• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Tesseract said:
gg to papertiger! your jade kicked my sub-zero's ass. but i got a few good hits in ;).

ggs

Like half the time I got frozen it was because I was trying to do shadow flash but I kept getting low shuriken instead D:

fernoca said:
Forgot to mention, and probably someone else did already; that the custom soundtrack feature of the PS3 demo; is not available in the final retail version. So, nope..you can't listen to Lady Gaga's Born this Way while playing; sorry guys.
I noticed this last night when my custom MK playlist didn't work.

What the fuck.

One thing I've noticed is that it might be a time to change up the fatalities. Hear me out, been playing this with some groups of friends since it came out, and it's a FANTASTIC fighting game for social/casual settings where you pass the controller around. The characters are just similar enough that you can pick different guys every time, get the hang of special moves and combos and have a good time. The problem comes when the announcer says "FINISH HIM", inevitably what happens is "pause--check menu--memorize fatality--do fatality". Granted not a big deal, but I wonder if there would be a way to change up the method of performing fatalities. Would you guys be opposed to everyone having standard fatality commands, kind of like the Xray techniques? Something like that? I don't know, just thinking out loud I guess.

notworksafe said:
Oh right. The hardcore tourney players that don't take their single console online ever. I forgot about them. :p

You're forgetting that if you run a tournament on 360, you have to have each station connected to the internet under this condition. And every venue isn't guaranteed to have wired internet access, or enough access to handle multiple consoles.

It screws the 360 players over because, yeah, I shouldn't have to be connected to the internet to play with the latest version of the game. But I forget I'm talking to people who care more about spectator mode than the sun.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ninja Scooter said:
One thing I've noticed is that it might be a time to change up the fatalities. Hear me out, been playing this with some groups of friends since it came out, and it's a FANTASTIC fighting game for social/casual settings where you pass the controller around. The characters are just similar enough that you can pick different guys every time, get the hang of special moves and combos and have a good time. The problem comes when the announcer says "FINISH HIM", inevitably what happens is "pause--check menu--memorize fatality--do fatality". Granted not a big deal, but I wonder if there would be a way to change up the method of performing fatalities. Would you guys be opposed to everyone having standard fatality commands, kind of like the Xray techniques? Something like that? I don't know, just thinking out loud I guess.

I don't really care what method they use to do them. I watch em once then don't care anymore.

DasRaven

Ninja Scooter said:
Would you guys be opposed to everyone having standard fatality commands, kind of like the Xray techniques? Something like that? I don't know, just thinking out loud I guess.

Yes, strongly opposed. In fact, I'd rather the moves menu be disabled during the finishing segment altogether. If you don't know your finishers, you can still uppercut/xray/throw/etc that should be enough.

Sinatar said:
I don't really care what method they use to do them. I watch em once then don't care anymore.

That is the other thing, they kind of lose their luster in general. I just wonder if the whole fatality concept can be overhauled and made fresh again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Speaking of messed up fatalities and X-Rays...

Raiden is WAY too into his for being a benevolent god. I mean he just casually blows lightning in your face like a Johnny Cage or something would

notworksafe

DryEyeRelief said:
You're forgetting that if you run a tournament on 360, you have to have each station connected to the internet under this condition. And every venue isn't guaranteed to have wired internet access, or enough access to handle multiple consoles.

It screws the 360 players over because, yeah, I shouldn't have to be connected to the internet to play with the latest version of the game. But I forget I'm talking to people who care more about spectator mode than the sun.
At least most tourneys are run on PS3s so this shouldn't be a problem. It's a better system for tourneys anyway from my experience. 360 is better for online play, though.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
notworksafe said:
At least most tourneys are run on PS3s so this shouldn't be a problem. It's a better system for tourneys anyway from my experience. 360 is better for online play, though.
Can you explain why that is? I only heard that at EVO once but having not done a tourney on either consoles I don't know why they said that.

fernoca

ohhthegore said:
please tell me this is something that will be fixed with a patch
Well, you can't fix something that wasn't promised. Seems to b a "glitch" of the demo, more than anything. The back of the box makes no mention of it neither.

I mean, it can be patched; but they don't have to.

Ninja Scooter said:

Yeah, it would be interesting if they were something you had to punch in while your opponent had under 10% health left, but they were still alive. That way, you would have to have the fatalities memorized and be able to pull them off while combat was still going.

notworksafe

bandresen said:
Can you explain why that is? I only heard that at EVO once but having not done a tourney on either consoles I don't know why they said that.
Switching controllers is easier on PS3 and there's no need for profile juggling. That may be a thing local to this area because we still have a few staunch pad only players...

EVO is PS3 only because Sony gave the people who run it a bunch of free PS3s, iirc.

fernoca said:
Well, you can't fix something that wasn't promised. Seems to b a "glitch" of the demo, more than anything. The back of the box makes no mention of it neither.

I mean, it can be patched; but they don't have to.

time to bother Boon on Twitter

gg all will play more tomorrow, hit 100 plays online just now too.

Need to learn how to counter half the shit jade does :p her glowing state is way too good lol

I chose sub to use ice clones but the moment you walked through it I knew I was in trouble again lol.

notworksafe said:

I guess we should unban Kratos while we're at it, right?

notworksafe

DryEyeRelief said:
I guess we should unban Kratos while we're at it, right?
Not sure how that relates at all, but I agree that Kratos shouldn't be allowed at tourneys. It's not fair to 360 players. I just ran a small tourney here that got taken by a Kratos player, which in hindsight was my fault for allowing him to be played in the first place.

However your imaginary person who loves MK enough to get hardcore and play in tourneys but doesn't have even Silver XBL online on their only console so they never get any updates isn't what I'd imagine to be a common enough case to really have any effect on tourneys. This of course assumes that the tourney is a PS3 one, which many are.

KaYotiX said:
the button lag is horrible, could only stand 2 matches. I really hope they fix it, i love this game.
was ok for me but kept doing the wrong moves now and again because of the delay, still against gaffers I play for fun, against randoms I get angry :S

KaYotiX

Banned
Diablohead said:
was ok for me but kept doing the wrong moves now and again because of the delay, still against gaffers I play for fun, against randoms I get angry :S

Your Ermac is impressive also :) If they can get it to be more like SSF4 netcode then damn ill be on MK for awile.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Diablohead said:
gg all will play more tomorrow, hit 100 plays online just now too.

Need to learn how to counter half the shit jade does :p her glowing state is way too good lol

I chose sub to use ice clones but the moment you walked through it I knew I was in trouble again lol.

ggs. Yeah shadow flash is real good. I haven't even started using the ex version that well yet and that version is really crazy heh. Might be best to save meter against Sub Zero though because her xray is a full-screen fireball punisher.

How laggy was it for you? Was pretty smooth for me considering you're in Europe.

Lost Fragment said:
ggs. Yeah shadow flash is real good. I haven't even started using the ex version that well yet and that version is really crazy heh. Might be best to save meter against Sub Zero though because her xray is a full-screen fireball punisher.

How laggy was it for you? Was pretty smooth for me considering you're in Europe.
felt good but the odd stutter, better then most randoms and fully playable, no offline reaction times though if you could notice by me dropping blocks :p

Your avatar is from the beetlejuice cartoon right?

sleepykyo

notworksafe said:

And yet most tourneys are now run on the 360. The controller issue more or less became resolved after the Madcatz TE became popular. And the whole performance issues in the PS3 versions (7 frames of input lag in comparison to the 5 on the 360 ssf4, the slowdown in SC4, the frame rate/dropped frames in MVC3) of games.

On that note, did anyone do a test on the input lag for MK? For a 60?fps game, something feels off. Though it could just be me still needing to get used to the MK style.

Ninja Scooter said:
Kinect. Think about it.

sleepykyo said:
And yet most tourneys are now run on the 360. The controller issue more or less became resolved after the Madcatz TE became popular. And the whole performance issues in the PS3 versions (7 frames of input lag in comparison to the 5 on the 360 ssf4, the slowdown in SC4, the frame rate/dropped frames in MVC3) of games.

On that note, did anyone do a test on the input lag for MK? For a 60?fps game, something feels off. Though it could just be me still needing to get used to the MK style.
jabs in this game are naturally slow if you mean stuff like that, sometimes it's quicker to use for example ermacs bf1 then to press 2 on punish, unlike SF4 were I would mash LP into balrogs charge punch combo or shoryuken.

notworksafe

sleepykyo said:
Most where? Everything around here is pretty much PS3 only still.

And who plays SC4 in tournament? I thought Hilde killed off people caring about that game. :p

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I think most majors are on PS3, and most tournies otherwise are on 360, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm reading that the issue might not be that combos do different damage when you're offline, it might be that training mode reports the wrong damage values but actual matches report the correct ones.

Diablohead said:
Your avatar is from the beetlejuice cartoon right?

Indeedily.

notworksafe

MThanded said:
sonya is godlike. psn needs to come back online so I can beast with the shitty netcode.
Fuck yes she is! She just needs an alt where she wears a proper shirt so I don't feel like a weirdo when picking her.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
zoner said:
What's the combo to chain Sektor's teleport uppercut into another one?

I use teleport uppercut, f.44, teleport uppercut

pretty simple, 21% damage full screen punish against someone spamming projectiles

Cerrius said:
I use teleport uppercut, f.44, teleport uppercut

pretty simple, 21% damage full screen punish against someone spamming projectiles
damn son and I thought teleport into uppercut was bad enough, I always try to block 99% of the time against sektor.

notworksafe

Xevren said:
All her costumes are so terrible =(
Yeah. :\

Where's that MK1/3 Klassic, NRS?
1536136-sonya_blade_large.png

Minamu

I love this game :D Just found out that it will take you around 700 hours to get the platinum trophy, but I can't help myself from having a blast. In fact, this will probably make it easier to enjoy. Haven't tried online yet for obvious reasons but offline vs and story mode is so damn good :D

Are there any good videos of Sindel? I'm thinking of maining her or Kabal/Smoke/Noob but those are some of the most popular ones already :(

Ninja Scooter said:
That is the other thing, they kind of lose their luster in general. I just wonder if the whole fatality concept can be overhauled and made fresh again.

No.

Don't overhaul anything.

Killer_fatality.jpg

Bad stuff happens when they try to do that.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
MThanded said:
sonya is godlike. psn needs to come back online so I can beast with the shitty netcode.
so you like the blond chick with the insta dive kick, leg throws and says "mission accomplish".....

:O

sleepykyo

notworksafe said:
Yeah. :\

Where's that MK1/3 Klassic, NRS?
1536136-sonya_blade_large.png

Break: PS3
WNF: 360
Box Arena: 360
Guard Crush/Next Level/8 bit gaming: 360
Dreamhack: 360
Godsgarden: 360
Keystone/Starbase/Shadowbrook: 360

I'll second or third the MK3 Sonya especially (though not likely) if it they go back to Kerri Hoskins model.

edit: Sonya's divekick is unsafe on block instead of plus frames though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom