• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Teknopathetic said:
YESSSSS, OPEN AND CLOSED STANCE COMBOS!

Not sarcastic at all, I'm really curious as to how many of those are in the game.

I'm more curious about whether this will get patched out, unless Netherrealm really did know about this already despite saying otherwise.

grendelrt said:
Is anyone playing this in 3D? Curious how it looks, does it maintain 60FPS?

The 3D alright, but nothing special. It only applies to the background; the characters are 2D. The depth in the background is pretty nice, but you don't really notice it because you're too focused on the fighting in the foreground. As far as I can tell, the 3D doesn't cause a hit to the framerate.

MontTrain

Banned
Hey guys. Sorry if it's been mentioned a million times before but with the online pass can you play against people from other regions or is the online pass region coded. IE. A friend with a US copy vs a UK copy.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
thepotatoman said:
For how much effort they put into the story mode its really disappointing that they couldn't let you pause in the middle of a cut scene. I got an important phone call right after winning the Scorpion/Sub Zero fight and had to miss the entire scene. I can't imagine how it could be technically unfeasible to allow a simple pause in this day and age.

if you quit the game after the cutscene and start it up again itll play the last cutscene before itll let you continue the story

fernoca

MontTrain said:
Hey guys. Sorry if it's been mentioned a million times before but with the online pass can you play against people from other regions or is the online pass region coded. IE. A friend with a US copy vs a UK copy.
Seems to be region-locked, for match-making (i.e. playing with randoms). For people in your friends list; is not.

Though that's more related to netcode, lag and a more balanced experience, rather than because of the online pass. The online pass doesn't dictate region-locks...at the moment.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
ArachosiA 78 said:
The 3D alright, but nothing special. It only applies to the background; the characters are 2D. The depth in the background is pretty nice, but you don't really notice it because you're too focused on the fighting in the foreground. As far as I can tell, the 3D doesn't cause a hit to the framerate.

I would offer a dissenting view and say that the 3D is awesome. It's completely smooth, the image quality does not suffer at all. The depth is great, the characters _are_ in 3D as you can clearly tell when the camera is close to them in the beginning. It's just not obvious when you are far away. The HUD has a nice overlay feeling and everything is like you're looking out a window. I play Mortal Kombat in 3D only, each time I play it without 3D I feel like I am missing that extra goodness.

I highly recommend playing this game in 3D. It just feels great. Adds nothing to the gameplay, but visually looks really good. I do think it depends on the size of your screen. I have a 110 inch projected screen. You can also mess with the depth setting in the MK options.

3D looks fantastic in the Uncharted 3 3D trailer (especially towards the end when they show the action bits), and 3D looks amazing in Killzone 3 as well.

MontTrain

Banned
fernoca said:
Seems to be region-locked, for match-making (i.e. playing with randoms). For people in your friends list; is not.

Though that's more related to netcode, lag and a more balanced experience, rather than because of the online pass. The online pass doesn't dictate region-locks...at the moment.

Ah ok cool thanks for the info. All my friends and I are in Australia and they imported a UK copy and I wanted to buy one from Amazon in the US cause it has faster shipping.

Just wanted to know if we could all play against each other

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm glad Aris is supporting MK. I find it more interesting to watch than MVC3, especially high level play which isn't even close to being peaked yet.

Thunderbear said:
I would offer a dissenting view and say that the 3D is awesome. It's completely smooth, the image quality does not suffer at all. The depth is great, the characters _are_ in 3D as you can clearly tell when the camera is close to them in the beginning. It's just not obvious when you are far away. The HUD has a nice overlay feeling and everything is like you're looking out a window. I play Mortal Kombat in 3D only, each time I play it without 3D I feel like I am missing that extra goodness.

I highly recommend playing this game in 3D. It just feels great. Adds nothing to the gameplay, but visually looks really good. I do think it depends on the size of your screen. I have a 110 inch projected screen. You can also mess with the depth setting in the MK options.

3D looks fantastic in the Uncharted 3 3D trailer (especially towards the end when they show the action bits), and 3D looks amazing in Killzone 3 as well.

Actually, the characters are not in 3D. Take off your glasses when you're playing and you'll notice that the backgrounds have the double image thing you get with 3D, while the characters are perfectly clear. They claimed that this was done so that if you're playing with a group of friends then the people who don't have 3D glasses would still be able to easily watch the game while the people who did have 3D glasses would be able to enjoy the added depth to the backgrounds. I'm guessing this is also why the image quality and framerate do not suffer. It was a smart decision on their part, as you don't really notice that the characters are flat, but you still get the 3D backgrounds. There are times where the characters are in 3D (like during the cutscenes and fatalities), but during the actual fighting they are flat.

weepy

I've seen this one player use Cage's special three times in a row to win a match. Is there some exploitable Johnny Cage glitch that hasn't been fixed yet or has the game been hacked?

Xevren

weepy said:
I've seen this one player use Cage's special three times in a row to win a match. Is there some exploitable Johnny Cage glitch that hasn't been fixed yet or has the game been hacked?

If it was his x-ray, there's a glitch out there involving counters.

Carnby

This is the worst Krypt ever. There is not one item that I have unlocked that made me excited, or made it feel like it was worth the effort.

fernoca

MontTrain said:
Ah ok cool thanks for the info. All my friends and I are in Australia and they imported a UK copy and I wanted to buy one from Amazon in the US cause it has faster shipping.

Just wanted to know if we could all play against each other
Guess shouldn't be a problem, a few around here from UK did a few matches with people in the US and vice-versa.

Though in that regard, what I don't know is if you need to redeem an US online pass in an US account, UK-pass on UK account, etc.

jaekwon15 said:
This is the worst Krypt ever. There is not one item that I have unlocked that made me excited, or made it feel like it was worth the effort.

Agreed. Krypt is a total waste of time. You can unlock the outfits by beating Ladder with each character and you can just look up the second Fatalities on the net. What a joke.

Raxus

AnEternalEnigma said:
Agreed. Krypt is a total waste of time. You can unlock the outfits by beating Ladder with each character and you can just look up the second Fatalities on the net. What a joke.
Even worse, pit fatalities, babalities are secrets until you look them up. WTF.

Zeliard

Raxus said:
Even worse, pit fatalities, babalities are secrets until you look them up. WTF.

That was probably done to keep some stuff mysterious like back in the old arcade days, when you learned fatalities and special moves mostly through word of mouth.

notworksafe

jaekwon15 said:
What were you expecting? The Krypt hasn't ever been much more than a place for concept art, alt costumes, and music. I guess Deception had some mocap videos and photos of staff members...nothing too cool.

Edit: MKDA had Cooking With Scorpion in the Krypt. That was pretty cool. Oh, and these were in there too.

derFeef

So I tried to play more Reptile (in Ladder) - he is quite fun, but the harder enemies keep rushing me down, especially Scorpion and Shang. I can't get the balls out to start some combos, almost like Sub Zeros ground freeze, which never works against the AI it seems.
Are the balls supposed to be combo-ed into? I can't get it to work somehow :/

Xevren

Throwing projectiles out against the AI will usually end up with you getting punished. For some reason they act brain dead if you use an EX slow ball though. Against the AI it's best to just combo into them.

Glass Joe

notworksafe said:
What were you expecting? The Krypt hasn't ever been much more than a place for concept art, alt costumes, and music. I guess Deception had some mocap videos and photos of staff members...nothing too cool.

Edit: MKDA had Cooking With Scorpion in the Krypt. That was pretty cool. Oh, and these were in there too.

Yeah I think we were expecting silly stuff like that. A documentary or two. References to past Mortal Kombats... The Deadly Alliance krypt (when they introduced the concept) was amazing compared to MK9.

I think the Deadly Alliance Krypt had an entire edition of the MK comic book in it spread out over a couple of coffins. I thought that was awesome.

FUCK. Everytime I try to play anything on my 360 now, the disc drive starts to open and close by itself (which causes the game to restart). There has been many frustrating times where I was about to finish someone's ladder mode and then the console restarted.

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I'm gonna perform a fatality on someone.

GlamFM

Banned
I think I´m gonna get this one too. Looked so much fun on the Giantbomb tournament.
Is there any reason besides Kratos why I should get the PS3 version?

GlamFM said:
I think I´m gonna get this one too. Looked so much fun on the Giantbomb tournament.
Which version do your friends play?
Do you like the 360 pad or the PS3 pad? Or do you have a stick for a particular system?
Does online play matter to you at all (PSN being down, derp)?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
derFeef said:
So I tried to play more Reptile (in Ladder) - he is quite fun, but the harder enemies keep rushing me down, especially Scorpion and Shang. I can't get the balls out to start some combos, almost like Sub Zeros ground freeze, which never works against the AI it seems.
Are the balls supposed to be combo-ed into? I can't get it to work somehow :/

Balls don't make a good opener, what you wanna do is 1, 2, 2, fast ball, 3, 2, 1, slow ball, 3, 2, 1, slide. That's his B&B. Or at least the best one I've been able to find that's easily doable.

I'm going from memory there, the 3, 2, 1's might be 3, 1, 2's.

Glass Joe

GlamFM said:

The PS pad is likely better for fighters of this nature. I'm a 360 owner and am more than happy though, so you can't really go wrong with either.

zlatko

Banned
Just saw the parry glitch over on SRK and died laughing that something that big made it through bug testing. I think nows the time you Johnny Cage players should be getting online to rack up free wins. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom