• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
If it's a long cape it's probably Daegon, yeah. It's best not to know who he is

But tbh it could be anyone cause it's random.

fernoca

Anticitizen One said:
Oh hmm I never played MK:A. I don't think its reiko either because you see like a long robe or cape moving when hes swinging around
Daegon.
The twin brother of Taven. The story in Armageddon was around those 2 edenian brothers and how they were put to sleep, to be awaken when Blaze made the call for Armageddon. In the story-mode it reveals that Daegon was awaken centuries earlier because of a mistake, which caused him to become evil.

So this game confirms that he was around the events of the first game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For how much effort they put into the story mode its really disappointing that they couldn't let you pause in the middle of a cut scene. I got an important phone call right after winning the Scorpion/Sub Zero fight and had to miss the entire scene. I can't imagine how it could be technically unfeasible to allow a simple pause in this day and age.

Big One

Banned
@ the cameo thing. I decided to compile a list together related to them, but it might be incomplete

Cameo models:
Kenshi
Daegon
Sareena
Reiko
Frost
Skarlet
Tanya
Kira
Li Mei
Rain
Meat
Hotaru
Bo Rai Cho
Shujinko
Motaro
Shinnok

Cameo in endings:
Havik
Fujin
Great Kung Lao

Mentioned by Boon:
Cyber Smoke

Potential DLC, perhaps? Funnily enough, I also think I might've saw Hsu Hao's pants in the intro of the story mode...

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Sblargh said:

It's pretty stupid, but it's not like it's cancelling recovery frames so I'm not sure it's game breaking exactly. Cage is still free if he whiffs his xray. It might be kinda broken with Smoke's ex shake though.

They should still patch it, but it doesn't seem as bad as, say, the MVC3 Zero glitch. Not hating on MVC3 or anything 'cause I like that game, just a point of reference.

GhostRidah said:
Trying to learn sub zero, what do you guys do when up against a with fast teleports like Noob, Raiden, Smoke?
Block and try to do moves which do not take long to pull off otherwise they will telepunch you, sub zero is really slow and terrible in this game unless in your face.

bf4 slide is handy to cover screen distance to get close, also lets you slide under most projectiles.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sblargh said:
61vx3rqrl8uy7.gif

Arde5643

Diablohead said:
Block and try to do moves which do not take long to pull off otherwise they will telepunch you, sub zero is really slow and terrible in this game unless in your face.

bf4 slide is handy to cover screen distance to get close, also lets you slide under most projectiles.
This is based on advice from Tom Brady:

With sub zero, he has a real easy mind game to go with really...

For most everything, start with 2,2 strings. If it's blocked, end with 4 (2,2,4) which is safe since it puts Sub Zero out of any harm's way.

If it hits, do ice ball - so 2,2,ice ball for a standard BnB combo of 30%.

Remember that 2,2 is also Sub Zero's AA besides uppercut (kinda slow though) and ice clone.
If opponent is in the air, you can react with 2,2 and there's nothing they can do against it.
If you AA with 2,2 you also get a free ice ball for another BnB combo.

2,2 can't be crouched as well so it's safe to spam 2,2,4.
2,2 will still jail the opponent on block string even if the 1st one whiffs since the second hit has quite a good range.

If anyone is stupid enough to crouch block against sub, use throws, f+4 or b+2 to open them up.
f+4 is slow but safe on block and has to be blocked high. On hit you get an easy hit confirm to ice ball.
b+2 can be charged to be unblockable but it's too obvious.

If they're smart and start blocking high, Sub's sweep (b+3) is safe to throw out since it's also safe on block.

Once they're cornered, ice clone shenanigans can be really nasty - since this means you get a free pressure using 2,2,4 / sweep / f+4 / b+2 / throws or jump attacks.

Think of sub zero as an aggressive Guile from SF with using ice clone and 2,2 strings as his sonic boom and somersault. Remember that with 2,2 no one can jump at you at all if you time it right like any AA normal.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lost Fragment said:
It's pretty stupid, but it's not like it's cancelling recovery frames so I'm not sure it's game breaking exactly. Cage is still free if he whiffs his xray. It might be kinda broken with Smoke's ex shake though.

They should still patch it, but it doesn't seem as bad as, say, the MVC3 Zero glitch. Not hating on MVC3 or anything 'cause I like that game, just a point of reference.
Unlike the Zero glitch, which was really only good for trolling, this glitch could help the abusers win matches.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lost Fragment said:
Only if you don't know how to punish parries.

Yea but if you have Johnny Cage crouch blocking and you hit him with an overhead he gets a free X-Ray, hell you hit him with anything that isn't a projectile and he gets a free X-Ray.

But if it only works in training then it's a non issue.

Struct09

An official response regarding multiplayer issues:

Thank you for supporting Mortal Kombat! Due to the overwhelmingly positive reception to the game, Mortal Kombat has millions of online matches being initiated worldwide every day, and we have run into some unanticipated technical issues. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and NetherRealm Studios are aware of the issues with the online gameplay – specifically with "King of the Hill" and Ranked 1 v. 1 matches - and we want to assure our fans that we are focused on resolving online issues ASAP. We have added a “Technical Issues” section to our forum so please be sure to let us know what issues you are having so we can address those as soon as possible. Users will begin seeing improvements in online play over the course of the next two weeks. In the meantime please note that none of this will impact the single-player or offline multiplayer experience, and we greatly appreciate your patience!

http://boards.themortalkombat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11641

but how does overwealming players mean my 1v1 is laggy as shit to someone down the road? :/ long as they can fix or adjust it for the better.

Enk

makes good threads.
Good matches once again, Lyte. It's been kinda fun trying to flind ways around your projectile spam with characters unable to teleport (ala Kitana vs. Baraka). Also I noticed Jade has a super quick recovery after her dash kick attack. Anyway to punish that?

Khezu

My biggest complaint against the game is the overuse of the ninja loin cloths, so many characters have it, some who really shouldn't, like kabal, dude should have just had a trench coat, and old shang tsung, who should just wear a robe.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Good to see they're addressing it. Though I have a feeling that it'll mostly be fixes to matchmaking. I hope they improve latency in-game too, but it doesn't seem like that would be so simple to fix that it would only take a few weeks. But I'm no netcode uber-expert so hopefully I'm wrong here.

I never noticed before, but when I was playing Scorpion earlier, I could see his locked fatality as ???? even though I don't have his classic costume... is that normal?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
corrosivefrost said:
I never noticed before, but when I was playing Scorpion earlier, I could see his locked fatality as ???? even though I don't have his classic costume... is that normal?

You sure you aren't seeing the stage fatality or babality slots?

Sinatar said:
You sure you aren't seeing the stage fatality or babality slots?

Yup. My OCD made me do EVERY finisher so there would be no ?????? in the lists.

There were 5.
???? was the 3rd one down.

Fatality 1
Fatality 2
?????????
Stage Fatality
Babality

It's like that for Reptile, but since I have the classic skin, I've used the 3rd fatality and it's unlocked.

Big One

Banned
Oh that's just his classic fatality, don't think it can be done at the moment but some people are able to do it with the classic costumes. Something something updates caused some copies to not access the fatalities.

Big One said:
Oh that's just his classic fatality, don't think it can be done at the moment but some people are able to do it with the classic costumes. Something something updates caused some copies to not access the fatalities.

I'm just weirded out by the fact that it's showing up in my lists now.
I don't think Sub-Zero has a 3rd entry even though he does have a classic costume.

Unicorn

In story mode
Right before Ermac rips Jax's arms off, Sub Zero is there and is freezing someone in ice.. who is he freezing? there's never a clear shot, but towards the end of the scene you can see in the background that they're deepfrozen.

Big One said:
Just something to share that I found on deviantart, this dude has some really fantastic redesigns of various MK characters: http://scorpionblaze.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0

gQN5k.jpg

Actually gave Tanya a really awesome look imo
I saw that a couple days ago and forgot to post it. Really, really cool shit. I love what he did with Jade, Kenshi and how he incorporated Sonya's jazzercize outfit. His style kind of reminds me of Jim Lee's.

Unicorn said:
In story mode
Right before Ermac rips Jax's arms off, Sub Zero is there and is freezing someone in ice.. who is he freezing? there's never a clear shot, but towards the end of the scene you can see in the background that they're deepfrozen.
The guys who are standing in the background of the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom