• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankfurt

Banned
fernoca said:
re: Hair
It's (apparently) an "engine thing" [i.e. Unreal] more than anything. There are not many Unreal-made games with characters with lots of hair...even Epic's own Gears of War didn't had nice hair till..Gears of War 3...which hasn't been released yet.

It still looks bad, so part of the reason goes to the team, because there are workarounds. If you have an engine that doesn't excel in doing things like hair; or don't have the resources or the knowledge to do nice hair...then design the characters with that in mind. Which is why all females in games like Street Fighter IV, Virtua Fighter 5, etc. always have either short hair, or ponytails, braids, etc.

Alice Returns has nice hair. Bullestorm too. Gears 3 (but then, I haven't seen any gears 3 cutscenes, just played in-game beta with Anya).

i am not even much into fighting games but bought this because i really enjoyed the demo. i have been loving this game even with PSN being down. So much single player content! I am very happy I got this game and I am actually getting the hang of a few characters. I am looking forward to getting my ass whooped online when PSN comes back on. Still not sure if I will ever have a "main" because I enjoy playing too many of them.

Frankfurt said:
Alice Returns has nice hair. Bullestorm too. Gears 3 (but then, I haven't seen any gears 3 cutscenes, just played in-game beta with Anya).
p1IVG.png

They can't compete with MK.

Sblargh

Banned
I am getting a bit too used to Sindel right now. Feels weird to jump back without the option to down-forward a projectile.
Also, she has something that is irrelevant against the CPU, but looks really really good against humans. It's a string that hits high-low-medium. (2 - 1 - df4)

fernoca

Frankfurt said:
Yep, all more recent and 2 even made by Epic, which created the Unreal Engine; Gears 2 (Anya's hair was just a texture). But through years it was well known that the engine had problems in that aspect, unless you spend a good amount of time on it. Which is why many games that used the engine usually had male character with short hair or bald, females with really short hair, or caps on super-gel... Epic even was constantly talking and praising what they achieved in Gears 1/2 just to create Dom's hair...yet, look at Anya's hair back then:

qYdbN.jpg

Which is what I said. Netherrealm is still getting used to Unreal Engine, as it showed by the 'vs DC Universe' game being lo-res and even blurry on PS3; compared to this recent game which is 720p and not blurry.

So, instead of using alternatives to avoid making hair, since it was a problem they also had in DCU; they decide to put a few characters with even longer hair. Next time, they should avoid having characters with so much hair, or look for alternatives.

Or have someone dedicated to the hair, which is what a few companies tend to do; when they want hair to look really nice. Then again, we don't know if better hair would be more taxing and therefore cause problems to achieve 60 frames per second; so it will be better to just cut their hair. :p

Beat the Story Mode in one sitting and was stuck on the final fight for a good 2 hours haha. No plans on playing that mode again anytime soon haha.

fallagin

Just saw the giant bomb mk tournament today, that was pretty entertaining and makes me want to get the game. It would be awesome for me and my buddies to play. I just don't have the cash right now though.

fernoca

fallagin said:
Just saw the giant bomb mk tournament today, that was pretty entertaining and makes me want to get the game. It would be awesome for me and my buddies to play. I just don't have the cash right now though.
Live in US? + Toys R US? + $10 coupon = $30: GO!!!!

Pneophen

Neo Member
Khezu said:
Tekken notations, 1=FP 2=BP 3=FK 4=BK
I wonder why the MK games stopped using the number notation. They had them for the past 4 games. I kind of wish they had included a combo challenge mode in this since this game seems more suited for it than MK v DC.

holy shit, I'm trying to get the hidden
Reptile fight
achievement in Ladder mode and
The Pit
will not pop up at all! It's reeally frustrating..and yes I have been restarting to the main menu. I just did that for almost an hour.

Xevren

Emperor Bohe said:
holy shit, I'm trying to get the hidden
Reptile fight
achievement in Ladder mode and
The Pit
will not pop up at all! It's reeally frustrating..and yes I have been restarting to the main menu. I just did that for almost an hour.

Since PSN was down and that was the last one I needed to finish up ladder I kept trying for it. Took me nearly 2 fucking hours before that damn stage would pop up, then it took another 15 just to see the wanker needed to get it going. I blame PSN being down for me doing that crap.

Xevren said:
Since PSN was down and that was the last one I needed to finish up ladder I kept trying for it. Took me nearly 2 fucking hours before that damn stage would pop up, then it took another 15 just to see the wanker needed to get it going. I blame PSN being down for me doing that crap.

The worst part is that I'm on Xbox Live and I'm still trying for this shit. Fuck it, I just wasted an hour of my life.

fernoca

Or what happened with me and "another of those fights". XD

No problems in Ladder, go to Shang Tsung perform a double flawless easily..oh sorry, you missed 1 fatality in the previous 7 fights.

Go back, perform the needed 7 fatalities..and Shang Tsung's a bitch that it's easy to beat, but always manages to do a fireball that teleports along with me too (I'm using Scorpion, for this)...1 hour later still no luck. So, yeah... I'll try later. :p

malfcn

Throwing is totally random. There is a considerable amount of time that I go in for a punish and whiff 2-3 times. Just now jumped over a spear by Scorpion and went to throw, it whiffed twice and then I got hit by his xray.

Anyone else have that issue?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
malfcn said:
Throwing is totally random. There is a considerable amount of time that I go in for a punish and whiff 2-3 times. Just now jumped over a spear by Scorpion and went to throw, it whiffed twice and then I got hit by his xray.

Anyone else have that issue?

You can't throw during some animations, they can also crouch your throws. Crouch blocking gets thrown IIRC.

Xevren

Papercuts said:
You can't throw during some animations, they can also crouch your throws. Crouch blocking gets thrown IIRC.

Yeah. I don't think you can throw people when they're recovering from whiffed specials/whatever. So it's always best to find the fastest way to start a combo or even just use an uppercut.

orion434

Completed the Tower last night, the key to tough matches is NEVER hit start + Retry. If the match is not going well just commit suicide against the opponent... after dying several times Milena & Shao Kahn were much easier and I gained back much health between opponents. Now all I have left are the Master all Fighters & Online Achievements left.

luffeN

Damn, how can they change the moves from Liu Kang? In MK3 it was FF FP or FF BP for his fireballs and FF FK and not back front motions :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
rayner said:
Completed the Tower last night, the key to tough matches is NEVER hit start + Retry. If the match is not going well just commit suicide against the opponent... after dying several times Milena & Shao Kahn were much easier and I gained back much health between opponents. Now all I have left are the Master all Fighters & Online Achievements left.

I want to know who the hell is ever going to get that trophy. 24 hours of play time with EVERY CHARACTER? Yeah, fuck that. D:

RS4-

banKai said:
Damn, how can they change the moves from Liu Kang? In MK3 it was FF FP or FF BP for his fireballs and FF FK and not back front motions :(

Probably stop people from accidentally dashing

orion434

Seraphis Cain said:
I want to know who the hell is ever going to get that trophy. 24 hours of play time with EVERY CHARACTER? Yeah, fuck that. D:

Tag Matches and leave the game on overnight with a wired controller. 336 hours...

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Seraphis Cain said:

dose it count as character play time if you pause the game while in a match?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
fernoca said:
Or what happened with me and "another of those fights". XD

No problems in Ladder, go to Shang Tsung perform a double flawless easily..oh sorry, you missed 1 fatality in the previous 7 fights.

Go back, perform the needed 7 fatalities..and Shang Tsung's a bitch that it's easy to beat, but always manages to do a fireball that teleports along with me too (I'm using Scorpion, for this)...1 hour later still no luck. So, yeah... I'll try later. :p

You don't need to perform fatalities on all the previous 7 fights, I don't think. You just can't lose a single round. Double flawless on Shang, perform fatality on him, done.

rayner said:
Tag Matches and leave the game on overnight with a wired controller. 336 hours...

I occassionally boot up training mode when I'm working... if I get the chance, I'll exit out and screw around some (ladder/tower), if not, I leave it running. Sonya and Sindel are now probably my most used characters... I try to pick characters I'm pretty sure would be rare for me to play online once PSN comes back up.

I wonder if Kratos counts? That would make the PS3 version more "difficult" to attain as it would add another 24 hours to the total time (and 100 fatalities/victories/etc.)

orion434

corrosivefrost said:
I occassionally boot up training mode when I'm working... if I get the chance, I'll exit out and screw around some (ladder/tower), if not, I leave it running. Sonya and Sindel are now probably my most used characters... I try to pick characters I'm pretty sure would be rare for me to play online once PSN comes back up.

I wonder if Kratos counts? That would make the PS3 version more "difficult" to attain as it would add another 24 hours to the total time (and 100 fatalities/victories/etc.)

On the X360 there are 27 characters so you'd have 1-odd-man-out so adding another + Tag Matches would actually be the same time commitment. Though you will have to do the other requirements... slightly longer... not harder.

.la1n

malfcn said:
Anyone else bothered by the Subway fatality..that both trains are going in the same direction?

Anyone else bothered that we are fighting in multiple dimensions as demons, sorcerors, and all kinds of undead outwordly creatures.

I'm really just messing with you, but ya Mortal Kombat, serious business right?

Wow, I just got to Lui Kang's part in the story mode and I think I have a new favorite fighter. Besides his little voice, he's so fast. After learning his flying kicks I've gotten so much better.

i noticed the X button on one of the transforming d-pad controllers I got is mushy/sticky already :( (only a few weeks old). I've gotta think its some pop or juice that some how got inside the controller which is gunking it up because i haven't used it that much. Gonna see if I can get one of those torx screw drivers and clean/fix the inside. MK feels awful using that controller right now which sucks because I got it specifically for MK.

Scorpion is to cheap in this game, has too many useful moves and unblockable hellfire which is near instant damage, I know i've said before but i'll say it again :p

Interfectum

I love fighting against Scorpion players. They all do the same shit.

My new fear are people who are good with Mileena or Raiden. My god they can be bastards in the right hands.

VGChampion said:
Wow, I just got to Lui Kang's part in the story mode and I think I have a new favorite fighter. Besides his little voice, he's so fast. After learning his flying kicks I've gotten so much better.
Yeah his little yips are annoying, I really like his bicycle kick though.

Seraphis Cain said:
Yeah no fucking way. I accidentally got a secret achievement last night, I was pretty pumped because I didn't figure on getting any of those. Still not sure how I did it. It was the
Noob Saibot
ladder fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom