• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unicorn said:
What are your overall thoughts on the game?

I think it's a really good game that comes with an unprecedented amount of content for a fighting game. I'm not a huge fan of all the universal moves, and sometimes it feels like the tag mechanic and assists were almost an after thought. There's also been a lot of weird glitches when it comes to wake up time and that sort of thing that annoy me.

I can't speak for it's competitive viability, but it seems like 50/50s, unblockable zoning and teleport punishes are the name of the game. It just feels like there's not much mid tone, everything seems like action/reaction at full force. It's not good or bad, but MK is definitely its own game. I just wish characters had more subtlety, but the assist sytem is an ok start. If most assists didn't lock down your character while they were being performed, the game would be a lot more interesting. That's my only serious complaint. As it is, the only assists people will use will be punishes like ice beam, or the rare assist that lets you move around, like homing missile or acid bubble. Most characters can combo into other characters with ground bounces, and ex moves aren't usually worth the extra percent in combos.

I like combo breaker a lot, especially that it takes 2/3 of the meter. It's a pretty good system, but building meter is really off balance because you don't get it from normals, but you get it from whiffing specials, which means that Cyber Sub Zero can whiff dive kicks and throw bombs and teleport for free bars, but Liu Kang is shit out of luck. I'm a Virtua Fighter player, so I'm actually a big fan of dial combos and buffering specials, I think it works well. It just feels like it's the first game in a series with all the half-realized mechanics.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
DryEyeRelief said:
Watching a match without lag doesn't translate to actually playing a match without lag.
Well they are all well adjusted it seems 14 hit combos etc.

You know what, I'd love to give you some impressions of the psn netcode but yeah...

Calcaneus

Had no idea they got such a huge setup for this game at Wal-Mart ( yeah I went to walmart today). It was my first time playing the full version and man its awesome. I promised myself I wouldn't fuck with games seriously until finals were done though, so its gonna be another two weeks before I get this. Which is good I guess because PSN being down would piss me off so much.

SpacLock said:
Well I don't expect it to feel like you're playing on the same console, but I was hoping it would be at least less laggy than most fighters out.

Nope. If you're only buying this for online multiplayer, check back in a month.

Dre3001

So I am wondering what does everyone think of Cyborg Sub Zero??

I have not seen him mentioned at all and I think under the right hands he can be pretty deadly

He is basically the best parts of Sub Zero mixed with the best parts of Cyrax

To me he plays like if they took all the defensive strengths of Sub Zero (Ice clone) and mixed it with the speed and offensive strengths of Cyrax.

Maybe this is just me though who thinks he can be a beast but I am surprised nobody is mentioning him at all.

parasight

Dre3001 said:
So I am wondering what does everyone think of Cyborg Sub Zero??

I have not seen him mentioned at all and I think under the right hands he can be pretty deadly

He is basically the best parts of Sub Zero mixed with the best parts of Cyrax

To me he plays like if they took all the defensive strengths of Sub Zero (Ice clone) and mixed it with the speed and offensive strengths of Cyrax.

Maybe this is just me though who thinks he can be a beast but I am surprised nobody is mentioning him at all.

I really like him. I'm not a very competitive fighting gamer, but I think he's got a great array of borrowed moves. His parry is especially nice.

scoot3r

Im really not too fond of Cyber Subby to be honest. His teleport move is weaker than other characters. The floaty kick thing is just asking for an uppercut, and really how many projectiles does a man need? One good one is enough IMO

Lost Fragment said:
We shouldn't be blaming NRS for the shit netcode. We should be blaming...ourselves?

I agree with some of the things he's saying to a certain extent, but give me a break. There's no excuse for the game's online being as terrible as it is.

MK is a revival for a franchise that has been gone for so long, so he wants to see it fly even with its faults.

Of course isn't this the guy that told the testyourmight forums that NRS knows about the netcode, and hinted at the possibility of changes? My hopes are dashed with that youtube video's message.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lost Fragment said:
We shouldn't be blaming NRS for the shit netcode. We should be blaming...ourselves?

I agree with some of the things he's saying to a certain extent, but give me a break. There's no excuse for the game's online being as terrible as it is.

Yes Tom Brady, there is absolutely lag "in the traditional sense". Moves have very noticeable input lag under anything but an absolutely flawless connection.

EDIT: Listened to the whole thing and this guy is seriously delusional.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lost Fragment said:

hrm

Online play and a good tournament game are not mutually exclusive. This is seriously one of the most horrible excuses for bad online play in a long time.

Yes SF4 and MVC3 netcode is not perfect but top players still play online regularly when they can't play others face to face. Too help the community grow online should be fairly decent. There are a lot of online on sf4 players that transitioned to the tournament scene and that really helped the community grow.

That is really a piss poor excuse for bad netcode.

This is kind of a random question, but I can't make my own threads and this is as good a place as any for it...

Did anybody else really enjoy that Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks beat-em up last generation? I thought it was really fun. Good, fluid combat, fun boss battles, and the MK lore lends itself to great environments.

I wouldn't mind a sequel.

Ok, I'm done.

fernoca

I love MK and everything, but (nothing personal) that video sounded really...bullshit-y. As if he was just making excuses for the problems many has been facing. As if the game was designed on purpose to run like that online, and people should adjust to it. I haven't experienced that many problems online, and lag yet I can understand the frustration of many.

The problem is there, making excuses is not going to make it go away, or people forget about it, or people adjust to it.

The Antitype said:
This is kind of a random question, but I can't make my own threads and this is as good a place as any for it...

Did anybody else really enjoy that Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks beat-em up last generation? I thought it was really fun. Good, fluid combat, fun boss battles, and the MK lore lends itself to great environments.

I wouldn't mind a sequel.

Ok, I'm done.
Hehehe.
Yeah, many enjoyed. Even bishoptl made a thread recently prasing it.
It didn't sold as much as the fighting ones; but still sold well. A sequel was in the works, but cancelled. A PSP port was in the works, but cancelled.

The team has said a few times, to let them know (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) that people want a sequel. :p

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, NOW all the tower challenges are actually complete. Thanks PSN for not distracting me with that bothersome online functionality.

fernoca said:
I love MK and everything, but (nothing personal) that video sounded really...bullshit-y. As if he was just making excuses for the problems many has been facing. As if the game was designed on purpose to run like that online, and people should adjust to it. I haven't experienced that many problems online, and lag yet I can understand the frustration of many.

The problem is there, making excuses is not going to make it go away, or people forget about it, or people adjust to it.

Hehehe.
Yeah, many enjoyed. Even bishoptl made a thread recently prasing it.
It didn't sold as much as the fighting ones; but still sold well. A sequel was in the works, but cancelled. A PSP port was in the works, but cancelled.

The team has said a few times, to let them know (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) that people want a sequel. :p

Thanks. At this point, I'd be happy with an HD remake with online co-op. :D

Nedjoe

Neo Member
So I live in Aus and my kopy has cleared customs (yay!). I know this is a stretch but seeing as it was just about impossible for me to get the pre order skins I was wondering if anyone had any spares? I would be willing to trade Steam games or something like that. I would be happy with any of them but Reptile would be godly.

Glass Joe

Not sure if it was this thread or the spoiler one, but thanks to whoever recommended the new Xbox pad with the transformable d-pad. Kinda pricey but I needed a new primary one anyway and couldn't justify the $ of a stick. Anyway it's light years better than what I was using (first test was teleporting Raiden back and forth and it was much more consistent). Fatalities are much easier too.

Riposte

I remember someone made a separate thread saying how MK9 was going to show Capcom how to do online. Egg on face, etc.

Oh look. Antihype is back. Didnt you sell the game already to some unlucky kid for street value? You should be celebrating by spending that hard earned cash! Aren't we all craving for attention now?

shagg_187 said:
Oh look. Antihype is back. Didnt you sell the game already to some unlucky kid for street value? You should be celebrating by spending that hard earned cash! Aren't we all craving for attention now?

wtf is going on?

Free Jade klassic skin to whoever can make me a unique avatar out of this:

6s6nuw.jpg

I'll decide which one is the winner after my Easter feast and get together. The one I want to use right away will be the winner.

god fucking damn online lag, 4 ping dots thought it was going to be good but someone just spams kano balls at me, with a delay you can't block correctly or do good ermac combos.

piece of shit online, boon is a noob letting this shit past quality testing. I am really disappointed as I wanted to play this online for a long time, resorting to quick spam moves is not how it should be played.

Bleepey

Diablohead said:
god fucking damn online lag, 4 ping dots thought it was going to be good but someone just spams kano balls at me, with a delay you can't block correctly or do good ermac combos.

piece of shit online, boon is a noob letting this shit past quality testing. I am really disappointed as I wanted to play this online for a long time, resorting to quick spam moves is not how it should be played.

I played the online against some random guy, the connection was so bad it was like a fucking slide show.

RedStep

MoonsaultSlayer said:

I'll decide which one is the winner after my Easter feast and get together. The one I want to use right away will be the winner.

Two simple adjustments at this early hour:

dLf7L.jpg

and/or

KkLCm.jpg

Bleepey said:
I played the online against some random guy, the connection was so bad it was like a fucking slide show.
i've had smooth matches but compared to my offline speeds of button input they don't work online half the time, my ermac 40% juggles end up being whiffed and I get punished by someone doing teleport moves :/ online is a completely different beast and I dislike it.

Only my cousin gives me a near perfect connection as he lives 1 hour away from me but even then you can feel a delay on moves now and again, doesn't help that i've played SF4 PC for 2 years.

God fucking damn, Smoke's bomb only OTGs in training due to a glitch, or it can be blocked in matches due to a glitch. My 51% meterless bnb (and all my other bnbs!) are useless :(

Hopefully it's a glitch that will be fixed, otherwise it seems weird that the move has properties which means it can only be used once in a combo in training.

Spirit of Jazz said:
God fucking damn, Smoke's bomb only OTGs in training due to a glitch, or it can be blocked in matches due to a glitch. My 51% meterless bnb (and all my other bnbs!) are useless :(

Hopefully it's a glitch that will be fixed, otherwise it seems weird that the move has properties which means it can only be used once in a combo in training.
if smoke bomb was unblockable smoke would be way way too good, how exactly are you seeing it in training which is different to a match?

Frankfurt said:
So, which videos/trailers are included in the disc? Is the violent CG intro/trailer in there?
Not seen any of the advertising cg trailers yet, they might be in the krypt but no idea.

You would think a cg intro would appear before the title screen.

sleepykyo

Spirit of Jazz said:

Someone was using it in a tourney.

Ugh, just read about the massive ****up with the Prima Games guide. Seriously, I REFUSE to accept a guide with over 30 mistakes and with ENTIRE movesets screwed up.

If you're interested in those quick-reference move cards, just save yourself the heartache and download it off the official site. If I can save one person from purchasing this piece of crap, my job here is done.

http://www.primagames.com/blog/2011/04/19/mkcards/

Makes me glad that I canceled my KE guide order a few hours before it was going to be sent out, was actually looking forward to it too.

sleepykyo said:
Someone was using it in a tourney.

Maybe it's an online issue then? I can't even manage to get jump in kick, air grab into otg smoke bomb off online.

The bnb's jump in P, FK2FPBP, neutral P, jump in K into air grab 24BP, dash, FK2FPBP, jump in K into air grab 24BP.

Registers as a 51% combo in training but ends after the first air grab online.

Aske

Frankfurt said:
So, which videos/trailers are included in the disc? Is the violent CG intro/trailer in there?

Yep. Go to 'Extras', then 'Trailers'. Lots of good stuff in there, including the sweet CG trailer. No need to unlock them in the Krypt.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

6s6nuw.jpg

reptilefix.jpg

edit: fixed the outline a bit now

light version too:
reptileday.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom