• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunderbear said:
I thought these were some good tips on how to play as him that has brought me good fortune. But I won't know for sure until I play against human opponents. I do well against AI with him on all difficulties.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...&utm_campaign=Feed:+PSBlog+(PlayStation.Blog)

I use the down, towards, x (the one that brings up the quicktime event) -- and when I have a section I tend to enhance it as it takes quite a bit more damage. The bow and arrow is great for speed and keeping people at distance. The slide is great to get out of trouble. The stun is great to set-up your combos, especially if you enhance it. I don't use his X-ray a lot, I rather enhance my supers.

Yea, the first two on the blog were basically what I was saying. I can hit 45% using a combination of the quick kick, launcher, juggle, helios head, kick, olympic ascension. Ascension on it's own seems useless cause of it's speed and tiny range. Same with hades pain and edge. You're going to get stuffed trying to get those out in a match.

Zeus' Rage seems ok, cause it's decently fast, but like a lot of Kratos' moves the damage is low.

I'm thinking right now his best use might be as a counter pick for people that want to stay at range with Noob or Katana, using a combo of the bow and the fleece.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Ellis Kim said:
I played a bit of this at the San Rafael Starbase Arcade. I got my ass handed to me because I haven't played an MK game since... the SNES? Visually, its pretty cool, but the guy I was playing with didn't know how to pull off fatalities :(

good shit

Nicktals

Banned
Think this is the first time I've done this, but I'd like some more thoughts, if possible!

Got my Tournament Edition shipped from Frys.com. I had thought about saving it as a collector's item, but...This shit is soooo beat up. I mean it's torn all over the front, looks like the tape has been half ripped off on a few sides. I have two options now: Just open and play it with the stick, which i honestly don't need, since I only plan on playing casually once in a while. Or I call frys back and bitch until i can either return it for a refund/new copy, or get some sort of compensation.

What does GAF think I should do?

scoot3r

Id pop it open carefully and inspect the product, at the very least keep the ermac promo code to give someone or use or whatever. If its damaged id send it back if not keep it. I also got the tourney edition. :p

It's the first time that I'm aching to get a fighting stick. I'm constantly playing this game, and seriously I fucking hate that it registers my input wrong sometimes.
It could be the game's fault though. I just think that I'm not pressing the buttons enough sometimes. Those sticks have REAL buttons.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
infinityBCRT said:
They probably wouldn't do that since the Lin Kuei ninjas at this point are Cyborgs.
For all we know there could just be a brain in there. They go back and forth on those guys all the time

Lerozz

zoner said:
For all we know there could just be a brain in there. They go back and forth on those guys all the time

Lies ! :D You can see their human parts during the X-Ray moves ! Defo more than a brain there. :p

orion434

Shao Khan is such a cheezy son-a-bitch, trying to get the "Ladder Master" Achievement and I can consistently get to Shao Kahn and then he just juggles me to death... so aggravating!!!

Almost done with the Tower, just a few skipped missions and I'm done!

Chorazin

Nicktals said:
Think this is the first time I've done this, but I'd like some more thoughts, if possible!

Got my Tournament Edition shipped from Frys.com. I had thought about saving it as a collector's item, but...This shit is soooo beat up. I mean it's torn all over the front, looks like the tape has been half ripped off on a few sides. I have two options now: Just open and play it with the stick, which i honestly don't need, since I only plan on playing casually once in a while. Or I call frys back and bitch until i can either return it for a refund/new copy, or get some sort of compensation.

What does GAF think I should do?

I don't understand buying the TE and then not using it. Do you really have room for that big ass box to just take up space? Open the fucker, use the stick, throw the box away.

Chorazin said:
I don't understand buying the TE and then not using it. Do you really have room for that big ass box to just take up space? Open the fucker, use the stick, throw the box away.
Yup, you ain't gonna live forever so live hard!!

lol

Struct09

I played a number of player matches with some guy online last night, and he would always mash the Kombat Kode before the match. One match he accidentally entered the code to give himself 25% health :p

Dre3001

So not to brag but just defeated Shao Kahn in 5 tries the first time you face him in story mode.

He was incredibly easy, all you have to do is keep him at full screen and spam the hell out of low fireballs. Kahn never even got close to me really. At Full screen he just taunts you so just keep hitting him with low fireballs.

Low fireballs allow you to not get hit by his spear so the only thing you have to do is jump over his hammer when he throws it. Dont allow Kahn to get close because then he will shoulder charge and beat the hell out of you. What I did specifically was spam low fireballs so much that I had an X ray move so when he actually did manage to get close it just hit him with it and then went back to being far away from him at full screen.

Hope this helps those still struggling

Dre3001 said:
So not to brag but just defeated Shao Kahn in 5 tries the first time you face him in story mode.

Shao Kahn is very easy the first time you face him in story mode. I beat him with Liu either in my first or second shot at it. But hes fucking hard the second time you face him.

ShinAmano

So my wife and I were talking about MK this weekend and we thought it was funny that they strayed away from nudity in this game. The girls outfits get tattered and torn but never reveal anything which is funny do to the adult nature of the game.

Aside from that I have a complaint about the fatalities. I think overall they did a good job, but the lack of details bothers me (especially for a game that seemed to get the details aspect so well). What I am talking about is during the X-Ray moves you see fully rendered organs/skeletons why are these ignored in the finishing moves? Instead of a large intestine hanging down from a severed torso I get sausage links...Instead of chunks of brains I just get random chunks. Finally a specific one...Sindel
her scream in the ear one where the opposite side of the head explodes...great in concept...poor in execution...why do I have a perfectly severed line straight down my head? Why not have it jagged and uneven?

Anyhow just two random thoughts after getting a weekend with the game.

ShinAmano said:
So my wife and I were talking about MK this weekend and we thought it was funny that they strayed away from nudity in this game. The girls outfits get tattered and torn but never reveal anything which is funny do to the adult nature of the game.

Just how it is. Game where youre tearing and cutting people limb from limb and other awful (awesome) things = okay. Showing a boobie = Game being discussed by idiots on CNN, FOX News, Local News, NY Times, etc., on how awful the game is and how it shouldnt be sold in stores.

GuessWho

on average, how long do you think it takes to get used to playing with a arcade stick? I'm struggling just jumping...the controller is sooo much easier.
I won't give up though, reward is too high.

ShinAmano

TheApatheticOne said:
Just how it is. Game where youre tearing and cutting people limb from limb and other awful (awesome) things = okay. Showing a boobie = Game being discussed by idiots on CNN, FOX News, Local News, NY Times, etc., on how awful the game is and how it shouldnt be sold in stores.
Yeah, but that is why it is odd. This game is clearly not made for children so why not go the distance? If the clothes get ripped anyhow what is the big deal...also found it funny that the crotch X-Ray moves were all on barbie and ken dolls.

ShinAmano said:
Yeah, but that is why it is odd. This game is clearly not made for children so why not go the distance? If the clothes get ripped anyhow what is the big deal...also found it funny that the crotch X-Ray moves were all on barbie and ken dolls.

It'd make it an AO game which would reduce sales from multi millions to hundreds of thousands of copies...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
GuessWho said:
on average, how long do you think it takes to get used to playing with a arcade stick? I'm struggling just jumping...the controller is sooo much easier.
I won't give up though, reward is too high.
I use a stick on every fighting game i own but MK feels better on pad to me.

W Hudson

Has anyone tried to play 2 player tag mode online? I went over to a friend's home yesterday to try. The game asks the second player to sign in with their Xbox Live profile, which I did. At that point, the game then froze on the loading screen. We tried this 5 times, each time with the same result.

Other than the online issues I couldn't be more thrilled with the game so far.

ShinAmano

infinityBCRT said:
It'd make it an AO game which would reduce sales from multi millions to hundreds of thousands of copies...
You can show nudity in M rated games. I can think of plenty that are ultra graphic and also include nudity...Kratos is even in the game and a perfect example of gore/nudity in a M rated game.

ShinAmano said:
You can show nudity in M rated games. I can think of plenty that are ultra graphic and also include nudity...Kratos is even in the game and a perfect example of gore/nudity in a M rated game.
But that nudity is in selected scenes as opposed to every time a female fighter is chosen. I'm not saying that it would automatically make it an AO game, but there is a definite difference.

zoner said:
I'd be willing to pay for some decent costume dlc. I'd love a more robotic Sektor
I'd be willing to pay for costumes that de-whorify the women. Oh, and costumes that have little to no black in them. Hell, costumes that change up the color palettes for most characters would be good.

Master Thespian said:
But that nudity is in selected scenes as opposed to every time a female fighter is chosen. I'm not saying that it would automatically make it an AO game, but there is a definite difference.

It definitely would've, otherwise theres one alt costume which I know would be completely different. Also theres a cumulative effect. Violence is one thing. Sexuality is one thing. But put those together and its something else.

dankir

Darkhadou said:
So what are everyone's thoughts on the official Prima Guide for the game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ40YT4c5Ik

Looks so archaic for a fighting game guide of the 21st century and why have virtually all the useful details from the guide been put up on Prima's site for free (as of yesterday I believe) ?

http://www.primagames.com/mk/all_cards.pdf

Didn't like it very much, no frame data, rudimentary combos ( forgot combo damage numbers even!) and special move details. Hell they didn't even include anything about Babalities.

I think they spent more time naming the combo's lol.

It's a pretty book, but after exploring the MvC3 Brady games guide, this one is pretty lacking.

GuessWho

Struct09

Darkhadou said:

It's pretty, but overall quite a disappointment. Any useful info in the guide could easily be found online, and there's little things missing such as the distance needed to do fatalities, or even simply how to do
babalities
. I actually regret purchasing one :(

djkimothy

Dre3001 said:

He was incredibly easy, all you have to do is keep him at full screen and spam the hell out of low fireballs. Kahn never even got close to me really. At Full screen he just taunts you so just keep hitting him with low fireballs.

Low fireballs allow you to not get hit by his spear so the only thing you have to do is jump over his hammer when he throws it. Dont allow Kahn to get close because then he will shoulder charge and beat the hell out of you. What I did specifically was spam low fireballs so much that I had an X ray move so when he actually did manage to get close it just hit him with it and then went back to being far away from him at full screen.

Hope this helps those still struggling

What difficulty are you at? i never got the taunts at med difficulty.

That strat won't work with
raiden though.

Darkhadou

Neo Member
Shame really, I'd have thought NetherRealms would work pretty closely with Prima on bringing out a quality guide ESPECIALLY after putting in a great deal of work in revitalising MK and coming hot off the heels of the MvC3 BradyGames Guide =/

Darkhadou said:

Looks so archaic for a fighting game guide of the 21st century and why have virtually all the useful details from the guide been put up on Prima's site for free (as of yesterday I believe) ?

It's very pretty and I am finding the Challenge Tower section useful. However, it lacks basically anything about Story mode and doesn't even have the klassic fatalities or
babalities
. I'm still glad I got it though, it was just $20.

orion434

Darkhadou said:

This guide sucks... there are plenty of errors all throughout, most notably Sektor's & Scorpion's moves are mixed up on the cards. There are no mentions of Babalities anywhere and no Achievement / Trophy Guide... it just lists them.

They use an excuse of not adding Damage percents to not make the guide "obsolete" when updates are issued, but it's more like they are lazy or the guide was rushed.

zlatko

Banned
djkimothy said:
What difficulty are you at? i never got the taunts at med difficulty.

That strat won't work with
raiden though.

I got it to work even on harder difficulties. You just have to run longer. I don't see how you can beat him without using that strategy since his health is massive, he does tons of damage, and almost every move he does is invincible on start up.

Frankfurt

Banned
infinityBCRT said:

Not really. Dante's Inferno has naked moaning wife, giant killer vaginas with labia that spread out of demonic monsters, baby-killing, giant dicks, ultra-violence of evey kind and it's still M rated. The nudity is constant and at the same time as the ultra-violence. Hell you can kill the naked enemies.

Kweh

I am a little disappointed with how many stage fatalities there are, I thought they would try and do as many as possible.

My biggest disappointment with this awesome game is that most of the alternate costumes are just subtle differences with the mains and in some cases you can't even tell the difference. I wanted some wildly different designs, as they have done in the past MK games.

I'm also disappointed by how much lag there was online. Of course, this could eventually be straightened out...if PSN EVER comes back online :(

Chairhome

GuessWho said:
btw is it confirmed that all stages have stage fatalities?
To expand on what Fernoca said, if you do stage select on versus mode, the stages that have fatalities have a red skull icon at the bottom of the thumbnail.

Question:
I've read some conflicting reports, how do you fight the hidden kombatants, and can it only be done in ladder? This is what I've seen, tell me if any are wrong:
*PS3 version is select, 360 is back*
Smoke: Down and Select when you see smoke peek out behind the trees
Jade: double flawless and fatality on Shang Tsung
Reptile: when you see a shadow across the moon at the Pit at night, double flawless then Pit fatality
Noob: don't block on the Temple stage. Double Flawless?

fernoca

Kweh said:
I am a little disappointed with how many stage fatalities there are, I thought they would try and do as many as possible.
Is good, though many expected more. 6 stages + 1 if you count Kratos' (+2 for the other two ways to finish him/her in that stage)
The few there are are more varied too, so at least they kept them fresh. When they could've gone for the "well, let's throw them at the spikes...again.."-route.

Chairhome said:
Question:
I've read some conflicting reports, how do you fight the hidden kombatants, and can it only be done in ladder? This is what I've seen, tell me if any are wrong:
*PS3 version is select, 360 is back*
Smoke: Down and Select when you see smoke peek out behind the trees
Jade: double flawless and fatality on Shang Tsung
Reptile: when you see a shadow across the moon at the Pit at night, double flawless then Pit fatality
Noob: don't block on the Temple stage. Double Flawless?
Yeah, same ones I've seen..though haven't tried them, yet. But yep..only in Ladder.

EDIT:
For
Jade, you also have to obtain around a few Flawless Victories, before the 2 of Shang Tsung; but haven't found the actual number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom