• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendelrt

Sinatar said:
It's a puzzle. He has a very defined very easy pattern that once you learn it you can easily score a double flawless on him. He's the end boss of the game, it's supposed to be tricky. You don't play any other game and expect to beat a boss by just flailing away so don't expect that here either.
See that's my point, if I wanted to play aQTE I would go play GOW, fighting games aren't supposed to be about find a cheap exploit to win. I shouldn't have to drop the difficulty on one character when I haven't had any issues getting that far, that just screams bad design. I didn't do it on devil may cry 3, I sure as hell shouldn't have to do it on mortal kombat.

KaYotiX

Banned
grendelrt said:
Ugh seriously if I reviewed this game I would drop its score 2 points just because of the Shao Khan fights. Final fight of story mode (guessing) and I just gave up. Its embarrassing how a developer in this day and age can put something so cheap and stupid in a game. I like to win my fights by skill, not trying to find some stupid cheap method to exploit the fight just to win. Totally just sucked all the fun out of the game I was having. Takes half damage, unblockable moves, randomly gets a shield so he can pot shot you, spams attacks at an inhuman rate, etc. Seriously Netherealm learn code some real fighting AI...

set difficulty to beginner. Like others said its a puzzle, just exploit it :)

Squall ASF said:
Bless you sir, that is indeed different. Now I just have to figure out why the hell it wasn't doing it when I was pressing throw without hitting/holding back. Glad I asked while at work today, already went through a few rows before stopping last night and probably would have ended up going through the whole rest of the roster if I didn't ask!

Not at all, the guide actually lists him as one of the four god tier characters. Kung Lao, Shang Tsung, Raiden, and Night Wolf.

I'm personally more interested to see who the pro's consider top tier though once the game has been out for a while. Either way, I've picked my character and once I finish all the 1 player stuff, will dedicate myself to mastering him, god tier or no. I'm sure Smoke will at least find himself in the second highest tier anyway.

Press toward and throw when you try instead of neutral.. if you're walking into them, it should work better.

I think Kano's throw is the same foward and back with the only difference being which side you end up on... at first I thought his choke move was a throw, but it's not obviously. :D

Where are you doing the throws? Ladder and story are where I did all of them, I believe. I'm 95% sure the story throws/xrays count towards the cheese.

evil ways

grendelrt said:
See that's my point, if I wanted to play aQTE I would go play GOW, fighting games aren't supposed to be about find a cheap exploit to win. I shouldn't have to drop the difficulty on one character when I haven't had any issues getting that far, that just screams bad design. I didn't do it on devil may cry 3, I sure as hell shouldn't have to do it on mortal kombat.
MK doesn't have health power ups or weapons upgrades though.

grendelrt said:

Are you saying you didn't have to spend large portions of time in DMC3 learning boss patterns and perfecting your strategy? Learning to beat the final boss here is no different. :)

grendelrt

corrosivefrost said:
Are you saying you didn't have to spend large portions of time in DMC3 learning boss patterns and perfecting your strategy? Learning to beat the final boss here is no different. :)
True, in action games that's more the norm, but in most cases they don't randomly return invincible. I guess I'm the only one who thinks its an issue and spoils an otherwise very good game, so I'll shut up now :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
grendelrt said:

So what you're saying is that this is your first fighting game ever, at least in single player. Well this is how the bosses are in pretty much every fighter ever.

Glass Joe

fernoca said:
Guess you'll fit at IGN well. They deducted points to the score because the Story Mode was difficult. Plus, you can change the difficulty to Beginner (or Easy) if you're having such a hard time, the default is Medium. :p

Not to mention that it was done like that on purpose. Shao Kahn on Ladder Mode is much easier (and less cheap).

Being done on purpose doesn't mean it was a great idea though. I still consider it a poor design choice. I got through story mode and like a lot of people, had to look up how to beat him because it was cheap. Just because I know how to do it doesn't mean it was fun and that I'd look forward to those scenes again.

He's easier in ladder mode, but still cheap. I wouldn't dock it 2 points like IGN, but it's worth noting and is worth lowering the score a bit for it.

sleepykyo

Blueblur1 said:
Is it me or is the volume for this game really low? I set the volume settings to high in the Options and I still have to set my TV's volume level twice as high as I would with every other game I own.

The sound effects aren't. The music and ending narrative are.

Frankfurt

Banned
There are two kinds of fighting game bosses: piss-easy and insanely cheap. There's never been a boss (at least in any mainstream fighter) that was even remotely good/reasonable/fun. The people complaining seem to be in the camp that want easy bosses, since there's never been a 3rd alternative.

grendelrt

Frankfurt said:
There are two kinds of fighting game bosses: piss-easy and insanely cheap. There's never been a boss (at least in any mainstream fighter) that was even remotely good/reasonable/fun. The people complaining seem to be in the camp that want easy bosses, since there's never been a 3rd alternative.
I dint think that's true, I even remember M Bison being hard but not insanely cheap. If Kahn didn't have the invisible shield I think it would have been at least better of a fight.

Glass Joe

Frankfurt said:

Well, technically Shao Kahn isn't hard. You just have to spam projectiles. It would be more fun and make more sense if you didn't have to use a cheap strategy to beat him. It feels more like an exploit than a legit tactic.

sleepykyo: Yeah the cut-scenes are too quiet. I had to turn the volume up and then back down for fights during story mode. I think there's an option to lower /adjust sfx volumes on the title screen, but not during the game. Meaning, you can't really just pause at any time, adjust, and then see if you've gotten it to your liking.

Frankfurt said:
I'm OK with easy.

KevinCow

Banned
Frankfurt said:

I'd rather fight a piss easy boss who I can fight using the skills I've learned in the rest of the game than a cheap and shitty boss who punishes me for playing the game the way it's supposed to be played and tests nothing but my ability to find holes in the AI.

G-Fex

I was laughing once I put Story Mode's difficulty to Beginner.

I literally beat everyone by spamming hard punches. except khan

This game is a Mortal Kombat throwback. In Mortal Kombat, Shao Khan fucks you up. I mean shit we were doing that that Raiden strategy back in MK2.

KevinCow said:
I'd rather fight a piss easy boss who I can fight using the skills I've learned in the rest of the game than a cheap and shitty boss who punishes me for playing the game the way it's supposed to be played and tests nothing but my ability to find holes in the AI.

There hasn't been a boss in fighting games for at least the last decade with a boss like that. Besides, you technically are using the skills you've learned. You're just applying them differently.

As requested. Hope I don't get in trouble.

Cool Johnny Cage concepts
10515rs.jpg

Gears of Jax
1zenbd.jpg

Bald Kano
213p0tu.jpg

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So I'm watching the second mk movie and I'm curious, who the hell is the hooded guy shao kahn keeps calling father. Lol

Just traded with a gaffer for reptile classic and I can't enter the code cuz PSN is down. :'(

Big One said:
Man where the fuck is my MK3 Kano costume?

qDcpt.gif

Seems the best costume is forgotten as usual though.

What do you mean? Kano's default costume in the game IS his MK3 costume...he just has hair + a beard this time around. However, if you were talking about his MK1 costume, then I agree completely.

sleepykyo

zlatko said:
This is one of my favorite games to watch others fight. When is the next big name tournament that will have this? I want to see pros get scrappy in this game soon. :)

On that note where are the dedicated (high level) MK streams? Stopped by trmk and saw that there were over 600 people browsing the forum. Outside of the SF/MVC3 streams giving it some time, the MK streams have been pretty underwhelming.

Big One

Banned
Emperor Bohe said:
What do you mean? Kano's default costume in the game IS his MK3 costume...he just has hair + a beard this time around. However, if you were talking about his MK1 costume, then I agree completely.
Eh not really, Kano's costume is quite different, but it's definitely a new take on the MK3 costume. The costume design on that page, however, is far superior to what we have now. But what's even more superior is his MK1 design. They really need to revisit that one someday

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Glass Joe said:
Well, technically Shao Kahn isn't hard. You just have to spam projectiles.
Doesn't really work on the last Shao Kahn story fight, or the arcade ladder fight. At least on Medium or higher. He's still susceptible to well-timed teleport abuse of course.

Irish

I wish the character models themselves looked as good as the concept art. (not talking about from a costume stance here)

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Irish said:
I wish the character models themselves looked as good as the concept art. (not talking about from a costume stance here)
All these pics make me wonder how a 2d hand animated sprite version would look.

fernoca

That artwork + the ladder-mode endings-artwork = the game would look quite nice on a similar/cel shaded style. And it could be even more violent and "sexy" since, the ESRB might see it as "animated violence, animated boobs, etc".

Glass Joe

XiaNaphryz said:
Doesn't really work on the last Shao Kahn story fight, or the arcade ladder fight. At least on Medium or higher. He's still susceptible to well-timed teleport abuse of course.

Well, to clarify, you basically spam your character's one move that he's weak on. For Raiden it's the teleport, Liu Kang it's the low fireball, Reptile the acid spit etc. Usually it's a projectile and you stay away until he gets caught in a taunting loop. At least that's how I've been getting through arcade ladder on medium. Definitely not the same as using my reflexes and combos like every other fighter I face in the game.

Man, I would love for them to release a costume editor with all those parts. Even if it's just to ability to toggle glasses/masks/hairstyles/cybernetics on and off. Kitana's bottom row second outfit is nice.

sleepykyo said:
On that note where are the dedicated (high level) MK streams? Stopped by trmk and saw that there were over 600 people browsing the forum. Outside of the SF/MVC3 streams giving it some time, the MK streams have been pretty underwhelming.

I don't think you're going to see an MK community like you do for SF/MvC. You'll just see the high level capcom players play it through Evo, then it'll fade into the background again, probably on the level of Soul Calibur or Tekken in the states.

Was about to quote people, but then I saw so many!

Glad to see other people who would like to see a drawn/cel shaded MK that lives up to the hand drawn art they've put out for this game.

Big One

Banned
I too would like to see something like that. A dark type of celshading, I think would be perfect for MK. Either that or get actual actors play MK characters like they did back in the day instead of reusing multiple body models.

grendelrt said:
I dint think that's true, I even remember M Bison being hard but not insanely cheap. If Kahn didn't have the invisible shield I think it would have been at least better of a fight.
The final fight is basically punch out. Read his patterns and execute. You just need to learn his animation start ups and get good at doing teleports. And once you learn how to do that you can apply that reading and reacting to human opponents as well.

Stryker's win animation is kind of dumb. Why even bother with fatalities if he blows up the loser with a grenade every time! If there's anyone on the roster who needs a Friendshp, it's him.

Fox Mulder

Neuromancer said:
Stryker's win animation is kind of dumb. Why even bother with fatalities if he blows up the loser with a grenade every time! If there's anyone on the roster who needs a Friendshp, it's him.

but his xray, 1st fatality, and arcade ladder ending are all badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom