• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kalnos said:
Oh I have no problem with the name, it's just hilarious as fuck.
I agree, and i didn't know how to pronounce it until a few days ago, lol.

Snapshot King said:
Not sure what's wrong with default layout on a Mad Catz TE to be honest. Turns it into KOF11 with block replacing the E button.

Seriously though, the pad/stick discussion was settled forever ago, wasn't it? Sticks are better. Everyone I know who switched to stick and stuck with it had their game improve significantly. Tourney scenes are stick dominated. Hell, where you'd have to roll your thumb on a d-pad, it's a twitch on a stick. I can't see how anybody can still entertain this notion.
Wolfkrone and Vangief would disagree.

Sticks aren't "better" by default. Neither is that attitude.

Cyber Sub Zero's Trish combos are amazing looking :)

BPxxFPxxBP+FP, jBPxxDive Kick BK(whiff), FPxxFPxxBP, Ice Slide

only 25%, but goddamn does it look cool. It's better to combo into ice ball first, which is safer and gives you a little extra damage.

Teknoman

Watching the GB scrub tournament now...and its always funny to see those last minute MK poke hit wins :p Both sides having low health always makes for entertaining moves.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Anyone have any wicked Scorpion combos?

Professor Beef said:
I agree, and i didn't know how to pronounce it until a few days ago, lol.

Wolfkrone and Vangief would disagree.

Sticks aren't "better" by default. Neither is that attitude.

But they are objectively better. It's faster to move a stick than move your thumb onto a pad. Your fingers can rest on more simultaneous buttons on a stick layout than on a controller. And if you'd play the pro using pads argument by name dropping Wolfkrone and Vangief, then, well, pretty much everybody else uses sticks, so where are you going with this?

Snapshot King said:
But they are objectively better. It's faster to move a stick than move your thumb onto a pad. Your fingers can rest on more simultaneous buttons on a stick layout than on a controller. And if you'd play the pro using pads argument by name dropping Wolfkrone and Vangief, then, well, pretty much everybody else uses sticks, so where are you going with this?
I'm going with what I've been saying the past three posts: sticks aren't better than pads, and vice-versa. The only thing that matters is what you're comfortable with. If you're comfy with a stick, congrats. Same if you'd rather use a pad.

I can't believe I have to explain what I thought didn't need an explanation, for crying out loud. :|

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Snapshot King said:

Overall I think sticks are better but it really depends on the game/character you're playing. And even then, the difference isn't going to be so big that a person who's more comfortable with a pad should automatically switch over to a stick.

This game is very pad-friendly compared to SF and Marvel and stuff. I think Justin Wong even said he was playing this game on a pad.

But yeah, even though I think sticks are more more conductive to mid/high-level play for most games, if a person is skilled enough and wants to use pad, then there's little that can't be done on a pad.

Professor Beef said:
I'm going with what I've been saying the past three posts: sticks aren't better than pads, and vice-versa. The only thing that matters is what you're comfortable with. If you're comfy with a stick, congrats. Same if you'd rather use a pad.

I can't believe I have to explain what I thought didn't need an explanation, for crying out loud. :|

You say that, but you aren't addressing anything I say. Are you saying that rolling a thumb is as fast as a twitch of the wrist for a stick? Or that you can rest more fingers on buttons in a natural state on a pad? Or hit more simultaneously without scrunching your hand?

DR2K

Banned
Snapshot King said:

I really think you should look up the term objective. Speed and precision with a pad or stick is relative to the person using it NOT to you.

Snapshot King said:
You say that, but you aren't addressing anything I say. Are you saying that rolling a thumb is as fast as a twitch of the wrist for a stick? Or that you can rest more fingers on buttons in a natural state on a pad? Or hit more simultaneously without scrunching your hand?
You're not addressing anything I'm saying either, but I'll go along with this for the sake of argument.

I can access all 6 required buttons in SSFIV, for example, on my DS3. I'm rarely, if ever, going to need to hit all 6 at the same time, but I can thanks to macros. Wondering if I'm going to hit a button or not is not an issue. Same with motions, but if you want to get into semantics, all I would need to do is "flick my wrist" to move my character around, too.

Lost Fragment said:
Overall I think sticks are better but it really depends on the game/character you're playing. And even then, the difference isn't going to be so big that a person who's more comfortable with a pad should automatically switch over to a stick.

This game is very pad-friendly compared to SF and Marvel and stuff. I think Justin Wong even said he was playing this game on a pad.

But yeah, even though I think sticks are more more conductive to mid/high-level play for most games, if a person is skilled enough and wants to use pad, then there's little that can't be done on a pad.

Yep, Justin Wong said he prefers to play this using the PS3 pad on his twitter.

Teknoman

Damn Gary, that was a cool match. lol at the 3rd round freeze teleport, that was just lucky :p Sucks whenever you miss a fatality after a good fight though. (first fight anyway).

Cyber Sub Zero is the only character that can viably do dive kick juggles :-(

I got Sonya's to combo after a neutral jump BP in the corner, but that's not really useful...

Kung Lao's is impossible, and no other characters have dive kicks, right?

Aske

Snapshot King said:

Depends on the D-pad. I find using most d-pads (including the DS3) significantly faster than using a stick. Sweeping my thumb from one arm of the cross to the other for a QCF feels quicker than moving my whole wrist, same with a DP or 360 motion. A stick's button layout is generally superior to a pad because it's far easier to hit various combinations simultaneously, and many pads only have 4 face buttons; but depending on the game this isn't always a problem (MK for example). And pads like the Saturn with six face buttons solve the issue completely.

I prefer a pad for everything. I learned to play these games primarily on the SNES; my trips to the arcade were infrequent. So I hate sticks, and love D-pads. I can see why people who learned to play these games on arcade machines prefer sticks, but even after extensive stick use I find the sluggishness and clunkiness doesn't go away. I'm sure it would if I practiced enough...but why bother when I can already do everything I want with a pad?

As Professor Beef says, the best controller to use is the one that works best for you.

Enk

makes good threads.
Is there any word on when/if the first big league tournament for this is going to take place? Really curious to see some of the Street Fighter/MvC tournament regulars play this.

crimzonflame said:
Yep, Justin Wong said he prefers to play this using the PS3 pad on his twitter.

Ah, I preferred the PS3 pad over my Virtua Stick Pro, but thought the MK Tournament Stick might make things better. My TE should arrive next week, but now I am thinking perhaps I should just sell that and stick with the pad. I do want the Ermac skin though. :/

Leshita said:
Ah, I preferred the PS3 pad over my Virtua Stick Pro, but thought the MK Tournament Stick might make things better. My TE should arrive next week, but now I am thinking perhaps I should just sell that and stick with the pad. I do want the Ermac skin though. :/

Don't knock it until you try it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm far better with my craptacular Hori stick then the stock 360 pad, so I can only imagine having a good stick would be even better.

"I love this game to death, but the online is ass. Is anyone having any problems with the Live version?"

People are having problems with both versions. The netcode is terrible on both platforms (when PSN is actually up).

Matchmaking is ass for ranked. Looking for game... looking for game... looking for game. So much for ranked. Oh well, on to the lobby challenges.

Edit: ^^Jinx^^

ZoddGutts

It's probably been mentioned already but if not. NRS has been doing stealth updates to the game, fixing infinite combo's and other glitches. No patches needed. All you need to do is log online.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
ZoddGutts said:
It's probably been mentioned already but if not. NRS has been doing stealth updates to the game, fixing infinite combo's and other glitches. No patches needed. All you need to do is log online.

What I've been wondering about this is do the changes from the "on-the-fly" fixes still apply if you play offline?

I absolutely adore Kitana except for that weird air hovering thing she does where she dashes across the stage in mid air. I keep accidentally doing it and it breaks my momentum. I end up landing on the ground then getting bitch slapped.

I think the solution is that I have to be better.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I wish there were a way to export some of this art. I really want that scorpion reveal render as my desktop background.

Teknoman

ZoddGutts said:

Thats kinda cool. Is all this info on themortalkombat.com or else where?

Carnby

Leshita said:
What do people with TE sticks think?
Is it much easier to play with the TE stick compared to normal 6 button standard layout arcade sticks?

I love my TE stick. It feels exactly like the stick I used to play MK 1 through 3 in the golden years of the arcade.

Dacvak

Fuck the screamers in th krypt. :(

Teknoman

Raxus said:
First character I really want to learn is sub-zero. Any videos/guides of someone really good with the character?

What i'm trying to find out is if there is any real use for the foot freeze or the back+ Triangle/Y strike. Both seem too slow to be of any real use, and there isnt a dizzy mode for characters.

SmithnCo

Dacvak said:
Fuck the screamers in th krypt. :(

lol, they took me aback at first but they look goofy after you've already seen em.

I heard they might give you money if you see them too? Any confirmation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom