• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2D4

Banned
Arde5643 said:

If blocked, 2,2,4.

If hit, 2,2, ice ball.

2,2 is also Sub's main AA outside of uppercut and ice clone - and is faster than either.

That's it.

What do the numbers mean?

Xevren

Squall ASF said:
Could you pretty please provide your strategy for double flawlessing Shang Tsung? Unless you used Kratos since I have the 360 version...

I wasn't even trying to get it, just kind of fell into it. Was using Sektor and was just using my standard bnb's. He kept wanting to throw fireballs so I just kept using teleport combo's with him.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The SF snob in me is trying his best to like this game, but just can't. This is going back. It's an admirable attempt, but it's still quite rough around the edges.

I bought this based on all the good feedback it's been getting.

Long story short, I didn't know so many people could tolerate dial-a-combo in 2011. :(

Irish

DaCocoBrova said:
The SF snob in me is trying his best to like this game, but just can't. This is going back. It's an admirable attempt, but it's still quite rough around the edges.

That's too bad. The two things I've never wanted to be were a PC elitist and a SF snob. I feel like it would ruin my enjoyment of life in general. :p

On Xbox Live, how do you join a friend, someone in your party, who has created a King of the Hill room without them quitting the current one and creating a new one just to invite someone?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
DaCocoBrova said:

DaCocoBrova
Finally bought a new fighting game, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
(Today, 09:11 PM)
Reply | Quote

LaserBuddha said:

Long story short, I didn't know so many people could tolerate dial-a-combo in 2011. :(
lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
LaserBuddha said:

3 hit combo strings is hardly dial-a-combo.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
LaserBuddha said:

The dial-a-combos aren't meant to be your main arsenal. They're really meant to be combo "starters", from which you branch out and create your own combos.

Seraphis Cain said:
The dial-a-combos aren't meant to be your main arsenal. They're really meant to be combo "starters", from which you branch out and create your own combos.

Understandable, but I don't like having to memorize a dozen random combinations of face buttons period. Not even on one character, much less all these others. How are people really going to keep all of that straight without sticking to 1 or 2 characters exclusively?

Saying "you do other stuff after the dial-a-combo" doesn't really change anything when I'm complaining about having to do the dial-a-combos to begin with.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
LaserBuddha said:
Understandable, but I don't like having to memorize a dozen random combinations of face buttons period. Not even on one character, much less all these others. How are people really going to keep all of that straight without sticking to 1 or 2 characters exclusively?

Saying "you do other stuff after the dial-a-combo" doesn't really change anything when I'm complaining about having to do the dial-a-combos to begin with.
How do you play any fighting game? MK9 is alot easier than ssf4, or mvc3 in that regard when it comes to long damaging combos.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
LaserBuddha said:

You don't have to memorize a dozen inputs, can you handle 3? 3 whole buttons. Like X, X, Y is just murdering your brain?

fernoca

re: Hair
It's (apparently) an "engine thing" [i.e. Unreal] more than anything. There are not many Unreal-made games with characters with lots of hair...even Epic's own Gears of War didn't had nice hair till..Gears of War 3...which hasn't been released yet.

It still looks bad, so part of the reason goes to the team, because there are workarounds. If you have an engine that doesn't excel in doing things like hair; or don't have the resources or the knowledge to do nice hair...then design the characters with that in mind. Which is why all females in games like Street Fighter IV, Virtua Fighter 5, etc. always have either short hair, or ponytails, braids, etc.

I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll keep this game. While I'm certainly enjoying the single-player campaign, I don't know if I can see myself doing the Challenge Tower. Maybe my mind will change once PSN is back.

Squall ASF said:
Good lord, I found my first true block of adversity! Has anyone pulled off the double flawless on Shang Tsung? Yes I switched it to beginner, 30 second round and I know the fatality screen retry trick but this bastard always seems to get the tinniest little cheap jab in to screw me over :( No way does he play like it's beginner either. He's capable of 8-hit combos...beginner should have them sitting around throwing out a punch here or there.

Anyway, anyone have insight? I have the 360 so can't do the Kratos bow thing I've seen around the net. Get so close with Stryker though, if only his gun did more damage.
I did it earlier with Lui Kang, was a huge pain in the ass. Just do kangs 2,1,3 combo. Push Y, X, B then dash and repeat. Its a little tricky at first but once you get the hang of it its really simple. Double flawless on anyone no problem.

Mileena

Banned
LaserBuddha said:

You must be new to fighting games.

Though I guess in SF4 all you need to remember is the jab button.

Khezu

fernoca said:
re: Hair
It's (apparently) an "engine thing" [i.e. Unreal] more than anything. There are not many Unreal-made games with characters with lots of hair...even Epic's own Gears of War didn't had nice hair till..Gears of War 3...which hasn't been released yet.

It still looks bad, so part of the reason goes to the team, because there are workarounds. If you have an engine that doesn't excel in doing things like hair; or don't have the resources or the knowledge to do nice hair...then design the characters with that in mind. Which is why all females in games like Street Fighter IV, Virtua Fighter 5, etc. always have either short hair, or ponytails, braids, etc.

Oddly enough the best hair I have ever seen in a game is done in the UE3.

Surprised they didn't just give kitana short hair though, most of the hair is ignorable, but kitanas is just so long and crazy. Really can't wait for them to release retro costume DLC. Annoying having to choose between crazy hair or man face with kitana.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Khezu said:
Oddly enough the best hair I have ever seen in a game is done in the UE3.

Surprised they didn't just give kitana short hair though, most of the hair is ignorable, but kitanas is just so long and crazy. Really can't wait for them to release retro costume DLC. Annoying having to choose between crazy hair or man face with kitana.

Jade's hair is pretty ridiculous too, though her's is pulled into a long ponytail.

And there's Sindel too, but...er, yeah. It's Sindel.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
LaserBuddha said:

MVC3 has them, SFXTK will have it, Arcana hearts has it, TTT2 will have it, etc. Chain combos are part of the major fighters. In fact, the only fighter that doesn't really have it is SFIV and the ones that are in it do not exceed 2 hits or 4-5 based on two characters.

SFIV has this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8BfS66tG-o&hd=1 But that is a different beast altogether. "Dial a combos" are infinitely easier to do than FADC combos. A lot of people can't even fadc properly let alone do an extended combo. MK seems to have the best of everything.

Xevren

If I have to choose between the 1 frame links and the dial-a-combo's, I'm staying with my easy combo's. Just have to learn when to commit to your combo's so you're just not swinging around at the air.

DR2K

Banned
LaserBuddha said:

If people can tolerate mash jab into 1/60th of a frame or get killed by an srk fadc ultra combos than they can tolerate anything.

aristotle

Anyone have any tips for beating tower challenge 216? It's where you're Kung Lao vs. Lui Kang and you can only use specials. If you hit him with anything else, you automatically lose.

I can't beat it for some reason and I haven't skipped anything before now. I may on this one.

Fantasmo

aristotle said:
Anyone have any tips for beating tower challenge 216? It's where you're Kung Lao vs. Lui Kang and you can only use specials. If you hit him with anything else, you automatically lose.

I can't beat it for some reason and I haven't skipped anything before now. I may on this one.

Use the Teleport throw a lot (D, U -> FP). Hat toss also. Can't remember if I used dive kick or not.

LaserBuddha said:

Personally I think you've set up your mind about MK and not really interested in liking it.

Dizzy-4U

So, I'll ask here since I didn't have any luck in the "stupid gaming questions" thread.

PS3: Can I connect an USB hub so I can have 4 arcade sticks running at once? Two USB ports aren't enough for tag battles.

scoobs

This game brings me back to like.. 2 generations ago where I'd have friends over to play fighters together, its totally awesome. 4 player tag battles while drinkin a little with your best buds, theres nothing better!

R2D4

Banned
scoobs said:
This game brings me back to like.. 2 generations ago where I'd have friends over to play fighters together, its totally awesome. 4 player tag battles while drinkin a little with your best buds, theres nothing better!

Wish I had friends that were into video games. For some reason the wife isn't interested. :(

aristotle

Dizzy-4U said:
So, I'll ask here since I didn't have any luck in the "stupid gaming questions" thread.

PS3: Can I connect an USB hud so I can have 4 arcade sticks running at once? Two USB ports aren't enough for tag battles.

I don't see why not.

@junkster: thanks. I tried that for a bit, but he always seemed to block. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm too pissy to play it right now lol

fernoca

Dizzy-4U said:

PS3: Can I connect an USB hud so I can have 4 arcade sticks running at once? Two USB ports aren't enough for tag battles.
Was told that you can. But I haven't confirmed it.

So I finally got this. As I'm just getting back into fighting games after never being good at them to begin with, the hardest part for me was getting used to the block button after months and months of SSFIV and MvC3. I did training and messed around with Sub-Zero and Kitana (my two favorites from back in the day) then did the Arcade mode. Got stuck on Ermac with Sub-Zero, switched to Kitana and beat the shit out of him, then got stuck on Sektor with her and switched back to Sub-Zero and beat the shit out of him.

Got to Kintaro and got the shit kicked out of me repeatedly until I got my blocking reflexes attuned to Mortal Kombat. "Shit he knocked me down, okay get up hold back he's gonna fireball you AGH DAMMIT BLOCK BUTTON NOT BACK SONOFABITCH." Anyway, long story short I'm attuned to the block button now.

Going to have to work on combos, though. Not really attuned to anything beyond the "dial-a-combos" yet but today was just my getting used to the MK style. I don't know how many times I accidentally tried to do a L->M->H->S MvC combo just from muscle memory. Yeesh.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Neuromancer said:
Servers down for anyone else? I can't create a room.

This seems to be a common problem. The servers aren't down...you need to exit out of online and go back in until it comes up, or try clearing your 360 cache if that doesn't work.

Dizzy-4U said:

PS3: Can I connect an USB hub so I can have 4 arcade sticks running at once? Two USB ports aren't enough for tag battles.
If you have a BC, PS3 you don't even need a hub (4 ports FTW)

And yeah, a hub works fine.

Lyte Edge said:
This seems to be a common problem. The servers aren't down...you need to exit out of online and go back in until it comes up, or try clearing your 360 cache if that doesn't work.
I tried both, didn't work. :(

Fix your shit, Netherrealm!

Dizzy-4U

_dementia said:
If you have a BC, PS3 you don't even need a hub (4 ports FTW)

And yeah, a hub works fine.
I have one. It YLOD for the 4th time last week. Had to buy a slim to be safe :/

Thanks for the info. I'm buying one tomorrow.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Did you guys know that you can do Reptile's first fatality in invisible mode. It looks pretty sweet. I wonder if other stealth characters can do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom