• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Nice! Would have preferred Killer Adventures of Kross Kounter but this also works.

Hex said:
Details?
I saw this literally right when I was about to hit send on my order on Amazon.
$40 on discount starting Sunday. $10 more off with in-store coupon in the store magazine. Amazon will probably price match the $40 sale.

Hex

Banned
notworksafe said:
Nice! Would have preferred Killer Adventures of Kross Kounter but this also works.

$40 on discount starting Sunday. $10 more off with in-store coupon in the store magazine. Amazon will probably price match the $40 sale.
Guess I will wait, thanks!

Aske

I wish we could permanently enable a second chance mode for failed fatalities in the options menu. Great way to bring some urgency to the concept of finishing an opponent.

Aske said:
I wish we could permanently enable a second chance mode for failed fatalities in the options menu. Great way to bring some urgency to the concept of finishing an opponent.
If playing local versus, make a "Punch on failed Fatality" rule.

That'll add even more urgency.

notworksafe

We had a "for fun" tourney that required a shot or beer chug on failed fatality. That was fun, especially because they became harder the more you messed up. :p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Criminal Upper said:
The Inkredible Adventures of Gooteck's and Mike Ross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy3vPHOF9kw&feature=player_embedded

In my opinion, this was painful to watch. Just 27 minutes of trolling MK because both players are still salty it's gonna be at EVO.
What? They seemed to be having a lot of fun. We must have seen to different videos.

Compaints about the netcode are probably more than legitimate.

Edit: Where did they complain about it being at EVO? I must have missed it.

MThanded said:
What? They seemed to be having a lot of fun. We must have seen to different videos.

I've watched plently of Goo and Mike Ross before, trust me.

Just spamming Kano's knife near the end of the video, and their opponent keeps getting hit.

Gootecks: 'Yeeeahh....that's Mortal Kombat."

These series of shows that they do is a lot better when they take the time to at least learn the basics of the game.

MThanded

Criminal Upper said:

Just spamming Kano's knife near the end of the video, and their opponent keeps getting hit.

These series of shows that they do is a lot better when they take the time to at least learn the basics of the game.
They just started playing the damn game though. I think you were looking for something to be inflammatory about.

They are both going to the pdp tournament too. They are not hating on MK IMO.

Criminal Upper said:

But its true though.

MThanded said:
They just started playing the damn game though. I think you were looking for something to be inflammatory about.

They are both going to the pdp tournament too. They are not hating on MK IMO.

Well, at the very least, I hope they practice the game in their spare time, and if they continue the series, they'll get better. It just puts the game in a bad light when you play with absolutely no idea or understanding of what you're doing. And it doesn't make the game look very fun. That's all.

And I didn't catch the last cross counter, unfortunately, so thanks for the info.

MThanded

Criminal Upper said:
Well, at the very least, I hope they practice the game in their spare time, and if they continue the series, they'll get better. It just puts the game in a bad light when you play with absolutely no idea or understanding of what you're doing. And it doesn't make the game look very fun. That's all.

And I didn't catch the last cross counter, unfortunately, so thanks for the info.
If your opponent cant block projectiles you rightfully abuse it in any game.

Them playing this on their youtube channel will bring a lot of other players to be interested in the game.

MThanded said:
Mike ross was hitting 26% kano combos. He doesn't know the basics?

It's just, when I looked at the WNF stream, and I see Valle and Combofiend doing tons of crazy stuff and then I watch this...I dunno, it just seems kinda lame.

MThanded

Criminal Upper said:
It's just, when I looked at the WNF stream, and I see Valle and Combofiend doing tons of crazy stuff and then I watch this...I dunno, it just seems kinda lame.
The whole point of their "adventures" show is to level up their play. Same thing with the marvelous adventures show. There was less barrier to entry for mvc3 because its a capcom game but they still were actively leveling up during each episode.

It's a zero to hero type of thing.

Description
You asked for it! Lifelong Street Fighter players Gootecks and Mike Ross attempt to konquer the world of Mortal Kombat for the first time! Thanks to MK's 2v2 mode, the dangerous duo can finally form the treacherous tag team they've been dreaming of! Watch as they deal with new characters, a new fighting system, and netkode fail! Also, a FATALITY!
They are not claiming to be high level.

Hey, I'll give any future episodes a chance, and I hope they get better. I just didn't find this one all that entertaining, plus it was hella long, but I guess that's not their fault when their opponents keep disconnecting.

notworksafe said:
Both Gootecks and Mike Ross are going to the $21K tourney, right? I think I remember hearing that in a recent Kross Kounter.
They registered at least. I'm sure they'll go though. Makes for good show content :)

Vire

Is there any word when/if a 360 demo will hit? I'd really like to try this game out. I have some great memories of MK3 as a kid...

Vire

Criminal Upper said:
If you live in the US, Toys R' Us are having a big sale on it.

Hmm alright, good stuff. Maybe I'll trade in a game or two and pick this bad boy up. :)

It's been a long while since I've played a fighting game though hah. I'll probably get massacred online.

fernoca

Gotta give credit for the sometimes funny dialogs in the Challenge Tower...like.. :p

Noob: Let's show you the true way of kombat!
Cage: I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...
Noob: Die!
FIGHT!!

Sub: Your hair's a mess.
Sindel: I know! The heat and humidity around here don't help.
Sub: I can help with that!
FIGHT!!

Sblargh

Banned
You know what is sad? Every day I wake up hoping PSN is back on so I can play this online. When it finally happen, tho, combination of bad netcode and me living on South America will probably make online unplayable anyway.

MThanded

A statement about some of the issues users are experiencing when playing Mortal Kombat 9 online was made by NetherRealm Studios on the official MK forums.

"Thank you for supporting Mortal Kombat! Due to the overwhelmingly positive reception to the game, Mortal Kombat has millions of online matches being initiated worldwide every day, and we have run into some unanticipated technical issues. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and NetherRealm Studios are aware of the issues with the online gameplay – specifically with "King of the Hill" and Ranked 1 v. 1 matches - and we want to assure our fans that we are focused on resolving online issues ASAP. We have added a “Technical Issues” section to our forum so please be sure to let us know what issues you are having so we can address those as soon as possible. Users will begin seeing improvements in online play over the course of the next two weeks. In the meantime please note that none of this will impact the single-player or offline multiplayer experience, and we greatly appreciate your patience!"

http://shoryuken.com/content/mortal-kombat-9-online-issues-being-addressed-4381/

If true that is really good news. Online play fixes incoming within the next 2 weeks.

Now only if psn would come back online...

Kimosabae

Banned
fernoca said:
Gotta give credit for the sometimes funny dialogs in the Challenge Tower...like.. :p

Noob: Let's show you the true way of kombat!
Cage: I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...
Noob: Die!
FIGHT!!

Sub: Your hair's a mess.
Sindel: I know! The heat and humidity around here don't help.
Sub: I can help with that!
FIGHT!!

Is this text or audio?

MThanded

SolidSnakex said:
Doesn't MS require certs for patches? If that's the case then I guess never allowing it to save to your system (as is the case with MK) allows them to bypass that rule. It doesn't seem like there's anything that NRS can do about it.
Sony requires certs for patches too correct? If the variables sit in the save state you can bypass that.

If this can't be fixed at all its a pretty big problem unless they are going to title update the fixes in permanently at a later date. It's going to make running tournaments a big issue.

For people playing this on a TE, is there a preferred button setup? I've been sticking to default, which isn't too bad. My Soul Calibur arcade reflexes sometimes make me want to block with the bottom-left button, but if I put block over there I'd have to move the other buttons around.

I also tried MK on a 360 pad briefly. Fuck that shit.

Edit: That might not be too bad actually:

Code:
X12X
534X

SolidSnakex said:
Doesn't MS require certs for patches? If that's the case then I guess never allowing it to save to your system (as is the case with MK) allows them to bypass that rule. It doesn't seem like there's anything that NRS can do about it.
EA Sports does it in their games (NHL 09 or 10 was the first one to do it) and it lets you save to your system. In fact it even lets you play with the revision of the tuner set that you like.

Tuner-Set-Madden.jpg

MThanded

infinityBCRT said:
EA Sports does it in their games (NHL 09 or 10 was the first one to do it) and it lets you save to your system. In fact it even lets you play with the revision of the tuner set that you like.

Tuner-Set-Madden.jpg
I wonder what NRS was doing that made them think it was working. I'm assuming their intentions were to have variables carry over into offline play.

MThanded said:
I wonder what NRS was doing that made them think it was working. I'm assuming their intentions were to have variables carry over into offline play.

That is their intention. In the description of that video he points out that it's only an issue with the 360 version and that a PS3 user told him that the balance update works even when you're offline. That's why I thought that it might be a cert issue.

Chairhome

SolidSnakex said:
I don't think this is too much of an issue anyways. The time when the balancing would be most important is when you're playing online. It does suck when you're playing locally that the balances aren't effective (if you aren't logged into xbl), but it seems minor.

fernoca

Yeah, the online-patch problem so far it's only on the 360 version. So either it was a bug/glitch that will be fixed on the 360 version; or something else.

Do you know what would have been a cool extra to include in the game? Different arcade ladder endings depending on which costume you had.

For example, all of the preorder Klassic male and female ninja costumes would have an altered ending (MK1 and MK3 respectively) according to the costume they are wearing. The cyborgs would have different endings for their alts.
Mileena would have a different ending for her extra alt
. Etc., etc.

malfcn

Parallax Scroll said:
For people playing this on a TE, is there a preferred button setup? I've been sticking to default, which isn't too bad. My Soul Calibur arcade reflexes sometimes make me want to block with the bottom-left button, but if I put block over there I'd have to move the other buttons around.

I also tried MK on a 360 pad briefly. Fuck that shit.

Edit: That might not be too bad actually:

Code:
X12X
534X

(FP)(BL)(BP)(TH)
(FK)(ST)(BK)(TG)

MThanded

Chairhome said:
I don't think this is too much of an issue anyways. The time when the balancing would be most important is when you're playing online. It does suck when you're playing locally that the balances aren't effective (if you aren't logged into xbl), but it seems minor.
What about tournaments? A lot of venues the systems cant log into xbl because they don't have internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom