• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
malfcn said:
(FP)(BL)(BP)(TH)
(FK)(ST)(BK)(TG)
Yikes there is no way I could play with that...

I can't find a comfortable position so I ended up sticking with the controller. I'd love to play with an arcade stick so I will need to figure it out.

SmokeMaxX

I do
Throw FP BP Tag
Block FK BK Flip Stance

Don't really use all the macros, but they're there if I need them.

EDIT: You probably want your block on your thumb button because it's probably the most easily accessible place to put it.

MThanded said:
Yikes there is no way I could play with that...

I can't find a comfortable position so I ended up sticking with the controller. I'd love to play with an arcade stick so I will need to figure it out.

I had this problem at first too...
Now I use:

FP BP TAG
FK BK BLK

Once I got over the fact that MK games were always:

HP BLK HK
LP (BLK) LK

It felt much better. Xrays are just the bottom 3 buttons. Throws are just like SF4.
My only complaint is using enhanced moves, block is kind of inconveniently placed.

Chairhome

corrosivefrost said:
I had this problem at first too...
Now I use:

FP BP TAG
FK BK BLK

Once I got over the fact that MK games were always:

HP BLK HK
LP (BLK) LK

It felt much better. Xrays are just the bottom 3 buttons. Throws are just like SF4.
My only complaint is using enhanced moves, block is kind of inconveniently placed.
Playing VF and SC has gotten me used to a block button with my thumb. Any reason you don't like having block and tag on the left instead?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
notworksafe said:
Same thing I use. It works well for me. I just needed time to get used to it.

i just switch tag and block because it feels natural to me after playing MvC3. I wish PSN was back online, im dying to play some KOTH with gaffers. Even has me thinkin about buying an xbox with tourney edition of MK for the stick LOL

notworksafe

I've thought about getting a Kombat panel for my TE but having to switch out the joystick and buttons each time I wanted to change between Mahvel and MK would get annoying before long.

SmokeMaxX said:
I do
Throw FP BP Tag
Block FK BK Flip Stance

Don't really use all the macros, but they're there if I need them.

EDIT: You probably want your block on your thumb button because it's probably the most easily accessible place to put it.
Yeah, that's what I've got right now. Seems OK. You hit the bottom 3 to do an x-ray.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah! My copy with the codes finally came! Played 9 hours straight. The game is amazing. Didn't feel like that since Tekken 2. A kid again. Story mode is fucking awesome, a lot less cheesy then people said. Orgasmic for mk fans. I even started to like the cyrax look.

I was afraid of the bosses, but after what people made them to be I must say they are pushovers. Nothing close to the horror that was Trilogy Kahn. That's good. Cool endings too!

My only gripes is that sound volumes are really fucked up. I had to put the tv volume twice as high as I normally do to hear the voices in story mode, when it switched to fights it was way to loud. I almost can't hear the music too.
Another one is that you can't pick the secondary color in single player.
Finally there's sound desync during X-rays sometimes. Some kind of slowdown.

Other then that it's fantastic! Thank You NetherRealm Studios!

DRE Fei

For some reason I can't figure this out. How do you actually roll backwards before getting up after a hard knockdown like a throw?

Chairhome

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah! My copy with the codes finally came! Played 9 hours straight. The game is amazing. Didn't feel like that since Tekken 2. A kid again. Story mode is fucking awesome, a lot less cheesy then people said. Orgasmic for mk fans. I even started to like the cyrax look.

I was afraid of the bosses, but after what people made them to be I must say they are pushovers. Nothing close to the horror that was Trilogy Kahn. That's good. Cool endings too!

My only gripes is that sound volumes are really fucked up. I had to put the tv volume twice as high as I normally do to hear the voices in story mode, when it switched to fights it was way to loud. I almost can't hear the music too.

I think you can press start to pick the secondary color (sometimes its just a slightly different shade of the primary color)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
GrayFoxPL said:

press start choose costume then press start again.

notworksafe

GrayFoxPL said:
The default mix is shitty. Turn music all the way up, ambiance down to half or lower, and effects/voice down 2-4 notches.

Just beat my first Ladder(?) mode and it was on Medium. The one where you fight 10 people in a row. That final boss took me a long time. Almost gave up but I figured I would keep going as each loss I had chipped more and more of his health away. Such a good game. I love that there are old style codes in the game after goofing around in the Krypt.

One question though. Can I not throw Kintaro or the final boss? They always shrugged me off after trying a throw.

fernoca

GrayFoxPL said:
Well, most of the complaints in general are targeted to Story Mode-Kahn...you'll see. :p

And yep, choose a costume by pressing start to get the alt-color.

VGChampion said:
One question though. Can I not throw Kintaro or the final boss? They always shrugged me off after trying a throw.
Can't. ..well, except during X-Rays. :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Weird, I have no issues playing with a block in the middle stick setup. I've been going old-school style and have gotten used to it:

FP BL FK TG
BP TH BK Stance

X-Rays are easy to hit once I got used to moving my thumb over to hit BK, and block being in the center makes it easy for me to do EX moves.

fernoca said:
Well, most of the complaints in general are targeted to Story Mode-Kahn...you'll see. :p

He's still not that hard if you're used to MK bosses. I beat him on my second attempt. Even my first attempt went to a really close third round.

Chairhome said:
Playing VF and SC has gotten me used to a block button with my thumb. Any reason you don't like having block and tag on the left instead?

Probably because I don't block too much and am generally used to aligning my hand with the left hand side of the buttons with index usually over what equates to [] on PSN. I play MK, BlazBlue, SF4 and Tekken like that... so it's just easier to push buttons I use less to the right hand side. :)

GrayFoxPL

notworksafe said:
The default mix is shitty. Turn music all the way up, ambiance down to half or lower, and effects/voice down 2-4 notches.

Won't that make story mode quiet? I'll try that. Right now I've put everything on max.

Oh guys I pushed start every time. Either I'm blind and didn't notice the different shade or something's wrong. Yet I remember different shades in the demo.

notworksafe

Voices/announcer/effects are all tuned higher than music it seems. So even at a lower setting they will be at an appropriate volume.

fernoca

Absoludacrous said:
He's still not that hard if you're used to MK bosses. I beat him on my second attempt. Even my first attempt went to a really close third round.
Oh, I didn't had that many problems with him; just saying to which were most of the complaints targeted. :p

It took my 5 tries, since a friend was here. He played 2 times to try to beat him, and spend the other 3 screaming and cheering and getting a little too excited; which disoriented me. :p

I started with:

(TG)(FP)(BP)(TH)
(BL)(FK)(BK)(SW)

Changed it a bunch of times to other shit and eventually ended back up here. Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter have hardwired me to need my block under my thumb. I'm giving consideration to using the button blanks the VLX came with where throw and switch are mapped (LB and RB) since I never use them.

Blocking with the pinky just feels weird. Plus, I be hitting block all the time to dash cancel. Thumb is the easiest way for me to do that.

notworksafe said:
Voices/announcer/effects are all tuned higher than music it seems. So even at a lower setting they will be at an appropriate volume.
Yeah I pumped up music and ambient to 100, effects down to like 50, and everything else at 75. Works for me.

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I pumped up music and ambient to 100, effects down to like 50, and everything else at 75. Works for me.
I like ambient high as well, except in the Subway stage the ringing phone is annoying and the train is so damn loud haha

G-Fex

Someone asked me what the hell Johnny Cage actually throws, I tried to tell him it's probably not acid even though it's green it's always been green.

I like to think it's ego energy and he's got plenty to go around.

G-Fex said:
Someone asked me what the hell Johnny Cage actually throws, I tried to tell him it's probably not acid even though it's green it's always been green.

I bet it's money.

GrayFoxPL

G-Fex said:

"I'm the special effect"

GrayFoxPL

Sobriquet said:
Fucking Liu Kang vs Shao Kahn. Fuck this. MK noob here. And completely lost. Impending broken controller.

My first go was with Liu Kang, he owns Kahn. Jump over him, combo, jump over, combo etc. His hammer moves have half an hour recovery time. His upward shoulder cannot hit you too if you're jumping over from close distance.

Sub_Level said:
Challenge 251 man....challenge 251.

I'm currently at 251. So far it's taken a lot of tries. This challenge and 239 (hit Kitana 30 times in 30 seconds) are the hardest ones so far. From what I saw of videos, 300 will be easier than 251, simply because I can select who I can play as- I hate playing as Shang Tsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom