• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
FINALBOSS said:
Is ANYONE maining Lui Kang? I always hated that little prick.

Yup I am. I've bounced around between Scorpion, Ermac, and Liu Kang but I think I've settled on Liu.

He's a rushdown beast and once he gets in close his safe 50/50s are godlike.

Cerrius said:
Yup I am. I've bounced around between Scorpion, Ermac, and Liu Kang but I think I've settled on Liu.

Yeah...you raped me yesterday with him :(

SuperBonk said:
To be fair, human Smoke before this game was literally a Scorpion clone, except faster and better combos. I think Netherrealm can give robo Smoke a fairly unique moveset based on what they did with human Smoke in MK9.

Not to mention that Smoke already had a pretty unique moveset in Deception/Armageddon for the few that remember those games.

Ofcourse, that was all his character entailed. I gave credit to deception and armag having more original moves, I suppose he could rehash some of that but I know everyone prefers some new moves. You don't want to steal too much from the MK9 pallet either. I guess what I'm saying is what would Robo Smoke really bring to the table? Would you guys be satisfied to just have a robo smoke costume, basically the opposite of what was done for Cyrax and Sektor?

Squall ASF said:
Ofcourse, that was all his character entailed. I gave credit to deception and armag having more original moves, I suppose he could rehash some of that but I know everyone prefers some new moves. You don't want to steal too much from the MK9 pallet either. I guess what I'm saying is what would Robo Smoke really bring to the table? Would you guys be satisfied to just have a robo smoke costume, basically the opposite of what was done for Cyrax and Sektor?
I wouldn't want new moves. I just want an alternate cyber costume for Smoke. It'd also be cool to have a "MK 1" version of Smoke. No need to change his move set.

Duress

I'm trying to find that one Mortal Kombat video of the announcer asking the fighters to kiss each other. I forget what it was called.

The Lamonster said:
I wouldn't want new moves. I just want an alternate cyber costume for Smoke. It'd also be cool to have a "MK 1" version of Smoke. No need to change his move set.

I mentioned previously that I'd love a new costume for Smoke. He's going to be my main and his two choices right now are 1.WTFHAIR and 2. Boring. I dig his mask but everything else feels vanilla. Robo would be interesting. What I'd REALLY like though is Smokes personal take on Ermac's alternate. I just love that hood robe over the ninja suit. Noob's primary or should I say your avatar, is one of my other favorites and he's also wearing a hood over his suit. Just looks badass.

Enk said:
I'm creating another GAF room on the 360 version if anyone wants to join.
Good games, Enk. I haven't played much online so it took me a few matches to adjust my timing, but I finally got it going. I'd love to play again later.

Enk

makes good threads.
GAF room is closed for now. I'll reopen it later tonight when more people are on.

Master Thespian said:
Good games, Enk. I haven't played much online so it took me a few matches to adjust my timing, but I finally got it going. I'd love to play again later.

Good games to you too, sir! Next time we should play tag. I actually much prefer that over the one on one.

Arde5643

Cerrius said:

I find that Liu works so fucking well in sweep range.

From around sweep range, he's got b+FP / f+FK / f+FP,BP / f+BP,FK and of course sweep.

And he's also got a nice punish for blocked ground moves with dash BP,FP,FK for a nice at least 35% juggle.

His wake-up is pretty weak since he really only has parry to work with although EX parry on counter gives you a free 35-40% juggle so I guess that's pretty dang good.

b+FP~low fireball is a nice block string as well that's very hard to block since they have to low block it from further than sweep range distance.

Anyone find any good use of his dragon stance? I wonder if you can cancel it on a blocked f+FP,BP to catch anyone who likes to jab/throw after blocking f+FP,BP.

cuevas said:
I like smoke's Alt.

It's not bad, just boring compared to the other ninja's. Ermac and Noob have a hood, Scorpion and Sub's masks really stand out. Smokes is more subtle which I like, but combined with the plain head cover is a tad generic. A hood to accentuate the mask would be awesome. Anyway, the current alt. works in the meantime. This is probably the first time I've ever even considered getting a skin for a video game so kudos to NRS for making me care. Give me a sick Smoke alt. and I'll give you monies :)

Cerrius said:

Since you main Liu, would you know off the top of your head the animations for his forward and backwards throw? Trying to get the grapple achievement and everytime I did Liu's throws, it seemed the same. Spins them around and does some bicycle move on them to kick them back. Couldn't tell a difference.

Xater

G-Fex said:
I salute you sir. I wish I at least got hate mail.

I get beaten after 1 or 2 matches then they quit after they get bored. :(

Geting hate mail is always great in fighting games. Got some good ones in SF4 and MvC3. Hopefully MK wil be no different.

Arde5643

Squall ASF said:
It's not bad, just boring compared to the other ninja's. Ermac and Noob have a hood, Scorpion and Sub's masks really stand out. Smokes is more subtle which I like, but combined with the plain head cover is a tad generic. A hood to accentuate the mask would be awesome. Anyway, the current alt. works in the meantime. This is probably the first time I've ever even considered getting a skin for a video game so kudos to NRS for making me care. Give me a sick Smoke alt. and I'll give you monies :)

Since you main Liu, would you know off the top of your head the animations for his forward and backwards throw? Trying to get the grapple achievement and everytime I did Liu's throws, it seemed the same. Spins them around and does some bicycle move on them to kick them back. Couldn't tell a difference.
Forward throw ends with Liu uppercutting the guy.
Back throw ends with Liu jumping and kicking the guy in the back.

Arde5643 said:
Forward throw ends with Liu uppercutting the guy.
Back throw ends with Liu jumping and kicking the guy in the back.

Bless you sir, that is indeed different. Now I just have to figure out why the hell it wasn't doing it when I was pressing throw without hitting/holding back. Glad I asked while at work today, already went through a few rows before stopping last night and probably would have ended up going through the whole rest of the roster if I didn't ask!

Pookaki said:
Nightwolf is my go to guy.

Severely underrated. SUPER easy 3 hit 20% combo. I lub him.

Not at all, the guide actually lists him as one of the four god tier characters. Kung Lao, Shang Tsung, Raiden, and Night Wolf.

I'm personally more interested to see who the pro's consider top tier though once the game has been out for a while. Either way, I've picked my character and once I finish all the 1 player stuff, will dedicate myself to mastering him, god tier or no. I'm sure Smoke will at least find himself in the second highest tier anyway.

Squall ASF said:
Bless you sir, that is indeed different. Now I just have to figure out why the hell it wasn't doing it when I was pressing throw without hitting/holding back. Glad I asked while at work today, already went through a few rows before stopping last night and probably would have ended up going through the whole rest of the roster if I didn't ask!

Not at all, the guide actually lists him as one of the four god tier characters. Kung Lao, Shang Tsung, Raiden, and Night Wolf.

I'm personally more interested to see who the pro's consider top tier though once the game has been out for a while. Either way, I've picked my character and once I finish all the 1 player stuff, will dedicate myself to mastering him, god tier or no. I'm sure Smoke will at least find himself in the second highest tier anyway.
Back throw is the default throw in MK. To get the front throw you have to hit forwards. You might have been getting the forwards throw by accident if you do a dash up and then throw. Just to be sure, I always hit a direction.

Apparently this game takes place on Tits Island. Sonya's "uniform" is probably the most modest outfit a female character has in this game. I approve.

Also, Stryker has the best X-Ray.

Master Thespian said:
Back throw is the default throw in MK. To get the front throw you have to hit forwards.
......Wow, I feel dumb. I guess I normally am holding forward when throwing so never noticed. Super weird that he's the only character I didn't do that naturally with out of the entire roster! Must not be meant to use that guy haha

On another note, how many of you guys use the super (first level meter, I think EX?) in battle? My friends and I seem to always save for the x-rays and I'll use a combo breaker in serious situations but I never seem to use the first level. I get the impression that they would be useful at higher level play to incorporate frequently with combos and such.

Squall ASF said:
......Wow, I feel dumb. I guess I normally am holding forward when throwing so never noticed. Super wierd that he's the only character I didn't do that naturally with out of the entire roster! Must not be meant to use that guy haha

On another note, how many of you guys use the super (first level meter, I think EX?) in battle? My friends and I seem to always save for the x-rays and I'll use a combo breaker in serious situations but I never seem to use the first level. I get the impression that they would be useful at higher level play to incorporate frequently with combos and such.

It's used with some characters combos like Kung Lao. I like to use it to superman the guys with Raiden who love their projectiles.

ithorien

KevinCow

Banned
Today I realized Stryker is the only character I'm any good with and I feel like a terrible person for it.

...Though this game's kinda made me warm up to him. His whole "POLICE BRUTALITY" theme is just so hilariously over the top.

Irish

Ermac's alternate is really badass. I was really disappointed in the rest of the ninja's Alt designs. I wanted to see something akin to Deception Subby as his alt, instead of that plain design meant to stand in for older Sub.

In fact, I was displeased with 95% of the alts. I really wish they would have been as creative with them as they were for the challenges in tower (even though this Cyrax one is currently pissing me off).

What did the concept art in the art books look like? The Reptile stuff that was posted before was awesome. Were there any others on the same level as that stuff, Moonsault or anyone else who has the artbook?

NIN90

Parallax Scroll said:
Apparently this game takes place on Tits Island. Sonya's "uniform" is probably the most modest outfit a female character has in this game. I approve.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Shingin

Lost Fragment said:
Caught this earlier. Good stuff.

You guys gonna be streaming MK at WNF for a while or is this mostly a "new game, we should stream the tournament" week-one thing?

We don't stream it then i'll most likely try to record games that don't get that much coverage at wnf. So there hopefully be a steady stream of content thats not mvc3.

cuevas said:
It's used with some characters combos like Kung Lao. I like to use it to superman the guys with Raiden who love their projectiles.

I can see how some of them would be pretty useful for some characters. Trying to think what would be beneficial for Smoke. I can see the larger hit box for the smoke bomb being useful as it'd be easier to combo in. Invisibility...I suppose if you pinned someone to the wall you could bounce between low and high attacks and they wouldn't know where to block. Hell, you could switch between uppercuts and sweeps at random patterns even. It's cool that the super shake punishes pretty much any attack, but I would think the only thing useful to counter would be specials anyway so the normal version would do just fine. Unless you can counter x-ray maybe. Not sure what the smoke movement super would be, shoot across whole screen? Teleport punch getting an extra hit wouldn't be all that special either unless you used it at the end of a combo...though that is an interesting possibility...

outsidah

Lots of positive from this game. I loved the story mode and thought they did an EXCELLENT job with that.

All around, I am extremely happy with the game with gameplay, sound production (so key!) and graphics.

Gameplay wise though, I have to have a gripe with the Xrays... they slow the whole damn pace of the game and are way too strong IMHO. It turns into a blocking party when two players who know what they are doing see that bar fill up because no one wants a surprise 40% of life missing.

I haven't spent TOO much time playing online, so perhaps this is a short sighted observation as my level of play isn't very high yet... but it is irritating.

KevinCow said:
Today I realized Stryker is the only character I'm any good with and I feel like a terrible person for it.

...Though this game's kinda made me warm up to him. His whole "POLICE BRUTALITY" theme is just so hilariously over the top.
Totally. He was kind of a lame character in MK3. Much more awesome now with the brutality angle played up.

sixghost

Irish said:
Ermac's alternate is really badass. I was really disappointed in the rest of the ninja's Alt designs. I wanted to see something akin to Deception Subby as his alt, instead of that plain design meant to stand in for older Sub.

In fact, I was displeased with 95% of the alts. I really wish they would have been as creative with them as they were for the challenges in tower (even though this Cyrax one is currently pissing me off).

What did the concept art in the art books look like? The Reptile stuff that was posted before was awesome. Were there any others on the same level as that stuff, Moonsault or anyone else who has the artbook?
The cynic in me thinks they're saving the good alts for DLC costumes. Neverrealm probably saw how much damn money Capcom made off alts.

sixghost said:
The cynic in me thinks they're saving the good alts for DLC costumes. Neverrealm probably saw how much damn money Capcom made off alts.
Well, they gave us so much shit with the game itself that if they wanna make DLC bank Capcom style
I_Ain_t_Even_Mad.jpg

eshwaaz

Cerrius said:

Arde5643 said:
I find that Liu works so fucking well in sweep range.

From around sweep range, he's got b+FP / f+FK / f+FP,BP / f+BP,FK and of course sweep.

And he's also got a nice punish for blocked ground moves with dash BP,FP,FK for a nice at least 35% juggle.

His wake-up is pretty weak since he really only has parry to work with although EX parry on counter gives you a free 35-40% juggle so I guess that's pretty dang good.

b+FP~low fireball is a nice block string as well that's very hard to block since they have to low block it from further than sweep range distance.

Anyone find any good use of his dragon stance? I wonder if you can cancel it on a blocked f+FP,BP to catch anyone who likes to jab/throw after blocking f+FP,BP.

Wow, you guys make me realize just how casual a player I am. I'm having a blast with this game, but it's almost like you're speaking another language.

Unicorn

I think I'm really liking Kano best.

But, there's no way to tell, because no friends want to play with me, and my Live expired a couple months back and I don't have a job to buy another year of it.

So, I'm trapped learning how to play AI and as soon as I fight another human I'm going to have to learn to play the game all over again.

I really wish I could really play the actual fighting. haha

Arde5643

eshwaaz said:
Wow, you guys make me realize just how casual a player I am. I'm having a blast with this game, but it's almost like you're speaking another language.
I think it helps that a lot of us playing MK9 right now also hailed from either HDremix, SF4, Tekken, or MVC3 or even from even older games (ST, SF3, MvC2, etc).

So we're pretty used to the different lingo for different games.

But if MK9 can bring more people to try out different fighting games, the better. :D

It's funny, I'm almost frustrated that there's so much content because I really want to learn how to use one character really well but instead I have to keep jumping between everyone on the roster haha It's really a good thing. I knocked out Story mode and have beaten arcade with everyone so there's just a little shoring up to do in ladder for achievements, and then the mission tower before I can start training with a character.

Footos22

3 days with this game and i have done every challenge tower mission, story mode and half of all ladder matches. Im addicted. :( Wish PSN was bloody working pretty sure id rape that too.
Challenge tower has made me a beast with scorpian and ermac

scorpion has too many good moves, he is so annoying online with his teleports, unblockable hellfire and spear, while you can avoid them all he is the most stressful fight for me.

Squall ASF said:
It's funny, I'm almost frustrated that there's so much content because I really want to learn how to use one character really well but instead I have to keep jumping between everyone on the roster haha It's really a good thing. I knocked out Story mode and have beaten arcade with everyone so there's just a little shoring up to do in ladder for achievements, and then the mission tower before I can start training with a character.

Yeah I'm in the same boat...so much stuff to do in SP I haven't had time to practice with my main. The upshot is you get a good feel for all the characters, so when you choose it's a prettty informed decision.

Arde5643

Diablohead said:
scorpion has too many good moves, he is so annoying online with his teleports, unblockable hellfire and spear, while you can avoid them all he is the most stressful fight for me.
Scorpion's moves are all unsafe - even just moving will avoid hellfire.

Agreed that online the moves can be really annoying to punish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom