• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Sinatar said:
Balls don't make a good opener, what you wanna do is 1, 2, 2, fast ball, 3, 2, 1, slow ball, 3, 2, 1, slide. That's his B&B. Or at least the best one I've been able to find that's easily doable.

I'm going from memory there, the 3, 2, 1's might be 3, 1, 2's.
I assume 1 means FP and 2 means BP and 3 means FK? ;)
I could by no means do FP, BP, BP, Ball yesterday...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
derFeef said:
I assume 1 means FP and 2 means BP and 3 means FK? ;)
I could by no means do FP, BP, BP, Ball yesterday...

Make sure you do fast ball (which is the kick one), I can never get 1, 2, 2 to combo into slow ball.

alstein

Papercuts said:
I'm more curious about whether this will get patched out, unless Netherrealm really did know about this already despite saying otherwise.

I doubt those will unless they're truly game-breaking. I'm not shocked these are in the game, though I suspect they won't be used much at tourney level unless there's a real damage boost.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So I was messing around with the record function earlier and I noticed something interesting. Record a character punching another character and play it back. Then play it back again, only this time mash on back/forward dash after you get hit. For some reason the dashes register (though not any other time). So obviously, the code is there to allow you to move around while something is being played back, and I'm guessing the record/playback function is supposed to be exactly what you would expect it to be, but it shipped non-functional. No idea how something like that would make it through Q&A though. They must've used the same Q&A people that Capcom did for MVC3.

Xater

Finally got my game today and went straight into story mode. I just tried the Johnny Cage infinite X-Ray thing and it definitely also works here. They really need to patch that.

orion434

junkster said:
If you fully lose the fight and choose Retry as opposed to Retry during the fight, the match eventually becomes easier after around 10 losses. You'll get health between the opponents and they get hit more. I think it gets even easier from there too.

Regardless, with Mileena your approach should be to save your bar for XRay, and mixup the fight with a couple strategies:

1) crossover jumping punch into uppercut while she's walking toward you
2) If she's a bit father away, sweep her multiple times until she falls and keep sweeping. You can also use this if she blocks one of your aggressive attempts. Then move back to tip 1
3) Don't try to throw her because she often gets priority
4) If tip 1 is failing, keep your finger next to block if she's far, hold onto it when she's close and wait for her to botch rolls and teleport kicks. You have to wait a split second to throw your spear after the roll because when she bounces off you she goes above the spear. If you wait a split second you can catch her
5) Teleport into a combo. Use this sparingly as you can get severely punished
6) XRay when she starts a move once you get it, even if you get hurt your Xray will connect

The AI is smart at this level so you can't abuse just one technique or you'll get punished, but I found that once the difficulty drops, if you mixup the techniques she'll randomly fall for them. Your bread and butter is jumping punch into uppercut, punishing her specials with Spear combos, sweeping Xray, and random teleports.

If you have enough health when you reach Shao, it's just a matter of creating distance, and waiting until he does a move, and following up with a teleport/spear combo. If he's close do the jumping punch, uppercut combo.

This fight was much easier than 251 to be honest.

I agree, Challenge 251 was such a pain in the ass... Shang Tsung vs Shao Kahn is a worse match-up, but cheeze previals. Forward Skull after hammer... had to be so careful and this took me over 30 mins to complete... at the last second I threw a skull and he threw his hammer and mine connected first... but I was stunned... took about 3 seconds to register, but the "Challenge 251 Success" didn't appear onscreen, but it shows complete in the tower itself.

I may try to learn Stryker just so I can bullet-stun Shao Kahn in Challenge 300... I played Challenge 269... I forget the number, the one with 3 Shoa Kahn and I just bullet-spammed and I wasn't hit once. It stops his spear animation and it creates distance when blocked, you just have to watch for the hammer, but you have plenty of time to react.

RS4-

zlatko said:
Just saw the parry glitch over on SRK and died laughing that something that big made it through bug testing. I think nows the time you Johnny Cage players should be getting online to rack up free wins. :p

TIme to throw a fireball

edit - nm about throwing them if they only have to hold down to keep it activated.

dk_

dk_ said:
Sorry, if this has been answered before:

Here in Germany you can't activate the MP pass with your local account. So if I use an alternative account (Austria, UK, etc.), can I play with my German one? (360/PS3) Do you activate only accounts or the whole console?
Anyone?

dk_ said:

On PS3, most stuff can be activated on five different PS3 systems. The point is, content gets unlocked for the console. So yes, on PS you can activate it with one account and play it on another account.

Fantasmo

rayner said:
I agree, Challenge 251 was such a pain in the ass... Shang Tsung vs Shao Kahn is a worse match-up, but cheeze previals. Forward Skull after hammer... had to be so careful and this took me over 30 mins to complete... at the last second I threw a skull and he threw his hammer and mine connected first... but I was stunned... took about 3 seconds to register, but the "Challenge 251 Success" didn't appear onscreen, but it shows complete in the tower itself.

I may try to learn Stryker just so I can bullet-stun Shao Kahn in Challenge 300... I played Challenge 269... I forget the number, the one with 3 Shoa Kahn and I just bullet-spammed and I wasn't hit once. It stops his spear animation and it creates distance when blocked, you just have to watch for the hammer, but you have plenty of time to react.

By all means, try someone else if that suits you better. I happen to like Scorpion because if you do a crossover jumping punch and they lunge forward out of range, you can quickly spear them and get your attack in. Plus it puts you at a good range to move forward and do another crossup.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, Challenge Tower decided to freeze as it was saving my progress on Challenge 250.

All Challenge Tower progress, 100% story, all costumes, fatalities, Krypt progress, and about 250,000 koins... everything wiped.

Fucking bullshit.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
GuardianE said:
So, Challenge Tower decided to freeze as it was saving my progress on Challenge 250.

All Challenge Tower progress, 100% story, all costumes, fatalities, Krypt progress, and about 250,000 koins... everything wiped.

Fucking bullshit.

ouch

LowParry

GuardianE said:

Fucking bullshit.

Test your might. :(

GuardianE said:

Fucking bullshit.
Wow, which version?

GuardianE said:

Fucking bullshit.
I am sorry for your loss. =(

grendelrt

GuardianE said:

Fucking bullshit.

Ugh, this is why I have been updating my save to PSN Cloud after long session (well until PSN went down). That sucks horrendously.

grendelrt said:
Ugh, this is why I have been updating my save to PSN Cloud after long session (well until PSN went down). That sucks horrendously.
Yeah I'm going to make a backup copy of my save onto a memory unit or something now, just to be safe.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The Lamonster said:
Wow, which version?

360 version. Mortal Kombat has frozen a few times since I started on launch day. I haven't had any other games freeze during that span.

That really suckerpunches the motivation out of me to do anything in this game anymore. Especially knowing I can't skip any Story mode cutscenes... I guess I could just run through it on Easy to something. The big thing is the Challenge Tower, because it's just a long grind that's not even that much fun. *sigh* This sucks. :(

notworksafe

AnEternalEnigma said:
I think the Deadly Alliance Krypt had an entire edition of the MK comic book in it spread out over a couple of coffins. I thought that was awesome.
Did it? It's been long enough that I don't properly remember. I'm just glad that there is only one koin kolor. Having to get like 5 different kinds of koins sucked ass.

Not to mention Deception's Krypt, which is mostly Krypt Keys that you'd having to find while hidden around the world in the single player.

grendelrt said:
If you are PS+ member just go to your saves and hit Triangle, copy, then upload it to PSN.
So Cloud is only available to PS+? Lame.

Like I'd give Sony any money for their online services hahahaha

TheExodu5

Banned
Every time I look at videos for this game, the animations just seem completely wrong. The characters never even seem to connect when they're hitting each other.

notworksafe said:
Did it? It's been long enough that I don't properly remember. I'm just glad that there is only one koin kolor. Having to get like 5 different kinds of koins sucked ass.

Not to mention Deception's Krypt, which is mostly Krypt Keys that you'd having to find while hidden around the world in the single player.
The DA Krypt was amazing. I still don't know why NRS decided to leave video content out of the MK9 Krypt. I used to love all those character trailers, skits, retrospectives and behind-the-scenes videos.

sleepykyo

MThanded said:
I heard that ultradavid and aris were hating on the mk during the matches last night.

He ranked the game number 3 after ST and SSF4, not sure that really qualifies as hate. Aris said the game has a lot of funky, but Aris says mean things about everybody.

edit: Oh and button checks made the MK tournament take forvever was repeated on the stream.

GABDEG

I freaking love this game. The last personal MK experience was MK2 on the SNES, so seeing all these characters again set off some "AHA!" moments for me.
Didn't know anything going in so stuff like the challenge tower was a great surprise.

Only gripe: Inconsistent audio levels. But maybe they can patch that.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
sleepykyo said:
He ranked the game number 3 after ST and SSF4, not sure that really qualifies as hate. Aris said the game has a lot of funky, but Aris says mean things about everybody.

edit: Oh and button checks made the MK tournament take forvever was repeated on the stream.
oh ok thanks for the clarification.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
The DA Krypt was amazing. I still don't know why NRS decided to leave video content out of the MK9 Krypt. I used to love all those character trailers, skits, retrospectives and behind-the-scenes videos.
I'm just glad they worked on making the game play well. If I want skits or a history of MK I'll boot up DA/Deception or YouTube. With the previous games, the Krypt stuff (and Puzzle Kombat) was better than the main game for the most part. I'm glad it's been reversed now.

EDIT: Though Puzzle Kombat would have been an awesome addition, now that I think about it.

sleepykyo

Well there was a that is "so 90s" joke between Aris and Ultradavid. Once again, it's Aris though. Sanchez is the only person that brought up MK9 being at Evo and that was throwaway line.

GuardianE said:
360 version. Mortal Kombat has frozen a few times since I started on launch day. I haven't had any other games freeze during that span.

That really suckerpunches the motivation out of me to do anything in this game anymore. Especially knowing I can't skip any Story mode cutscenes... I guess I could just run through it on Easy to something. The big thing is the Challenge Tower, because it's just a long grind that's not even that much fun. *sigh* This sucks. :(
Take a few days off is my advice. I know it's still really bad but maybe some time off will get you energized again.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
notworksafe said:
I'm just glad they worked on making the game play well. If I want skits or a history of MK I'll boot up DA/Deception or YouTube. With the previous games, the Krypt stuff (and Puzzle Kombat) was better than the main game for the most part. I'm glad it's been reversed now.

EDIT: Though Puzzle Kombat would have been an awesome addition, now that I think about it.
Back then we spent more time playing puzzle combat than fighting in the game.

notworksafe

MThanded said:
Back then we spent more time playing puzzle combat than fighting in the game.
Well when the choice is between Puzzle Kombat and Deception I don't blame you. Though Deception was my favorite of the 3D MKs, it still wasn't super awesome. When it comes to the 3D games, I played the story mode and then put them away to kollect dust.

@Lamonster Agreed. Motor Kombat was easily the best part of Armageddon.

notworksafe said:
Well when the choice is between Puzzle Kombat and Deception I don't blame you. Though Deception was my favorite of the 3D MKs, it still wasn't super awesome. When it comes to the 3D games, I played the story mode and then put them away to kollect dust.

@Lamonster Agreed. Motor Kombat was easily the best part of Armageddon.
My favorite part of that game was the Kreate-a-Fighter mode. I made so many damn characters hahaha

notworksafe

Was MKA the one with Kreate a Fatality? Ugh that was lame. Hara-Kiri's were hilarious and an awesome way to annoy friends. Hara-Kiri and Mercy should totally be put back into the game.

2 questions about multiplayer:

1. Local- you can have 2 players on a tag team against the CPU right?

2. Online- what options are there for playing with more than 2 people? Does the King of the Hill mode work in a private match type deal?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom