• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
Atruvius said:
I have noticed that when you lose three times to Shao Khan in the ladder mode, he becomes much easier to defeat. He starts doing taunts over and over and doesn't do any 3 hit combos. I guess that happens with every opponent too.

This game has become a bit frustrating. I pick characters who I think I'll stick with. I go training to learn his moves. After I think I have learned the characters moves I go to ladder mode and I get my ass kicked. I guess Scorpion is the one for me. :/

That means it's not the characters, but the fundamentals that are off. In fighting games, learning the moves is just the first step, the real challenge is to learn to weight risk/rewards (it's not even that simple to know what is risky just looking at it), how to move properly, when to block, when to jump, stuff like that.

Keep on practicing, I say. Unfortunetly there isn't a lot of great MK videos around so you can watch them, but this game isn't hard to pick up, just try to pay atention to the basic mechanics.

Chairhome

Railer said:
Finished the story mode last night and i really enjoyed it. Some fights were a tad annoying, but managed to get through most of them after a few tries.

So i got a question about babalities. Is there a special circumstance where i can use them, or do you just use them when they say "finish him" ? I tried doing Nightwolf's babality in the fatality trainer, but i just didn't seem to make it work.
Yeah, the story mode was awesome. Didn't have a terrible time against anyone in particular, but you do have to "game" the AI. Don't play against the bosses like they're another player. Against the shokan, I'd do crossover jump punches into the dial combos, it'd usually work. For Shao Kahn, teleport when he goes into a move and you'd usually be able to punish him with a combo (essential to get past his super armor).

For babalities, can't press block.

xbulletholes said:
anyone else keep reading the 'ninja mime' signs as 'nicki minaj'?
maybe i just need to stop playing for a bit...
I read it as Ninja Meme, doesn't help that half of the MK cast are ninja wannabes :p

Aske

Chairhome said:
For babalities, can't press block.

You wouldn't happen to know if the block thing only applies during a match or not, would you? I like to hold block while I dial in a fatality, and it'll be irritating if I can't do this for a babality. Haven't even tried to do one yet...

1k_Anubis

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the Klassic Ermac, Kitana, Jade, and kitana have fatalities? I have all the klassic people but no fatalites. I thought they advertised them with klassic fatalites.

1k_Anubis said:
Does anyone know if the Klassic Ermac, Kitana, Jade, and kitana have fatalities? I have all the klassic people but no fatalites. I thought they advertised them with klassic fatalites.
Ermac does not, I think only scorp, sub and reptile have a classic fatality.

Tizoc

So I think I've decided on who I want to main: They include-
Smoke, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Liu Kang and Stryker.
Could someone provide some tips to using them?

I really hope boon does something about all these teleporting attacks, a teleport should just move you, not attack also, the moment you play online with a little lag the window for blocking dissapears :/ such a bad design imo.

When I lose in SF4 I lost because of skill, when I lose in mk9 it's most of the time because lag stops my inputs or makes the game slow to a trickle, this equals frustration :/

worst 2 years of netcode work ever.

Dre3001

So this game has gotten me to start thinking

Has any fighting game ever had a good netcode??

And if so was it through updates or has it been good since release??

Because off the top of my head I cant think of any

MvC3 is horrible, Tekken 6 was horrible (although I have heard it has been updated with a better netcode, just havent bothered to check), SF4 is hit or miss, and I havent really played SSF4 so I cant comment on that.

notworksafe

MvC got fixed pretty quickly and I get no lag in matches, though finding them can still be a problem. SF4 was rough to say the least, but SSF4 is much better.

BlazBlue and AH3 have good netcode, probably the best I've every played. BB also had an update that fixed theirs after initial problems.

SF4 and SSF4 is very playable (good, even) with a good connection. Nothing mindblowing as you can get some meh lag even playing in the same continent, but definitely serviceable.

Blazblue netcode is *fantastic*. I've even played people in the Philippines and Japan with a *very* playable experience.

Tekken 6 netcode was okay after the patch. Assuming you stayed strictly to 4 and 5 bar connections. Not quite SF4 level, but serviceable.

The rooms and matchmaking are fucked up in MK right now. But I think the actual netcode isn't anything worse than what I've seen in SF4. I just think that theres a lot more scrubs with bad net connections on. If you're playing someone with a proper home network setup it should be fine.

Myomoto

Dre3001 said:
So this game has gotten me to start thinking

Has any fighting game ever had a good netcode??

And if so was it through updates or has it been good since release??

Because off the top of my head I cant think of any

MvC3 is horrible, Tekken 6 was horrible (although I have heard it has been updated with a better netcode, just havent bothered to check), SF4 is hit or miss, and I havent really played SSF4 so I cant comment on that.

Blaz Blue supposedly had very good netcode, I think.

"The rooms and matchmaking are fucked up in MK right now. But I think the actual netcode isn't anything worse than what I've seen in SF4. I just think that theres a lot more scrubs with bad net connections on. If you're playing someone with a proper home network setup it should be fine."

It's not fine in any situation. Unless Xevren and Jake-HK have an ass home network setup, it was fairly bad when we played. I've yet to encounter anyone with a proper home network setup if this is the case. Conversely, I get them pretty much every match in SSF4 (even when I occasionally go down to 3 bar connections), even with big GAF chat rooms where we have people all across the country crammed into a single room.

Oh, also MVC2 and HDR had good netcode, just shitty everything else.

Teknopathetic said:
"The rooms and matchmaking are fucked up in MK right now. But I think the actual netcode isn't anything worse than what I've seen in SF4. I just think that theres a lot more scrubs with bad net connections on. If you're playing someone with a proper home network setup it should be fine."

It's not fine in any situation. Unless Xevren and Jake-HK have an ass home network setup, it was fairly bad when we played. I've yet to encounter anyone with a proper home network setup if this is the case. Conversely, I get them pretty much every match in SSF4 (even when I occasionally go down to 3 bar connections), even with big GAF chat rooms where we have people all across the country crammed into a single room.

Oh, also MVC2 and HDR had good netcode, just shitty everything else.

Were you guys playing KOTH or 1v1? I did play KOTH but it has only been with one other person

"Were you guys playing KOTH or 1v1? I did play KOTH but it has only been with one other person"

Both. Started out 1v1 with Jake HK, then Xevren joined, then sometime after Jake-HK left and it was just me and Xevren.

Outside of that instance, I've not played KOTH at all, so I'm pretty much only speaking about 1v1.

"VF5's netcode was sexcellent"

Right, I've heard this as well, but I never played VF5 Online, so...

notworksafe

Maybe by the time PSN comes back up, there will be a netcode patch for MK. That'd be nice! :p Then I can avoid having the laggy experience.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I had no intention of buying this game.

Then I read through all of the info in the first post, remembered how much I loved Mortal Kombat as a kid and immediately ran out to buy it. Curse you people, I haven't even opened up Portal 2 yet!

KotH never gives me 4 green bars for ping even against someone who has a perfect connection in 1v1, if you want lag free matches you are best to play solo matches really.

It's not perfect, I still think SF4/SSF4 netcode is some of the best I have personally seen next to HDremix, which was flawless for me at all times, such good net code.

Between netcode, teleport happy attacks and a few character imbalances I give this game a 7ish, it's so close yet so far.

Sblargh

Banned
SF4 netcode was good with awful matchmaking, MvC3 is kinda like this.
I have no complaints whatsoever about SSF4. Never played Blazblue, but if it is better than SSF4, then it might as well be a LAN house.

QisTopTier said:
NEVER!!

Also is it just me or does Sonya seem a bit .... godlike in this game >.>

Sonya's good, but Smoke and Kung Lao are stupid good. Is there any reason Smoke can't just run away and teleport any time you hit a button?

Anyway, I'm thinking about Nightwolf and Robo Cyrax right now. I was messing around with Jax earlier but I just can't figure out how to do damage with him reliably.

God's Beard said:
Sonya's good, but Smoke and Kung Lao are stupid good. Is there any reason Smoke can't just run away and teleport any time you hit a button?

Anyway, I'm thinking about Nightwolf and Robo Cyrax right now. I was messing around with Jax earlier but I just can't figure out how to do damage with him reliably.
smoke is anti lag online, his teleport is soooo good and lots of smoke bombs which with lag make it hard to block or avoid. Really want to play this game against friends offline but they all know shit about combos and fighting games :(

Chairhome

So I just found out that Reptile is the only member of his race that can't mate...

... he has "e-reptile dysfunction"

Thanks everyone, I'll be here all night.
-----

spent the end of last night doing babalities for each person. I thought it was cool that they even made baby models for some different skins (I.e. human forms).

Also: thought Sheeva's second fatality was lame... until she did her win pose for that fatality. +10 awesome points.

Chairhome

Neuromancer said:
Yeah it was crazy. Bottom right hand corner of the screen, looked like a photo of some guys head but it was only up for a moment.
New to MK? That's Dan Forden , NRS sound engineer. Aka Toasty Guy. That'll happen every once in a while. Haven't seen it yet on my game.

Ok thanks guys. That was really strange. I had a witness though (my wife) so I knew I wasn't crazy!

What's the significance of that guy popping up? Is it like a running gag?

Edit: just looked it up, pretty funny

Link

It's happened to me a few times too, the "toasty" thing - it's a common meme in the MK games apparently? I think it's a random reaction to an uppercut.

EDIT: just saw the link above. I love that it's the same guy in all the games :)

Gary Whitta said:
It's happened to me a few times too, the "toasty" thing - it's a common meme in the MK games apparently? I think it's a random reaction to an uppercut.
Yep, ever since MKII. It's Dan Forden, MK sound/music guy. Stemmed from him saying "you're toast" while gaming with friends.

Aske

notworksafe said:
God help me, I just bid on a Kitana kostume code on eBay.

Granted I only set a max bid of $2.50, but still...what am I doing?

I hope you get it for that price. $2.50 would be worth it to me at this point, but I refuse to buy the costume on eBay as a matter of principle. I hope Boon makes a statement about the retro stuff now all the pre-orders have been fulfilled; thereby driving eBay prices up/down as applicable.

Kitana really does have a bad face, especially for such an amazing character. I like cutting up opponents at close range and soaking her in blood splatter, so everything above her veil is a crimson mask of gore. So good.

notworksafe

Yeah I doubt I'll get it at that price (and I just noticed the prick has a $1.25 shipping cost added to the code he is emailing) but I figure it's worth a shot.

Fantasmo

Before PSN went down, I played around 15 matches online. Most were awful, but I did get somewhere around 3 very smooth games in so it does work in some cases which gives me hope for improvement.

Fox Mulder

notworksafe said:
Yeah I doubt I'll get it at that price (and I just noticed the prick has a $1.25 shipping cost added to the code he is emailing) but I figure it's worth a shot.

I'd pay a few dollars for each, but I'll hope for dlc. Reptile and Scorpion are going for $25 or more on ebay though. Fucking crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom