• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
XiaNaphryz said:
Weird seeing all the posts of people who can't see the second fatality in the pause menu after unlocking them in the Krypt, I unlocked all of them and see them fine without having to do them first. I'm on PS3 if it matters.

Did you view them in the Nekropolis gallery or anything after unlock?
I wondered where my alts were until I went looking in the nekropolis and found that after I selected each character in there that it gave me a message about the new costume being available... didn't try looking at anything in the gallery...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I can find clips of horror movies with brutal killings, I can find clips of dudes literally non stop swearing yet this is being censored?

What the fuck is this shit?

Also they seriously fucked up with the Johnny Cage casting. He's nowhere near douchebaggy enough, though at least he can sell the fight scenes.

zlatko

Banned
Played more online today.

Everyone is fucking awful at this game. I started to play ranked just to win a lot so I could get a higher true skill to hopefully fight better players. The sad thing is I fought a few guys who had stats that were like 74 wins and 7 losses and they were pure trash. No I'm not Jesus' second coming at this game, but let me weave you a tale about this 70 some win an few losses player for you.

It's ranked and I see his stats before and think, "oh shit I'm gonna get bodied." Get into character select and it is bar none the most laggy ass game of anything ever. When I picked to move my cursor there was AT LEAST a solid 3 second delay before it would move. I was already getting myself ready for the inevitable loss headed my way.

We get in the game and I'm like, "Okay if I just play smart, and block a lot until he does something super unsafe as his scorpion then I can just punish even on mega lag to get a win." I guess mega lag Scorpion had the same idea since every game he plays is a diarreha of Net Zero dial up. He goes full screen and just sits there blocking. The entire game the only thing he would do is uppercut, and teleport. NO combos, no other buttons hit, nada. Just crouch block full screen. So I go in there a few times first trying to walk up, trying to grab, try to jump, try to teleport, and realize this guy isn't budging and I'm just eating nothing but uppercuts. So I go near him, punch once with a jab and block thinking once he does his uppercut I'll just punish that. No siree, the lag is so shit he's able to uppercut twice before I can even punish with a damn jab. So I rethink on the fly fast one more time and realize I could just go full screen too and chip him to death with Ermacs projectile. I start going for it and he literally let's me take him down to 30% health from chip alone until he realizes, "oh shit he'll win if he keeps this up," and that's when he tossed in teleports. I managed to win 1 round, but the other two were such an awful experience it left me cold and bitter to the entire online of Mortal Kombat until it gets patched.

The rest of the games I played varied from decent to bad net code. Offline I can hit my Ermac 46-49% no meter combos 20 times in a row without missing a beat. I get online and I'm lucky if I get it once every 5 matches. The timing on it isn't even close to being hard like a 1 frame link in SSF4 which I can muster up online frequently as an Abel player, but fuck me sideways on doing a brain dead easy combo with Ermac in MK. That Scorpion was the only person I lost to---everything else was hella free even on shit connections, because people refuse to block after you knock them down. I think the only times I take damage in fights is from random x-rays.

That's my wall of text rant about how grueling the online experience in this game can be.
:(

fernoca said:
I'm an unemployed graphic designer; though it's my degree I usually do it as a hobby. Work usually on anything; retail, customers, cleaning...but no luck finding a new job.

Yeah shits tough here, when I finish my degree Ill go straight to the US. That is when I have a decent portfolio too to show off my work.

fernoca

SixStringPsycho said:
Yeah shits tough here, when I finish my degree Ill go straight to the US. That is when I have a decent portfolio too to show off my work.
Yeah, I'm also planning to move to the US. But want to pay all the bills and save some money first; need a job for that. :(

Cool, al menos ya no me siento tan solo por aca, jajajaja. Thought I was the only one that liked MK and was from PR.

Shingin

We weren't able to stream last week but at Wednesday Night Fights we had MK tournament with some familiar SSF4/T6 faces showing up to play MK.

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RjKwjZsnEg

Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPX-rsNBpgo

We were kicked out of the venue before we could finish up MK tournament so we will be completing the rest of it this Wednesday provided that the venue has their internet working again. If not it'll be recorded and posted on youtube.

fernoca said:
Yeah, I'm also planning to move to the US. But want to pay all the bills and save some money first; need a job for that. :(

Cool, al menos ya no me siento tan solo por aca, jajajaja. Thought I was the only one that liked MK and was from PR.
Nah, there are many Puerto Ricans, Relix is from PR too and also Ive been added in PSN by some Pricans that browse GAF but dont have an account.

XiaNaphryz said:
Weird seeing all the posts of people who can't see the second fatality in the pause menu after unlocking them in the Krypt, I unlocked all of them and see them fine without having to do them first. I'm on PS3 if it matters.

I'm on PS3 as well but still have this issue. It only occurs with player 2 in verses mode, I can see everything through the player 1 move list.

fernoca

At least no PSN has been fun.
One one sitting, worked to get the trophies for:
-Finishing ladder with all characters (thanks to Tag-Ladder, only had to do it with half the roster too so was more like finishing ladder 7 times in a row.)

-Doing the front/back throws with each character (ladder, beginner, front-throw, back throw, Tag, front throw, back throw, pause, character select, choose 2 new characters, repeat)

-Doing a Fatality with each character (went to Nekropolis turned out that only had one character that i never performed a fatality..Ermac)

Doubt I'll ever get the ones for the "secret fights". :p
Tomorrow, to try and get a few more Challenges (at #100 right now). :/

SixStringPsycho said:
Nah, there are many Puerto Ricans, Relix is from PR too and also Ive been added in PSN by some Pricans that browse GAF but dont have an account.
And yeah, I've seen some (like how's rare to find a picture of Relix..without a beer :p), and a few more that popped in this thread too. Really cool.

I don't usually post my PSN-tag around, so that's probably why I don't get requests. :p

Nyx

Had a lot of time with the game last weekend, and singleplayer-wise this is definitely my fav fighter in years.

Story mode is so freaking awesome, the idea is not revolutionary or something, but man it's so much fun ! Really love it that they let you play with almost all the chars, and even though the story has always been crap imo, it's a lot of fun to see how everything is being told again.

Also I found that I love something about almost any char, so many cool ones !

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
This is a pretty hard thread to go through for specifics but does anyone know of any reputable reviews of the Tournament Fight Stick? Want to know if it's worth laying some money down or go with the SE. Cheers.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Shingin-Leveluplive said:
We weren't able to stream last week but at Wednesday Night Fights we had MK tournament with some familiar SSF4/T6 faces showing up to play MK.

We were kicked out of the venue before we could finish up MK tournament so we will be completing the rest of it this Wednesday provided that the venue has their internet working again. If not it'll be recorded and posted on youtube.

Caught this earlier. Good stuff.

You guys gonna be streaming MK at WNF for a while or is this mostly a "new game, we should stream the tournament" week-one thing?

Shingin-Leveluplive said:

Awesome stuff, cant wait for this weeks.

Glass Joe

NumSkull- said:
wow... there's a reptile skin upto $121 with 8 hours still to go o_O

Good lord why? It's a skin and a fatality... for twice the cost of the game? A fool and his money will soon be parted, while the rest of us will wait and eventually be offered DLC for a reasonable price.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
zlatko said:

Everyone is fucking awful at this game. I started to play ranked just to win a lot so I could get a higher true skill to hopefully fight better players. The sad thing is I fought a few guys who had stats that were like 74 wins and 7 losses and they were pure trash. No I'm not Jesus' second coming at this game, but let me weave you a tale about this 70 some win an few losses player for you.

It's ranked and I see his stats before and think, "oh shit I'm gonna get bodied." Get into character select and it is bar none the most laggy ass game of anything ever. When I picked to move my cursor there was AT LEAST a solid 3 second delay before it would move. I was already getting myself ready for the inevitable loss headed my way.

We get in the game and I'm like, "Okay if I just play smart, and block a lot until he does something super unsafe as his scorpion then I can just punish even on mega lag to get a win." I guess mega lag Scorpion had the same idea since every game he plays is a diarreha of Net Zero dial up. He goes full screen and just sits there blocking. The entire game the only thing he would do is uppercut, and teleport. NO combos, no other buttons hit, nada. Just crouch block full screen. So I go in there a few times first trying to walk up, trying to grab, try to jump, try to teleport, and realize this guy isn't budging and I'm just eating nothing but uppercuts. So I go near him, punch once with a jab and block thinking once he does his uppercut I'll just punish that. No siree, the lag is so shit he's able to uppercut twice before I can even punish with a damn jab. So I rethink on the fly fast one more time and realize I could just go full screen too and chip him to death with Ermacs projectile. I start going for it and he literally let's me take him down to 30% health from chip alone until he realizes, "oh shit he'll win if he keeps this up," and that's when he tossed in teleports. I managed to win 1 round, but the other two were such an awful experience it left me cold and bitter to the entire online of Mortal Kombat until it gets patched.

The rest of the games I played varied from decent to bad net code. Offline I can hit my Ermac 46-49% no meter combos 20 times in a row without missing a beat. I get online and I'm lucky if I get it once every 5 matches. The timing on it isn't even close to being hard like a 1 frame link in SSF4 which I can muster up online frequently as an Abel player, but fuck me sideways on doing a brain dead easy combo with Ermac in MK. That Scorpion was the only person I lost to---everything else was hella free even on shit connections, because people refuse to block after you knock them down. I think the only times I take damage in fights is from random x-rays.

That's my wall of text rant about how grueling the online experience in this game can be.

Yeah most of the randoms I've run into have been terribad at the game. Against randoms, I've found myself winning mostly by just blocking and punishing stuff. My record was like 50 and 6 or something until I ran into a guy tonight that kinda-sorta knew what he was doing and gave me several losses.

Lots of people playing this game atm who aren't really fighting game people, I guess.

TheHakku

fernoca said:
Doubt I'll ever get the ones for the "secret fights". :p
Really, shouldn't be too much of a problem. The only one I'm missing is for
Jade. That old-ass bastard won't let me get to her. Part luck to get double flawless on him,
even on beginner.

Just completed challenge tower today. Planning on uploading the video of #300 to youtube. Not too hard when you know some proper strategies. Could help for arcade ladder.

zlatko

Banned
I saw an Ermac today with the classic red ninja outfit. Where do you get that one from pre order wise? It was hella bad ass and I'd honestly want that one, but no way would I pay more than 5 bucks lol.

Edit: @ Tigeruppercut. If you want to get all 10's do a babality. I did it in my first KOTH game when I got my turn as the 7th person in line and everyone up to then was giving out 3-5's for each fight, and then I wrapped it up with babality on Scorpion and got all 10's! :D

Xevren

zlatko said:
I saw an Ermac today with the classic red ninja outfit. Where do you get that one from pre order wise? It was hella bad ass and I'd honestly want that one, but no way would I pay more than 5 bucks lol.

Tournament edition I think.

burgerdog

fernoca said:
At least no PSN has been fun.
One one sitting, worked to get the trophies for:
-Finishing ladder with all characters (thanks to Tag-Ladder, only had to do it with half the roster too so was more like finishing ladder 7 times in a row.)
Uh, what am I missing? I beat tag ladder and only got one ending.

fernoca

burgerdog said:
Uh, what am I missing? I beat tag ladder and only got one ending.
Tag-ladder will only show one ending (the first character you chose); but it actually unlocks both. (You can see the other on Nekropolis and choosing the other character) ;)

TheHakku

It doesn't seem to unlock the alternate costume for the non-victor of the tag ladder, though they all can be obtained in the Krypt anyway. And you should definitely have enough koins after enough playtime. Especially if you've completed story mode, challenge tower, ladder multiple times.

Nyx

Ilive1up said:
Any tips on beating Shao Kahn in story mode?

Jump over him so he does his shoulder-bash-jump (which misses you), then dash forward to him so he will load up one of his big hits, jump over him again which gives you enough time to do an uppercut. Rinse-repeat.

Pengew

Nyx said:
Jump over him so he does his shoulder-bash-jump (which misses you), then dash forward to him so he will load up one of his big hits, jump over him again which gives you enough time to do an uppercut. Rinse-repeat.

The last battle? I just used Teleport then Uppercut over and over.

edit: meant to quote Ilive1up but can't find their post.

Glass Joe

TheHakku said:
It doesn't seem to unlock the alternate costume for the non-victor of the tag ladder, though they all can be obtained in the Krypt anyway. And you should definitely have enough koins after enough playtime. Especially if you've completed story mode, challenge tower, ladder multiple times.

I wonder if they'll make any attempt to keep koins useful down the line after everything's been unlocked.

Glass Joe said:
I wonder if they'll make any attempt to keep koins useful down the line after everything's been unlocked.

I finished the story mode and played some more modes, so have decent amount of koins. But didn't spend even anything.Who designed the Krypt? Someone should bring him to me, so i can make a fatality on him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cerrius said:
I use teleport uppercut, f.44, teleport uppercut

pretty simple, 21% damage full screen punish against someone spamming projectiles
What do you mean by f44?

I've been doing sytsem overload into a back kick into a telepot uppercut which nets me a good 27%/37% if I can land an uppercut at the end

burgerdog

Glass Joe said:
Doubtful and no need. Once you get everything, let them rot. What games with a currency system were ever updated to keep them useful?

Kweh

Oh yeah, I managed to do a babality on Goro yesterday. How did I do that when it doesn't come up with 'Finish Him'?

Xater

NumSkull- said:
wow... there's a reptile skin upto $121 with 8 hours still to go o_O

Now I really wish I had pre-ordered somewhere with a skin. I cold have made some good money of some sucker!

Sblargh

Banned
My sugestion would be to create a 3D (simple) interface to the tower and make the skippable challenges give you the reward.
So, in the beggining of the game, you would have the 300 challenges open, but, like the krypt, you wouldn't know which give what reward. Since costumes are unlocked in the Ladder and fatalities can be done without unlocking them, you wouldn't *have* to do a really tough challenge for either.
Or separate it all. Tower give fatality codes, artwork and music. Ladder gives the costume. Story Mode gives awesome story.
-
Away with the Krypt I say.

Glass Joe

Kweh said:
Oh yeah, I managed to do a babality on Goro yesterday. How did I do that when it doesn't come up with 'Finish Him'?

I think you have to do a babality in every match prior, and Goro has one done on him automatically as an Easter egg. Never done it so the info could be wrong though.

EDIT: Yeah my Koin comment was made because I'm pretty darn sure I'll have the krypt 100% unlocked well before I've gotten all the challenges and endings done. I wouldn't say "do away with the krypt," but I wish they'd gone in a different direction with it. Instead of giving things that are unlockable in different ways, I would have appreciated more history, more videos, more off-the-wall goofiness. Alt costumes and especially fatality inputs didn't have to be in there.

There's some news from a post on the website.

Mo says at 11:45 pm, April 25, 2011

It looks like Prima has heard the complaints and is trying to right the wrong…

Prima customers, we are listening and we want to make this right. In an effort to make amends, we will be reprinting and shipping (free of charge) a full set of corrected character quick reference cards to any dissatisfied customers. The cards will be complete with all moves, Fatalities and Babalities, and free to anyone who bought the Official Guide or the Kollector’s Edition Guide. To receive your copy of the cards, please send your name, address, and e-mail to

feedback@primagames.com

Please be patient with us as we print and ship the new cards. You can request them now, and we will notify you as soon as we have a definite delivery date.

I used classic ermac in the gaf room last night for a bit, yes his classic is awesome. I have scorpions too but don't play with him much at all.

zlatko said:

I can't even get into a ranked game (or even an unranked game).

Lost Fragment said:

I guess I agree, its basically a $20 manual, and those extra $15 for the KE Guide give you the reference cards which are pretty much the only thing really valuable. They didn't need to put screenshots for every hit in every move. But I got some good use out of the reference cards last week when playing with a friend who hadn't played MK in 15 years. And if they send out the replacement cards in a timely manner and make sure they are 100% fixed then I'll be satisfied.

The whole guide thing is silly if you think about it. Publishers and developers should really just hire their own guys to do guides in house since they'll have way more time with the game and they'll have access to all of the play testers so guys like Check could've gone through the guide and make sure its not crap.

LM4sure

Banned
NeonZ said:
The final boss in Mortal Kombat 4 and the old Sub Zero action game. In Mortal Kombat 4, he was pretty much a Shang Tsung replacement, able to use the movesets of the other characters. In the Sub Zero game, he became a big skeleton monster, but in Mortal Kombat 4 that only was used for fatalities.

Storywise, he's an evil god. He later appeared in Mortal Kombat Armageddon with his own moveset, summoning skeleton monster hands from the ground or in fireball-type attacks.

Gameplay video from Armageddon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjDPC2QMG6Y

A former Elder God?! :O

He will be a tough opponent in MK10!!

MMaRsu

Wow, so i read that if you have CFW you can actually download a single txt file and that will unlock all classic kostumes..

illegal or not, pretty crazy. Didn't even require a hack like with MvC3..

Sblargh

Banned
Messi said:
I can't do anything other than a 4 hit combo, help me GAF!

I like playing as Noob Saibot and Jade, I think.

To keep comboing, you need to do an attack that "pop up" the opponent, that means making them float in the air enough time for you to juggle him with other attacks. Every character can pop with a neutral jump punch, so you can see what it is all about.
Next, you go to training and just do the combos on the move list until you find out which ones pop up, after that it is usually dash and keep hitting. Each hit makes them fall faster, so the next one is more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom