• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filth

i started playing with kung to and was beasting with him within the first few days. i dont want to keep using him cause every1 is going to think im on the bandwagon :( i heard sindel is pretty good to. i never used her though but i may try to. i really wanna use liu kang but has anyone found a way to link his x ray into anything ?

Barrage

Master Thespian said:
Eh, seems like it'll still end up being a bunch of Noob, Ermac, Kung Lao, and Smoke teams.

Except it will make characters with great assists viable when they wouldn't be otherwise (e.g. Sektor), as well as covering the weaknesses of certain characters (e.g. those who lack teleports).

Throavium

I don't quite understand who Kabal is
he got burned when he was an ally of Stryker, then when Shang Tsung revived him, he already knew who Kano was. And Kano says, "You should come back to the Black Dragon Clan" I don't understand. Is he a police officer originally or was he a part of the clan first?

DR2K

Banned
Just finished story mode, still have challenge mode, ladder mode, and tag team stuff to do. Oh also online, but PSN is down.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Throavium said:
he got burned when he was an ally of Stryker, then when Shang Tsung revived him, he already knew who Kano was. And Kano says, "You should come back to the Black Dragon Clan" I don't understand. Is he a police officer originally or was he a part of the clan first?

He's a reformed criminal, he was a Black Dragon but saw the error of his ways and joined the police fighting the evil he once perpetuated.

Throavium said:

I didn't think it was difficult to understand. He was involved in the Black Dragon Clan and then went straight and started working with Stryker and whatever his affiliation is. SWAT or what have you.

Edit: Oh sweet Jesus, I forgot the fighting game spoilers. Hold on... hold on... there.

fernoca

Throavium said:
It's on his bio. He was an ex-Black Dragon member that joined the police, to change his old ways.

Kabal bio said:
Once a member of the Black Dragon clan, Kabal gave up his life of crime and put his fighting skills to more positive uses. He joined the New York City police force to kombat the underworld element he once served. This transition helped ease the pain of dark memories. But when New York was invaded he underwent another transformation--one that would afflict him physically. Severely injured in battle, he is doomed to wear a life support system forever.

Teknoman

Im sticking with Kung Lao since I was there before the bandwagon started rolling. Really, its just like not playing with Ken or Ryu just because everyone else might use them.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
God's Beard said:
Play to win.

Aaaaand this kind of mentality is what ruins fighters for me, I think. At least playing online. I mean, if you were in a room just hanging out with a bunch of friends playing MK, would you use the same character over and over? Part of the fun is changing things up and using different characters.

I don't know...maybe I just can't wrap my head around the tournament mentality. And I was specifically trying to avoid this with MK, too. I really, REALLY don't want to get rid of it after a month like every other fighter this gen. Especially since that would just prove my friend who said that's exactly what's going to happen right. Dammit. =/

(Note: God's Beard, I'm not specifically addressing you here. Just so we're clear. :D)

fernoca

ProtoCents said:
Edit: Oh sweet Jesus, I forgot the fighting game spoilers. Hold on... hold on... there.
Hahaha. No need to spoiler it. :p
It has been on the OP since April 12. Since the bio doesn't spoil any "important event or twist" and it's the "basic bio" that the character has (all unlocked and there on Nekropolis); if anything the individual ladder endings would be "spoilers", since those "spoil" the specific outcome of that character and need to be unlocked too.. :p

Nemesis_

Seraphis Cain said:
Aaaaand this kind of mentality is what ruins fighters for me, I think. At least playing online. I mean, if you were in a room just hanging out with a bunch of friends playing MK, would you use the same character over and over? Part of the fun is changing things up and using different characters.

I don't know...maybe I just can't wrap my head around the tournament mentality. And I was specifically trying to avoid this with MK, too. I really, REALLY don't want to get rid of it after a month like every other fighter this gen. Especially since that would just prove my friend who said that's exactly what's going to happen right. Dammit. =/

(Note: God's Beard, I'm not specifically addressing you here. Just so we're clear. :D)

I feel this way too. Whenever I play a ranked match (I rarely do these days because everyone seems to play so dirty) then I choose my "best team".

For the most part I play online with friends or within the same room with friends, and we just choose random or pick randomly and fuck around. None of this PLAY TO WIN YOU ARE WEAK IF YOU DO NOT bullshit.

It's not like I'm trying to enlist in some pro tournament and clean up.

Wow. Finished story mode and it was great! So happy they finally fleshed everything out and really developed the mythology.
So excited for the sequel that will take on the MK4 lore.

fernoca

By the way, finishing Tag Ladder will only show the ending of the first character you chose; but the ending of both characters will be unlocked in Nekropolis.

fernoca said:
By the way, finishing Tag Ladder will only show the ending of the first character you chose; but the ending of both characters will be unlocked in Nekropolis.

Does the time count towards both as well?

I just created a GAF room (360) if anyone wants to join and beat on a scrub Nightwolf.

oh hey, there is a thread in the Community forum for this type of post. Forgive me good sirs.

Hmm.... you can't combo traps into themselves, but you can combo them into each other. So you can do something like blah blah Net, blah blah Ice beam assist, juggle, etc.

Or you can do blah blah Net, blah blah juggle, tag in, ice ball, blah blah, and not spend meter.

It's pretty interesting. It seems like for these reasons, trap characters become a lot stronger in tag team, and overall the two sub zeroes seem to have the most utility in their assists. Quan Chi also has a vertical unblockable beam, but combos aren't quite as free off of it.

Is there a character with a quick fullscreen move that leads to full combos? Kabal, maybe? Seems like it would be good with Saibot's block disabler.

Teams that look interesting so far to me:

Cyrax/Sub Zero - fantastic zoning team
Cyrax/Sektor - another fantastic zoning team with ridiculous juggles
Quan Chi/Sub Zero - This is really for buffing the shit out of quan chi and giving him free life back
Kabal/Noob Saibot - basic reset team
Sonya/Noob Saibot - basic reset team
Smoke/Reptile - this team will fuck up people's shit, no joke. I just thought of it right now, and it's kind of stupid. Reptile's Yoga catastrophe assist with an invisible teleporter? come on now.

Nightwolf/Reptile is probably pretty good, too.

Aselith said:
That's weird. I tried that and it seemed to skip numbers and not go in order. I'll try again maybe I was going forward a little or something.

Blood Marsh is confusing as fuck because some of the bodies are just below the surface so it's easy to miss them.

Weenerz

Banned
Have two Xbox 360 avatar items for female avatars only, a Netherrealm shirt, and a scorpion outfit. First two to send me a PM gets them.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Public service announcement: Midway no longer exists as of like 2 years ago. It's kinda weird how often people say "Midway did this and this with MK9." Though I guess it shouldn't be surprising since MK was under Midway's banner for so long.

Seraphis Cain said:

It's not necessarily people with a "tournament" mentality. Maybe it's just people who want to learn their characters. There's a lot more to learning a character than learning how to do their special moves and some combos. You actually have to play as them.

fernoca said:

The real question here is "does this count for beating the ladder with every character"?
I mean, really, if it does, there's no reason to not do tag ladder until you pop the trophy for the grappling/x-ray/fatalities/ladder stuff... :)

I thought you got both endings, but when I did cyrax/sektor and only saw cyrax's ending, I went back and did solo ladder with sektor. If the tag ladder works just as good as regular ladder, I'll go back to doing it that way just to get all the endings and trophies to pop.

scoot3r

Aselith said:
Has anyone published a map of the Krypt yet? I have two full areas clear and I'd love to just get the important stuff on the last two at first as I only have 30000 left. It's really hard to find stuff it seems like just based on the number.

I found a list on G4 site that had all the alt costumes and fatalitys. Thats all i wanted anyways

scoot3r

Seraphis Cain said:

Funny you say that. I played in a tourney at gamestop last monday on release night. First round i used subzero, and thought he was rather lackluster but i won. next round used smoke and decimated until the finals. Was it cheap? Maybe. Would my opponent have granted such mercy? Doubtful. Play to win

Pookaki said:
I just created a GAF room (360) if anyone wants to join and beat on a scrub Nightwolf.

oh hey, there is a thread in the Community forum for this type of post. Forgive me good sirs.
Come join us! A few of us just doing random

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
scoot3r said:
Funny you say that. I played in a tourney at gamestop last monday on release night. First round i used subzero, and thought he was rather lackluster but i won. next round used smoke and decimated until the finals. Was it cheap? Maybe. Would my opponent have granted such mercy? Doubtful. Play to win

That's an actual tournament, though. I have no problems with the tournament mentality in that setting.

Seraphis Cain said:
Aaaaand this kind of mentality is what ruins fighters for me, I think. At least playing online. I mean, if you were in a room just hanging out with a bunch of friends playing MK, would you use the same character over and over?

Yeah, because if I like a fighting game, it's because I like the fighting part of it.

Lost Fragment said:
It's not necessarily people with a "tournament" mentality. Maybe it's just people who want to learn their characters. There's a lot more to learning a character than learning how to do their special moves and some combos. You actually have to play as them.

Pretty much. It's like learning an instrument. The fun is getting to the point where you can use the character at a more efficient level. You can say Kung Lao is your favorite character, and it'll mean more than you just liking his character design. You'll have fond memories (hopefully) of playing with that character, win or lose.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The amount of rage-quitters and shit-talking/whiners (which often then leads to rage-quitting) has been staggering for me. One guy even starting lying in a room I was in and said he beat me, which I found absolutely bizarre, since anyone can see the amount of wins/losses a person has.

It's getting to the point that I can't even play this game for very long if no one on my friends list is playing it...it's hard to try out stuff I've practiced offline when people quit on you the moment they start losing, and the lag can make it even worse.

Even more so than in MvC3, people also cannot take ZONING. I don't understand why it's so difficult to STOP CONSTANTLY JUMPING FORWARD or trying to spam telepeort moves, but idiots do this in droves, and if they want to keep jumping right into my projectiles, so be it.

Just stop complaining when you're too stupid to hold the block button or can't stop doing the same move/combo endlessly and get punished for it.

Hmm... I think I'm done with MK now. The only thing holding me in is the tag team, and Marvel is way more interesting when it comes to team construction... and everything but the story and tower mode. Plus, I'm moving and really shouldn't have dropped money on the game anyway, so I'll just sell it.

I'll go through a few more challenges until somebody on a trading site buys it off me.

So...when Liu Kang does his Dragon fatality, he presumably eats the victim. Would that victim's remains still be inside him? And what of the aftertaste as he transforms back?

Unicorn

God's Beard said:
Hmm... I think I'm done with MK now. The only thing holding me in is the tag team, and Marvel is way more interesting when it comes to team construction... and everything but the story and tower mode. Plus, I'm moving and really shouldn't have dropped money on the game anyway, so I'll just sell it.

I'll go through a few more challenges until somebody on a trading site buys it off me.
What are your overall thoughts on the game?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
cuevas said:
Lyte the gaf rooms are usually pretty tame.

I need to see if there's any available when I hop on next time. Also joining the chat for the PS3 version whenever PSN comes back up.

I can take rage-quitters in other games (I usually find it funny TBH), but I'm not as familiar with MK as I am with other fighters, and feel like I'm getting nowhere with the way things are online right now. If nothing gets improved, this is going to get sold off.

Just finished hosting an MK party at my place. 9 of us crammed into a small living room, playing the game, eating pizza, and watching MK the movie and MK Annihilation on blu ray.

Good times!

I even made a poster for the event!

The guy on the bottom right is a friend who hates on MK9 and thinks it's garbage, and was saying months ago that it would never get into EVO, lolz.

vqr47l.jpg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Valle is working it out pretty good with kang

LOL at the respect points lmao.

Wow valle has some sick lui kang combos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom