• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DjangoReinhardt said:
I'd say the memorization and the nature of the canned combos is what makes MK so good for casual play. The bulk of the special moves are D, F, button or D, B, button, which is as easy as it gets, and the combos are basically "set it and forget it". Also, the lack of variation in hitboxes for each character means that a little bit of practice goes a long way in this game.

The controls are true for a lot of current fighting games. MvC3 has the same thing as well. Practically every character has L,M,H, launcher, L,M,H. AH3 with A,B,C into super.

Agreed about the variation of hitboxes. I think Shiva is a bit different but for the most part, they are all the same.

is it really its a "set it and forget it" ??? i try doing noobs combos and it seems i have to wait for the right moment to do his Saibot tackling move. I can dial in the regular hits but the saibot tackle i gotta do at the right moment.

Struct09

Sheppard said:
So thinking of getting this. What does gaf think of it?

If you're looking for a fun fighting game packed with content (awesome story mode, huge challenge tower, online play, classic arcade ladder, etc) that also looks and runs beautiful then you shouldn't hesitate. This game is awesome.

Sheppard said:

I'm one of those people who falls for fighting game hype and buy a few games now and then like BlazBlue and MvC3 and I never learn the mechanics and give up after a few weeks. I just picked this game up yesterday and I've already learned combos and I don't get tired playing it. It's just plain fun. Highly recommended.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Sheppard said:

What are you looking for in it? The online play is sort of crappy given latency issues, but there's a ton of singleplayer content to work through between unlocks, story mode, and the challenge tower. It's also a super-fun fighting game to pull out at a party, and a serviceable 1 on 1 game for local play. If you're in the mood for a 2D fighter laden with a bit of nostalgia and plenty to do in singleplayer, you really can't go wrong. If you're looking for an amazingly deep online game... it's passable, as long as you can manage to mitigate or work around the latency.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I generally hate fighting games - the last one I enjoyed being Power Stone 2. But as I got older fewer people want to play games in the same room and so fighting games have gotten far more boring for me. I bought Mortal Kombat Armageddon only to fool around with the create-a-fighter mode.

I only got this game because of a deal that could net me a copy for cheap; though it has been such a surprise love of mine. I think it's the first time a single player mode in a fighting game has kept me so engaged. There is something so appealing about the Story Mode that has the same charm of the original games. Playing it makes me feel like a little kid again. I haven't even touched Portal 2 as result and was actually bummed out when the story ended, a unique change of pace as I find myself lately hoping a game would end soon just so I could be done with it.

Nemesis_

2nqcns3.jpg

Managed to get confirmation, Skarlet is not real. =(

Chairhome said:
I've seen the fatalities on youtube. I haven't seen shao kahn's second one, just
the one where he rips you in half

Yeah I thought he just had one for a while and then he started doing the rip one. He's done that one the last multiple times he's performed a fatality now. It's like once it happened, it started trickling in. Similarly, Kintaro would never do a fatality but once he finally did, he started doing it more often.

So how many people have tackled Ladder on Expert? Is it ridiculous? not as bad as you'd think?

Nome

Sheppard said:
By all means yes. It's a great game, and even if you have no intention of stepping online the single-player experience sets the bar (way high) for fighting games in general.

Whether it'll have any longevity as a competitive game is yet to be seen, but things look good so far.

Fantasmo

Can somebody repost the links for the "Wednesday" streams, or to the posts that have them, and any others?

Can't go online and I've pretty much completed Single Player.

Nyx

Have to say that I'm really impressed with the music and sound effects, they really add a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

R2D4

Banned
So the majority of players online are Noob or Scorpion? I think I've faced one Ermac, one Sub Zero and one Katana. The rest of have been those two out of 15 some odd matches.

Struct09

R2D4 said:
So the majority of players online are Noob or Scorpion? I think I've faced one Ermac, one Sub Zero and one Katana. The rest of have been those two out of 15 some odd matches.

Scorpion and Smoke are the most common that I run into. I make it a point not to pick those two - I stick to Kitana, Kung Lao, and Ermac.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
R2D4 said:
Scorpion is so easy to play as. There's even a rule in my house where I'm not allowed to play as him because I can get flawless victories during a 2vs2 match with him.

R2D4

Banned
IPoopStandingUp said:
Scorpion is so easy to play as. There's even a rule in my house where I'm not allowed to play as him because I can get flawless victories during a 2vs2 match with him.

Maybe I should start playing as him. Ha. Getting my ass handed to me as Sub Zero or Nightwolf. This shitty 360 pad isn't helping.

R2D4 said:
Maybe I should start playing as him. Ha. Getting my ass handed to me as Sub Zero or Nightwolf. This shitty 360 pad isn't helping.

Maybe things are different at the higher skill levels but at the low to mid levels I think Sub Zero is probably one of the worst characters. Most of his special moves take forever to come out, especially when compared to other characters.

Dinokill

Any hope of on-line getting better the next couple of weeks? I remember the first two weeks of MvsC 3 being a complete clusterfuck on PSN. Now the online play is smooth as hell.

Dinokill said:
Any hope of on-line getting better the next couple of weeks? I remember the first two weeks of MvsC 3 being a complete clusterfuck on PSN. Now the online play is smooth as hell.
Did they patch it or what? How did it get better?

Online lag is still my chief concern about this game, and it's killing me not being able to know if it's getting any better because stupid PSN is down.

Bleepey

I hate BF motions, i keep accidently doing hcf motions when not wanted so my move often does not come out. They are dumb and i hate them.

REV 09

depths20XX said:
Is it the same girl thats chained up on the arena stage next to Shao Kahn?
If you play ladder as Kitana then Tanya (yellow) is chained in place of Kitana on the right. Probably confirms her as a dlc character.

I had no idea that you could change the color of the alternate costumes. I'm at work right now so I can't test, but can you do that with all alts? And does it let you choose or is there just one alternate color?

i.e. you can change Johnny Cage's tux to black if you choose his alt with the start button.

The Lamonster said:
I had no idea that you could change the color of the alternate costumes. I'm at work right now so I can't test, but can you do that with all alts? And does it let you choose or is there just one alternate color?

i.e. you can change Johnny Cage's tux to black if you choose his alt with the start button.

theres just one alternate colour... seems to work with most costumes. Noob's is the only one where I can't notice a difference.

y2dvd

A friend brought the game over yesterday. It doesn't feel like the smoothest fighter but then again MK never did. The combo system is pretty fun to figure out. It seems like a good enough game to play casually so I will probably pick up my own copy now. Any tier-list yet? Learning Johnny Cage.

Casval said:
I think the only thing that makes this game casual is the amount of single-player content it has (which all MK games have).

In terms of the fighting system, I'd take any Capcom game over this in terms of how easy it is to get into. The MK combo system is absolutely horrible; canned combos that you have to input before the first hit in the chain finishes, seemingly arbitrary special attack inputs (ie, Scorpion's teleport punch using a kick button), and just the pure amount of memorization required. Games like Soul Calibur do canned combos right because they encompass a LOT of possible inputs, such that even the most inexperienced masher can pull of something cool, but experienced players are still able to beat them easily due to a mastery of the system. In MK, you can literally mash as much as you want but you won't do anything impressive; in fact, you probably won't do anything at all. MK is basically a huge memorization fest; I'm having a MUCH harder time learning even a single character in MK than I had learning maybe 3 or 4 characters at a casual level in SF4.

That said, this game provides some of the most entertaining matches between experienced players. It's an absolute joy to watch some of the tourney streams posted in this thread. I just wish they made the fighting system and movelists much more intuitive.

This is what rubbed me the wrong way when I played the demo. I got so used to how Tekken/VF/and SF work that going back to MK was too jarring. I'm not a fan of canned combos, but I don't mind having a couple of them. But I rather have a system that will let me make my own. That is why I love Tekken so much. However, I will play MK1-3 in a heartbeat.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
thehillissilent said:
This is what rubbed me the wrong way when I played the demo. I got so used to how Tekken/VF/and SF work that going back to MK was too jarring. I'm not a fan of canned combos, but I don't mind having a couple of them. But I rather have a system that will let me make my own. That is why I love Tekken so much. However, I will play MK1-3 in a heartbeat.
The combo system seems pretty open to me especially once you get someone into the air.

I'm sure this has been answered already but how come there's barely any gore or profanity in the story mode? Were they originally targeting a T rating and changed it later?

Also, I gotta try out Liu Kang some more. I wonder how hard that Alex Valle bullshit is to do.

MThanded

Parallax Scroll said:
I'm sure this has been answered already but how come there's barely any gore or profanity in the story mode? Were they originally targeting a T rating and changed it later?

Also, I gotta try out Liu Kang some more. I wonder how hard that Alex Valle bullshit is to do.
Very easy

Parallax Scroll said:

have you finished story mode?

dat Ermac. That was enough gore for one game for me.

MThanded

It is sort of ridiculous that the netcode is bad and for you to play online after buying a used copy you have to pay ten dollars.

If you are going to make people pay to play online your netcode better be worth it.
/rant

infinityBCRT said:

I forgot what happened?

MThanded said:
It is sort of ridiculous that the netcode is bad and for you to play online after buying a used copy you have to pay ten dollars.

If you are going to make people pay to play online your netcode better be worth it.
/rant
Totally agree. I'd rather them focus on fixing online before giving us DLC.

sleepykyo

infinityBCRT said:

I think I'm near the end. I have to
do an endurance round as Raiden. Not sure how many guys in a row I have to beat.

malfcn

I am getting saltier by the match. Random stuff hits, while my timed moves whiff for no reason. Why are certain things safe? Like Scorpion can do his teleport and it will not be punishable. A lot of inconsistencies like that make me angry.

"Try to delay a string or cancel and see what happens. Yeah the game will let you juggle with virtually anything but in terms of delaying strings and hit confirms not so much."

Depends on the string. For example, with Ermac's b+1, 1, 4, after I do the string, I have quite a large window where I can hitconfirm and input a special.

"Why are certain things safe? Like Scorpion can do his teleport and it will not be punishable"

Don't crouchblock his teleport. If you block it standing, he will pop up. Realistically, you can just uppercut it even if you're crouch blocking.

Tokubetsu said:
I miss the occasional "outstanding" in MK3.
Didn't MK2 have that as well? Or did it only have excellent/superb/toasty?

I can't believe I bought the stupid guide for fatality codes that don't even work. At least Prima's going to be mailing out corrected fatality sheets if you request one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom