• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
gray_fox224 said:
I need help. How can I defeat
Shao Kahn with Raiden in story mode?

Every time he attacks with something teleport behind him and nail him with whatever you want. All his attack animations are super long for a reason.

Kimosabae

Banned
MThanded said:
There are a lot of people that dont have others around them interested in playing. Why even include it if its mediocre at best and below mediocre normally.

Yeah I love playing with people face to face but that was a lot more possible when I was around others who wanted to play. Now I am off at grad school and no one else is interested in playing and I don't have a lot of time to find people to play with or go to local meetups. I can fit in an online session every now and then.

If you are gonna include online mode it should be at least decent. MVC3 and SF4 have decent online playability. Its sad because mk9 has great online functionality but the actual in game netcode is sub par.

I think you missed this part:

"Online should be the exception - not the rule".

Your situation would fit into the latter.

But as Brady implies, a lot of people claiming to be in situations similar to yours aren't truly in as hopeless a situation as they'd like to think they are. They simply value the convenience of an online mode over community building, which actually takes effort and a modicum of social skills.

Also, I'm quite sure NR didn't make the netcode suck on purpose, but whatever.

Kimosabae said:
I think you missed this part:

"Online should be the exception - not the rule".

Your situation would fit into the latter.

But as Brady implies, a lot of people claiming to be in situations similar to yours aren't truly in as hopeless a situation as they'd like to think they are. They simply value the convenience of an online mode over community building, which actually takes effort and a modicum of social skills.

Also, I'm quite sure NR didn't make the netcode suck on purpose, but whatever.

There is no should here. If people decide they prefer to play online, that's fine. There's also clear value in building a local community, but that's neither here nor there. Online should at least attempt to be equal to local, and it's understandable that people can be miffed with the online play.

You say they should have to actually work to play a game. They did work, they worked at whatever job to earn the money to buy the game.

Snapshot King said:
You're just saying that because you bought the guide and want to justify it.

I'm saying that because the tosser could have just returned the guide to get his money back.

But no, waaaay more hardcore to destroy something you bought to impress people on youtube. :/

Criminal Upper said:
I'm saying that because the tosser could have just returned the guide to get his money back.

But no, waaaay more hardcore to destroy something you bought to impress people on youtube. :/

It is though, it's a cool end to a review.

alstein

Snapshot King said:
There is no should here. If people decide they prefer to play online, that's fine. There's also clear value in building a local community, but that's neither here nor there. Online should at least attempt to be equal to local, and it's understandable that people can be miffed with the online play.

You say they should have to actually work to play a game. They did work, they worked at whatever job to earn the money to buy the game.

Also, try doing local at 5am without being dressed. That's the big value of online, you can do it anytime without having to set things up and driving somewhere. Sometimes it's a long drive to find comp- not everyone lives in big cities, or runs on a standard schedule.

This is why online's important- it does even the playing field some for those folks who are on nonstandard, nontraditional schedules, and allows them to have fun with the game playing the game if they're not interested in the competitive scene (as it does others also).

A person can "play to win" without caring about offline play.

Kimosabae

Banned
Snapshot King said:
There is no should here.

Of course there is: the "should" you've shoehorned into this conversation.

Nowhere in those posts did I mention what any one person "should" do. Obviously, people tend to see merit in actions that require diligence and social skills, and condemn anything less than that in a variety of degrees - but I wasn't debating ethics.

So, you're either jumping the gun or you're fighting some type of neurosis instigated by the discussion.

There's also clear value in building a local community, but that's neither here nor there.

Why? Because you say it isn't?

That's the basis of the video and the discussion I chose to instigate. If you have nothing of worth to add, you can keep this non sequitur garbage in the holster.

Ugh. Disgusting.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Free Jade klassic skin to whoever can make me a unique avatar out of this:

6s6nuw.jpg

I'll decide which one is the winner after my Easter feast and get together. The one I want to use right away will be the winner.

What costume is this?!

Kimosabae said:
Of course there is: the "should" you've shoehorned into this conversation.

Nowhere in those posts did I mention what any one person "should" do.

Kimosabae said:
Online should be the exception - not the rule.

Really? Maybe you should get your eyes checked. In addition.

Kimosabae said:
Ugh. Disgusting.

It's disgusting for something you bought with your own dollars for leisure to be purely for leisure? Why I never. How could I be so naive!

Kimosabae

Banned
I'll eat some crow, but there's a distinction between our use of the word that I'll make clearer.

"Online should be the exception not the rule" is a trite phrase that only expresses my ideal of a multiplayer community with balance. It wasn't meant to import any sense of responsibility to anyone in said ideal. The fact that I never even considered my use of the word "should" there should indicate the triteness of that phrase.

Snapshot King said:
It's disgusting for something you bought with your own dollars for leisure to be purely for leisure? Why I never. How could I be so naive!

Yeah. Nothing I stated in my posts contradicts this.

Kimosabae said:
I'll eat some crow, but there's a distinction between our use of the word that I'll make clearer.

"Online should be the exception not the rule" is a trite phrase that only expresses my ideal of a multiplayer community with balance. It wasn't meant to import any sense of responsibility to anyone in said ideal. The fact that I never even considered my use of the word "should" there should indicate the triteness of that phrase.

Yeah. Nothing I stated in my posts contradicts this.

You're serious? You're saying that people who don't want to spend all the time building a community aren't entitled to having at least having some decent matches, therefore the online doesn't matter? And that my assertion that when you spend your money, you deserve some decent online, is disgusting? Really? That offends you? It fills you with disgust that someone buys this game and wants to play online only or with some friends?

Kimosabae

Banned
Snapshot King said:
You're serious? You're saying that people who don't want to spend all the time building a community aren't entitled to having at least having some decent matches, therefore the online doesn't matter? And that my assertion that when you spend your money, you deserve some decent online, is disgusting? Really? That offends you? It fills you with disgust that someone buys this game and wants to play online only or with some friends?

Yeah, we're done here.

If anyone else wants to deal with your lack of reading comprehension, that's fine by me.

Kimosabae said:
Yeah, we're done here.

If anyone else wants to deal with your lack of reading comprehension, that's fine by me.

Fine, then you explain what you found disgusting about my earlier post. My bad, I must have misunderstood.

KevinCow

Banned
Jesus christ, Shao Kahn is fucking bullshit. Because yes, let's give him a projectile that is unblockable and unduckable and stuns you so he can follow it up with more stuff, on top of him already being invincible like half the time. Yeah, that's fair.

KevinCow said:
Jesus christ, Shao Kahn is fucking bullshit. Because yes, let's give him a projectile that is unblockable and unduckable and stuns you so he can follow it up with more stuff, on top of him already being invincible like half the time. Yeah, that's fair.
teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep, teleport sweep

fernoca

Frankfurt said:
Skarlett is on the disc already, with alternate to boot:

http://www.youtube.com/v/SDmTXprqXRY

Boon is so full of shit (once again). She may be incomplete, but he said they would only start working on the DLC after the game was gold. This is exactly like Capcom with MVC3, the exact thing Boon used as an example of what they would not do.
(Part of) The character model is in the disc, has always been since it was planned for her to be on the disc-release. The actual playable character, moveset, artwork, ending, voice, etc. are not in the disc.

The model used in the backgrounds is a low-poly version of her, and the one in the cutscenes, she appear are prerendered for the most part.

And they didn't said that they will start work after the game was released (which is why Gamepro reported about the characters in their screwed-up "exclusive"), DLC was planned and worked on months before the game was released. What they said as that the DLC won't be an unlock key for stuff that will be on the disc, but a full download. Which that video pretty much confirms, as there's no even a versus artwork for her (as seen also by the secondary costume been like frozen in air)

Is like when people think that Tanya, Frost, Reiko, Daegon and Kira will be playable, because their character models are in the game already (i.e. backgrounds). A character model without, moveset, fatalities, etc. won't do anything. Is like the "secret dungeon" in Zelda Wind Waker. Yeah, it can only be accessed via a cheating-device and yeah it's there; but that doesn't mean it's a full/complete dungeon.

LowParry

KevinCow said:

He's a lot more easier once you figure out his pattern of destruction. Once you score a knock down, as he stand, just jump over him and he'll do his hammer swing. Then combo his ass for another knock down and repeat over and over. Walla.

fernoca

notworksafe said:
Minus the klassic kostumes and fatalities, it seems. :p
Yeah, for that they've only said that it will be released "later". It would't surprise me if they do a bundle and add some other things, call it a "retro pack" to hide the fact that some of those are in the disc already. :p

But for the characters, they did said they won't be on the disc.

zlatko

Banned
I played a lot of online today. At first finding ranked matches took forever, but then it started to find them at a fast clip between fights. I won most of my games, and my only real issues were in games where lag was present which were most.

Trying to do a 43% damage combo with Ermac under awful online lag is next to impossible.

Also----fuck Noob Saibot players in the ass twice hard. Mother fuckers can sit full screen and as Ermac I have no way of getting in. Teleport---get blown up. Try walking towards him----get blown up. Jump into teleport-----get blown up. Block and wait for him to come to me----get blown up. I just couldn't wrap my brain how to fight against Saibot players. Fought like 3 and NONE of them knew a combo. They just block and punished full screen. Also, fuck Kabal too. Ermac has some serious issues starting up offensive in this game if your opponent just wants to sit full screen blocking and punishing you. :(

Is there a way to option select tech throws in this game? I get tick thrown often and haven't found a solid way to tech on reaction when it's laggy.

CcrooK said:
He's a lot more easier once you figure out his pattern of destruction. Once you score a knock down, as he stand, just jump over him and he'll do his hammer swing. Then combo his ass for another knock down and repeat over and over. Walla.

on the
Lui Kang
fight I was able to just spam the shit out of him with fire balls and flying kicks.
Raiden's projectile lighting
isn't quite as effective, I found the key for me was to just stay near him, hit him with quick 3 or 4 hit combos (any more and he counters or flashes invincible) and just keep jumping over him back and forth. Jump over->combo->jump over->combo and then do the
yabba-dabba
when he is taunting.

The Antitype said:
What costume is this?!
One of the Reptile concepts from the art book. Would've been awesome if this was Reptile's primary (and the current primary wasn't used since the alt is similar but better).

Weenerz

Banned
I'm sure it's been asked and answered already, but will they be releasing the pre-order DLC as a separate purchase from the XBLA/PSN? I only have classic Ermac from my TE purchase of the game since I didn't pre-order.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
fernoca said:
(Part of) The character model is in the disc, has always been since it was planned for her to be on the disc-release. The actual playable character, moveset, artwork, ending, voice, etc. are not in the disc.

The model used in the backgrounds is a low-poly version of her, and the one in the cutscenes, she appear are prerendered for the most part.

And they didn't said that they will start work after the game was released (which is why Gamepro reported about the characters in their screwed-up "exclusive"), DLC was planned and worked on months before the game was released. What they said as that the DLC won't be an unlock key for stuff that will be on the disc, but a full download. Which that video pretty much confirms, as there's no even a versus artwork for her (as seen also by the secondary costume been like frozen in air)

Is like when people think that Tanya, Frost, Reiko, Daegon and Kira will be playable, because their character models are in the game already (i.e. backgrounds). A character model without, moveset, fatalities, etc. won't do anything. Is like the "secret dungeon" in Zelda Wind Waker. Yeah, it can only be accessed via a cheating-device and yeah it's there; but that doesn't mean it's a full/complete dungeon.

Besides all of this, it seems some people are determined to crusade against DLC based on arbitrary rationalization.

Even if Boon had never said anything at all or been misreported, do people actually expect the *entire* development team - which is huge! - to sit around on their thumbs and not start getting work done on future DLC components once they've wrapped up their work on the retail game content? Just to make people who complain about DLC "feel better"?

These guys are getting paid. They're not going to stop working on content for the game just because the part of the game that's in the retail package is currently moved into the final stages of development.

KevinCow said:

Bunch of pussies in this thread. Khan is not that hard to beat.

scoobs

I just disagree with their design philosophy... yes lets make the final boss fight a cheese-fest. Spam fireball and keep your distance, yes! This is a great way to test the skills you've learned!

I went ahead an picked this up for 360 last night. I'm normally more of a Capcom guy, but this game is really solid so far. Great graphics, tons of features, and the story mode is pretty cool so far. I'm still pretty mashy when I fight, but even that's fun so far. Kudos to Netherealm on this one.

Fersis said:
Team Spooky is streaming a MvC3 and MK tournament right now.
GAF member nycfurby (or something like that) will be playing MK.
Haunts will be there too.
Nice. I've been waiting to see a MK stream with Team Spooky commentary hype.

I've got a question concerning Babalities.

Is it true that you cannot block in the winning round to be able to perform one? I've heard mixed reports.

NEO0MJ said:
You'd be lying if you said that he wasn't a bitch to fight.

He's a pain in the ass but nor difficult, plus over the last 5 pages there have been numerous strategies and videos on how to beat him. That and telling people over and over that you cant unlock classic costumes.

fernoca

Kaijima said:
Besides all of this, it seems some people are determined to crusade against DLC based on arbitrary rationalization.

Even if Boon had never said anything at all or been misreported, do people actually expect the *entire* development team - which is huge! - to sit around on their thumbs and not start getting work done on future DLC components once they've wrapped up their work on the retail game content? Just to make people who complain about DLC "feel better"?

These guys are getting paid. They're not going to stop working on content for the game just because the part of the game that's in the retail package is currently moved into the final stages of development.
Exactly. Some people are so-against the idea of DLC that they don' even want the developers to think about it before releasing the game.

But of course they have to think at least. Heck, in the case of Netherrealm, they've been talking about DLC for more than 4 years, and for this game they even prominently displayed their interest on DLC last year at E3-2010.

If anything, I'd love if they talked more about DLC and even provided a schedule of their plans.

KevinCow said:
Its like punch out. You need to learn the patterns...

a) stay far away as possible (if you're cornered, jump up and superman out of the corner)
b) learn to read his animations
c) learn how to execute a teleport in a split second when kahn starting a throwing animation (and never use a teleport in other circumstances).
d) learn how to execute a superman move, a combo into superman move (easiest options), or some sort of other combo once you've teleported behind kahn
e) if its late in a losing round or you're way ahead and haven't won a round yet save that x-ray. Otherwise use it as early as possible after a teleport behind Kahn.

and it just needs a lot of practice to get down the execution. I figured this out on my own after playing for an hour and finally beating it.

And in the end it makes Kahn out as a bad ass and makes it legit that he ended up winning at the end of Armageddon. How many times have bosses been built up to be super tough but at the end of a game been really shitty?

infinityBCRT said:
One of the Reptile concepts from the art book. Would've been awesome if this was Reptile's primary (and the current primary wasn't used since the alt is similar but better).

Yeah, I agree, his alt is better. It has the same basic structure of the classic ninja costumes, but a lot of detail to differentiate it from the other ninjas.

Would love for that concept to be in the game though. Beautiful.

alstein

Snapshot King said:

This is one of the philosophical arguments of the FGC: On one side you got people who care about the growth of the community and want to expand fighters to a wider audience, and on the other side you've got people who want to keep it to themselves.

To me, the latter group doesn't give a shit about the growth of the genre, just to their own status. It's not like SF4 turned SF into the World Series of Poker.

I also picked up the Prima guide since I was bringing MK to a friend's house for casuals and nobody knows the codes yet. Fatality codes are right on the very first page of the guide, which is pretty damn convenient. Whoever wasn't playing that round would have the guide open and tell the winner what code to put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom