• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

Tokubetsu said:
Is the game's score available anywhere? I really want the track that plays on "Shang Tsun's Gardens"
Well, there's the in-game soundtrack (i.e. Go to Nekropolis, choose/play each music; but you need to unlock most through the Krypt).
That aside, some of the tracks were leaked by a mistake on the official site some months ago, and were uploaded to YouTube; probably many other sites too.

Shang Tsung's Garden

haunts said:
got third at the next level MK tourney. still a lot to learn in this game as far as punishes go and stuff.

It was awesome seeing you in my home town. You represented with your Kung Lao. There's no shame in losing to Chris G and LI Joe.

I'm going to x-copy your combo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't played a MK seriously since UMK3. I generally hate fighting games and give up after about a day or two of playing...

And yet I can't stop playing this

Frankfurt

Banned
I assume the reason so many games go with FMVs instead of in-engine cutscenes is so they can load while the cutscene plays. Frankly, I would rather wait for the loading screen. As long as it isn't a buncha of tiny, frequent load screens like WWE All-Stars, I'm fine with loading. The resolution on FMVs always takes a nosedive compared to the gameplay.

I really miss Friendships.

They would have fit well. I can do without the animalities, that's fine... though one ending mentions them...
Nightwolf
... but I feel kind of wrong having babalities and not friendships.

--

Congrats on 3rd, Haunts.

--

I was surprised that boss Shang Tsung has jacked up health and can morph into anyone. When people use him, he can only morph into the opponent via the soul steal move, right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
corrosivefrost said:
I was surprised that boss Shang Tsung has jacked up health and can morph into anyone. When people use him, he can only morph into the opponent via the soul steal move, right?
Yeah and it seems to be much shorter duration

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
corrosivefrost said:

Yup, can only morph into the player. The boss Shang Tsung picks 2 characters to turn into which is loaded into the match, which is why it's able to do that.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Frankfurt said:
I assume the reason so many games go with FMVs instead of in-engine cutscenes is so they can load while the cutscene plays. Frankly, I would rather wait for the loading screen. As long as it isn't a buncha of tiny, frequent load screens like WWE All-Stars, I'm fine with loading. The resolution on FMVs always takes a nosedive compared to the gameplay.

That's were storage space comes in handy. Uncharted 2 and Ratchet and Clank you can barely tell the difference to name a couple. More space = less compression and higher resolution.

Kimosabae

Banned
So I'm browsing the community forums for this game... seems like the MK community is getting their proverbial competitive cherry-popped. Outside Sirlin's "Playing to Win" articles posted by Krayzie Bone on Test Your Might, I see few vestiges of a cohesive and focused competitive community. The community also seemed quite insulated. They seem to be going through that expansion phase SRK saw when SF4 dropped, or Smashboards when Brawl hit. The irony is; it's competitive minded players kicking in the gates in a more casual crowd.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong; I've only been browsing the forums for 15 minutes or so.

Can't find much useful information yet, but that's what's exciting: the game is seemingly new to everyone.

Papercuts said:
Yup, can only morph into the player. The boss Shang Tsung picks 2 characters to turn into which is loaded into the match, which is why it's able to do that.

That makes sense. Tag ladder probably gives him 4 total, since he can choose 2 to load and your two tag choices as well.

Funny glitch: Shang Tsung doesn't know how to handle the intros when going against Shang Tsung (alternate).

TreIII

Kimosabae said:
So I'm browsing the community forums for this game... seems like the MK community is getting their proverbial competitive cherry-popped. Outside Sirlin's "Playing to Win" articles posted by Krayzie Bone on Test Your Might, I see few vestiges of a cohesive and focused competitive community. The community also seemed quite insulated. They seem to be going through that expansion phase SRK saw when SF4 dropped, or Smashboards when Brawl hit. The irony is; it's competitive minded players kicking in the gates in a more casual crowd.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong; I've only been browsing the forums for 15 minutes or so.

Can't find much useful information yet, but that's what's exciting: the game is seemingly new to everyone.

Well the truth is, you basically have a number of MK2, UMK3 and MKvDC tournament veterans that are all rallying to the cause of this new game, but it was kind of small beforehand. But it helps that, historically, the likes of TYM and ClassicMK were always competitive-focused sites. Their forums are full of information pertaining to those aforementioned games, and easily the best resources available for materials pertaining to this new one. Check out the guides by Tom Brady, for example.

For the most part, you go to sites like Kamidogu, TMKR and etc. if you want the more "casual" side of the series. That much likely won't change even as MK9 brings in more types of players across the board.

corrosivefrost said:
That makes sense. Tag ladder probably gives him 4 total, since he can choose 2 to load and your two tag choices as well.

Funny glitch: Shang Tsung doesn't know how to handle the intros when going against Shang Tsung (alternate).

In tag he only loads one other character. They only load 4 characters total at any given point in the game.

corrosivefrost said:

I had a pretty cool glitch I think. I was Noob and defeated Shang Tsung while he was morphed as me. Saibot comes out for the fatality and instead of being dark and purple, he was the Noob texture. So Noob 1 and Noob 2 are each holding half of a Noob,hahaha

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
haunts said:
got third at the next level MK tourney. still a lot to learn in this game as far as punishes go and stuff.
I saw you doing the damn thing

Also sonya blade is sick. Really loving her combos and dive kick.

Frankfurt

Banned
Thunderbear said:
That's were storage space comes in handy. Uncharted 2 and Ratchet and Clank you can barely tell the difference to name a couple. More space = less compression and higher resolution.

You would think so, but MK's cutscenes don't look any better on PS3.

Who know why they didn't use the chance.

wowzors

got any interesting glitch today, friend was Liu Kang and performed his Xray move, the second right as it hit, I used teleport with Scorpion. Both of us vanished off of the screen and time expired, found out that scorpions flame attack still hits the opponent if they arent blocking :)

Frankfurt said:

It's still impressive as hell how smoothly everything transitions. Fucking fast too in story mode. Regular arcade ladder load times are longer (which is annoying) from one fight to the next.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seraphis Cain said:
I think this is the first fighter where I've actually enjoyed just going into Training Mode and trying to come up with combos.
Combo system is very nice.

fernoca

A little update regarding the 'Songs Inspired by'..soundtrack.

Earlier this month, when the soundtrack was released; there was a "debacle of sorts", because Best Buy listed 'Kitana's Theme by Laidback Luke' in their track-listing, but other stores didn't; so it was assumed that it was exclusive to Best Buy.

Since I wasn't going to buy another CD all over again, just to listen to that one song; I decided to check around to see if there was any update or a sample. No luck, so I ended asking the man himself Laidback Luke, trough his Twitter if he had any sample or something to listen; thinking that he wasn't going to reply (since Ed Boon doesn't reply to me... :( ... :p )

Laidback Luke said:
Oh it didn't go through. We're doing something else with the track instead. More news coming week I hope!

Well, crisis adverted; the song never made it to any of the CDs; so the Best Buy listing is inaccurate. There are no 2 versions of the disc. :)

Thanks to Laidback for actually replying, since he seems to reply to each tweet he gets, which is kinda crazy. XD

SuperBonk

Seraphis Cain said:
I think this is the first fighter where I've actually enjoyed just going into Training Mode and trying to come up with combos.
I agree that it's fun, but it's so different from playing online. The input lag is so crazy that I can't even get remotely close to replicating some of the combos I come up with in training. Best I could pull off was a 33% corner combo with Raiden.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Seraphis Cain said:

Yea I've spent a good 4 or 5 hours in the training room practicing combos. There something very satisfying about just juggling folks around even when they aren't fighting back. First fighter for me where I don't get bored silly after 10 minutes or so doing it. I think part of it is that all the info you need is right there in the game, all the basic combos are provided to you so it's like solving a puzzle putting them together. Not having to go online and dig through guides and forum posts and youtube videos to try and copy others work makes it feel more satisfying I suppose.

Been messing around a little bit with Kratos. He definitely feels like the worst character in the game. It's like they purposely gimped him by making all his moves incredibly slow to come out. His dash attack could be so useful to end combos if it didnt take half a million frames to come out.

Tokubetsu

Decided to make a gif:
jWfFT.gif

Here's a slightly smaller one:
5J0uQ.gif

Hopefully someone didn't beat me to it?

Glass Joe

Ninja Scooter said:
It's still impressive as hell how smoothly everything transitions. Fucking fast too in story mode. Regular arcade ladder load times are longer (which is annoying) from one fight to the next.

Agreed, but I don't even think arcade ladder is that bad. For the most part, the loading bars aren't even necessary.

notworksafe

Kimosabae said:
right, but from what i understand, not all the costumes can be unlocked via krypt. am i wrong?
Only one is not unlockable through the Krypt or DLC.
Mileena's flesh pit outfit, which is unlocked by completing the Challenge Tower.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I played a bit of this at the San Rafael Starbase Arcade. I got my ass handed to me because I haven't played an MK game since... the SNES? Visually, its pretty cool, but the guy I was playing with didn't know how to pull off fatalities :(

sleepykyo

haunts said:

How are you supposed to follow up that hat spin? Looks crazy difficult to time the dive kick into dash jab into ex hat toss.

Thunderbear

Absoludacrous said:
Been messing around a little bit with Kratos. He definitely feels like the worst character in the game. It's like they purposely gimped him by making all his moves incredibly slow to come out. His dash attack could be so useful to end combos if it didnt take half a million frames to come out.

I actually find him very powerful. Time will tell when PSN comes back up. I had a very easy time with him through the ladder.

Nicktals

Banned
Got my Tournament Edition shipped from Frys.com. I had thought about saving it as a collector's item, but...This shit is soooo beat up. I mean it's torn all over the front, looks like the tape has been half ripped off on a few sides. I have two options now: Just open and play it with the stick, which i honestly don't need, since I only plan on playing casually once in a while. Or I call frys back and bitch until i can either return it for a refund/new copy, or get some sort of compensation.

What does GAF think I should do?

Thunderbear

notworksafe said:
Only one is not unlockable through the Krypt or DLC.
Mileena's flesh pit outfit, which is unlocked by completing the Challenge Tower.

I was wondering about that costume... Challenge tower is supposedly pretty difficult at levels 200+ and the last one is supposed to be insanely tricky. That's what the devs said.

Frankfurt said:

I think it might be a cross-platform parity thing; that they wanted to keep it the same. That's really my only gripe, especially since it lacks stereoscopic 3D. Now that I have a 3D set-up I want everything to be in 3D! :p

Thunderbear said:
I actually find him very powerful. Time will tell when PSN comes back up. I had a very easy time with him through the ladder.

Really? I find him the opposite outside of basically one combo string. Most everything else seems to scale really badly on him.

Seems like you have to abuse his launcher, and the best way to do that is to start combos with towards+bk, since it's relatively fast compared to everything else.

His X-Ray seems almost useless cause it scales so badly.

Thunderbear

Absoludacrous said:
Really? I find him the opposite outside of basically one combo string. Most everything else seems to scale really badly on him.

Seems like you have to abuse his launcher, and the best way to do that is to start combos with towards+bk, since it's relatively fast compared to everything else.

His X-Ray seems almost useless cause it scales so badly.

I thought these were some good tips on how to play as him that has brought me good fortune. But I won't know for sure until I play against human opponents. I do well against AI with him on all difficulties.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...&utm_campaign=Feed:+PSBlog+(PlayStation.Blog)

I use the down, towards, x (the one that brings up the quicktime event) -- and when I have a section I tend to enhance it as it takes quite a bit more damage. The bow and arrow is great for speed and keeping people at distance. The slide is great to get out of trouble. The stun is great to set-up your combos, especially if you enhance it. I don't use his X-ray a lot, I rather enhance my supers.

Nicktals said:
Got my Tournament Edition shipped from Frys.com. I had thought about saving it as a collector's item, but...This shit is soooo beat up. I mean it's torn all over the front, looks like the tape has been half ripped off on a few sides. I have two options now: Just open and play it with the stick, which i honestly don't need, since I only plan on playing casually once in a while. Or I call frys back and bitch until i can either return it for a refund/new copy, or get some sort of compensation.

What does GAF think I should do?
Give me the stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom