• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
notworksafe said:
I've thought about getting a Kombat panel for my TE but having to switch out the joystick and buttons each time I wanted to change between Mahvel and MK would get annoying before long.

Buy another stick and buttons.

This game rocks! Mortal Kombat is back from the dead! How come the demo is still not to download on Xbox Live? Is it because Warner Bros strong realationship with Sony? Anyway, i have decided to buy this game today for 360 and i must say this version is much crisper looking than the PS3 demo. And i also can play as Kratos...

129603.jpg

Lol... :')

ithorien

Mr. E. Yis said:
I'm currently at 251. So far it's taken a lot of tries. This challenge and 239 (hit Kitana 30 times in 30 seconds) are the hardest ones so far. From what I saw of videos, 300 will be easier than 251, simply because I can select who I can play as- I hate playing as Shang Tsung.

Don't remember seeing anything, but is the challenge tower difficulty adjustable?

Arde5643

GANGSTERKILLER said:
This game rocks! Mortal Kombat is back from the dead! How come the demo is still not to download on Xbox Live? Is it because Warner Bros strong realationship with Sony? Anyway, i have decided to buy this game today for 360 and i must say this version is much crisper looking than the PS3 demo. And i also can play as Kratos...

Lol... :')
Well he is actually better than Kratos (Kratos is shit tier btw) in MK9 so you didn't lose much by not getting the PS3 version there.

Sblargh

Banned
xerxesiani said:
How do you
perform babalities on bosses
?When I fight them and defeat them in arcade ladder the fight just ends with no time to do it.

You have to do it on everyone else before him.

TheHakku

ithorien said:
Don't remember seeing anything, but is the challenge tower difficulty adjustable?
No, however, after a number of failed attempts on a challenge, it will seem to become easier.

Wait until you get to the next tilt challenge....

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sinatar said:
I'd switch tag with throw unless you plan on playing a lot of tag matches.
Throw is just a macro. No reason to have a macro mapped IMO when you can just hit two buttons for the same action

derFeef

Sinatar said:
Make sure you do fast ball (which is the kick one), I can never get 1, 2, 2 to combo into slow ball.
I can do it pretty well now up onto the second force ball, that never hits unless the opponent is in corner. I tried switching the 3-2-1 combo, but so far no luck :/

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Been putting in some time with the challenge tower and...it's kind of lame. It seems like a good idea, but...nearly at challenge 100 now and I can only think of 1 or 2 levels that were in any way challenging. Maybe it gets better later on?

Arde5643

MThanded said:
It is dumb that you cant unmap buttons.
There's a lot of things they need to patch to make it more player-friendly and especially, tourney friendly.

There was a good vid in srk by worstgiefever about the non-gameplay stuffs they need to patch out besides online play.

Frankfurt

Banned
So good.

My copy finally arrived and I've played through the MK1 section on normal. Everything* feels so right! So smooth, fast and easy to pick up! I don't think I've got acquainted with controls this fast in any game. Everything is so... Wow. I had read all the praise and expected the game to be great, but this is even better than I could imagine! Can't wait to play the other modes and do some fatalities!

----

* the sound design pales in comparison to the originals - outside of Quan-Chi's voice, nothing really impressed on the sound side of things...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Frankfurt said:
So good.

My copy finally arrived and I've played through the MK1 section on normal. Everything* feels so right! So smooth, fast and easy to pick up! I don't think I've got acquainted with controls this fast in any game. Everything is so... Wow. I had read all the praise and expected the game to be great, but this is even better than I could imagine! Can't wait to play the other modes and do some fatalities!

----

* the sound design pales in comparison to the originals - outside of Quan-Chi's voice, nothing really impressed on the sound side of things...

Quan Chi's voice is probably the best VA in the entire game. So damn good.

MThanded

Add this to the list of grievances
-Let people choose between actions and actual buttons on the movelist .

Since when was Kabal
a police officer? My understanding of MK3 was that he was a member of black dragon who got mutalated during the outworld invasion and then decided to go rogue during the war. When he comes back in Deception im pretty sure he leans more with the villians yet in this game hes one of the good guys. Was this a change made just for this game or was that always the story and I just misunderstood?

notworksafe

Anticitizen One said:
Since when was Kabal
a police officer? My understanding of MK3 was that he was a member of black dragon who got mutalated during the outworld invasion and then decided to go rogue during the war. When he comes back in Deception im pretty sure he leans more with the villians yet in this game hes one of the good guys. Was this a change made just for this game or was that always the story and I just misunderstood?
How far have you played in his story? (Kabal story spoilers)
They made him a cop that is former Black Dragon but gets messed up when fighting with Stryker. He's implied to be Lin Kuei as well by Sheeva but I'm not sure what the deal is with that.
Either way there's a lot of retcons in this story due to the timeline changing and such.

notworksafe said:
How far have you played in his story? (Kabal story spoilers)
They made him a cop that is former Black Dragon but gets messed up when fighting with Stryker. He's implied to be Lin Kuei as well by Sheeva but I'm not sure what the deal is with that.
Either way there's a lot of retcons in this story due to the timeline changing and such.

I beat the game. I was just wondering since it seemed like a big departure from the old games.

Teknopathetic said:
MK9 is not a 1:1 retelling of the original games. Things were altered.

Yea I wasn't too keen on seeing Nightwolf and Quan Chi in the MK1 tournament and that wierd looking reptile.

Good lord, I found my first true block of adversity! Has anyone pulled off the double flawless on Shang Tsung? Yes I switched it to beginner, 30 second round and I know the fatality screen retry trick but this bastard always seems to get the tinniest little cheap jab in to screw me over :( No way does he play like it's beginner either. He's capable of 8-hit combos...beginner should have them sitting around throwing out a punch here or there.

Anyway, anyone have insight? I have the 360 so can't do the Kratos bow thing I've seen around the net. Get so close with Stryker though, if only his gun did more damage.

notworksafe

Anticitizen One said:
I beat the game. I was just wondering since it seemed like a big departure from the old games.
Eh, retcons. The whole timeline thing is a perfect excuse to redo parts of the story they didn't like.

Big One

Banned
Was just glancing over at gamefaqs and someone named capcom_rep who claims to be lupinko says that the next two DLC chararacters are
The Great Kung Lao
and
Vorpax
. Anyone want to verify?

MThanded

Big One said:
Was just glancing over at gamefaqs and someone named capcom_rep who claims to be lupinko says that the next two DLC chararacters are
The Great Kung Lao
and
Vorpax
. Anyone want to verify?
Does not compute

fernoca

Vorpax? :p
She's a character from the TV series..wouldn't make any sense.

Art Lean from the first MK movie and killed by Goro has more possibilities than her. :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
notworksafe said:
Eh, retcons. The whole timeline thing is a perfect excuse to redo parts of the story they didn't like.

99% of the backstory in the old games was told via text synopsis during character splash screens anyway. I admit, some of the retcons seem not so much bad, as simply not required - as if they were slightly overthinking how to tie all the characters together so that everyone had a meaningful relationship with everyone else.

If you think about it, the only character in MK9's story, I think, who isn't inherently embroiled with someone else's backstory and drama... is Johnny Cage. He really is just this guy who got on the wrong boat and ended up on an adventure!

notworksafe

As far as DLC, as long as that lame ass Shujinko isn't one of them I'm okay. I'd prefer no Jarek or Reiko either if possible.

Everyone else is fair game I suppose.

Big One

Banned
I think the most obvious retcon is who actually participated in the tournament.

6Fl6Y.png

Remember that MK1 stage with all of the statues? I always figured this was kind of representative at who was participating.

Shaolin Monks also has the same set of statues only with new costume designs.

Rain and Fujin are the only two I'd particularly care about top of my head. It would be awesome if we could fight against Motaro too.

No one here has unlocked the "You Found Me!" achievement/trophy?

Xevren

Squall ASF said:
Rain and Fujin are the only two I'd particularly care about top of my head. It would be awesome if we could fight against Motaro too.

No one here has unlocked the "You Found Me!" achievement/trophy?

I have all 4 of the trophies for the hidden fights.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Big One said:
I think the most obvious retcon is who actually participated in the tournament.

6Fl6Y.png

Remember that MK1 stage with all of the statues? I always figured this was kind of representative at who was participating.

Shaolin Monks also has the same set of statues only with new costume designs.

My gut tells me that on the Earth Warrior side, they put Nightwolf there because in his expanded backstory his spiritual awareness had always put him in contact with Earthrealm's gods, such as Raiden.

So, when Raiden was assembling the party of "official" Earth reps, Nightwolf would be someone who like Kang, Raiden could formally approach and ask to join in the fight.

On Team Evil's side, Quan Chi is almost certainly there to drive home his EVIL PLOTTING throughout the entire saga.

fernoca

Plus the statues back then didn't even made sense.
Why would Shagn Tsung order the creation of those statues? Did he really knew those were the exact fighters that will end in the finals, how they were going to look and what they going to when they won matches? :p

Were the ones making the statues really that lazy that they decided to to only make one ninja-statue, when there were 2 ninjas; because "well, they look the same so why bother"?

:p

Big One

Banned
fernoca said:
Why would Shagn Tsung order the creation of those statues? Did he really knew those were the exact fighters that will end in the finals, how they were going to look and what they going to when they won matches? :p

Were the ones making the statues really that lazy that they decided to to only make one ninja-statue, when there were 2 ninjas; because "well, they look the same so why bother"?

Well Shang Tsung thought this was going to be THE tournament for Shao Kahn to finally take Earthrealm hence why Goro is in the center. Didn't end up too well for him, however.

sleepykyo

fernoca said:

Because it wasn't the first iteration. Everyone is just assuming this is the first reset. That Liu Kang is right next to Goro is a warning.

insert ShamylanTwistjpeg here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom