• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardigan

Seraphis Cain said:
Hahaha. Hahahahaha.

(Seriously, go to eBay and search for the costume codes. They're going for upwards of $40-45.)
Wow...that's insane. Who the hell pays that much for a costume?

Ilive1up

someone give me tips on how to beat the final battle with shao kahn. i've been going at it for over a half hour and i haven't even won a round. i'm trying cheap tactics but they do so little damage, and he does so much it doesn't work out.

help me!

Ilive1up said:
someone give me tips on how to beat the final battle with shao kahn. i've been going at it for over a half hour and i haven't even won a round. i'm trying cheap tactics but they do so little damage, and he does so much it doesn't work out.

help me!
The more you "retry," the easier the fight will be. This applies to almost every mode in the game, as far as I can tell.

One way to tell is how much shit-talking Kahn gives you. Usually he doesn't say anything in the first fight but on the 4th or so try he's talking his ass off. But anyway, teleport>uppercut over and over seems to work for most people.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Ilive1up said:

help me!

Sorry yo, teleport and uppercut/sweep/ wait for taunts to combo is the norm.. YOU CAN DO ITTTT!

Ilive1up said:

help me!

Play for the time. Teleport+ Electricity+ Torpedo= win.

Cardigan said:

You clearly didn't see the Reptile one that was bid up to 121 bucks with 8 hours remaining...Not sure what the total price ended up being. Going to be hilarious when NRS releases them as DLC for 5 bucks.

I'm seriously thinking the strategies for beating Shao Kahn in story mode need to be added to the OP. It's asked WAY too often to not warrant it.

Cardigan said:
I don't know. Ask the guy who bought my Reptile code for $56 yesterday. :lol

Ilive1up said:

help me!
I won by attrition. Stay far away, duck under the spears, and spam lightning bolts. Wait for the timer to run out and just make sure you have more health than him. If he gets close, teleport to the other side and run like a coward or if you're feeling sassy, try an uppercut.

The Lamonster said:
The more you "retry," the easier the fight will be. This applies to almost every mode in the game, as far as I can tell.

One way to tell is how much shit-talking Kahn gives you. Usually he doesn't say anything in the first fight but on the 4th or so try he's talking his ass off. But anyway, teleport>uppercut over and over seems to work for most people.
Can you guys confirm this? It's just my opinion so far...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
The Lamonster said:

i felt the same way when playing the story mode, near the 20th time all that bastard did was laugh and taunt me, while i kicked his ass! lol

fernoca

Yeah, someone noted that a Reptile code sold for like $121 a few days ago. :/

And Jade codes were selling for over $25...when you can buy any of the movies and get the code too, for under $15.

fernoca said:

And Jade codes were selling for over $25...when you can buy any of the movies and get the code too, for under $15.

That is crazy.

FINALBOSS

Banned
fernoca said:

Which is absolutely crazy.

I don't even play as Reptile (although I'm thinking about checking him out as a Main) and I redeemed that code before I even got the damn game.

Probably shouldn't have done that.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Beat story mode, only got enough Koins to unlock around 60% of Krypt. Hope the other modes give enough to get the rest without farming...

FINALBOSS said:

I don't even play as Reptile (although I'm thinking about checking him out as a Main) and I redeemed that code before I even got the damn game.

I almost always redeem codes without really thinking about it as soon as I get them, don't know why I didn't this time.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
FINALBOSS said:

So glad i met Anyanka! Now once PSN comes back REPTILE WILL BE OLD SKOOL!

Brandon F said:
Beat story mode, only got enough Koins to unlock around 60% of Krypt. Hope the other modes give enough to get the rest without farming...
You should be fine if you set out to beat ladder with every character and beat the Challenge Tower as well.

Brandon F said:
meh even if you must farm it's actually pretty easy. Just play on the easiest difficulty, flawless victories give you a whole 1000 and it's pretty easy to get them for the first couple of rounds.

fernoca

Yeah. I love MK, and I'm not that crazy, even if I had the money to waste on it. I'm happy with my retro Scorpion, I'd love retro Kitana at least; but I'll wait till whenever they decide to put them or sale. A friend got her; so if I want to see her I just tell my friend to pick her online. :p

In a perfect world, whenever PSN comes back up, MK will be buttery smooth. And the next day they'll give us a release date for the first batch of DLC and also a date on the classic costumes becoming available to all. Wouldn't that be nice?

-Pyromaniac- said:
meh even if you must farm it's actually pretty easy. Just play on the easiest difficulty, flawless victories give you a whole 1000 and it's pretty easy to get them for the first couple of rounds.
hey nice avatar

FINALBOSS

Banned
The Lamonster said:
In a perfect world, whenever PSN comes back up, MK will be buttery smooth. And the next day they'll give us a release date for the first batch of DLC and also a date on the classic costumes becoming available to all. Wouldn't that be nice?

hey nice avatar

Yo playa...you maining Noob? That's who I'm maining right now.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
If only. My Sonya is ready to whup some asses online though.

KiNeSiS

Banned
malfcn said:
I am getting saltier by the match. Random stuff hits, while my timed moves whiff for no reason. Why are certain things safe? Like Scorpion can do his teleport and it will not be punishable. A lot of inconsistencies like that make me angry.

Block MuhFucka Do You Use It?

FINALBOSS said:
Yo playa...you maining Noob? That's who I'm maining right now.
Man, I still can't decide who to main. First I thought I would main Noob but I just can't get the black hole thing down, so I switched to Smoke who turned out to be not as fast as I originally thought, and now I'm thinking Reptile is the one.

But I'm keeping this Noob avatar for a while, I still think he is the coolest looking character. I want this as my Halloween costume haha

Aske

This game is still so good. Challenge Tower is fantastic. I love the little bits of dialogue just to give the experience that extra colour.

Not sure why people were having so much trouble with Shao Kahn in story mode. Standard pattern-based boss fight, far easier than most fighting game bosses. I guess it's an expectation thing. I had the most trouble with Cyber Sub-Zero's chapter, with his 'missing' X-ray. Didn't figure it out until I used him in ladder mode. I want to go back and play story mode again on a harder setting right now, it's that good.

I never expected it, but Kitana seems to be my go-to character. So slick; so many options. Can't wait to finally download her classic alt whenever it goes up. There are still a good few characters I need to really break in though. Just tried out Sindel for example, and I'm really enjoying her. Haven't touched Sektor or Shang Tsung yet. It's kontent overload!

FINALBOSS

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Man, I still can't decide who to main. First I thought I would main Noob but I just can't get the black hole thing down, so I switched to Smoke who turned out to be not as fast as I originally thought, and now I'm thinking Reptile is the one.

But I'm keeping this Noob avatar for a while, I still think he is the coolest looking character. I want this as my Halloween costume haha

Yeah man, I hear you.

The blackhole needs to be sped up BIG time. It's absolutely terrible right now.

I just love how all his ink spills and stuff.

Aske said:
This game is still so good. Challenge Tower is fantastic. I love the little bits of dialogue just to give the experience that extra colour.

Not sure why people were having so much trouble with Shao Kahn in story mode. Standard pattern-based boss fight, far easier than most fighting game bosses. I guess it's an expectation thing. I had the most trouble with Cyber Sub-Zero's chapter, with his 'missing' X-ray. Didn't figure it out until I used him in ladder mode. I want to go back and play story mode again on a harder setting right now, it's that good.

I never expected it, but Kitana seems to be my go-to character. So slick; so many options. Can't wait to finally download her classic alt whenever it goes up. There are still a good few characters I need to really break in though. Just tried out Sindel for example, and I'm really enjoying her. Haven't touched Sektor or Shang Tsung yet. It's kontent overload!
I have been learning every character and going through ladder with them all. I am still amazed by how different everyone is in terms of artistic style and gameplay mechanics. I guess that's part of why it's so hard to find a main to use.

The Lamonster said:
It felt like it in the earlier fights but in the last fight it doesn't feel like that at all, or that its not nearly as big of a difference.

"I thought Scorpion's block IS punishable? If it's blocked you go into the flip punish mode."

If you're crouching, the hit will go over you. If you're blocking while standing it'll go into the super punishable flipping state. It's completely punishable either way.

NIN90 said:
I love
Cyber Sub Zero
It bugs me that he is the only character that doesn't have an alternate. Also, he and Quan Chi and Kratos are not in alphabetical order in the Nekropolis. I'm too OCD for this, Netherrealm!

sleepykyo

Teknopathetic said:
"Try to delay a string or cancel and see what happens. Yeah the game will let you juggle with virtually anything but in terms of delaying strings and hit confirms not so much."

Depends on the string. For example, with Ermac's b+1, 1, 4, after I do the string, I have quite a large window where I can hitconfirm and input a special.

I didn't type that they weren't any. But it isn't nearly the same as MVC3 where everything is cancelable. Also going by exceptional cases, it still wouldn't apply as SC2 Ivy allows to input half the motion for SS, attack, sidestep, complete the motion for Summon Suffering or add one input wait a split second for the stance change, which allows for the Calamity Symphony.

edit: Must steal Kitana comboes. Oh and decide on a main.

FINALBOSS

Banned
scoobs said:
I feel like nobody plays shang tsung... isn't he supposed to be high tier?

Too early for tier lists I'd say--and the Prima strategy guide tier list is a fucking joke.

Shang is very projectile heavy...and with the lag going on, it's hard to get goin with him.

Aske

The Lamonster said:
I have been learning every character and going through ladder with them all. I am still amazed by how different everyone is in terms of artistic style and gameplay mechanics. I guess that's part of why it's so hard to find a main to use.

So true. Most of my time with the game has been Vs mode, so it's been a mixture of getting familiar with characters for a few matches while always mixing up my picks to keep the fights interesting. Single player has been ladder mode for short sessions, and story for when I've really had time to dedicate to it.

I'm working on Noob Saibot's back hole thing too. He has the hands-down best character design. Love that oily bastard. I really like the philosophy behind his combat too: his specials echo his life as Sub-Zero in a way they never did in previous games. His ghost ball is like a spectral ice ball, with a similar debilitating effect rather than being a straight damage projectile. He has his own version of the slide. But he's much quicker, and of course most of his moves are rooted in his new unique powers. I also get a huge kick out of both of his fatalities.

SuperBonk

The Lamonster said:
WOW @ the Sub-Zero ending. That one is by far my favorite so far.

I really hope it is a teaser for the next Shaolin Monks game.
Seriously, it was the most satisfying ending by far. Didn't really think about a new SM possibility, but I would be there day 1 for sure if it happened.

FINALBOSS said:
Too early for tier lists I'd say--and the Prima strategy guide tier list is a fucking joke.

Shang is very projectile heavy...and with the lag going on, it's hard to get goin with him.

Isn't the whole guide is a fucking joke anyway?

gillFTR

ugh man I am so torn between which version to get I got my fightstick for ps3 and psn is down,but my friends are on 360. I also really dont like using a fightstick that much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom