• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

Xater said:
The Scarlet model is on the disc. She is absolutely confirmed as DLC at this point. There is a video where you can see her.

But her name technically wasn't confirmed, NRS would just refer to her as "Lady in Red". But yes, looks like on disc her name is Skarlet.

orion434

Struct09 said:
Which character did you use? And did you have to cheese all the other fighters too?

I used Scorpion on Expert Ladder 1 Round with 60 Second Timer. I was trying to use the Sheeva + Noob Saibot method which was recommended and Sheeva just sucks when the D,U then Grab method doesn't stick your opponent on the ground... and Kintaro owns her. So I went with Scorpion which is my main and only Melina gives me trouble... so I'd back out of ladder if I saw her as an opponent and hoped that Shang Tsung didn't turn into her.

I just lucked-out with the last fight... I was like how long is he gonna fall for this?
Tower 300 is really starting to annoy me as well... Scorpion vs Melina is not a good match-up on it's own... I don't need her doing extra damage and regaining health! I'm trying to cheeze it with Smoke... I just don't have a method to fight Shao Kahn with him.

depths20XX

I would never want to see an MK vs SF game. Let these two worlds stay seperate.

The excessive gore just doesn't fit with SF in my opinion.

Big One

Banned
Struct09 said:
But her name technically wasn't confirmed, NRS would just refer to her as "Lady in Red". But yes, looks like on disc her name is Skarlet.
Actually I think there's an interview out there that confirms the name unintentionally iirc. But yeah, what really puzzles me about Skarlet is why her alt costume isn't her default costume.

depths20XX

Xater said:
The Scarlet model is on the disc. She is absolutely confirmed as DLC at this point. There is a video where you can see her.

Is it the same girl thats chained up on the arena stage next to Shao Kahn?

Irish

Nemesis556 said:
So I guess that this means LADY IN RED is officially Skarlet?

http://twitter.com/#!/MK_Skarlet

I love how her pic is actually the Gamepro scan. I don't think that is official by any means.

Of course, her name is actually spoken by Shao Kahn in the game. Their was a video released a while back that showed off her model and name.

Raxus

rayner said:
Finally got the "Ladder Master" Achievement and it felt great to get it, but still feel a little guilty of the cheeze. For some reason Shao Kahn was caught in a loop. Forward Jump, uppercut... then back jump, kick and he'd always meet my foot. After that he would taunt... and I'd repeat. I got a Flawless Victory on Expert Shao Kahn...
Yeah. I did tag ladder and the only boss to give me trouble was Shang Tsung. Sheeva and Noob teleports e'ryday.

sleepykyo

Sure Capcom would be spreading itself thin with all these vs games, but tell that to their corporate accountants after the spreadsheet profit margin would roll in.....

Wouldn't be surprised if some were. And seeing as they are doing SF x Tekken, so yeah I can see where it seems like this would be the time. Especially given DmC and Operation Racoon City.

They are both there to chip away a life-bar & both games are strategic in their own ways.

They are, but Reptile is one of the few that can control the speed as opposed to the the three speeds in SF (lp, mp, hp). Closest approximation of SF zoning would be Reptile's game or Cyrax bomb net setups.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
_dementia said:
I wonder how the patch will be administered. The game doesn't employ the traditional title update system does it?
I'm assuming it has that on top of the variable tweaks. Wasn't there a day one patch.

I wonder how pissed NRS is about the PSN downtime. Aside from their game being completely unplayable online, maybe they already have a patch they want to release but can't do it yet...

sleepykyo

Yeah, but aren't the title updates basically just changing values? ie. Damage goes from 3 - 5 where as this an actual bug that needs to be fixed? It's causing the counter to reactivate, which shouldn't even be possible in Cage's case (due to his counter requiring 3 bars).

And seeing as that requires an actual patch, it becomes a question of whether WB wants to pay MS and Sony a fee, right?

One of the comments on the TYM front page was saying that this doesn't work in VS. More tests need to be done!

I believe that the biggest site is TYM for combos/strats/etc. At least, the ones that all the major players go to.

_dementia said:
I wonder how the patch will be administered. The game doesn't employ the traditional title update system does it?

When it says "looking for new online features" when you start the game it checks for any updates to the online database for move properties. They've already made changes to it. One interesting thing about it is that on PS3 it saves that data to your hdd so you always have it whereas on Xbox 360 it never saves that data so if you disconnect your Xbox from Live, you'll be playing with the default move properties the next time you start the game.

They did have to do a Title Update to remove a few infinites though. So if this is a bug with the code they still may have to do a Title Update.

They should really consider doing an arcade edition of the next game, even if its in very limited release so that they can iron out these issues before release.

Master Thespian said:
God, there are so many active MK sites. I wish there was a bug hub like SRK, TZ, 8WR, or VFDC.
I think TYM is the one for serious tourney players. TRMK/MKO are just for fans of the series who are interested in more than just the mehcanics but the lore and other gameplay modes too.

Fantasmo

rayner said:
Tower 300 is really starting to annoy me as well... Scorpion vs Melina is not a good match-up on it's own... I don't need her doing extra damage and regaining health! I'm trying to cheeze it with Smoke... I just don't have a method to fight Shao Kahn with him.

If you fully lose the fight and choose Retry as opposed to Retry during the fight, the match eventually becomes easier after around 10 losses. You'll get health between the opponents and they get hit more. I think it gets even easier from there too.

Regardless, with Mileena your approach should be to save your bar for XRay, and mixup the fight with a couple strategies:

1) crossover jumping punch into uppercut while she's walking toward you
2) If she's a bit father away, sweep her multiple times until she falls and keep sweeping. You can also use this if she blocks one of your aggressive attempts. Then move back to tip 1
3) Don't try to throw her because she often gets priority
4) If tip 1 is failing, keep your finger next to block if she's far, hold onto it when she's close and wait for her to botch rolls and teleport kicks. You have to wait a split second to throw your spear after the roll because when she bounces off you she goes above the spear. If you wait a split second you can catch her
5) Teleport into a combo. Use this sparingly as you can get severely punished
6) XRay when she starts a move once you get it, even if you get hurt your Xray will connect

The AI is smart at this level so you can't abuse just one technique or you'll get punished, but I found that once the difficulty drops, if you mixup the techniques she'll randomly fall for them. Your bread and butter is jumping punch into uppercut, punishing her specials with Spear combos, sweeping Xray, and random teleports.

If you have enough health when you reach Shao, it's just a matter of creating distance, and waiting until he does a move, and following up with a teleport/spear combo. If he's close do the jumping punch, uppercut combo.

This fight was much easier than 251 to be honest.

MThanded

This stealth patching is bad for the community overall. At least in mvc3 you know there was a patch. Here you have no idea if they changed move properties or not. Do they release changelogs?

MThanded said:
This stealth patching is bad for the community overall. At least in mvc3 you know there was a patch. Here you have no idea if they changed move properties or not. Do they release changelogs?
Not so far. They need to look at how Blizzard handles patches, especially with StarCraft II. Not only do they release the notes in advance, but sometimes they even write an article explaining and justifying each change.

blurrygil

I just have to say:

After a week. This game is still f**king amazing to me.

Every time I play the game, I try either a new mode or character and it's like playing SFII for the first time.

NRS & Boon, I bow to you.

Master Thespian said:
God, there are so many active MK sites. I wish there was a bug hub like SRK, TZ, 8WR, or VFDC.

MKO has always been around, even during the series' darkest years. I stick with them. I'll admit however, their front page stuff is WAY out of date.

djgil said:
I just have to say:

After a week. This game is still f**king amazing to me.

Every time I play the game, I try either a new mode or character and it's like playing SFII for the first time.

NRS & Boon, I bow to you.

MKO has always been around, even during the series' darkest years. I stick with them. I'll admit however, their front page stuff is WAY out of date.
As much as I love MKO for sticking around and always updating even when other sites weren't, their message boards are ancient and awful.

TreIII

infinityBCRT said:
I think TYM is the one for serious tourney players. TRMK/MKO are just for fans of the series who are interested in more than just the mehcanics but the lore and other gameplay modes too.

This would be a correct assertion.

If you're focused on competitive play, you can't go wrong with TYM. ClassicMK and UltimateMK are also good choices, but TYM seems to be quickly emerging as the leader.

Raxus

Easy Cash:
There are several secret location in the krypt that give you 5k coins each. Also, if you do test your luck and a dragon coin is in the slot then press FP x7 (second slot rolling), BP x7 (third Slot rolling), and then BK x7 (Final Slot still rolling) and you will ALWAYS land on the dragon coin. You earn 200, 250, and 10k for each coin you land on if you win the match.

Raxus said:
Easy Cash:
There are several secret location in the krypt that give you 5k coins each. Also, if you do test your luck and a dragon coin is in the slot then press FP x7 (second slot rolling), BP x7 (third Slot rolling), and then BK x7 (Final Slot still rolling) and you will ALWAYS land on the dragon coin. You earn 200, 250, and 10k for each coin you land on if you win the match.
It's also easy to do Ladder in Beginner difficulty and get 1k koins for each Flawless Victory.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
This is the best casual fighting game in forever. It's great to have a fighter that plays fantastic on pad, has super easy inputs, and doesn't take long to grasp the basics. I'd say NetherRealm matched my hope for the game.

infinityBCRT said:
When it says "looking for new online features" when you start the game it checks for any updates to the online database for move properties. They've already made changes to it. One interesting thing about it is that on PS3 it saves that data to your hdd so you always have it whereas on Xbox 360 it never saves that data so if you disconnect your Xbox from Live, you'll be playing with the default move properties the next time you start the game.

They did have to do a Title Update to remove a few infinites though. So if this is a bug with the code they still may have to do a Title Update.

They should really consider doing an arcade edition of the next game, even if its in very limited release so that they can iron out these issues before release.
I wonder if tourneys will skew PS3 if that's the case (venue might not have online or whatever)

Nome

DjangoReinhardt said:
This is the best casual fighting game in forever. It's great to have a fighter that plays fantastic on pad, has super easy inputs, and doesn't take long to grasp the basics. I'd say NetherRealm matched my hope for the game.
I think the only thing that makes this game casual is the amount of single-player content it has (which all MK games have).

In terms of the fighting system, I'd take any Capcom game over this in terms of how easy it is to get into. The MK combo system is absolutely horrible; canned combos that you have to input before the first hit in the chain finishes, seemingly arbitrary special attack inputs (ie, Scorpion's teleport punch using a kick button), and just the pure amount of memorization required. Games like Soul Calibur do canned combos right because they encompass a LOT of possible inputs, such that even the most inexperienced masher can pull of something cool, but experienced players are still able to beat them easily due to a mastery of the system. In MK, you can literally mash as much as you want but you won't do anything impressive; in fact, you probably won't do anything at all. MK is basically a huge memorization fest; I'm having a MUCH harder time learning even a single character in MK than I had learning maybe 3 or 4 characters at a casual level in SF4.

That said, this game provides some of the most entertaining matches between experienced players. It's an absolute joy to watch some of the tourney streams posted in this thread. I just wish they made the fighting system and movelists much more intuitive.

MThanded

Casval said:
I think the only thing that makes this game casual is the amount of single-player content it has (which all MK games have).

In terms of the fighting system, I'd take any Capcom game over this in terms of how easy it is to get into. The MK combo system is absolutely horrible; canned combos that you have to input before the first hit in the chain finishes, seemingly arbitrary special attack inputs (ie, Scorpion's teleport punch using a kick button), and just the pure amount of memorization required. Games like Soul Calibur do canned combos right because they encompass a LOT of possible inputs, such that even the most inexperienced masher can pull of something cool, but experienced players are still able to beat them easily due to a mastery of the system. In MK, you can literally mash as much as you want but you won't do anything impressive; in fact, you probably won't do anything at all. MK is basically a huge memorization fest; I'm having a MUCH harder time learning even a single character in MK than I had learning maybe 3 or 4 characters at a casual level in SF4.

That said, this game provides some of the most entertaining matches between experienced players. It's an absolute joy to watch some of the tourney streams posted in this thread. I just wish they made the fighting system and movelists much more intuitive.
Id have to dissagree.

1 frame links , quartercircle motions, etc make it very hard for casuals to get into ssf4.

I love ssf4 but its hard to get casuals interested when they cant do cool things easily. Dial a combos are a lot easier for people than links.

Wohoo, figured out the rest of the fighters for the grappler achievement. Liu Kang was definitely one of them, but alas, wasn't the only one. I had to work my way back through the list since he was the only lead I had. Sektor ended up being the last, not sure if he and Liu were the only two I missed or if someone in-between them was as well.

Good god it sucked balls trying to get secret fighter 2 and 3 achievements, the random events you need to trigger would NOT come. I had to reload the level so many freakin times for each one that it was ridiculous. It got to the point that when it finally happened on Pit, I got so crazy with my attacks that I accidentally shot one last projectile instead of doing the stage fatality FUUUUUUUUUU but I got it to happen again within 5 more matches or so. Thank god. Only need the Jade one now which I have a feeling will be a pain. At least Shang doesn't have a teleport (without morphing).

KiNeSiS said:
I've only seen that one so far, yes that's the one I am speaking on.
Any word on Goro or Kintaro having fatalities?

Yes, all three of them have two fatalties just like the rest of the roster. I've seen both of Shao Kahn's and Kintaro's. Haven't seen any of Goro's, don't ever lose to him, but obviously he'll have two if the other two characters do.

I find it interesting that so many people complain about MK's canned combos being difficult for the casual player, when others complained for years that SF4's reliance on "difficult" link combos was too difficult for the casual player.

That said I would imagine MK allows for casual players to do something fun whenever they find out what move launches people compared to SF4*.

MThanded said:
Id have to dissagree
One thing I have to say is that the chain combo system is tricky for beginners. I brought the game over to a friend who hadn't played a fighting game in 15 years and he was having a fit trying to pull off the combos in the tutorial because he was too slow with the button presses. Maybe they should've widened the input window a little bit to make it just a little bit more accessible.

Nome

Teknopathetic said:
I find it interesting that so many people complain about MK's canned combos being difficult for the casual player, when others complained for years that SF4's reliance on "difficult" link combos was too difficult for the casual player.

That said I would imagine MK allows for casual players to do something fun whenever they find out what move launches people than SF4.
Honestly, my biggest gripe with Capcom fighters is that there's 6 attack buttons.
As I mentioned before, I have no problem with canned combos. 3D fighting games are made of them, and I love Soul Calibur to death. I just think that MK has a very poor, limited implementation of canned combos because they feel totally arbitrary.

MThanded

Teknopathetic said:

That said I would imagine MK allows for casual players to do something fun whenever they find out what move launches people than SF4.
This 1000 times.

kirblar

Casval said:

This post makes my head hurt. Having no diagonal motions simplifies the gameplay by a LOT. Chain combos are about a million times easier than short frame-links that require exact timing from the player. The basic ones are included in the move list, and the trick is to learn how to start stringing them together.

derFeef

Teknopathetic said:

That said I would imagine MK allows for casual players to do something fun whenever they find out what move launches people compared to SF4*.
If this means I can have fun online then :). Have not touched online yet because I am scared... SF was not fun at all - more precise - I never won a match. Would gladly play MK with GAF, but still scared... (and also in Europe)

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Casval said:
I'd say the memorization and the nature of the canned combos is what makes MK so good for casual play. The bulk of the special moves are D, F, button or D, B, button, which is as easy as it gets, and the combos are basically "set it and forget it". Also, the lack of variation in hitboxes for each character means that a little bit of practice goes a long way in this game.

Chairhome

Squall ASF said:
Yes, all three of them have two fatalties just like the rest of the roster. I've seen both of Shao Kahn's and Kintaro's. Haven't seen any of Goro's, don't ever lose to him, but obviously he'll have two if the other two characters do.
I've seen the fatalities on youtube. I haven't seen shao kahn's second one, just
the one where he rips you in half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom