his spears and hit him with fireball until time ended up running out on him both rounds. He would just keep taunting and get fire ball'd constantly.
You'll be wishing he was bugged later in the story

Dacvak said:
What's the easiest way to earn koins?
Ladder mode on beginner, max rounds to win.

Use Kratos (Kitana on 360).

Spam Bow/Fan toss.

1,000 per flawless 250 per fatality. The AI will fall for it, especially the first 2 fights and Goro.

Dacvak

crimzonflame said:
I use babalities because it gives 500 koins.
How do you unlock babalities?

So are the saved games on PS3 transferable to a USB stick? If so I'd REALLY appreciate it if someone, with at the very least the 2 characters unlocked, posts their PS3 game save and/or PMs it to me. I've beat the story mode on 360 and 360 is my go to console for unlocking/beating the rest of the stuff. PS3 is mainly for online play (funny how that turned out... heh).

Btw, I think its possible Portal 2 + Socom + Mortal Kombat blew up PSN. All 3 exclusives or have exclusive content over the 360 version PLUS all have online modes. So my theory is PSN just never had this much load on it before.

Tendo

OK I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. I am not a serious fighting fan, I just play with my buddies when I have people over. MVC3 didn't grab us but we are all hyped for this.

Any major differences between 360 and ps3 performance wise?

How does it feel on the ps3 dpad compared to 360?

How is Kratos? Would he be worth it to go PS3 for?

I have 4 360 controllers and 3 ps3. So tag mode would work better on 360, but really I just want the version with the smoothest performance.

QisTopTier said:
On the plus side he became super human LOL
Nah, just super ugly. Not as bad as that dude Baraka, though. Filipinos just can't catch a break in fighting games.

I'm having trouble deciding who to use in my team between Saibot, Liu Kang and Cyber Sub Zero. All 3 are amazing. Sub's dive kick is godlike, and freeze combos are so pretty.

Tendo said:
OK I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. I am not a serious fighting fan, I just play with my buddies when I have people over. MVC3 didn't grab us but we are all hyped for this.

Any major differences between 360 and ps3 performance wise?

How does it feel on the ps3 dpad compared to 360?

How is Kratos? Would he be worth it to go PS3 for?

I have 4 360 controllers and 3 ps3. So tag mode would work better on 360, but really I just want the version with the smoothest performance.
I've played both quite a bit, performance-wise they are identical. I find myself preferring the PS3 pad. My main complaint with the PS3 controller is the placement of the thumbsticks but that's not an issue here. I think the PS3 d-pad is more consistent and reliable.

Yeah I'm kinda disappointed with the new 360 controller with the adjustable D-pad. It was hyped to fix these issues but it doesn't seem much better than the old one to me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Is this real? Seriously? We still have this kind of mindset around?

360 d-pad aside, I would have to say that the pad is actually better than a stick in terms of button layout though. At least the Mad Catz sticks everyone has. Using triggers for block feels a lot less awkward than any of the other mappings you can do. Especially since you can't map block to multiple buttons or make buttons do nothing.

Xevren

The Madcatz Fightpads work great with the game too, just wish they didn't have such durability issues. Got one recently and it didn't even last a week before the dpad started fucking up.

henhowc said:
360 d-pad aside, I would have to say that the pad is actually better than a stick in terms of button layout though. At least the Mad Catz sticks everyone has. Using triggers for block feels a lot less awkward than any of the other mappings you can do. Especially since you can't map block to multiple buttons or make buttons do nothing.

Not sure what's wrong with default layout on a Mad Catz TE to be honest. Turns it into KOF11 with block replacing the E button.

Seriously though, the pad/stick discussion was settled forever ago, wasn't it? Sticks are better. Everyone I know who switched to stick and stuck with it had their game improve significantly. Tourney scenes are stick dominated. Hell, where you'd have to roll your thumb on a d-pad, it's a twitch on a stick. I can't see how anybody can still entertain this notion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom