• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played a lot with Ermac, and damn is he powerful! Smoke seems like he might be on relatively equal footing too though with his teleports, smoke forward/back moves, etc....will need to play as him more and figure out combos.

RedSwirl

Also, I don't remember Sindel being as badass as she is in this game's story mode.
She singlehandedly takes out just about ALL the good guys.

Teknoman

Raxus said:
I was practicing Kung Lao today and I can't combo out of the spin for the life of me. The Dash->FP follow up is what kills me.

All I can do is spin launch, then do the normal 3 punch combo juggle.

got this on friday and love it, last mortal komat game i bought was mortal kombat 3, haha i never could do fatalities back then , had to use cheats lol
felt so awesome doing my first one when i started playing, dat Johnny Cage B^)

i don't really need the Kitana classic character costume , would anyone want to buy it for $15 paypal? *don't bash me* :p

challenge tower is awesome

friskykillface said:
got this on friday and love it, last mortal komat game i bought was mortal kombat 3, haha i never could do fatalities back then , had to use cheats lol
felt so awesome doing my first one when i started playing, dat Johnny Cage B^)

i don't really need the Kitana classic character costume , would anyone want to buy it for $15 paypal? *don't bash me* :p

challenge tower is awesome

is that the only way to get the classic costume for her? is so...IM me.

G-Fex

RedSwirl said:
Also, I don't remember Sindel being as badass as she is in this game's story mode.

kind of a screw you to fans, "Hey remember that screeching bitch? Yeah she just killed all your favorite fighters"

gray_fox224 said:
She reminds me of Lisa Ann.
the_shit_i_put_up_with.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RedSwirl said:

Shao Khan killed Shang Tsung and imbued Sindel with all his power/souls. That's why she was so crazy.

depths20XX

Raxus said:
I was practicing Kung Lao today and I can't combo out of the spin for the life of me. The Dash->FP follow up is what kills me.

Instead of jumping and doing the dive kick after spin, you can just jump straight up and hit them with BP. It puts them in a ground bounce and you don't need to even dash afterwards. I believe it does the same damage too.

zlatko

Banned
QisTopTier said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feMJGjnc6Dc

Anyone know if there is something better than this for kabal... that's the best I've found so far x.x His scaling is kinda bad

You ditch Godmac already or just fooling around with the rest of the cast?

Try out Cyber Sub Zero he'll blow your mind. Has a teleport, has a projectile ice ball, has the slide, has two different dive kicks, has an on screen detonate projectile that is unblockable when it detonates near the opponent and will freeze them, has great block strings, tons of damage, and easy ass combos.

If I bail on Ermac it'll be for Cyber Sub Zero, but right now Godmac is too fun to play. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
zlatko said:
You ditch Godmac already or just fooling around with the rest of the cast?

Try out Cyber Sub Zero he'll blow your mind. Has a teleport, has a projectile ice ball, has the slide, has two different dive kicks, has an on screen detonate projectile that is unblockable when it detonates near the opponent and will freeze them, has great block strings, tons of damage, and easy ass combos.

If I bail on Ermac it'll be for Cyber Sub Zero, but right now Godmac is too fun to play. :p

Cyber sub isnt really my type, was gonna mess with sindel next, and I still use Ermac but I wanna try to learn at least 1/3rd of the cast, there are a lot of characters I like.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
RedSwirl said:
Just asking, but everybody plays this on gamepad right? I've always thought of Mortal Kombat as a pad game, or at least a game that isn't oriented for a Street Fighter stick. Thinking of buying a madcatz PS3 pad for this game.
I rock a stick for all my fighters and platformers now.

TommyManberg said:
Wait
Shang Tsung
is dead now? :( KAHNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Only read if you've beaten the game!
The ending is very Deadly Alliance-esque where most of the good guys died at the end of that game. However Onaga resurrected them to be part of his army. Looks like in the next game Quan Chi will do the same thing. I think the most intriguing thing they could do is make Liu Kang an evil bad ass who is pissed off at Raiden. Imagine him being the Champion of the NeatherRealm. Also theres some cool possibilities if Noob and Sub-Zero team up. Since Subbie is dead I wouldn't be surprised if hes revived as a human again.

----

I was thinking the one thing I really want from the next game or DLC is a tag story mode which can be played in either 1 or 2 player mode or online with a friend. I'd still want the regular story mode at the same length in the next game but I think if there was a ko-op story mode it would be one of the things that would be a hit with friends of un-equal skill gathering together to play some MK.

Irish

infinityBCRT said:
I think the most intriguing thing they could do is make Liu Kang an evil bad ass who is pissed off at Raiden.

This is what the Arcade endings were heavily hinting at. Liu Kang becomes a god and the new protector of Earthrealm only to go mad with power. I actually like the combined stories of the endings more so than that of the actual story mode. There is so much awesome set-up there for the next game and all of it is extremely interesting and a fresh new direction for the series.

infinityBCRT said:
The ending is very Deadly Alliance-esque where most of the good guys died at the end of that game. However Onaga resurrected them to be part of his army. Looks like in the next game Quan Chi will do the same thing. I think the most intriguing thing they could do is make Liu Kang an evil bad ass who is pissed off at Raiden. Imagine him being the Champion of the NeatherRealm. Also theres some cool possibilities if Noob and Sub-Zero team up. Since Subbie is dead I wouldn't be surprised if hes revived as a human again.

----

I was thinking the one thing I really want from the next game or DLC is a tag story mode which can be played in either 1 or 2 player mode or online with a friend. I'd still want the regular story mode at the same length in the next game but I think if there was a ko-op story mode it would be one of the things that would be a hit with friends of un-equal skill gathering together to play some MK.

Well they alluded to that by Quan Chi saying he already has all their souls and then making Raiden fight zombie versions of them. Quan also brought back original Sub as Noob, right? He could potentially do the same with Lui Kang, only make him into a greater warrior or something

Grisby

Just rented it. I generally suck at fighting games and man this game is hard, :(. I'm talking about the story here and I think its just difficult when the 2 on 1 battles occur. Dropped it down to easy and managed to get a little farther. Still, those fights turn into battles of attrition with me always losing.

If I drop down the difficulty does that lower my purse winnings after each fight?

Grisby said:
Just rented it. I generally suck at fighting games and man this game is hard, :(. I'm talking about the story here and I think its just difficult when the 2 on 1 battles occur. Dropped it down to easy and managed to get a little farther. Still, those fights turn into battles of attrition with me always losing.

If I drop down the difficulty does that lower my purse winnings after each fight?
I don't think so.

Hey, any tips for the last battle in story mode? I'm getting my ass handed to me. Thanks!

Edit: never mind, got it.

Grisby said:

first 25% of story was 250
next 25% of story was 500
next 25% was 750
last 25% was 1000

(per fight)
Bonus after completion of each chapter end fight.

The best two hit combo you can learn for story mode? Jump in with BP, uppercut with down and BP. Occasionally throw. Use x-ray when ready.

--

For the last battle:
Use Raiden's down-up teleport as soon as Shao Kahn starts to do anything. Try an uppercut or small combo. Jump backward to cross screen range, repeat. X-ray when you get it.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Finished Story mode yesterday. Last boss was frustrating but after a couple of hours I figured out a pattern to beat him on normal. I didn't want to go the easy route. Very, very satisfied with the Story portion of the game. The way everything unfolds and how the levels progress are really awesome. Not a bad story for a video-game either.

Love spending my Kurrency unlocking everything in the Krypt. Still so much to unlock though. Played through Arcade with Kratos and was happy with the ending. Going to tackle the Challenges next in-between beating the Arcade mode with different characters. Haven't been this addicted to a game in a while. I did really enjoy Crysis 2 and Killzone 3 as well though, but it was so nice to play a fighting game this polished with this much single player content.

Personally I think it's a travesty that Street Fighter IV has a metacritic score of 94% while this Mortal Kombat game has a metacritic score of 85%. Yeah, Mortal Kombat probably went back to the 2D plane because of SFIV, but outside of that Mortal Kombat offers so much more in the genre. SFIV is basically no fun if you don't have friends to play with. Mortal Kombat has a great, deep combat system as well as so much SP content as well as a couple of characters to unlock. I used to compete in Street Fighter 2 when I was a teenager so I feel I have some merit when I say that the depth of this new Mortal Kombat is on par with SFIV.

If I was a reviewer, SFIV would have gotten a 90% when it was released, and MK a 93%. If Capcom fighting games don't add SP content, I am very unlikely to buy their games as I don't compete a lot anymore. Having said that, I do look forward to playing some King of the Hill when PSN comes back up because I like the idea of watching people fight and cheer and then meet the winner. Add me if you want, PSN: thunderbear. Just send me a message with "Mortal Kombat" so I know it's for that reason.

I'm officially a Mortal Kombat fan again (haven't been since UMK3).

Thunderbear

3D impressions:

I recently got the VIP Theatre addon for my 3D Ready projector and played through the whole story mode in 3D. All the cut scenes were not in 3D which was a little bit disappointing but the fights themselves looked amazing. I always feel the urge to turn it on when I start up the game. What they did right is not try to have things come out at you, but rather be a window with a lot of depth. It looks beautiful and the X-ray movies + fatalities really stand out. For some reason the image quality feels enhanced when in 3D. When it goes from the 2D cinematics into the 3D cinematics I immediately feel a feeling of "aw yeah, this looks much better".

The stages are really well suited for 3D as well. Fantastic. So yeah, fairly annoying that the cinematics weren't in 3D but very happy with the results when fighting. I'm a believer in 3D, and very happy that Vudu rents out movies in 3D (which thankfully still works without PSN working). Watched the Uncharted 3 trailer in 3D and the action bits towards the end looked amazing in 3D. I'm actually going to go back and play through Killzone 3 in 3D (on hard so I can get some more trophies).

Overall: B+ for the 3D experience. A for when it's there, notch down for the lack of it in cut-scenes.

scoobs said:
Beat the ladder on expert... shao kahn can suck my nuts.

Well done!

Irish

Thunderbear said:
3D impressions:

When it goes from the 2D cinematics into the 3D cinematics I immediately feel a feeling of "aw yeah, this looks much better".

Well, that may just be the framerate jump. The cutscenes themselves didn't look all that great, especially when you saw it jump to 60 FPS just before the match began.

Grisby said:

Does dropping down difficulty even apply to story mode? Some people have said it only applies if you do it before you start story mode. I think you can also drop the amount of rounds down to 1 but I haven't confirmed that.

Also have you done the tutorial?

Thunderbear

Irish said:
Well, that may just be the framerate jump. The cutscenes themselves didn't look all that great, especially when you saw it jump to 60 FPS just before the match began.

Good point... they should have been able to record the cut-scenes and play them back in 60fps with much less compression as well though. I'd imagine that would be a storage problem on the Xbox360 but the Bluray would be able to handle it. Not sure how it would impact the background loading as 60fps video playback is a bit more taxing on the CPU.

Thunderbear said:
Good point... they should have been able to record the cut-scenes and play them back in 60fps with much less compression as well though. I'd imagine that would be a storage problem on the Xbox360 but the Bluray would be able to handle it. Not sure how it would impact the background loading as 60fps video playback is a bit more taxing on the CPU.

Honestly I think its for cinematic reasons. In this game I'm not sure if 100% of the cutscenes are pre-rendered, some may still be real-time but just lowered to 24 FPS on purpose. I'm pretty sure on MK vs DC most if not all of the cutscenes were real-time yet still 24FPS.

I didn't really have that many problems with compression appearing on the Xbox 360 version and I played most of the game on a 26" PC Monitor sitting a couple of feet away from it. I only saw it if I was looking for it. And if I was playing it on my 47" TV I doubt I would've seen any compression.

I played a bit with my brother today. Of all the characters I tried, Smoke seems the easiest for someone like me who is bad at fighting games.

Is there a shoryuken.com of mortal kombat yet? Or somewhere for higher level of play tips?

fernoca

Kimosabae said:
Is there some kind of notification when it's finished? Does anything noticeably improve?
Nope. It seems to install data based on what you do. So if all you do is play Ladder Mode, it won't install anything else. The data grows in size as you play in the game. Overall, it seems to be just to make the experience smoother; rather than drastically cut loading times. Probably why some reported a few hiccups when playing online (as the data was installing in the background, while the game was playing, add lag to that too), then didn't noticed any on later matches.

Man, LI Joe showed the new MK players how the OGs play MK. But Chris G and DJ Haunts were very solid with Kung Lao and Reptile (they both showed some great combos that do 30+ % damage).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom