• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope that any characters that come from DLC have endings in Arcade Ladder! Especially Rain!

Has anyone obtained the achievement for discovering
Jade?
So many people online seem to contradict each other on how to get this...

You know, if everybody in this thread who wanted that badass Reptile costume in the game (me included) just added Boon on Twitter and inundated him with requests for it, we'd probably get it.

Unicorn

Squall ASF said:
I just hope that any characters that come from DLC have endings in Arcade Ladder! Especially Rain!

Jade?
Boon confirmed on Twitter that DLC chars would have Ladder endings.
The Antitype said:
You know, if everybody in this thread who wanted that badass Reptile costume in the game (me included) just added Boon on Twitter and inundated him with requests for it, we'd probably get it.
Oh wow. You're back.

Could help but lurk, I presume.

Beardz

KevinCow said:
I dunno, I'm just not really feeling this game. It looks great, I've certainly had a lot of fun messing around in training mode and appreciating all the work that went into the animations. I like messing around and figuring out some neat 30-40% combos that I'd never actually be able to do in a match.

But when it comes to actually playing... I dunno. Most notably, I can't believe the reliance on dial-a-combos. Because memorizing a list of special moves for 25+ characters isn't enough already, now you have to memorize a list of dial-a-combos for each character. It just makes it arbitrarily harder to switch between characters. And beyond that, even if every character had the same dial-a-combos, I just don't like the mechanic of tapping in the buttons real quick then watching the combo happen, as opposed to pressing the buttons as they hit.

I also feel like there are way too many teleport attacks and other "attack enemy wherever he is on the screen INSTANTLY" attacks, and they're often way too fast to react to. But then, I have shitty reflexes, so that may just be me.

Still, the game's a lot of fun to watch. I look forward to seeing some high level play.

Dial combos are the tip of the iceberg, they aren't that important, they can help you start the combo, but the real meat is when you start experimenting after the first 2 or three hits.

You don't have to learn all characters you know? As for the teleports, I think they are great, with them is risk/reward... learn to block all time and know what to expect from characters like Noob, Kung Lao, Mileena, etc.. Don't be predictable, don't spam "fireballs" against teleport characters.

...or maybe MK is not for you. :p

The Antitype said:

Great idea. He wouldn't just ignore even more tweets.

ShinAmano

zlatko said:
It should. I believe that achievement is only affiliated with beating the 300th challenge or you can just pay to pass it as well, but apparently the cost for coins on that one is steep as shit.
I paid to skip the majority of them including the last one...I got the costume and the achievement for the costume.

cuevas said:
Great idea. He wouldn't just ignore even more tweets.

*shrugs*

If he gets a bunch of tweets requesting the exact same thing, it would probably make it in the game as DLC. Especially something as easy as a costume.

orion434

Squall ASF said:

Jade?

I used the trueachivements guide for that, basically play Ladder with 2 rounds and do not lose a round and preform a Fatality on the first 7 opponents. Then on Shang Tsung preform a double Flawless Victory on him ( I did a Fatality for good measure )

This can be done on Beginner and if you mess-up on Shang Tsung by not getting a Flawless or even losing a round to him ( I lost 2 ) get to the "Finish Him" part and instead press start and select "Select Character" and it will not record the match as a Loss and you won't have to play through all 7 matches again.

The Antitype said:
*shrugs*

If he gets a bunch of tweets requesting the exact same thing, it would probably make it in the game as DLC. Especially something as easy as a costume.

Yeah. I've already tweeted him about it. Midway released a roster picture for Armageddon and then a few weeks later updated a bunch of things due to fan response (including changing Reptile from a lizard into the Shaolin Monks Reptilian-Ninja look & adding Motaro) so its not unheard of.

The Antitype said:
*shrugs*

They probably don't have plans of what they are going to be making for DLC and haven't looked into what their fans want.

Sblargh

Banned
50.000 koins the last challenge. You get the reward (and trophy) for that challenge, but does not get the trophy for completing all challenges, for that one you have to actually do them.

KevinCow

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Do you have the same issues with SF games? Because while they don't really have dial-a-combos, most characters have their own combos because they have different normals and links.

It's quite different. In SF, the combos aren't built in. All of the individual attacks can be done at any time, and it's left up to the player to figure out how to cancel or link them into each other to do combos. You know attack 1 has quick recovery and leaves your opponent stunned for a bit, so you can choose if you want to follow it up with attacks 2, 3, or 4. In MK, the only think you can follow up attack 1 with is attack 2, and the only way to get to attack 3 is by doing attacks 1 and 2 first.

Furthermore, SF combos tend to have the pattern of going from low to medium to high. You get in with the quicker, weaker hit, get a little bit of stun, throw in a slightly slower and slightly more powerful mid hit, get more stun, then get in the heavy hit. Unless you're playing a particularly heavy or unique character, this will usually work. When you look at the buttons, a combo tends to move from left to right. I think MvC3 had a great idea in removing the punch/kick thing altogether, and making L-M-H-S a reliable combo for nearly every character. But it's not a canned combo, so you can play around with it and figure out if you can even stick more moves in there.

Whereas in MK, there is no pattern. There is no light/heavy. Any three or four buttons could be a combo. 16 2-hit combo possibilities. 64 3-hit combo possibilities. 256 4-hit combo possibilities. And that's before taking directions into consideration. Let's just take directions; forward, back, down, and neutral. Times four buttons is 16. 256 2-hit combo possibilities, 4096 3-hit combo possibilities, 65536 4-hit combo possibilities. All of those are equally possible, but only maybe ten will actually be correct answers. And it'll be a different set of maybe ten for every character.

It just seems like a far more convoluted way of doing things than necessary.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
KevinCow said:
It's quite different. In SF, the combos aren't built in. All of the individual attacks can be done at any time, and it's left up to the player to figure out how to cancel or link them into each other to do combos.

Dude, replace "how do I link these moves together?" with "how do I use normals to extend the juggle?" and it's practically the same thing in concept, except a lot more freestyle so I don't know why you're complaining about combos being "built-in" in MK.

Unicorn said:
Boon confirmed on Twitter that DLC chars would have Ladder endings.

Awesome!

rayner said:
Achievement strat

I think it's everything you said except for the fatality on the first 7 opponents. This meshes with a few other things I've read online. Just have to get to Shang without losing a round, and get a double flawless plus fatality on him. I've heard that backout when it says finish him too so I'm sure that's legit. That said, I'd go for a fatality on everyone anyway. I'll try this out after I finish ladder with the last 7 remaining characters. Thanks! I'll post if it works for me when I get to it. Man, really wish I thought of changing to single rounds when I first started ladder, feel so stupid lol

KevinCow

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Dude, replace "how do I link these moves together?" with "how do I use normals to extend the juggle?" and it's practically the same thing in concept, except a lot more freestyle so I don't know why you're complaining about combos being "built-in" in MK.

And I like that part. MK does give you a lot of potential to build your own combos, and simply sitting around in training mode and doing this is a lot of fun. I'm not saying that all the combos in the game are canned.

I'm just saying that I don't like the dial-a-combos, the entire section of the moves list that gives you three or four button presses to do in quick succession to make your character do a canned combo. I don't understand why they're there. The useful moves buried in the dial-a-combos could've been made regular normals, and they could've left it up to the players to figure out how to combo them together.

Stealth Update Concerns (SRK)

Long story short, if you aren't connected to XBL, the "quick patches" for the game are no longer available once you are offline. This is a huge problem for tournies. More testing needs to be done but it looks like PS3 is the way to go if anyone is planning to throw tournies for this game.

Struct09

FallingEdge said:

Long story short, if you aren't connected to XBL, the "quick patches" for the game are no longer available once you are offline. This is a huge problem for tournies. More testing needs to be done but it looks like PS3 is the way to go if anyone is planning to throw tournies for this game.

I think it's cool that they've already done stealth updates, fixing some unbalanced combos

zlatko

Banned
Neuromancer said:
WTF, the reptile code I put on eBay just got delisted, got an email saying you can't sell virtual items. >=(

Tell them you aren't selling a virtual item---you are selling a card carrying a code FOR a virtual item. It's two different things.

FallingEdge said:

EVO has always used PS3 anyways, so it's not that big a deal. Stinks if tourneys want to use 360s, though.

I really hope they make Kenshi into just a swords/weapon based character, rather than slapping more telekinesis powers onto him. It was really dumb to have two tele-fighters in MK Deception with Kenshi and Ermac.

Beardz said:
You don't have to learn all characters you know?

Just to be fair, you kinda do. So you know how to block them (some are high/low/etc), and how to punish/counter them correctly during a match.

I guess the right phrase would be you have to learn the properties of all the chains, as you do with all the special moves.

NewLib

Banned
Criminal Upper said:
I really hope they make Kenshi into just a swords/weapon based character, rather than slapping more telekinesis powers onto him. It was really dumb to have two tele-fighters in MK Deception with Kenshi and Ermac.

Kenshi Character Spoilers:
I believe that Kenshi doesnt have any telekinetic powers until Ermac awakens them in Deadly Alliance. So he shouldnt have any in this game.

Big One

Banned
HowardRoark said:
Any tips for beating the Shang Tsung + Quan Chi combo? If you can't tell, I suck at fighting games. I am terrible at all 2 vs. 1 battles.
Just use projectiles from afar. When Quan Chi does his teleport shit just uppercut that fucker.

HowardRoark said:
Any tips for beating the Shang Tsung + Quan Chi combo? If you can't tell, I suck at fighting games. I am terrible at all 2 vs. 1 battles.
I've got the Kollector's Edition of the Prima Official Strategy Guide! Let me look up this part and find a good strategy. Oh wait, there is nothing about story mode in the book!

Sorry...anyway just block a lot and use uppercuts on them.

GrayFoxPL

Criminal Upper said:

Yeah. Blade or no deal. He had awesome and simple samurai esque fatality and Harakiri in Deception!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jovvlf5RzMU

NewLib said:
Kenshi Character Spoilers:
I believe that Kenshi doesnt have any telekinetic powers until Ermac awakens them in Deadly Alliance. So he shouldnt have any in this game.

He shouldn't be blind either, right?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
The Lamonster said:
I've got the Kollector's Edition of the Prima Official Strategy Guide! Let me look up this part and find a good strategy. Oh wait, there is nothing about story mode in the book!

Sorry...anyway just block a lot and use uppercuts on them.

Lol!
That reminds me, I saw Boon tweet about some MK cookies. There was a pic of his scorpion cookie with that POS guide behind it
http://twitpic.com/4nq97m
The Cookie is a better value than the piece of crap guide lol

Struct09

HowardRoark said:

Keep in mind that in 2v1 fights the CPU doesn't block nearly as much as they would otherwise

lol why are you guys spoilering story from past games? They've been out for years.

On another note, I'd love for them to come out with a better costume for Smoke! His alternate solves the hair problem but it just seems boring compared to some of the others. Ermac's alternate is bad ass and probably my favorite in the game, wish Smoke could get a hood like that. Noob's default looks pretty sweet too. Smoke's mask is fine, if he could just get a hooded coat to overlap akin to Ermac (with it's own color and design, obviously) that would be sweet.

Criminal Upper said:
Agreed about 1000%.

The Lamonster said:
thisisneogaf.jpg
I wonder how that jpg would look? Probably a guy face palming, a guy pointing and laughing, Mr. Trollface, and Mr. ForeverAlone all sitting at their own monitor with a visual 'connection' going from their terminal to the center of the pic where you'd have a big NeoGAF logo. Wow, I put way too much thought into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom