• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Joe

masumo said:
has anyone encountered these bugs in game:
1) screen going black for a few seconds randomly
2) speech stuttering during cut scenes

I'm trying to figure out if I'm having problems with my disc or if its the game itself. Thanks!

I had minor speech problems during Story mode but they were quite infrequent. As in, either a character skipped a word or repeated a word (stuttered). Story mode had another glitch once where it forgot to let me return to the proper chapter when I came back to it. I've also had 2 game freezes. One I forget the circumstances, but the other was the game trying to load up the krypt. XBox 360 by the way, with the game on the hard drive.

I wouldn't consider the game a glitch-fest though. I've poured a decent amount of time into the game and it's usually glitch free.

I bought SF4, SSF4, and MVC3, but this is my first real experience trying to get decent in a 2D fighter (coming from a 3D games like Tekken SC, and VF). I'm using Jax and trying to combo simple things like FP, BP into d, f+BP and have found that I don't even have to press the BP a second time for the Dash Punch to come out so long as I do the first two button presses then the motion. I get the three hit combo having only presses two buttons, but it seems my motion is locked into the last button press. This is a problem when I want to, for example, do the Gotcha Grab instead. Is this common for 2D games? It feels like the controls are too lenient in spots.

Master Thespian said:
I bought the SF4, SSF4, and MVC3, but this is my first real experience trying to get decent in a 2D fighter (coming from a 3D games like Tekken SC, and VF). I'm using Jax and trying to combo simple things like FP, BP into d, f+BP and have found that I don't even have to press the BP a second time for the Dash Punch to come out so long as I do the first two hits then the motion. This is a problem when I want to, for example, do the Gotcha Grab instead. Is this common for 2D games? It feels like the controls are too lenient in spots.
Think I know what you mean, if I 2,2, db3 but press 2 too many times I end up doing the db2 fireball without intending too, I have to rythem my presses in but I am getting use to it now.

Sblargh

Banned
Diablohead said:
Think I know what you mean, if I 2,2, db3 but press 2 too many times I end up doing the db2 fireball without intending too, I have to rythem my presses in but I am getting use to it now.

What the numbers mean? I see people describing combos like that and I don't understand.

Diablohead said:
I'm actually only pressing 1 (FP), 2 (BP), d, f but still getting the entire combo AND the dash punch, despite not pressing 2 (BP) again.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Master Thespian said:
I bought SF4, SSF4, and MVC3, but this is my first real experience trying to get decent in a 2D fighter (coming from a 3D games like Tekken SC, and VF). I'm using Jax and trying to combo simple things like FP, BP into d, f+BP and have found that I don't even have to press the BP a second time for the Dash Punch to come out so long as I do the first two button presses then the motion. I get the three hit combo having only presses two buttons, but it seems my motion is locked into the last button press. This is a problem when I want to, for example, do the Gotcha Grab instead. Is this common for 2D games? It feels like the controls are too lenient in spots.

It's because of negative edge, which is when releasing a button counts as an input in a special move. And the negative edge in this game is cranked up really high. Like 2 seconds IIRC. Kind of annoying at first but you get used to it.

Master Thespian said:
I bought the SF4, SSF4, and MVC3, but this is my first real experience trying to get decent in a 2D fighter (coming from a 3D games like Tekken SC, and VF). I'm using Jax and trying to combo simple things like FP, BP into d, f+BP and have found that I don't even have to press the BP a second time for the Dash Punch to come out so long as I do the first two button presses then the motion. I get the three hit combo having only presses two buttons, but it seems my motion is locked into the last button press. This is a problem when I want to, for example, do the Gotcha Grab instead. Is this common for 2D games? It feels like the controls are too lenient in spots.

Frank Reynolds on this forum posted about it just before launch. It's called negative edge. Basically when you let go of BP, after pressing it, it counts as a second input of "BP". It's in Street Fighter, but leniency in this game is something else. It's a problem unique to this game if you wish to learn Jax.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah they cranked up the negative edge in this game something fierce. I think I heard someone say it's like 2 seconds?
I thought I remembered something about negative edge from my SF4 readings but didn't think it functioned like this.

tim1138

Neuromancer said:
Any tips on being that asshole Shao Kahn in story mode? I'm on beginner and I still can't beat him! (Using Liu Kang.)

Get as far away as possible from him and spam low fireballs.

Neuromancer said:
Any tips on being that asshole Shao Kahn in story mode? I'm on beginner and I still can't beat him! (Using Liu Kang.)
lure him into his taunt, attack when he is taunting. jump back right after and block his missle spam and repeat. Once you get his routine down he is quite easy.

NIGHT-

Neuromancer said:

Stay far and use a lot of fire balls. Only go close when hes taunting

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
There's a Reptile DLC code going on eBay for $71 and the auction isn't even over yet! I really don't care what people spend their money on, but that's a bit silly.

I love changing the training stage to the courtyard(day) and pressing start, nostalgia while I combo!

Rooftop with classic music is cool too but I never got into mk3 much, everyone knows the rooftop tune though, right?

SmithnCo

vatstep said:
There's a Reptile DLC code going on eBay for $71 and the auction isn't even over yet! I really don't care what people spend their money on, but that's a bit silly.

...That's more than the game. People are actually bidding on it? lol

There is no doubt that these klassic costumes will be sold digitally in the future in a five dollar pack or something.

vatstep said:

Can't believe I redeemed mine. Never again.

Kalnos

Banned
Well, I haven't redeemed my Reptile code because PSN is down. Perhaps I should consider it.
KuGsj.gif

strideramc

vatstep said:

I have Reptile codes for the PS3 and 360. If I can get this kind of money I will cover the cost of my PS3 TE version.

VariantX

Neuromancer said:

Stay away but not too far away, you want him to do either his taunt or his upwards hammer swing. If he does the upwards swing, respond with a low fireball or a flying kick if your confident of the timing. If he taunts id hit him with quick and dirty combo into bike kick if you're close and quick enough, if not, just a flying kick will do. Also spam low fireballs from the other end of the screen to build your super bar high enough to do an x-ray since having your opponent block your attacks builds it faster than actually hitting him. And khan will block most of it, but occasionally try to throw a spear at you in which you're already going to avoid it because spears can be ducked. If he throws the hammer at you, you have enough time to simply jump over it. Get within range enough to bait him out, then nail him with an x-ray and make sure to hit him with something as he falls down to get that extra damage. It took about 6 tries but thats how i cheesed my way to victory.

BAW

Banned
There are some fantastic tits in this game. I can't stop looking at them. Anyone else feel the same?

SmithnCo

Kalnos said:
Well, I haven't redeemed my Reptile code because PSN is down. Perhaps I should consider it.
KuGsj.gif

I'm in the same boat.

Just looked on eBay too, these people must really like Reptile, there's another going for $35 with four hours left still. Wut.

SmithnCo said:
I'm in the same boat.

Just looked on eBay too, these people must really like Reptile, there's another going for $35 with four hours left still. Wut.
I think it's because he's had the biggest change from how people remember him visually, with many people hating his new look.
Me? I'm glad for anything that reduces the ridiculous number of ninjas in the game.

Master Thespian said:
I think it's because he's had the biggest change from how people remember him visually, with many people hating his new look.
Me? I'm glad for anything that reduces the ridiculous number of ninjas in the game.

3627681312_56f485f4ea.jpg

Great game.

I hate the fact the bosses have hyper armor at times when they do their special moves.

Seriously what the fuck? They are already strong enough. Whoever thought of that shouldn't be pitching ideas anymore.

Story was fun, playing through Ladder mode to see all the endings and playing the Tower when I'm fedd up with Ladder Mode. They need to fix the online portion of the game, I want to choose where I enter.

ferr

SmithnCo said:
I'm in the same boat.

what the hell, I see a reptile dlc going for $71 right now. this crap will pay for my game, nice.

fernoca

StickyFingers said:
Story was fun, playing through Ladder mode to see all the endings and playing the Tower when I'm fedd up with Ladder Mode. They need to fix the online portion of the game, I want to choose where I enter.
What do you mean by "choose where I enter"?
Ranked and Player Match are basically quick-matches, so it looks for a match and puts you in there.

If you want to look for specific online players, chat with them, see their connection quality (or something like that :p), etc. you have to join one of the lobbies and then either choose any random player or wait for someone to invite you. Those matches count for the Player Match leaderboard only, obviously. Each lobby has a 100-players cap.

fernoca said:
What do you mean by "choose where I enter"?
Ranked and Player Match are basically quick-matches, so it looks for a match and puts you in there.

If you want to look for specific online players, chat with them, see their connection quality (or something like that :p), etc. you have to join one of the lobbies and then either choose any random player or wait for someone to invite you. Those matches count for the Player Match leaderboard only, obviously. Each lobby has a 100-players cap.
For example, just like SFIV. And also the ability to make my own KOTH room, instead joining, watching a few games and when coming so close to finally fight, the game disconnects.

Filth

StickyFingers said:
For example, just like SFIV. And also the ability to make my own KOTH room, instead joining, watching a few games and when coming so close to finally fight, the game disconnects.

I believe you can make your own king of the hill room

fernoca

StickyFingers said:
But you can. Either create a lobby or enter to one and look for players. You can crate a specific match like King of the Hill, 1 vs 1, Tag; are the basic options when creating matches.

Inside a lobby you can see the users in there, chat with them, see what kind of game they are playing, their stats, their connection quality (green, red, 4, 1, etc.)

Also keep in mind that creating/joining a lobby is separate from creating/joining a match. Joining a match will throw you directly to the first match the system finds, creating one will look for any available player and put you against him/her.

vatstep said:
Hmm I have a reptile code... Crazy

Raxus said:
Ugh, learning sub-zero is a bitch. I am thinking about dropping him.
sub is a bit sucky in this, no ice teleport like in mkvdc, slow as a brick, teleport attacks own in this game and ice is too easy to block. It's one reason why I went with Ermac instead.

fernoca said:
But you can. Either create a lobby or enter to one and look for players. You can crate a specific match like King of the Hill, 1 vs 1, Tag; are the basic options when creating matches.

Also keep in mind that creating/joining a lobby is separate from creating/joining a match.
You can? I need to look into that next time I play.

Also, anybody knows why they changed/keep changin the special moves for the fighters. To me it's annoying to learn an old game's moves anew. I stopped playing MK at DA.

I can do Ryu's Hadouken in every game he's been in as example, but to do Ice Blast I had to press a kick button!? instead of a punch button.

I guess I should sit down in the lab, choose a fighter that's good for me and learn.

so whats the consensus on badass characters?

I've been spending all my time learning Noob? Seems most people are digging johnny cage, smoke, kitana and scorpion?

Solemn Nomad

Neo Member
I'm stuck on the Raiden vs Shao Kahn match in story mode. Its infuriating. It seems like he is ten times harder than the previous match against him. My strategy so far has been to teleport behind him right before he is about to attack and sweep/psycho crusher him but I still can't beat him! Any tips would be appreciated.

The up close gameplay in this game feels limited due to the air kick power of knockback, you can do some real nice close combos in this game but everyone is jumping around, teleporting, rolling (mileena) and your best chance is to block a move and punish. I know mk has always been like this but it sucks a bit :(

Atruvius

Solemn Nomad said:
I'm stuck on the Raiden vs Shao Kahn match in story mode. Its infuriating. It seems like he is ten times harder than the previous match against him. My strategy so far has been to teleport behind him right before he is about to attack and sweep/psycho crusher him but I still can't beat him! Any tips would be appreciated.
Get away from him and spam lighting ball.

fernoca

StickyFingers said:
You can? I need to look into that next time I play.

Also, anybody knows why they changed/keep changin the special moves for the fighters. To me it's annoying to learn an old game's moves anew. I stopped playing MK at DA.

I can do Ryu's Hadouken in every game he's been in as example, but to do Ice Blast I had to press a kick button!? instead of a punch button.

I guess I should sit down in the lab, choose a fighter that's good for me and learn.
Yeah. I've created a few King of the Hill matches, at least private ones to play with friends. So it's fun, we headsets, and little characters saying "BOOO" when you win.. :p
But the options are there for general matches, lobbies, etc.

Moves-wise, there's no definitive reason. Seems to be a mix of putting some moves in traditional inputs (ex. directions + a punch or kick button), while others in traditional positions (ex. directions + top-right button). They also completely changed many moves and added a few new ones; so the whole "reboot thing" seems also to be a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom